PSU Live Streamer

Employee states Sony recalled original PlayStation 4 controllers from stores

source

In purchasing the PlayStation 4 at launch, or even an additional DUALSHOCK 4 controller, many consumers have noticed the rubber on the analogue stick coming off, particularly the left analogue. In asking around, to ensure this was not an isolated problem with just our controllers, since we purchased the system and an extra controller, I asked around and found that this is very common among other PlayStation 4 owners. It was not the continuous Resogun-action that resulted in this left-only analogue stick dilemma.

In checking out the PlayStation 4 display at a local Best Buy, the issue was certainly noted there, as well. It is rather odd that it seems to be an issue with just one analogue stick and not both. Pictures can be seen above of the display and the controller issue.

A source, which will remain anonymous-but I will say is in the form of a Best Buy manager, told me this weekend that the controllers were collected and replaced with new ones. This was not reported in the news that Sony was doing their part to correct the issue to leave the customer assured that there will be no further complications in this department. This is odd as well because one would think it would be great to address to the public. Sony did seem to respond to this concern back in January to TheSixAxis stating:
    A very small number of users have reported to us that the rubber surface of their Wireless Controller DUALSHOCK®4′s analogue sticks have torn.
    Although the rubber material of the analogue sticks fulfils our quality assurance standard, we will inspect individual DUALSHOCK®4 controllers experiencing this symptom, and will replace them with new ones for free as long as they are within the warranty.
    In purchasing a second PlayStation 4 console for my home, to minimize arguments on whose turn it is to play it in a family of passionate gamers (myself, my husband, and my three sons), I noticed that the rubber on the analogue sticks are a bit different. Rather than a soft gummy feel to them, they seem a bit sturdier with a different texture that is a bit bumpy and seemingly tougher. With no issues with the new system's controller, I am crossing my fingers that the issue is resolved.

While I believe the "very small number of users" is not quite accurate, there is definitely hope as the problem seems to have been addressed. For those who have an issue with the PlayStation 4's DUALSHOCK 4 controller, similar to the one seen in the images above, contact customer support at 1-800-345-SONY. You will need to send in a photocopy of the receipt, which, from a consumer's standpoint, I do not agree with this, since it is quite evident that this is a known issue. What happens to those who received it as a gift? All that should be needed is the serial number to the distressed controller. I have one controller that is currently sent out to them and I am awaiting my replacement, before I send my second one out, because I surely do not want to be out two controllers at once. They gave an estimate of two weeks, in total, to receive my replacement and unfortunately, it has been out for a little over two weeks now. I can't imagine being out two controllers for that long.

Come find me on Twitch.tv!

Racing Game Fanatic
    PSN ID
    gold106gti
    Items Title StyleVitaPS3 Slim
    I thought we had all moved on from this
    PSN ID: gold106gti

Twitter ID: Duffman1986

My New Youtube Gaming Channel: Duffman Gaming

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    My sticks are fine. Meh.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

PSU Live Streamer
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffman1986 View Post
    I thought we had all moved on from this
    I didn't post this to ruffle feathers on an old topic. More to give light to the fact that Sony has responded to the issue.

Come find me on Twitch.tv!

Superior Member

I've heard of this issue. Hopefully it is fixed.

PSN ID
    sayyestoweed
    People just need to not be so rough with their controllers ive had mine since launch and nothing is wrong with the joystick and i play at least 4-7 hours of gameplay everyday even more on the weekends.

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by AttackTitan View Post
    I've heard of this issue. Hopefully it is fixed.
    Yeah, so have I. There was probably a number of defective units that were recalled. I've looked at my controllers several times after reading about this, but I've never seen any issues with them.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    I heard to replace mine just over a week ago. I'll keep doing it until my warranty runs out.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by shepard View Post
    I didn't post this to ruffle feathers on an old topic. More to give light to the fact that Sony has responded to the issue.

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    berts08
    Items User name styleManchester United
Gift received at 11-19-2011 from Cuguy
Message: couldn't find a reason the shop would deny you the purchase, so here ya go
    Mine is starting to tear off

“Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.” Arthur C. Clarke

PSN ID: berts08

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    N0REGARD4LIFE
    Items PlayStationDiceBattlefield 3
    I have 195 hours logged on BF4, played through Tomb Raider, Resogun, Don't Starve, Warframe.....sticks on both of my controllers still look new.

Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3Assassins Creed EzioCoD: World at War

Employee states Sony recalled original PlayStation 4 controllers from stores

Amazon replaced both of mine and new ones have the covers on, don't want to run the risk if it happening again just in case.

Extensively covered in the other thread and we know it's not a massive number of effected compared to the amount sold but please don't insinuate that because your controller is fine others must be abusing there's for it to fall to bits because that's bull$#@!.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Overseer
    "It is rather odd that it seems to be an issue with just one analogue stick and not both."

umm umm because you use your left analog stick more often.

Thread Information