Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    Items Manchester United

Are games good for depression?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/25671185

These last two months, I have been off work with anxiety and depression..so, I gamed myself to death and it really helped me...the different story's, engagement, chattin to people whilst playin...its hard to explain...what are your thoughts?

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    berts08
    Items User name styleManchester United
Gift received at 11-19-2011 from Cuguy
Message: couldn't find a reason the shop would deny you the purchase, so here ya go
    I feel it does, it helps me.

“Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.” Arthur C. Clarke

PSN ID: berts08

Veteran
    Items Manchester United
    Quote Originally Posted by berts08 View Post
    I feel it does, it helps me.
    In what way berts?

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    Azrael666
    Items DoomPlayStationDiablo IIIBlizzardDemons Souls CoverDark Souls Cover
    Imo no.
    It just pushes your problems further and further to the next day and the next and the next...
    You will have to face the conseqences - one day.

Doesn't mean im better then that or anything, heck i do it too sometimes ("Ah hell i'll take care of it tomorrow") but like i said, if you truely think it helps you "to get out of it" you are probably just lying to yourself.

5. Likes Lebowski likes this post
    Veteran
    Items Manchester United
    I will say I was given medication, but the therapeutic side of gaming certainly 'freed my mind' of intense work pressures....like I say, its difficult to explain. I am a nurse so I understand the various aspects of depression and it's effects...

reaper of souls
    PSN ID
    Spikey456
    Items LuluFangLightningOlivia WildeLucy PinderMichelle MarshVita360 SlimPS3 Fat
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I had depression at a young age and I used to play mmorpgs quite a lot, I guess in a way it was a method of hiding away because I wasn't judged by my personal appearance, just how i looked on the game. I'd say it helped me escape from my daily problems but I don't know if it helped me get over it.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    I lived with depression for 20 years and have lived in a world of anxiety and worry for 10. It's cleared me the $#@! out and left a whole lot of damage and scars which I'm only now starting to deal with. Gaming was a huge escape for me and allowed me to forget the world and all the things that caused me to worry and feel these feelings of fear but I'm not sure if it's anything more than a means of escapism...which of course in itself is a help to depression but not really a source of resolution--at least not in my case.

Still, I believe there are no answers in the digital world. it was only when i started to write about DUST 514 for PSU that I started to have small successes. it snowballed and 10 months later I was eating a yummy meal with CCP execs in an Iceland restaurant. That whole experience revealed what had been hidden from me for 2 decades; I'm $#@!ing really smart and have a whole bunch of abilities to accomplish whatever I want. I don't think I would have ever have achieved that in a videogame.

When you're depressed you don't want to interact with your world so you become blind to your power to interact and really make a change in it. I was a ghost in life for the most part, I was here but I wasn't--I was in my own little isolated prison of darkness and pain. Start changing the world around you and you start to see that the prison you're in is self imposed and you'll see you have the ability to do things in the world. These things empower you and give you motivation to further explore your potential and as you do this the things that held you back lose their power.

But yeah, games can help, give you a haven but it's only when you start to interact with the real world that you start to see changes. You can't discover your inner power in a game.

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk
    Both, IMO. Has been more than not in my case, as far as I know. No way to know now is there.

A little escapism can be good for you, and anything that makes you happy, is generally healthy.

Not all forms of gaming is escapism, though. Online gaming for instance.

I'd love to listen people here's own story.

Wishlist: Jade Cocoon Reboot, Oni Reboot, the next JRPG, Wasteland 2 [coming soon!]
    SotC 2, Fallout 4, next Obsidian Fallout, Project Eternity, Uncharted 4, Divinity [NEW!]
    [South Park: Stick of Truth is pure gaming bliss!]

Veteran
    Items Manchester United
    I ain't sayin gaming is the healer, but for me, the pressure of my work environment, the gamin really helped ease my mind...as for the outside world...personally, I wiah people would talk more n show a bit of love...I have seen nothing but horribleness and violence (in work) and a lack of niceness out of it...makes me want to keep myself to myself. The world is a $#@!in horrible place nowadays...

Edit: ffs!! I just read back what typed and saw I put ' the gamin' haha...37 n showing my pensionary side...

@ghost I am glad you discovered yourself again...awesome.
    Last edited by jj03; 03-27-2014 at 21:03.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    And I'm not saying it's not! it just wasn't in my case. I can safely say that I probably wouldn't be here if it wasn't for the haven games gave me. I didn't mean to sound opinionated, I was talking more about my own case and anyone who goes through depression knows how individual and unique it is.

Forum Elder
    When I went through it. Nothing sounded fun or interesting. I didn't game or watch TV even.

It's good that some do though because it can be therapeutic.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    For some people it gives them something to do and something to get their mind off of their problems. For others, it may make it worse and get them in more of a bigger state of depression.

