Page 1 of 4 1 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    PSN ID
    snooper71
    Items Naughty Dog

Oculus acquired by Facebook

From the horses mouth himself
    Mark Zuckerberg
    I'm excited to announce that we've agreed to acquire Oculus VR, the leader in virtual reality technology.

Our mission is to make the world more open and connected. For the past few years, this has mostly meant building mobile apps that help you share with the people you care about. We have a lot more to do on mobile, but at this point we feel we're in a position where we can start focusing on what platforms will come next to enable even more useful, entertaining and personal experiences.

This is where Oculus comes in. They build virtual reality technology, like the Oculus Rift headset. When you put it on, you enter a completely immersive computer-generated environment, like a game or a movie scene or a place far away. The incredible thing about the technology is that you feel like you're actually present in another place with other people. People who try it say it's different from anything they've ever experienced in their lives.

Oculus's mission is to enable you to experience the impossible. Their technology opens up the possibility of completely new kinds of experiences.

Immersive gaming will be the first, and Oculus already has big plans here that won't be changing and we hope to accelerate. The Rift is highly anticipated by the gaming community, and there's a lot of interest from developers in building for this platform. We're going to focus on helping Oculus build out their product and develop partnerships to support more games. Oculus will continue operating independently within Facebook to achieve this.

But this is just the start. After games, we're going to make Oculus a platform for many other experiences. Imagine enjoying a court side seat at a game, studying in a classroom of students and teachers all over the world or consulting with a doctor face-to-face -- just by putting on goggles in your home.

This is really a new communication platform. By feeling truly present, you can share unbounded spaces and experiences with the people in your life. Imagine sharing not just moments with your friends online, but entire experiences and adventures.

These are just some of the potential uses. By working with developers and partners across the industry, together we can build many more. One day, we believe this kind of immersive, augmented reality will become a part of daily life for billions of people.

Virtual reality was once the dream of science fiction. But the internet was also once a dream, and so were computers and smartphones. The future is coming and we have a chance to build it together. I can't wait to start working with the whole team at Oculus to bring this future to the world, and to unlock new worlds for all of us.
    Good thing? Bad thing? Share your thoughts below!

(not sure if this belonged in Other gaming or tech, move at your discretion)

Next Gen top picks:
    PS4: Infamous SS, DriveClub
    One: Project spark, Forza 5
    Multi: Watchdogs, The crew, FFXV, KHIII

Master Sage
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

The Dream is Dead
    RIP VR

3. Likes Mael Duin likes this post
    Veteran
    PSN ID
    snooper71
    Items Naughty Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by HellsJester View Post

The Dream is Dead
    RIP VR
    Or it could spread to a lot more than just gaming and gain massive attraction. Oh those candy crush games! loll

Next Gen top picks:

Master Sage

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Candy Crush VR! Woohoo!

Thank God for Sony's tech..

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

7. Likes snooper71 likes this post
    Master Sage
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by snooper71 View Post
    Or it could spread to a lot more than just gaming and gain massive attraction. Oh those candy crush games! loll
    Not in the joking mood sir. This is seriously the worst news i have heard in a long time.

PSU Technical Advisor
    I don't believe this. I do not freaking believe this.

Well congrats Carmack, you now $#@!ing work for Facebook and that colossal douchebag Zuckerberg.

I honestly don't see this ending well, for anybody. Project Morpheus isn't even slated to really work in the PC space in the near future according to that insider leak so it isn't like there is a replacement waiting in the wings to swoop in and save the day.

All I can think of:

http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/mod/nietzsche-madman.asp
    Last edited by Vulgotha; 03-25-2014 at 23:16.

10. Likes Ezekiel likes this post
    Master Sage
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulgotha View Post
    I don't believe this. I do not freaking believe this.

Well congrats Carmack, you now $#@!ing work for Facebook and that colossal douchebag Zuckerberg.

I honestly don't see this ending well, for anybody. Project Morpheus isn't even slated to really work in the PC space in the near future according to that insider leak so it isn't like there is a replacement waiting in the wings to swoop in and save the day.
    It wont end well. This is the end for VR. 100% Guaranteed!
    I am so angry, sad, and disappointed right now.

Veteran
    /checks calander
    "March 25th..."
    /rechecks calander
    "Nope, not April 1st yet..."

Sent from my One using Tapatalk
    PCs are very much like Air Conditioners.
    They both become utterly useless once you start to open up Windows....
    ----------------------------------------------

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    Lol it'll work out for the better, now they have a proper backing

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

PSU Technical Advisor
    For lo, the sun shall dip below the west and never again peak in the east.

The hearts of men have fled to the recesses in the earth, their minds left to rot upon the broken sands of Menlo Park.

The Sharkfaced God, eldritch in his cosmic Hebrew power of old, has risen and cast down all pantheons before him be they true or false.

Darkness festers in the four corners of Terra, and all good's end is nigh.

No longer does the great Carmack stand at the gates, lending us succor. His will corrupted by the nefarious Sharkfaced God.

The Oculus Rift has fallen into his hands, and so with it the fate of all our kind.

