Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 70
  1. #26
    Superior Member
    funkybudda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    NYC
    PSN ID
    funkybudda
    Posts
    910
    Rep Power
    57
    Points
    1,722 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by PS4THEWIN View Post
    I'm holding off until $349 personally.
    If I have $349 to spend I would update my video card in my gaming PC and I would get more performance and enjoyment than buying a Xbox One. Not to mention same game titles will be cheaper and looks "next gen" on it than that sorry piece of junk.
    You need a users permission to quote them in your sig.

  2. #27
    Forum Overseer
    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    30,525
    Rep Power
    190
    Points
    107,774 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by funkybudda View Post
    If I have $349 to spend I would update my video card in my gaming PC and I would get more performance and enjoyment than buying a Xbox One. Not to mention same game titles will be cheaper and looks "next gen" on it than that sorry piece of junk.
    X1 would last you longer, meaning, 6 years down the road, it will be pumping out graphics that would require you to replace your PC card (3+ years down the road) if you want better-looking games.

    and there are plenty of games that come out on consoles that do not on PC. of course same can be said about PC gaming not coming out on consoles, point being that shouldn't be the deciding factor. there will be plenty of exclusives on PC and consoles to warrant a purchase of the respective platform.

  3. #28
    Supreme Veteran
    keefy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    The Sock Gap
    Posts
    17,695
    Rep Power
    126
    Points
    60,349 (0 Banked)
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    X1 would last you longer, meaning, 6 years down the road, it will be pumping out graphics that would require you to replace your PC card (3+ years down the road) if you want better-looking games.

    and there are plenty of games that come out on consoles that do not on PC. of course same can be said about PC gaming not coming out on consoles, point being that shouldn't be the deciding factor. there will be plenty of exclusives on PC and consoles to warrant a purchase of the respective platform.
    6 year later MS will bring out the the next gen xbox.

  4. #29
    Forum Overseer
    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    30,525
    Rep Power
    190
    Points
    107,774 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    6 year later MS will bring out the the next gen xbox.
    point? it will also cost more money. since his issue is money, i was letting him know that going console would probably bring him more benefit.

  5. #30
    PSU Technical Advisor
    Vulgotha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Age
    24
    Posts
    15,953
    Rep Power
    144
    Points
    106,715 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    The writing is on the wall with this. There's a reason this is happening.

    Get the machine to $300 with or without Kinect 2 (I couldn't care less), Halo 2 Anniversary with its original MP intact (no touch ups) and then maybe we'll talk Microsoft.


  6. #31
    Forum Overseer
    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    30,525
    Rep Power
    190
    Points
    107,774 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulgotha View Post
    The writing is on the wall with this. There's a reason this is happening.

    Get the machine to $300 with or without Kinect 2 (I couldn't care less), Halo 2 Anniversary with its original MP intact (no touch ups) and then maybe we'll talk Microsoft.
    don't think a remake is going to boost much. they just need to deliver at E3 and focus on lowering the cost.

  7. #32
    PSU Technical Advisor
    Vulgotha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Age
    24
    Posts
    15,953
    Rep Power
    144
    Points
    106,715 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Those are my terms for buying one lol.


  8. Likes PS4THEWIN likes this post
  9. #33
    Forum Overseer
    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    30,525
    Rep Power
    190
    Points
    107,774 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulgotha View Post
    Those are my terms for buying one lol.
    ah i see. i guess that i cannot say anything about lol.

  10. #34
    Forum Sage
    Sub-stance1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    9,870
    Rep Power
    77
    Points
    60,062 (0 Banked)
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    6 year later MS will bring out the the next gen xbox.
    No way. I think xb1 will be around at least 10 years before we see anything else from them. 5 years from ow the hardware will still be just as expensive as it is now.
    Last edited by Sub-stance1; 03-26-2014 at 23:46.

  11. #35
    Super Moderator
    Admartian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    New Zealand
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Age
    27
    Posts
    13,026
    Rep Power
    129
    Points
    40,486 (0 Banked)
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    ^Really? PS3/360 were around 7/8 years before the next ones came out. I figure it'll be the same again.

    But will still continue to sell thus fulfilling 10 year cycle.

    #IndieStation4 and proud of it.

