Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Superior Member

Here's Why Titanfall Won't Help Xbox One Sales

http://www.fool.com/investing/genera...one-sales.aspx

Makes a lot of sense if you think about it. I know I'm getting the 360 version.

Here's Why Titanfall Won't Help Xbox One Sales

Source: Titanfall.com
    Sales of Microsoft's (NASDAQ: MSFT ) Xbox One have fallen behind Sony's (NYSE:SNE ) rival PlayStation 4 console. Xbox One had an early advantage with a better spate of launch games, but most of the subsequent top-selling games were available for both consoles. Microsoft is betting big on the recently released Titanfall, and gamer anticipation crashed Xbox Live on launch day. But will the title help boost sales of Xbox One?
    Titanfall is a sci-fi-themed, multiplayer, first-person shooter that allows players to take on the role of either the hero -- soldier types called pilots -- or the gigantic, enemy-squishing robots fighting against the soldiers. The game comes from publishing Goliath Electronic Arts and is exclusive to Microsoft platforms. Early reviews were positive, with gaming site IGN awardingTitanfall a score of 8.9 out of 10.
    But while Titanfall should boost Microsoft's sales in general, the title is not likely to help bridge the gap between the One and the PS4.
    Titanfall's Xbox One boost
    Microsoft released new Titanfall Xbox One bundles that have created a substantial sales boost. The Guardian reports that sales of the One console in the U.K. went up 96% the week of Titanfall's release. And 70% of all Ones sold that week in the region were the special bundle. But sales of the PlayStation 4 were up more than 72% in the same week, partly due to console shortages that are creating sales spikes once back in stock.
    So while Titanfall's release is going to help Microsoft improve its own sales numbers, it won't skyrocket sales to the point that the Xbox One will pull ahead of the PS4. Sony's console has simply had too large of a head start.
    Xbox One sales fall behind
    Microsoft had the early advantage, as the Xbox One bore a more impressive spate of launch-day titles than the PlayStation 4. But most of the top-selling games released in the interim were sold for both consoles. And that allowed PlayStation 4 to gain a substantial lead due to a combination of player preference and pricing.

Source: VGChartz
    At the time of writing, the Xbox One sold about half as many consoles as the PlayStation 4. The PS4 has also already outsold the Wii U, which was released in late 2012.
    But the newer consoles didn't release with an avalanche of games. And neither console is currently backwards-compatible -- the Xbox One can't play Xbox 360 games and the PS4 can't play PS3 games. So the companies rely on console-exclusive titles to reel in more buyers.
    And that's where Titanfall's problem arises.
    Titanfall crosses platforms
    Titanfall is a Microsoft exclusive but will release for both the Xbox One and Xbox 360. And the older console remains popular, since it has dropped to a reasonable price and currently has a wider assortment of games available. The Xbox 360 has nearly matched sales of Sony's older console, PlayStation 3.

Source: VGChartz
    So Microsoft will suffer a cannibalism problem with Titanfall. The company tried to delay the inevitable by having Electronic Arts postpone the release of the title's Xbox 360 version until mid-April, supposedly to give the game designers more time to work. But less than a month between release dates won't prove wide enough to drive all the Xbox 360 owners into console upgrades.
    Foolish final thoughts
    Titanfall is proving wildly popular, and Microsoft has reason to celebrate. But the game won't create a large enough boost to Xbox One sales to catch up with the PS4 -- not even with the Xbox 360 release delay.

I don't need no stinkin' signature!

2. Likes VayMasters86 likes this post
    Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Won't really know what kind of impact TF had until next month. There is no doubt X1 will win March in my mind. But by how much?
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Games being out on the previous gen console and PC as well are one reason I have not bought either PS4 or XBone.
    Last edited by keefy; 03-23-2014 at 22:18.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    Won't really know what kind of impact TF had until next month. There is no doubt X1 will win March in my mind. But by how much?
    Would be pathetic if it doesnt! I mean Sony is raising the price of ps4 is some regions. Even out selling the ps4 by a small margin will not be good by any means. I expect a blow out and nothing less

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Master Sage
    Surprising they haven't mentioned it passing 1 million sales yet.
    I thought most of the existing user base would have gotten this game given the mass amount of advertising it received.

Superior Member

But how much attribute to bundling and giving game away for free?

and how much due to price cut?

