Page 1 of 7 1 ... LastLast
    PSU Live Streamer

Another person leaves a Sony game studio

source

Justin Richmond, who was working on Uncharted PS4 as game director, has left developer Naughty Dog.

"I have in fact made the decision to leave Naughty Dog," Richmond told IGN. "I love the company and the people and know that they will continue to create awesome games going forward. On a happier note, after careful consideration and exploration I have joined Riot Games. There is some really innovative stuff going on here that I can't wait to be a part of."
    Previously, Richmond oversaw Uncharted 2: Among Thieves' multiplayer and worked as game director on Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception. He had been with Naughty Dog since 2008.

This news comes shortly after creative director Amy Hennig's departure from Naughty Dog earlier this month. Sony specifically noted the duo's involvement when it revealed Uncharted PS4 in 2013.
    Sony Worldwide Studios' has been having a rough month, with numerous layoffs and other departures across the company in March, 2014.
    We've contacted Sony and Naughty Dog for comment.
    WTF is going on???

How many people have to leave Sony's 1st party studios before we should begin questioning what is going on...

Come find me on Twitch.tv!

Apprentice
    Items Scarlett JohanssonGuerrilla GamesDice
    This is getting ridiculous...

Chocolatier to the Stars
    PSN ID
    TidalPhoenix
    Items New User TitleUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Curiouser and curiouser

​aka Sparc

Entropy isn't what it used be

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Now I'm getting worried.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Elite Sage
    There seems to be something going on now.
    Man who chase after bus get exhausted, man who run in front of bus get tired
    Man who masturbates in class has firm grip of subject at hand
    Woman who sink in man's arms soon have arms in man's sink

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Doomed.

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    If I had to hazard a guess.....and this is pure speculation obviously based on nothing.....then I'd say there were across the board pay cuts put into place.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Some people want to work on new projects. Not constantly working on Uncharted or The Last of Us. That is the problem with working for a 2nd party development team. You work on what you are told to work on.

Racing Game Fanatic
    PSN ID
    gold106gti
    Items Title StyleVitaPS3 Slim
    Maybe he was offered more money to work at Riot games, who knows what goes on behind closed doors!
    PSN ID: gold106gti

Twitter ID: Duffman1986

My New Youtube Gaming Channel: Duffman Gaming

Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Ouch! Something bad seems to be going on over here. People seem to be dropping lie flies over there.

Forum Elder
    Yeah, it's over. It was a good run.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Two teams in studios doesn't work. Noses get bent, feet get stood on.

Either that or they are all DOOOOOOOOOOMED.

Forum Sage
    It looks like devs are just seeking independence. Creating $#@! for someone else to own gets old. Studios like respawn/insomniac are doing it the smart way IMO.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    It looks like devs are just seeking independence. Creating $#@! for someone else to own gets old. Studios like respawn/insomniac are doing it the smart way IMO.
    Doing it right? Insomniac hasn't made anything but $#@! games for like 6 years. Respawn just release a half a game for the their first go. Nothing is going on other thank Sony cutting the fat. Hennig didn't like the direction of UC4, ego got in the way and she quit, This guy was offered a $#@! ton of money to go to Riot. Stigs game sucked and was restarted 3 $#@!ing times, how many chances do you get to bring a game to the table? Cost upwards of 75 mil for $#@!. His team was shown the door, he was offered a spot on the other team, ego got in the way and he said $#@!it and left. Personally I think this shows leadership from Kaz and Shuhei. I think they should be praised for making these tough decisions to make the game studios better.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    So they are in an exclusive deal with MS for their next big titles. I.E. creating $#@! for MS, they are doing the right thing? Ok. Lol

But this does suck. Not sure what is going on there. Hopefully it's nothing major.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by PS4freak View Post
    So they are in an exclusive deal with MS for their next big titles. I.E. creating $#@! for MS, they are doing the right thing? Ok. Lol

But this does suck. Not sure what is going on there. Hopefully it's nothing major.
    You know what sucks about it? Its not that people are leaving Sony studios. Its that we can't say this same $#@! when people leave MS studios. Because they got no $#@!ing studios for people to leave from