15. Likes Nerevar , HellsJester likes this post
    Elite Sage

I just hope that Sonys VR headset works on PC too...
    Man who chase after bus get exhausted, man who run in front of bus get tired
    Man who masturbates in class has firm grip of subject at hand
    Woman who sink in man's arms soon have arms in man's sink

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Lol. What a $#@!ing joke. What the hell would Facebook want with this? Even better question why would they want to be involved with Facebook.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Veteran
    PSN ID
    snooper71
    Items Naughty Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by PS4freak View Post
    Lol. What a $#@!ing joke. What the hell would Facebook want with this? Even better question why would they want to be involved with Facebook.
    Travel "games"? There's a bigger possibility for travel agency to use a social media like FB to display travel VR to incite customers then there would be if it was aimed at PC gamers only.

We still have Morpheus and apparently it was pretty close to OR crystal cove in terms of experience. Now SONY will be the go to place for VR games. Good for SONY, not so for PC gamers. Maybe down the line, since SONY does not compete with the PC crowd, they might make it compatible?

Next Gen top picks:

PSU Technical Advisor
    Quote Originally Posted by snooper71 View Post
    Travel "games"? There's a bigger possibility for travel agency to use a social media like FB to display travel VR to incite customers then there would be if it was aimed at PC gamers only.

We still have Morpheus and apparently it was pretty close to OR crystal cove in terms of experience. Now SONY will be the go to place for VR games. Good for SONY, not so for PC gamers. Maybe down the line, since SONY does not compete with the PC crowd, they might make it compatible?
    But it's locked down to the PS4.

With the Rift, it was designed for PC's and had devkits and so on. Look, I love my PS4 as much as the next guy but the PC space has far greater possibility.

For instance, just imagine a group of really experienced modders fully converting Skyrim to work on the Rift. I don't mean all the bells and whistles, like motion tracking or whatever, just being able to fully play the game in VR glory.

We don't have that with Morpheus, at least not for a long while. Somebody would have to marry it to the PC and come up with code to make it work unless Sony can be bothered to help them out... Which they're unlikely to do on the short term.

Hell, they won't even release proper driver support on PC's for the DS3 and DS4.

The prophets scryed the tides of fate, and woe to those who ignored them:

http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comme...iend_works_in/
    Last edited by Vulgotha; 03-26-2014 at 00:13.

Elite Sage
    I just wanted my waifu hentai games on Oculus Rift.

Man who chase after bus get exhausted, man who run in front of bus get tired
    Man who masturbates in class has firm grip of subject at hand
    Woman who sink in man's arms soon have arms in man's sink

Veteran
    PSN ID
    snooper71
    Items Naughty Dog
    I rarely post things from other sites but this had me in tears (credit Guymelef @NeoGAF)

Next Gen top picks:

22. Likes SkarEffect, Christopher , Mael Duin likes this post
    Valar Morghulis
    PSN ID
    SerinousTSE
    Items PS3 FatVitaPS3 Slim
    hahahaha

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    kipkebab92
    Well, there goes the future of VR.
    For real.
    They were hoping to put the Oculus out in the future to people FOR FREE. Suckerberg isn't going to let that happen.
    I was planning on ordering a DK2 but $#@! it, not anymore.
    This kid needs to start with understanding that just because you want an app or a game accesory it doesn't $#@!ing mean to buy the whole company. $#@!head.

What's next? $#@!erberg buying Apple? :'/

Valar Morghulis
    PSN ID
    SerinousTSE
    Items PS3 FatVitaPS3 Slim
    I wonder how FB share reacted to this news

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    Um why do people immediately assume that FB will kill the initial dream of what the OR was meant to be?

27. Likes sainraja likes this post
    Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Skullomainia
    They going to give the kick starter backers their moolah back?

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself

Facebook Buys Oculus Rift For $2 Billion

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!! Why oh why did this happen...Facebook of all companies...there goes Oculus...

http://kotaku.com/facebook-buys-ocul...ion-1551487939

Facebook has just announced that it's buying Oculus Rift for $2 billion. Seriously.1234
    "Mobile is the platform of today, and now we're also getting ready for the platforms of tomorrow," Facebook founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg says. "Oculus has the chance to create the most social platform ever, and change the way we work, play and communicate."567
    Oculus are equally chuffed. "We are excited to work with Mark and the Facebook team to deliver the very best virtual reality platform in the world," Brendan Iribe, co-founder and CEO of Oculus VR says in a PR release. "We believe virtual reality will be heavily defined by social experiences that connect people in magical, new ways. It is a transformative and disruptive technology, that enables the world to experience the impossible, and it's only just the beginning."
    Related
    The New Oculus Rift Is Very Cool, And You Can Get One This Year

Ask anyone in video games what new piece of tech has them most excited about the future, and there's a good chance they'll bring up the… Read…

A Filmmaker Says the Oculus Rift Can Make Great Movies, Too

The trailer you're watching here doesn't really do the movie justice. Zero Point is described as the first film shot specifically for the… Read…

