Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 6 ... LastLast
Results 126 to 150 of 152
  1. #126
    Supreme Veteran
    mynd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Down Under
    Age
    41
    Posts
    17,544
    Rep Power
    162
    Points
    160,958 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

    Another person leaves a Sony game studio

    Quote Originally Posted by sainraja View Post
    mynd, I kinda always assume you don't have; but best to ask, do you have any hands-on experience with any PS3 games?
    What the hell has that got to do with anything? And yes Ive played on a ps3. Whenever possible I try and play whatever is new on the demo kiosks. All though that is getting harder these days. Im having to settle for Octodad on the PS4.

    The only console I haven't played with is the XBO. i haven't even seen Ryse in the flesh. The demo machines are always playing one of those videos of what an amazing piece of kit this machine is.

    I realise this is going to go the way of "then how can you say were that bad". Just beware what you say applies to both generations of console and press criticism.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by mynd; 04-10-2014 at 08:25.

  2. #127
    Forum Sage
    sainraja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    8,173
    Rep Power
    98
    Points
    26,187 (0 Banked)
    You're close to where you thought I was going with it but not quite. I was going to say reading about something and actually experiencing how something is, is entirely different. A lot of the games that didn't match X360 weren't unplayable - as you like to say, even ones you've tried to call out (in the past); I've got most of them.

    Also, I wasn't saying that it doesn't matter in context of the discussion you and Sufi are having. I am just trying to get clarification from you regarding where you suggested the case with the PS3 was much worse. You say it was much worse but you haven't really played them to see for yourself.

    But mainly just wanted to hear you say how much experience you have with the PS3, instead of assuming.
    Last edited by sainraja; 04-10-2014 at 15:14.

  3. Likes Admartian , Two4DaMoney likes this post
  4. #128
    Forum Overseer
    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    30,526
    Rep Power
    190
    Points
    107,784 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    it's simply his perception and a couple other dude's for marking the games down.

    it has nothing to do with facts.

  5. #129
    Superior Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    583
    Rep Power
    8
    Points
    9,797 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    I cant help but look at these two sentences and LMAO Sufi.
    I'm sorry but 6 months into the PS3's life cycle it wasn't a slight edge it was a $#@!ing slaughter.
    You can say what you want about the PS3 eventually gaining some parity but you suffered sub HD resolutions, image blur, non-sqaure pixels, missing effects, unplayable frame-rates.
    So much so that PS3 verisons of games were marked down.

    Don't ever try and compare what the Xbox One is going through with what people had to put up with on the PS3.

    Jesus, downplaying indeed.
    In the beginning you said this.

    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    I never said the gap was far larger, I said there were more issues than just res (or at least thats what I am trying to say).
    Then you said this. When confronted, you said this.

    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    or you could read the sentence before and realize there was more issues going on as stated. Context..is everything.
    So I went back and found out what you were replying "Don't ever try and compare what the Xbox One is going through with what people had to put up with on the PS3." to. You know finding context...

    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post

    Now that PS4 has a fairly "large" edge:

    ^resolution downplaying.
    Turns out you actually WERE talking about PS3 having larger gaps or "edge".

    LoL. This is hilarious especially after you whine about "context" and actually the context is the one proves your contradiction.

  6. #130
    Forum Overseer
    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    30,526
    Rep Power
    190
    Points
    107,784 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    it was a passion-filled statement, i feel bad for mynd lol.

  7. #131
    Superior Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    583
    Rep Power
    8
    Points
    9,797 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    it was a passion-filled statement, i feel bad for mynd lol.
    haha. Well, I wish I can make that long post into my sig. I mean he kept dodging and changing what he said. Funny thing was he was trying to dodge again by claiming he was taken out of context, but context got him.

  8. #132
    Supreme Veteran
    mynd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Down Under
    Age
    41
    Posts
    17,544
    Rep Power
    162
    Points
    160,958 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by AttackTitan View Post
    In the beginning you said this.



    Then you said this. When confronted, you said this.



    So I went back and found out what you were replying "Don't ever try and compare what the Xbox One is going through with what people had to put up with on the PS3." to. You know finding context...



    Turns out you actually WERE talking about PS3 having larger gaps or "edge".