  12. #36
    PSU Technical Advisor
    Vulgotha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Age
    24
    Posts
    15,953
    Rep Power
    144
    Points
    106,715 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Admartian View Post
    ^Really? PS3/360 were around 7/8 years before the next ones came out. I figure it'll be the same again.

    But will still continue to sell thus fulfilling 10 year cycle.

    Last gen was way, way longer than normal. This one probably won't be as long.

    It will be 2-3 years shorter.


  13. Likes Shingo likes this post
  14. #37
    Forum Overseer
    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    30,525
    Rep Power
    190
    Points
    107,774 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    No way. I think xb1 will be around at least 10 years before we see anything else from them.
    lol.
    5 years from ow the hardware will still be just as expensive as it is now.
    lol.

  15. Likes AttackTitan, Christopher likes this post
  16. #38
    Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Christopher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Warner Robins, GA
    Age
    43
    Posts
    8,341
    Rep Power
    109
    Points
    68,116 (1,010 Banked)
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    lol.
    lol.
    yeah....pretty much.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

    Server Error Status Thread







  17. #39
    Forum Sage
    Sub-stance1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    9,870
    Rep Power
    77
    Points
    60,062 (0 Banked)
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    We are already at the end of the 1st qtr this year and some big games won't even hit until 2015 and beyond. It's not that neither can launch new consoles, they most likely won't. Just look at what happened with this launch. Game delays, unfinished software and all kinds of other stuff after the long gen we just got out of. So I don't see how they will be ready again in 5 years or less. No way. This isn't the 90s anymore where software wasn't a major part of the console ecosystem.

  18. #40
    Forum Overseer
    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    30,525
    Rep Power
    190
    Points
    107,774 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    no one said it will be 5 years or "less"...

    however you're stating that X1 will cost the same 5 years down the road and MS won't come out with a next-gen console 10 years from now.

    we may not even get a console next-gen but the idea of coming out with whatever this concept is 6-7 years from now will happen. no one in their right mind would wait 10 years to come out with another console in today's market. X1 might have a 10 year console cycle but that has nothing to do with when MS will come out with their next iteration.

  19. #41
    Apprentice
    PS4THEWIN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    459
    Rep Power
    10
    Points
    1,173 (0 Banked)
    Items Scarlett JohanssonGuerrilla GamesDice
    No way this gen goes as long as the last one, my guess is 6 years max...

  20. #42
    Forum Sage
    Sub-stance1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    9,870
    Rep Power
    77
    Points
    60,062 (0 Banked)
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    no one said it will be 5 years or "less"...

    however you're stating that X1 will cost the same 5 years down the road and MS won't come out with a next-gen console 10 years from now.

    we may not even get a console next-gen but the idea of coming out with whatever this concept is 6-7 years from now will happen. no one in their right mind would wait 10 years to come out with another console in today's market. X1 might have a 10 year console cycle but that has nothing to do with when MS will come out with their next iteration.
    There is much more that goes into play than just the hardware makers. Most publishers were united in wanting new hardware this past gen. It doesn't mean the same will happen this time. The same rules still apply. Game development will be even more expensive and we don't know for sure where hardware numbers will be in 5 years. If things don't play out the way they want neither will launch another console till they feel it's the right time. We can take that 5 year stuff and throw it right out the window. Even though they are using 86 tech now, they still aren't pcs. I think it all depends on where both will be at 5 years from now. I honestly think we are moving away from hardware. That where I hope it goes. It's my opinion on the whole thing. I could be wrong.


    Quote Originally Posted by PS4THEWIN View Post
    No way this gen goes as long as the last one, my guess is 6 years max...
    im thinking nintendo may be the only that will......or may have to, unless someone else comes along. I say that because of what's going on around the industry. Layoffs, delays, shrinking studios, cancellations, etc. Too much money being lost right now. Publishers have to be willing to take a chance 5 to 6 years from now. Basically, it's like saying publishers will be developing ps5 and next gen xbox games 3 years from now. Development cost are still gonna be increasing.
    Last edited by Sub-stance1; 03-27-2014 at 01:39.

  21. #43
    Forum Overseer
    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    30,525
    Rep Power
    190
    Points
    107,774 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    There is much more that goes into play than just the hardware makers.

    please do tell all the intricate details.

    Most publishers were united in wanting new hardware this past gen. It doesn't mean the same will happen this time. The same rules still apply.
    i think that sentence needs to be corrected somewhere. does not make sense.