This is the same with stress. Gaming can take away stress and it can give stress.

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Like everything else, gaming in moderation can indeed help.

Games provide little goals which you can overcome relatively easily which helps you feel good about yourself - you're achieving something, even though small, you're working toward an end goal. This is good. However, relying on that is not good and only aids the problem you're facing. Like Bourbon said above, if you're doing the latter you're merely pushing back an already present problem that needs to be dealt with.

Personally never suffered from depression, though i can say i find games very entertaining and sometimes *cough* Skyrim *cough* you can get very into the game world and just have a blast.

You can also put in games that make you rage incoherently, play games that make you sad, games to make you jolly. It is that same thing with music.

Gaming is an entertainment medium, and much like life, it is what you make of it
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Veteran
    Items Manchester United
    I love the emotion of games...the rage on multiplayer , the games that grab you by the balls...escapism. It gives you what you invest in at its best. It's good to talk...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by Fijiandoce View Post
    Personally never suffered from depression
    I'm both glad and jealous. lol

Depression shaped me into the man I am today so I can't complain too much (other than about having wasted 20 years of my life to the void) cause I can be pretty badass.

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Sir_Scud
    Items Naughty DogFinal Fantasy IVDark SoulsGuerrilla Games
    I've suffered through depression, generally gaming is always a good escape. However, you generally are not facing your problems, which usually keep you depressed for longer. My epiphany of self worth came after I experienced some stuff in the real world and realized I was better than I thought I was. Gaming was more of a mask to hide the pain.

I'm by no means clinically depressed, but if I'm having a bad day and feeling down, then I find that the escapism of games helps to take stuff off my mind. I'm the sort of person who prefers to just ignore and forget about things that get me down anyway. Games mean I'm able to immerse myself in someone else's life, another world.. That's something that things like movies just can't do in the same way.

Whether that's actually healthy or not is up for debate, but it works for me.

Forum Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisw26308 View Post
    When I went through it. Nothing sounded fun or interesting. I didn't game or watch TV even.

It's good that some do though because it can be therapeutic.

Forgot to say, weight lifting is what eventually helped me out.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Some games probably help with depression. Others can make you feel worse. Especially if you keep failing in the game.

Dedicated Member
    I'd recommend games you can beat .

Success seems to be a great help for depression.
    Success is conquering a game, solving puzzles, and getting things done IMHO.

Right now, because i'm a lethal action platform gamer, Strider is making me a generally happy man.
    I just wish I could figure out WHAT i'm supposedly missing in certain areas . I'm 100% in only one zone and 90's in the rest and a friggin 75% in another.
    I did recently figure out some doors only open not just with the right plasma but using the throwing knives and not the sword so it activates a switch on the other side ( i don't read things to beat merost games)>
    So, hopefully I get there.

Otherwise, yeah, success for me is a good depression solution.
    I generally can blow through find words at 15min per page average as well if i'm really irked.
    Sleeping very soundly on a Saturday morning I was dreaming
    I was Al Capone
    There's a rumour going round, gotta clear outta town
    I'm smelling like a dry fish bone
    Here come the Law, gonna break down the door, gonna carry me
    away once more
    Never, never, never get it any more
    Gotta get away from this stone cold floor
    Crazy
    Stone cold crazy, you know

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    yes in my experience for sure.. But people deal with it in different ways and look at gaming for venting anger

it helps if you think venting the anger out in a fake world is a help, but some carry that over to the real world
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    I don't normally get depressed, till I look at the 300-ish PlayStation games I have spanned across every system. I sometimes want to simply play every single one because I am compelled to reclaim my moneys worth from them.

Secondly is playing a hard game over and over, can almost bring a guy to tears.
    Last edited by mickice; 04-29-2014 at 06:00.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Mostly, yes.

Good wind down too - no matter the game.

Just don't play a game like Dark Souls ,Football Manager or anything that is competitive or frustrating. Something like LBP, Rayman, Super Stardust or whatever that is just good for the sake that you're playing something; and that doesn't really punish you for anything.
    Be Together - Not the same.

Quote Originally Posted by jj03 View Post
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/25671185

These last two months, I have been off work with anxiety and depression..so, I gamed myself to death and it really helped me...the different story's, engagement, chattin to people whilst playin...its hard to explain...what are your thoughts?
    Contact with people is the best medication for this kind of diseases.

Racing Game Fanatic!!
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Items Title StyleVitaPS3 Slim
    I don't suffer from depression but find gaming a great way to relax and unwind after a really hard day, makes me forget about all the **** a bad day brings with it!
    PSN ID: Duffman19864

Twitter ID: Duffman1986

Twitch ID: http://www.twitch.tv/duffman041986/profile

My Youtube Gaming Channel - Now with commentary: Duffman Gaming

Thread Information