    LoL. This is hilarious especially after you whine about "context" and actually the context is the one proves your contradiction.
    The only thing "hilarious" is how completely out of step you are.
    You are so hell bent on "proof" or at least trying to prove..er something about someone lying or changing their tune, which in this case is not true.
    Lets get something straight, because Im not sure what the $#@! you think I said anymore, and I don think you do either.

    The amount of issues faced by various multiplatform games was "larger" "bigger" "more prolific" than the amount of issues faced now.
    Thats what I said, and I'll quite happily stick by that statement. Because its true.
    Now, is the gap in resolution larger, sure.
    Is the gap in effects larger. No
    Is the gap in image quality larger. No
    Is there sub resolution textures for example on the XBO? Not that I can see.

    So lets get this straight, and this isn't conjecture its fact:

    A lot of PS3 games were sub-standard compared to the Xbox 360 version of games.
    This manifested in many many more ways than simply a resolution difference.

    The number of issues manifested by PS3 games>the number of issues manifested by XBO games.

    Is that clear for you? Is that transparent enough for you? Do you want to arguing anything else, seeing as your hell bent in telling other people what they said?

    If you really want a list of "$#@! that went bad" in PS3 games:

    -Sub-hd
    -Fuzzy image
    -Non square rendering
    -Sub standard texture resolution
    -Sub standard bump mapping
    -Worse frame-rates
    -Missing effects
    Last edited by mynd; 04-12-2014 at 04:23.

  9. #133
    Forum Overseer
    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    30,526
    Rep Power
    190
    Points
    107,784 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    The only thing "hilarious" is how completely out of step you are.
    You are so hell bent on "proof" or at least trying to prove..er something about someone lying or changing their tune, which in this case is not true.
    Lets get something straight, because Im not sure what the $#@! you think I said anymore, and I don think you do either.

    The amount of issues faced by various multiplatform games was "larger" "bigger" "more prolific" than the amount of issues faced now.
    lol you mean maybe like in variety...but you still haven't shown one game that had more issues than the ones i've listed...or larger in scope.
    Thats what I said, and I'll quite happily stick by that statement. Because its true.
    Now, is the gap in resolution larger, sure.
    Is the gap in effects larger. No
    um yes.
    Is the gap in image quality larger. No
    you're wrong again.
    Is there sub resolution textures for example on the XBO? Not that I can see.
    it doesn't matter when you can't see half the details...also TR had worse textures.

    So lets get this straight, and this isn't conjecture its fact:
    no it's not.

    A lot of PS3 games were sub-standard compared to the Xbox 360 version of games.
    except there are more X1 games that look worse due to the lower resolution. you don't see it because you have never experienced higher resolution games.
    This manifested in many many more ways than simply a resolution difference.
    really, again, you're trying to minimize the issues X1 has because it's a lot more than just resolution. but no, what you say are #truthfacts.

    The number of issues manifested by PS3 games>the number of issues manifested by XBO games.
    you mean...in variety...overall, in various games combined...yes, because we're 5 months into the generation! guess what, the generation has moved on to 60fps and 1080p, so it's easier for X1 versions to just go lower on those and generally not run into other issues...so i don't get your point and whatever you're saying never refuted anything i ever stated. your argument has changed over time when you could not come up with a single example.

    Is that clear for you? Is that transparent enough for you? Do you want to arguing anything else, seeing as your hell bent in telling other people what they said?
    lol mynd, take a break, i'd just suggest to be careful about what you're saying next time because whatever you're saying is moot regardless. it doesn't mean anything. your point earlier was that the impact was bigger, which is bull$#@!. you said the difference wasn't as large, bull$#@!. then you were stuck on some review giving PS3 a lower score...ok lol that proves everything. because that one guy thought the difference meant a lower score.

    If you really want a list of "$#@! that went bad" in PS3 games:

    -Sub-hd
    -Fuzzy image
    -Non square rendering
    -Sub standard texture resolution
    -Sub standard bump mapping
    -Worse frame-rates
    -Missing effects
    lol TR already covers most of those issues and you're actually talking about issues that are spread across all games, not just one. which again, is moot. but again, i need to remind you that we're 5 months in, it would be silly to assume that these issues won't stay once the consoles are pushed to their limits. guess what, you can't find me a single game on PS3/360 that had the difference we saw in TR, 2-3 months in.

  10. #134
    Community Manager
    Fijiandoce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Pacific Isles of Doceness
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Posts
    4,470
    Rep Power
    89
    Points
    267,615 (888 Banked)
    Keep in mind. The Unreal Engine performed like ass on Sony's console.