Essentially comes down to $110 price cut in some region.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    thanatos144
    They should have done more then just pay EA to not let Sony have a port.... with the pc version being better and it coming out on the 360 it seems to be a waste of money. EA played Microsoft hard

tapatalk post

Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by AttackTitan View Post
    But how much attribute to bundling and giving game away for free?

and how much due to price cut?

Essentially comes down to $110 price cut in some region.
    That's what I'm saying. Tons of incentives to buy an X1 this month.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.

Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Lol @ fool.com. I guess we will find out sooner or later if it did help. My guess is that it did. Right now it's the killer app for xb1.

Microsoft released new Titanfall Xbox One bundles that have created a substantial sales boost. The Guardian reports that sales of the One console in the U.K. went up 96% the week of Titanfall's release. And 70% of all Ones sold that week in the region were the special bundle.
    sometimes I think gaming journalist just write this stuff for the hell of it.
    Last edited by Sub-stance1; 03-24-2014 at 01:47.

11. Likes mistercrow likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Depends how you look at it, world wide PS4 will still smash it without even breaking a sweat.
    We will likely see a nice bump in UK, US and Australia (Too small to be worth a damn here.)

The real problem is Titan Fall is one game, Xbox really needs a stream of exclusive hits one after the other.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

PSU Technical Advisor
    I think the already lower price of the PS4 coupled with Second Son will result in a net win worldwide against the Xbox One for March.

According to various metrics, Infamous is more anticipated of the two Next-Gen wise. It also looks incredible, the eye candy really helps sell it. It looks good in screen shots and trailers so it is easier to sell to window shoppers.

Titanfall, on the other hand, charitably looks like a last gen game. Not even a particularly impressive last gen game at that.

Quote Originally Posted by mickice View Post
    Depends how you look at it, world wide PS4 will still smash it without even breaking a sweat.
    We will likely see a nice bump in UK, US and Australia (Too small to be worth a damn here.)

The real problem is Titan Fall is one game, Xbox really needs a stream of exclusive hits one after the other.
    Yeah, I'm really talking about areas where shooters have done well. NPDs will have X1 with a large lead in March. UK, probably the same. Not sure about down under. Asia....nope.

Quote Originally Posted by Vulgotha View Post
    I think the already lower price of the PS4 coupled with Second Son will result in a net win worldwide against the Xbox One for March.

According to various metrics, Infamous is more anticipated of the two Next-Gen wise. It also looks incredible, the eye candy really helps sell it. It looks good in screen shots and trailers so it is easier to sell to window shoppers.

Titanfall, on the other hand, charitably looks like a last gen game. Not even a particularly impressive last gen game at that.
    I really don't have a good feel for what SS will do. Overall momentum and price advantage have spurred PS4 on so far. But can SS sell a significant number of PS4s? I really have no idea.
    Last edited by Christopher; 03-24-2014 at 02:01.

Superior Member

Quote Originally Posted by thanatos144 View Post
    They should have done more then just pay EA to not let Sony have a port.... with the pc version being better and it coming out on the 360 it seems to be a waste of money. EA played Microsoft hard

tapatalk post
    Story is that EA got screwed because they signed the contract thinking X1 will out sell PS4.

Now that PS4 is beating the sales by huge margin, that is all the potential sales EA missed out.

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Story is that EA got screwed because they signed the contract thinking X1 will out sell PS4.

Now that PS4 is beating the sales by huge margin, that is all the potential sales EA missed out.
    Why does that matter?
    How were they screwed exactly?

Given that the XBO has sold faster than it's predecessor, and EA would have known how many units they realistically expected to have available to the public after 4 months on the market, the figures likely are bang on or exceed what EA woudl have thought was the target market.
    It's not like the XBo has sold only 300k or something.

Could they have sold more with the PS4 in the mix, yes. COuld they have sold more had they gone PS4 exlcusives, yes.
    But in no way did they get "screwed" they went in and they woudl have known how many units they were realistically going to sell, and the fact that the XBO has exceed previous gen at this time would mean they are likely quite happy with the figures.

They do the maths before they go into these deals.

17. Likes mistercrow likes this post
    Superior Member
    PSN ID
    thanatos144
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    Why does that matter?
    How were they screwed exactly?

Given that the XBO has sold faster than it's predecessor, and EA would have known how many units they realistically expected to have available to the public after 4 months on the market, the figures likely are bang on or exceed what EA woudl have thought was the target market.
    It's not like the XBo has sold only 300k or something.