    Game development will be even more expensive
    not really, maybe the really high production games but generally the trend is towards indie and PS4 is super easy to develop for, especially bringing PC ports. development is much faster too this time around according to the developers. certainly not the case for X1 to the extent though.

    and we don't know for sure where hardware numbers will be in 5 years.
    lol, yeah X1 maybe. but i think even they will be fine. i think X1 will do better than 360.

    If things don't play out the way they want neither will launch another console till they feel it's the right time.
    Sony just had the biggest launch in the recent console history and PS4 is selling faster than PS1, PS2 and even the Wii...there's no reason to believe in FUD at the moment from the Sony side at least.

    We can take that 5 year stuff and throw it right out the window. Even though they are using 86 tech now, they still aren't pcs.
    what does it have to do with PCs? of course they're not PCs, they're better than PCs! (from a context)

    I think it all depends on where both will be at 5 years from now. I honestly think we are moving away from hardware. That where I hope it goes. It's my opinion on the whole thing. I could be wrong.

    im thinking nintendo may be the only that will......or may have to, unless someone else comes along. I say that because of what's going on around the industry. Layoffs, delays, shrinking studios, cancellations, etc. Too much money being lost right now. Publishers have to be willing to take a chance 5 to 6 years from now. Basically, it's like saying publishers will be developing ps5 and next gen xbox games 3 years from now. Development cost are still gonna be increasing.
    Infamous SS was in development for 2.5 years...so they started in the 5th or so year of the PS3. i think 5-6 years will be ideal, not 3 years from now or 3.5 years into the generation...i don't know where you're getting this assumption from.

    and the shrinkage is happening because there is a trend towards lean companies that don't have bloated budgets. indie is going to be big, evidenced by levine going that route and so much indie support this generation.

    it is your opinion and you are likely going to be wrong because it doesn't fit with what's going on right now and where the industry is moving towards.

  22. Likes AttackTitan likes this post
  23. #44
    Forum Sage
    Sub-stance1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    9,870
    Rep Power
    77
    Points
    60,062 (0 Banked)
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    What I'm saying is only my opinion. Of corse it's possible that we will see see new hardware but the way it looks right now i don't think it will happen. We won't be able to continue to have it both ways. We can't expect to have bigger and better games at the same old prices. Even though softwaree and services is where the money is ms an Sony are only gonna keep losing money on hardware for so long. Publishers are gonna be doing more of the sitting and waiting thing just like they did with, wii-u and vita. Even ubisoft said they won't consider VR until it hits at least a million. Of corse you are still gonna have your games like Cod and ea sports but evidence is showing that studious are cutting back and I don't see them taking huge chances on this gen and next gen just because ease if development. It doesn't really guarantee much. One under performing game could cripple a studio right now and adding a next gen more expensive version along with that makes things even worth. As we all can see, simpler hardware doesn't really mean games will be made faster. At least not in all cases. I remember a few years ago on these forums when I said next gen was gonna bring about more studio closures and downsizin but people doubted it. Now look at what's going on around the industry. The industry is still healthy but it's also shrinking.
    Last edited by Sub-stance1; 03-27-2014 at 02:38.

  24. #45
    Super Moderator
    Admartian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    New Zealand
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Age
    27
    Posts
    13,026
    Rep Power
    129
    Points
    40,486 (0 Banked)
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Yeah I don't necessarily see where your points are contentious. I personally think it'll be around 7-8 years (I remember people said that the PS360 was supposed to be 5-6 s well).

    Either way, I guess there really only is one way to find out.

    #IndieStation4 and proud of it.

  25. #46
    Supreme Veteran
    mynd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Down Under
    Age
    41
    Posts
    17,543
    Rep Power
    162
    Points
    160,937 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Admartian View Post
    Yeah I don't necessarily see where your points are contentious. I personally think it'll be around 7-8 years (I remember people said that the PS360 was supposed to be 5-6 s well).

    Either way, I guess there really only is one way to find out.
    Yes but we don't have a TARDIS or a delorean

    Oh you mean wait...how old fashioned.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  26. #47
    Super Moderator
    Admartian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    New Zealand
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Age
    27
    Posts
    13,026
    Rep Power
    129
    Points
    40,486 (0 Banked)
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    Yes but we don't have a TARDIS or a delorean

    Oh you mean wait...how old fashioned.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes 'wait'! THat's pretty much NZ's delorean.