    Many of the top games ran on the UE. so there is truth to what mynd says regarding the PS3 multiplat titles.

    In fact, look at any unreal game and you'll see the kind of things Mynd is referring to.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim


  11. #135
    Forum Overseer
    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    30,526
    Rep Power
    190
    Points
    107,784 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fijiandoce View Post
    Keep in mind. The Unreal Engine performed like ass on Sony's console.

    Many of the top games ran on the UE. so there is truth to what mynd says regarding the PS3 multiplat titles.

    In fact, look at any unreal game and you'll see the kind of things Mynd is referring to.
    i'm not disagreeing that PS3 suffered from various issues. but what they amount to in terms of resources is not much at all, and that's why it's really a moot point and has nothing to do with my original comment which started the whole debate.

    heck, not only that, those issues weren't even in all games, most games just had a couple of issues...ranging from a slight difference in resolution to maybe missing a few props or intensity of an effect...it was rare that it would be missing the entire effect...to my knowledge, 360 never got any significant feature (especially gameplay feature) that PS3 did not have.

    bull$#@! about the whole idea of "impact".

  12. #136
    Superior Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    583
    Rep Power
    8
    Points
    9,797 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    The only thing "hilarious" is how completely out of step you are.
    You are so hell bent on "proof" or at least trying to prove..er something about someone lying or changing their tune, which in this case is not true.
    Lets get something straight, because Im not sure what the $#@! you think I said anymore, and I don think you do either.

    The amount of issues faced by various multiplatform games was "larger" "bigger" "more prolific" than the amount of issues faced now.
    Thats what I said, and I'll quite happily stick by that statement. Because its true.
    Now, is the gap in resolution larger, sure.
    Is the gap in effects larger. No
    Is the gap in image quality larger. No
    Is there sub resolution textures for example on the XBO? Not that I can see.

    So lets get this straight, and this isn't conjecture its fact:

    A lot of PS3 games were sub-standard compared to the Xbox 360 version of games.
    This manifested in many many more ways than simply a resolution difference.

    The number of issues manifested by PS3 games>the number of issues manifested by XBO games.

    Is that clear for you? Is that transparent enough for you? Do you want to arguing anything else, seeing as your hell bent in telling other people what they said?

    If you really want a list of "$#@! that went bad" in PS3 games:

    -Sub-hd
    -Fuzzy image
    -Non square rendering
    -Sub standard texture resolution
    -Sub standard bump mapping
    -Worse frame-rates
    -Missing effects
    Dude. Are you so lost in how many times you changed your story?

    First you say gap in general are bigger on PS3. Not just in resolution, but in general.

    As soon as I proved you wrong with examples, you go back and retract that statement.

    Then as soon as you made a fool out of your self being caught with doing "lying or changing their tune" exactly that, now you stick by your original point.

    Here you go. your own quote.

    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    I never said the gap was far larger, I said there were more issues than just res (or at least thats what I am trying to say).
    Ahhh... This contradiction is so delicious.

    You would just switch flop here and there just to save your face.

  13. #137
    Supreme Veteran
    mynd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Down Under
    Age
    41
    Posts
    17,544
    Rep Power
    162
    Points
    160,958 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by AttackTitan View Post
    Dude. Are you so lost in how many times you changed your story?

    First you say gap in general are bigger on PS3. Not just in resolution, but in general.

    As soon as I proved you wrong with examples, you go back and retract that statement.

    Then as soon as you made a fool out of your self being caught with doing "lying or changing their tune" exactly that, now you stick by your original point.

    Here you go. your own quote.



    Ahhh... This contradiction is so delicious.

    You would just switch flop here and there just to save your face.

    Stop saying I said $#@! I never said.
    Go have this little argument in your head. Its were it belongs.

  14. #138
    Forum Overseer
    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    30,526
    Rep Power
    190
    Points
    107,784 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    sorry bro but that is exactly what you had implied in the beginning.

    your reply was to this post:
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    Now that PS4 has a fairly "large" edge:
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    I cant help but look at these two sentences and LMAO Sufi.
    I'm sorry but 6 months into the PS3's life cycle it wasn't a slight edge it was a $#@!ing slaughter.
    your statement clearly implying that the difference was larger on the PS3/360 ports. what else do you mean by disagreeing with a "slight edge" and calling it a "$#@!ing slaughter"?
    You can say what you want about the PS3 eventually gaining some parity but you suffered sub HD resolutions, image blur, non-sqaure pixels, missing effects, unplayable frame-rates.
    So much so that PS3 verisons of games were marked down.