Could they have sold more with the PS4 in the mix, yes. COuld they have sold more had they gone PS4 exlcusives, yes.
    But in no way did they get "screwed" they went in and they woudl have known how many units they were realistically going to sell, and the fact that the XBO has exceed previous gen at this time would mean they are likely quite happy with the figures.

They do the maths before they go into these deals.
    Sold faster but not better. The Xbox one is not selling awesome

tapatalk post

Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Story is that EA got screwed because they signed the contract thinking X1 will out sell PS4
    Maybe they won't get the sales they would of got with the game being on ps4, but i wouldnt say they got screwed. The risk with that game is no different than any other exclusive.

[Now that PS4 is beating the sales by huge margin, that is all the potential sales EA missed out.
    What's done is done. Now, I'm sure EA knew the risks in doing a deal like this. It's not like they came away empty handed. The game is a success and I'm sure they got some some green from MS for the deal. It's not their IP anyway. I think people should be thankful that it was who ended up with the publishing deal. If it was MS this game probably would be locked in on Xbox for years to come.
    Last edited by Sub-stance1; 03-24-2014 at 03:10.

Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    Previously, I stated that the xbone would have to hit 400k in the states for me to consider Titanfall a successful system seller. That was with the game included and at $499. Now there's all sorts of xbone deals going on this month. $399(idk if MS honored those sales on their site);$450 recently;Forza 5 bundles. I'm expecting a min of 450k for March in the states.

They shipped 3.9m as of 2013. I'm expecting at least 2.5m sold for the qt of jan-mar.

Destiny and Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor is all I need for the rest of the year.

As of right now, F Destiny.

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Sold faster but not better. The Xbox one is not selling awesome

tapatalk post
    LOL, define "awesome".
    Its the fastest selling console MS has ever sold.

22. Likes mistercrow likes this post
    Superior Member
    PSN ID
    thanatos144
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    LOL, define "awesome".
    Its the fastest selling console MS has ever sold.
    Not awesome because it is not selling. They are barely making money. Also it was only the fastest selling for what a month?

tapatalk post

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Not awesome because it is not selling. They are barely making money. Also it was only the fastest selling for what a month?

tapatalk post
    MS shifted 1.5 million Xbox 360 in their 1st quarter.
    MS shifted 3.9 million Xbox One in their 1st quarter.

They could not sell another unit from there until March and STILL be faster selling than the 360.

We have no way of knowing if they are making money on the One but they made 411 million dollars in the last 1/4 in the Devices and Consumer Hardware division. That's more than twice the profits someone else made.

25. Likes Yungstar 2006, mistercrow likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    For the Xbox Brand its the best so far, but nintendo is basically a non contender with the Wii U and the PS4 is smashing that good figure x2.

The beating will only get worse since it is a weaker system for a higher price.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by mickice View Post
    For the Xbox Brand its the best so far, but nintendo is basically a non contender with the Wii U and the PS4 is smashing that good figure x2.

The beating will only get worse since it is a weaker system for a higher price.
    The last number we heard for both at the same time was 4.2 vs 3.9
    While Sony has since announced 6 million, MS hasn't announced anything.
    We don't know what the actual gap is. We wont know till April sometime after both announce their 1/4 figures.

Forum Elder
    So thread tittle is wrong then.

Valar Morghulis
    PSN ID
    SerinousTSE
    Items PS3 FatVitaPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    Lol @ fool.com.
    What's wrong with opinion articles from Motley Fool?

Hate to call you out, but as I recall, once upon a time you also posted an opinion piece from that site as well. And it was a piece favoring the MS brand. Now all of a sudden you "lol" at the site as if it has no credibility? lol.

Miqo'te Bard
    Items New User TitleProtect yourselfFull Metal AlchemistFangDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverBattlefield 3Title StyleUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Serinous View Post
    What's wrong with opinion articles from Motley Fool?

Hate to call you out, but as I recall, once upon a time you also posted an opinion piece from that site as well. And it was a piece favoring the MS brand. Now all of a sudden you "lol" at the site as if it has no credibility? lol.
    If that does not show you how much of a t sub is that he contradicts himself, much like a few others, then nothing will. That is why you can never take anything he says seriously ever.
    I have twitter to https://twitter.com/GamerYuichi , Also started youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMu7yRGCz8QrTyxaNVR3Tqw I don't always twitch, but when I can you can find my noobness http://www.twitch.tv/yuichimccry,

31. Likes Two4DaMoney likes this post

Thread Information