    How's your router going btw - apparently we lost one over the weekend. We're now down to 3 total internets in the whole of NZ!

    #IndieStation4 and proud of it.

  27. #48
    Forum Overseer
    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    30,525
    Rep Power
    190
    Points
    107,774 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    What I'm saying is only my opinion.
    yes and there's such a thing as a reasonable opinion or an opinion with supportive evidence. your opinions so far do not agree with the trends. the production values may still rise even with a lower cost of development but still there's no reason to believe that it will be a trend on a broader scale...especially with indie, x86, low cost kits and self publishing for example.

    Of corse it's possible that we will see see new hardware but the way it looks right now i don't think it will happen.
    really? how does it look this way right now?

    We won't be able to continue to have it both ways. We can't expect to have bigger and better games at the same old prices.
    it's not about bigger or better, you can have a 3DS game that is bigger and better than a PS4 game. what you mean to say is that we can't continue to have big bloated budgets for video games...which is true and has been true for the past decade.

    but that trend is about to change because there's no possible way the developers can survive...when someone big like the Bioshock creator goes indie...that shows a changing time.

    Even though softwaree and services is where the money is ms an Sony are only gonna keep losing money on hardware for so long.
    that's why they try to reduce the costs by making the product smaller and more efficient...or just by economies of scale. however, if MS and/or Sony just can't lose money any more, that won't cause them to necessarily stop production on their future endeavors...because that's not how you win, you invest and win, you don't scale back and let the competition lead.

    it would be more likely for MS to drop out of the race than wait 10 years, both of which are highly unlikely overall however.

    Publishers are gonna be doing more of the sitting and waiting thing just like they did with, wii-u and vita.
    what makes you say that?
    Even ubisoft said they won't consider VR until it hits at least a million.
    what does that have to do with anything? and who says VR wouldn't hit a mil? not getting your point how that affects gaming as a whole that you speak of.
    Of corse you are still gonna have your games like Cod and ea sports but evidence is showing that studious are cutting back and I don't see them taking huge chances on this gen and next gen just because ease if development.
    high production games aren't going to be the norm anymore but that doesn't mean that we won't see risky games...actually, the cut backs would suggest more risk as it is more difficult to take a risk with a high production game than a low production game (including indie).
    It doesn't really guarantee much. One under performing game could cripple a studio right now and adding a next gen more expensive version along with that makes things even worth.
    adding a next-gen version as in...PS4/X1?
    As we all can see, simpler hardware doesn't really mean games will be made faster.
    yes it does. wtf lol.
    At least not in all cases.
    like?
    I remember a few years ago on these forums when I said next gen was gonna bring about more studio closures and downsizin but people doubted it. Now look at what's going on around the industry. The industry is still healthy but it's also shrinking.
    LOL big woop, i've been saying that these costs aren't sustainable for years myself, and guess what, developers are reacting and we're likely going to see highly skilled developers go under the umbrella of bigger publishers and more average developers or ones that make low-production games could go the way of self-publishing/indie. the idea is that there are more options this generation, last generation we did not.

    what you speak of, applies more to last-gen than this one. most of your points are fluff and no actual evidence/trend.

  28. #49
    Supreme Veteran
    mynd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Down Under
    Age
    41
    Posts
    17,543
    Rep Power
    162
    Points
    160,937 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Admartian View Post
    Yes 'wait'! THat's pretty much NZ's delorean.

    How's your router going btw - apparently we lost one over the weekend. We're now down to 3 total internets in the whole of NZ!
    You kid, but it actually happened today!!!

    http://www.telecom.co.nz/whatsnew/br...network-status

  29. #50
    Superior Member
    Old Man Gamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    840
    Rep Power
    22
    Points
    7,850 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    We are already at the end of the 1st qtr this year and some big games won't even hit until 2015 and beyond. It's not that neither can launch new consoles, they most likely won't. Just look at what happened with this launch. Game delays, unfinished software and all kinds of other stuff after the long gen we just got out of. So I don't see how they will be ready again in 5 years or less. No way. This isn't the 90s anymore where software wasn't a major part of the console ecosystem.
    Don't forget unfinished hardware.

    Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    I don't need no stinkin' signature!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
vBCredits II Deluxe v2.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2010-2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.