    Don't ever try and compare what the Xbox One is going through with what people had to put up with on the PS3.

    Jesus, downplaying indeed.
    again implying that the difference was so large that the games were marked down...and you combined all the issues that ever happened into this theory that all games suffered from it. which turned out false because you didn't have a single example that displayed anywhere close to what examples i stated...(which btw supported my comments).

    let's just be straight bro, it was your perception, it's fine...it happens to the best of us, you were a little emotional and said some things without really looking deeper into it. let's let it go at this point because i'm not going to back down until you have completely proven me wrong, which you haven't.

  15. Likes Two4DaMoney likes this post
  16. #139
    Community Manager
    Fijiandoce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Pacific Isles of Doceness
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Posts
    4,470
    Rep Power
    89
    Points
    267,615 (888 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    i'm not disagreeing that PS3 suffered from various issues. but what they amount to in terms of resources is not much at all, and that's why it's really a moot point and has nothing to do with my original comment which started the whole debate.

    heck, not only that, those issues weren't even in all games, most games just had a couple of issues...ranging from a slight difference in resolution to maybe missing a few props or intensity of an effect...it was rare that it would be missing the entire effect...to my knowledge, 360 never got any significant feature (especially gameplay feature) that PS3 did not have.

    bull$#@! about the whole idea of "impact".
    Batman AA implemented SSAO on 360 while PS3 made do without.

    Some of the earlier games in the generation had Bump mapping entirely missing on PS3....the remake of the old 2D game comes to mind (the hack-n-slash where you ride animals and stuff)

    When i think of Unreal Engine running on PS3, a few things come to mind; Lower screen res, lower texture res, unstable performance, and missing effects (Batman AA had all these save the screen res iirc).

    I'd even go out on a limb and say every PS3 release of an UE game had lower textures and lower FPS to their 360 counterpart before taking into consideration the 'skill' of the dev team.

    The exclusives on the PS3 had no match imo. they worked around every bottleneck the ps3 had. But with the 360 being the default lead console during development, there were less incentive to exploit the PS3.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim


  17. #140
    Forum Overseer
    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    30,526
    Rep Power
    190
    Points
    107,784 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fijiandoce View Post
    Batman AA implemented SSAO on 360 while PS3 made do without.

    Some of the earlier games in the generation had Bump mapping entirely missing on PS3....the remake of the old 2D game comes to mind (the hack-n-slash where you ride animals and stuff)

    When i think of Unreal Engine running on PS3, a few things come to mind; Lower screen res, lower texture res, unstable performance, and missing effects (Batman AA had all these save the screen res iirc).

    I'd even go out on a limb and say every PS3 release of an UE game had lower textures and lower FPS to their 360 counterpart before taking into consideration the 'skill' of the dev team.

    The exclusives on the PS3 had no match imo. they worked around every bottleneck the ps3 had. But with the 360 being the default lead console during development, there were less incentive to exploit the PS3.
    i don't disagree with any of that. but like e.g. the games that had bump mapping entirely missing from the PS3 version...what else was missing or reduced? because that alone isn't large enough to justify the comment he made.

    that's just the problem. we'd have to know what exactly Batman AA was missing and how much in order to make a point.

    it seems like PS3 version had more screen tearing but not unstable i'd say...out of 3000+ frames, only 22 were torn. does not seem like a big deal.

    in addition, it seems the PS3 version still turned out to be better overall http://www.lensoftruth.com/head2head...arkham-asylum/

    so my point still stands, if someone can show a game that had differences that are as large as what we're seeing this generation...you know, half the resolution (or 50% less) or frame rate...and even then, there are entire features missing from the X1 version, it also has seen issues in texture resolution, AA and most importantly unstable frame rates.

    so while i still do think PS3 has overall more varied issues, they weren't in one game and if we want to compare that part (which again has nothing to do with what i was saying) then i still think it's unfair to compare a console that lived its entire life cycle to one that has only been out 5+ months...