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclops View Post
    Doing it right? Insomniac hasn't made anything but $#@! games for like 6 years. Respawn just release a half a game for the their first go. Nothing is going on other thank Sony cutting the fat. Hennig didn't like the direction of UC4, ego got in the way and she quit, This guy was offered a $#@! ton of money to go to Riot. Stigs game sucked and was restarted 3 $#@!ing times, how many chances do you get to bring a game to the table? Cost upwards of 75 mil for $#@!. His team was shown the door, he was offered a spot on the other team, ego got in the way and he said $#@!it and left. Personally I think this shows leadership from Kaz and Shuhei. I think they should be praised for making these tough decisions to make the game studios better.
    yea, keep thinking that.

exactly, they are free to do what they want. They can go and do a deal and not have to worry about whats next because its on them. If they own the IP they can do with it as they please just like publishers do.There is nothing bad about choosing who your publisher is.
    Last edited by Sub-stance1; 03-28-2014 at 03:16.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    snooper71
    Items Naughty Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclops View Post
    And as for Tretton, there was no way higher in sight.

People move all the time in the business... Moore, Harrison, Mattrick.. Name 'em! They all leave for reasons whether it's the employer or personal advancement. People just like to speculate on something that has been going on for years. And of course, the bigger speculators and "fans" of SONY's competition have shown their nose in here to cry doom!

I'm still here awaiting the impending doom since 2006!

Next Gen top picks:
    PS4: Infamous SS, DriveClub
    One: Project spark, Forza 5
    Multi: Watchdogs, The crew, FFXV, KHIII

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    yea, keep thinking that.

exactly, they are free to do what they want. They can go and do a deal and not have to worry about whats next because its on them. If they own the IP they can do with it as they please just like publishers do.There is nothing bad about choosing who your publisher is.
    If you think outside of that deal, yes. But they are locked into MS for their time being. It's not like MS is just going to say go nuts and make whatever you want. It doesn't work that way with investments. But whatever, I've already tracked this topic towards your MS love fest so ul just leave it alone. Continue on with the topic.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

20. Likes Christopher likes this post
    Apprentice
    Please tell us oh Fountain of Knowledge what you think is going on? I put on my hip waders to give me some protection from the bull$#@! you will start to spew shortly. If you think this is anything other than Sony tightening the ship, your delusional. Personally I think some peoples ego's got to big and needed to be knocked down a peg. If you think this will hamper Sony exclusives putting Xbox1 exclusives to shame for the next 5 or 6 years, yea, keep thinking that

yea, keep thinking that.

22. Likes AttackTitan, Shingo likes this post
    If you think outside of that deal, yes. But they are locked into MS for their time being. It's not like MS is just going to say go nuts and make whatever you want. It doesn't work that way with investments. But whatever, I've already tracked this topic towards your MS love fest so ul just leave it alone. Continue on with the topic.
    yeah....its sub. what else is new?

24. Likes Shingo , Two4DaMoney likes this post
    Forum Sage
    Yep, because they chose to. That's the good thing about being independent. You can choose your business partner and if it works out well, great, if not, you can take you business elsewhere . That's exactly what insomniac did with EA and what they'll do with MS.

Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style

If these independent seeking devs don't start their own studio then they're going to be creating games for someone else. You're always tripping over your own post. smh

Destiny and Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor is all I need for the rest of the year.

Apprentice
    Here is the thing though, I don't think, and you can correct me if I am wrong, Insomniac has made a game that sold over a million since resistance 2. If I were to want to discuss a third party developer that was in healthy shape and in charge of their own destiny it wouldn't be Insomniac. I think after Resistance 2 Sony kinda distanced themselves from Insomniac. I really don't think they had much choice but to align themselves with another publisher. EA was probably they only takers. I also think that MS took a flyer on whatever the name of that game is just to kinda stick it to Sony and say we got one of Sony's big gun studios to make games for us. Insomniac hasn't been a Sony big gun for quite a few years.

The thing about being independent is when when your games go to $#@!, and you don't have no one paying for them your company goes out of business. If Sony hadn't been paying Insomniac for the the resistance games and ratchet and clank, I don't think Insomniac is still in business

Forum Overseer
    independence is good and all but you can do much more staying with a much larger infrastructure where your games can take full advantage of the hardware. UC or TLOU wouldn't be half the games they are if they weren't in-house.

Thread Information