The deal is made up of around $400 million in cash payouts, with the rest being made up of Facebook shares. It's not a done deal yet; it's expected to be finalised in Q2 2014.8
    UPDATE - Here's a full statement from Mark Zuckerberg:
    I'm excited to announce that we've agreed to acquire Oculus VR, the leader in virtual reality technology.
    Our mission is to make the world more open and connected. For the past few years, this has mostly meant building mobile apps that help you share with the people you care about. We have a lot more to do on mobile, but at this point we feel we're in a position where we can start focusing on what platforms will come next to enable even more useful, entertaining and personal experiences.
    This is where Oculus comes in. They build virtual reality technology, like the Oculus Rift headset. When you put it on, you enter a completely immersive computer-generated environment, like a game or a movie scene or a place far away. The incredible thing about the technology is that you feel like you're actually present in another place with other people. People who try it say it's different from anything they've ever experienced in their lives.
    Oculus's mission is to enable you to experience the impossible. Their technology opens up the possibility of completely new kinds of experiences.
    Immersive gaming will be the first, and Oculus already has big plans here that won't be changing and we hope to accelerate. The Rift is highly anticipated by the gaming community, and there's a lot of interest from developers in building for this platform. We're going to focus on helping Oculus build out their product and develop partnerships to support more games. Oculus will continue operating independently within Facebook to achieve this.
    But this is just the start. After games, we're going to make Oculus a platform for many other experiences. Imagine enjoying a court side seat at a game, studying in a classroom of students and teachers all over the world or consulting with a doctor face-to-face — just by putting on goggles in your home.
    This is really a new communication platform. By feeling truly present, you can share unbounded spaces and experiences with the people in your life. Imagine sharing not just moments with your friends online, but entire experiences and adventures.
    These are just some of the potential uses. By working with developers and partners across the industry, together we can build many more. One day, we believe this kind of immersive, augmented reality will become a part of daily life for billions of people.
    Virtual reality was once the dream of science fiction. But the internet was also once a dream, and so were computers and smartphones. The future is coming and we have a chance to build it together. I can't wait to start working with the whole team at Oculus to bring this future to the world, and to unlock new worlds for all of us.
    Related
    ​Notch Says He's Canceled Oculus Rift Minecraft Because Of Facebook

The people at Oculus VR are doubtless pretty psyched that Facebook just bought their company for $2 billion. Some game developers, not so much. Read…

UPDATE 2: Hah. Turns out this wasn't a random sighting after all.
    UPDATE 3: Here's Oculus Rift's official statement on the matter.
    We started Oculus with a vision of delivering incredible, affordable, and ubiquitous consumer virtual reality to the world. We've come a long way in the last 18 months: from foam core prototypes built in a garage to an incredible community of active and talented developers with more than 75,000 development kits ordered. In the process, we've defined what consumer virtual reality needs to be and what it's going to require to deliver it.
    A few months ago, Mark, Chris, and Cory from the Facebook team came down to visit our office, see the latest demos, and discuss how we could work together to bring our vision to millions of people. As we talked more, we discovered the two teams shared an even deeper vision of creating a new platform for interaction that allows billions of people to connect in a way never before possible.
    Today, we're pleased to announce that we've joined forces with Facebook to create the best virtual reality platform in the world.
    At first glance, it might not seem obvious why Oculus is partnering with Facebook, a company focused on connecting people, investing in internet access for the world and pushing an open computing platform. But when you consider it more carefully, we're culturally aligned with a focus on innovating and hiring the best and brightest; we believe communication drives new platforms; we want to contribute to a more open, connected world; and we both see virtual reality as the next step.
    Most important, Facebook understands the potential for VR. Mark and his team share our vision for virtual reality's potential to transform the way we learn, share, play, and communicate. Facebook is a company that believes that anything is possible with the right group of people, and we couldn't agree more.
    This partnership is one of the most important moments for virtual reality: it gives us the best shot at truly changing the world. It opens doors to new opportunities and partnerships, reduces risk on the manufacturing and work capital side, allows us to publish more made-for-VR content, and lets us focus on what we do best: solving hard engineering challenges and delivering the future of VR.Over the next 10 years, virtual reality will become ubiquitous, affordable, and transformative, and it begins with a truly next-generation gaming experience. This partnership ensures that the Oculus platform is coming, and that it's going to change gaming forever.
    We'll see you in the Metaverse!
    – Palmer, Brendan, John and the Oculus team

-=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

Master Sage
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungMullah88 View Post
    Um why do people immediately assume that FB will kill the initial dream of what the OR was meant to be?

There is a reason Facebook is nominated for worst company in the world. Its over dude. VR's future is required ads and other bull$#@!. Might as well not even exist anymore.

Veteran
    Looks like Notch has canceled Minecraft for Oculus.
    " There’s nothing about their history that makes me trust them, and that makes them seem creepy to me."
    http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/03/25...-creeps-me-out

Sent from my One using Tapatalk
    PCs are very much like Air Conditioners.
    They both become utterly useless once you start to open up Windows....
    ----------------------------------------------

Thread Information