  18. #141
    Supreme Veteran
    mynd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Down Under
    Age
    41
    Posts
    17,544
    Rep Power
    162
    Points
    160,958 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    sorry bro but that is exactly what you had implied in the beginning.

    your reply was to this post:
    [/B]your statement clearly implying that the difference was larger on the PS3/360 ports. what else do you mean by disagreeing with a "slight edge" and calling it a "$#@!ing slaughter"?
    Because I don't agree with you suggesting it was a "slight edge" , it was far more than a slight edge.
    Sorry Ive already pointed out the issues.
    A slight edge would be maybe one issues showing up.

    again implying that the difference was so large that the games were marked down...and you combined all the issues that ever happened into this theory that all games suffered from it. which turned out false because you didn't have a single example that displayed anywhere close to what examples i stated...(which btw supported my comments).
    I'm not implying games were marked down, they were marked down.
    let's just be straight bro, it was your perception, it's fine...it happens to the best of us, you were a little emotional and said some things without really looking deeper into it. let's let it go at this point because i'm not going to back down until you have completely proven me wrong, which you haven't.
    Oh I know you feel the myriad of issues the PS3 had were only "slight", while the one or two issues the XBO sufferer's are massive, I cant argue that the power it takes to create the gap in the res issue isn't significant, however I cant say that anyone has said it has an impact on the actual game to the point they marked it down.

    Indeed, if resolution was a reason alone to mark a game down many more PS3 games would have suffered, however reviews didn't feel it had a detrimental effect on games.

    Suffice to say, may original point was that the PS3 suffered more than its fair share of development hell when it first started out, and it showed up in many many different ways. Far more than a simple (and setting the screen res is $#@!ing simple), adjustment to your framebuffer size.
    Last edited by mynd; 04-13-2014 at 05:02.

  19. #142
    Superior Member
    TrUe GaMeR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    601
    Rep Power
    67
    Points
    2,877 (0 Banked)
    I don't know how to quote so copy and paste it is, last two paragraphs from gamespot.

    Splinter Cell Double Agent Review. PS3.

    http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/tom-.../1900-6168982/

    ----------------
    Earlier Splinter Cell games in the series tended to look better on the Xbox than the PlayStation 2 since the series was built around the more powerful hardware of the former. Because current-generation consoles are comparable in power, it's not surprising that the PS3 version of Double Agent looks almost as good as the Xbox 360 version, though there are some issues. For instance, the PS3 version lacks some of the complex lighting and shadowing effects that were put to great use in the Xbox 360 version, immersing you in the gloom. Meanwhile, night vision lacks the warm, glowing amplification of lights seen in the Xbox 360 version, and the PS3 version doesn't have some of the 360 version's particle effects, such as smoke plumes. Both versions also suffer from long loading times, as well as a struggling frame rate at times (which struggles a bit harder on the PS3). The good news is that both versions still feature the unmistakable voice of Michael Ironside as Fisher and the voice of Dennis Haysbert as Fisher's NSA boss, Irving Lambert. As you've come to expect from the series, the voice acting is solid, as is the music, which amplifies when things get hairy and retreats once the coast is clear.

    Though it's not quite as sharp as the Xbox 360 version, the PS3 version of Double Agent is still a great game. Ubisoft has managed to craft a well-rounded package that features the series' signature stealth action gameplay, along with a rich and enjoyable multiplayer suite and some impressive visuals. And while Sam likes to grumble a lot in the game about how he's getting too old for all of this, Double Agent proves that there's plenty of life left in the franchise.
    -------------------

    That game ran of Unreal. It was a lot worse back then compared to now, $#@! it's not even a comparison but I digress. It wasn't the end of the world for the PS3.

    Double Agent released on October 2006 for 360 and August 07 for PS3.

  20. #143
    Forum Overseer
    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    30,526
    Rep Power
    190
    Points
    107,784 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    Because I don't agree with you suggesting it was a "slight edge" , it was far more than a slight edge.
    Sorry Ive already pointed out the issues.
    A slight edge would be maybe one issues showing up.
    you were implying that the difference was larger last generation. i quoted your statements...go ahead and deny it...you were ready to keep that claim going until you could not come up with an example.

    but going with what you're saying not even, you have yet to show a game that had more than one or two issues, that aren't minor...again, you have the chance to show examples where these differences are more than slight...i'd like some supportive evidence to your claims...even if you are changing your statement now...since again, anyone with half a brain can tell what you were implying there considering the part of the post you had quoted and your actual words.
    I'm not implying games were marked down, they were marked down.
    yea i know that. what i was saying that it was another implication that you felt that the difference was larger...which later you described as having larger impact...another superfluous claim without support.

    Oh I know you feel the myriad of issues the PS3 had were only "slight", while the one or two issues the XBO sufferer's are massive
    lol overall? yes, PS3 has more issues "overall" which i've already addressed multiple times. you are going in circles at this point. let me reiterate for the last time, i'm not going to continue down this road because you can't swallow your pride and move on.

    1) your point about PS3 having more "overall" issues...spanning across multiple games and an entire life cycle...is true but why it's moot is because i was speaking about the amount of gap there was (large difference than last generation)...i didn't specifically say that the issues were more or less...you brought that in yourself...and since none of those issues in any particular game come remotely close the gap that we're seeing now, it is a moot point.

    2) as i hinted in the first point here, you are comparing the amount of "variations" in issues that two generations have seen and you're looking at one generation as a whole (7-8 years) and another that is 5 months in...how can you say with certain that X1 won't see more issues? secondly, X1 has pretty much seen issues that closely match the previous generation's, just not enough in the number of games yet, which again is unfair to call out at such an early stage. what's funny is that none of your examples still bring up any game that have nearly the same amount of issues that we saw in TR...so not only there is a more substantial gap in performance, there are more issues with that port than any single one of your examples.

    I cant argue that the power it takes to create the gap in the res issue isn't significant, however I cant say that anyone has said it has an impact on the actual game to the point they marked it down.
    lol wow. ok. that sounds so...i don't know how to respond to that. i'm gonna let that sit with you for a while and think why that is silly.

    Indeed, if resolution was a reason alone to mark a game down many more PS3 games would have suffered, however reviews didn't feel it had a detrimental effect on games.
    lol ok. so it proves that 1080p has no impact on visual quality against 720p. gotcha. why are we even arguing at this point? you've already shown the way you process your thoughts. we're obviously on a completely different plane.
    Suffice to say, may original point was that the PS3 suffered more than its fair share of development hell when it first started out, and it showed up in many many different ways. Far more than a simple (and setting the screen res is $#@!ing simple), adjustment to your framebuffer size.
    yeah, your point is good up until you imply that X1 only suffered from resolution issues...again, no point in continuing at this point. we haven't gone anywhere since the first post in this discussion.

  21. #144
    Supreme Veteran
    mynd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Down Under
    Age
    41
    Posts
    17,544
    Rep Power
    162
    Points
    160,958 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Sufi, of the 15 multiplats out how many suffer

    A/ half framerate
    b/ less than half the res

    And for christ sake stop banging on about TR and its dam cutscenes issues.
    That's has nothing to do with the actual game. The only issues it has is the odd alpha effect.

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by mynd; 04-13-2014 at 07:27.

  22. #145
    PSU Live Streamer
    YoungMullah88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Charlotte
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Posts
    14,275
    Rep Power
    112
    Points
    31,896 (1,800 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Final fantasy

    Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

  23. #146
    Community Manager
    Fijiandoce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Pacific Isles of Doceness
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Posts
    4,470
    Rep Power
    89
    Points
    267,615 (888 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    i don't disagree with any of that. but like e.g. the games that had bump mapping entirely missing from the PS3 version...what else was missing or reduced? because that alone isn't large enough to justify the comment he made.
    I remembered the game, Golden Axe: Beast Rider
    The games look identical in screenshots, albeit with some superior texture work on Xbox 360. Both releases are 720p, but you'd be hard-pressed not to think it's running at a lower resolution on account of a horrible blur filter that has been applied liberally to 360 and PS3 alike. However, the real dividing factor is the frame rate. On Xbox 360, the developer has a stab at taking on a 720p 60fps update. By and large, it is successful, albeit at the cost of some ugly screen-tear. PS3 on the other hand tears even more badly, and has a massively variable refresh-rate to boot.

    Eurogamer
    You're going to have to hit up their gallery for the pics with no bump mapping

    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    that's just the problem. we'd have to know what exactly Batman AA was missing and how much in order to make a point.

    it seems like PS3 version had more screen tearing but not unstable i'd say...out of 3000+ frames, only 22 were torn. does not seem like a big deal.

    in addition, it seems the PS3 version still turned out to be better overall http://www.lensoftruth.com/head2head...arkham-asylum/
    It's not just Batman. All UE games show evidence of it.

    Mass effect 1, 2 & 3 have worse FPS + lower res textures + lesser/no shadows

    The Unreal games could do WAY more on 360 simply because MS dished out ~$1 billion to facilitate it. So there is evidence of Sony's wayward ports around if you have the time to look.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    so my point still stands, if someone can show a game that had differences that are as large as what we're seeing this generation...you know, half the resolution (or 50% less) or frame rate...and even then, there are entire features missing from the X1 version, it also has seen issues in texture resolution, AA and most importantly unstable frame rates.

    so while i still do think PS3 has overall more varied issues, they weren't in one game and if we want to compare that part (which again has nothing to do with what i was saying) then i still think it's unfair to compare a console that lived its entire life cycle to one that has only been out 5+ months...
    Operation Dragon Rising.

    -Lower res
    -Screen tearing
    -Lower Textures
    -No AA
    -Missing assets
    -Lower LOD detail (Grass etc.)

    All the things listed are shown in earnest i believe

    [Note: I have platted OP:DR because i quite liked it irrespective of it's flaws]

    There is also the first Lost Planet i believe...Need to check that one, it's just off the top of my head


    Funnily. Tomb Raider Underworld had a 50% screen res difference. 360 ran sub hd with 50% less pixels on screen. - Just a random fact i found on the Eurogamer website
    However, TR [360] used old code.

    PS3 had it's stinkers as devs got to grips with the hardware. There's no doubt however, that the CellBE was a massive boon toward the end. Although it still had varied performance, there are games, like metro, that used the Cell for more GPU related tasks. Which made the PS3 versions look equal to or superior to their 360 counterparts.

    As i say, Mynd isn't totally wrong. PS3 had some terrible ports. Thank god we are now beyond that era however >_<
    Last edited by Fijiandoce; 04-13-2014 at 09:19.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim


  24. Likes Captncoke49 likes this post
  25. #147
    Veteran
    Bligmerk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,409
    Rep Power
    97
    Points
    21,656 (0 Banked)
    The subject line of this topic is:

    Another person leaves a Sony game studio

    Somehow, it has become a Mynd tirade about how the PS3 was crap and the proof was how poorly Unreal Engine ran on it. This derailing by Mynd has been allowed for almost 8 years here. Why not just have a sticky titled "Why Mynd thinks Sony and the Playstation are crap"?

    What is the connection between the PS3 not running Unreal Engine 3 very well and some of the higher level devs leaving to form their own studio or going to work on other projects?

    This is what gets so boring about this site. A small handful of "community members" are allowed to derail and put down Sony with almost every post. How is this derailing even remotely related to the PS4, except Mynd implying the PS4 isn't that great because the PS3 never lived up to expectations (even this assertion is false, considering TLOU).

    Meanwhile, there is majority silence about the PS4 now being the fastest selling console in history, and while the Negative Nancy "game journalists" are trumpeting the decline in videogame consoles. There are some seriously disturbed people out there.
    Pacing in wait of Sony's imminent DOOM!...since 2006
    PS4 - The Only Hardcore Gaming Console = All Your Baserape Are Belong To Us

  26. #148
    Master Poster
    RedOrb_Collector's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Age
    26
    Posts
    3,011
    Rep Power
    105
    Points
    14,321 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Mynd has been putting his foot in his mouth for years on this forum, and as usual when pressed on a matter he retreats into a non-committal shell where he ducks and dodges and claims misinterpretation and victimization.

    This thread is just another example. Now for some reason Tomb Raider doesn't count as example, something to do with being a last gen port, when that is something that should mitigate the differences between the two if the demands weren't that high. Rather the differences were absolutely huge. Far greater than any between PS3/360 multiplats.

    A near double frame rate advantage, significantly higher resolution and better textures too.

    Also, like Blig says, let us now get back on topic.

  27. #149
    Supreme Veteran
    mynd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Down Under
    Age
    41
    Posts
    17,544
    Rep Power
    162
    Points
    160,958 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Firstly, I didn't start this particular topic, look elsewhere.
    As for putting my "foot in my mouth", I haven't changed my tune regarding anything I said here.
    Thirdly, denile isn't a river in Egypt. Its amazing how many people look at the past through rose tinted glass's.
    I have no idea how this subject came up, but its fricken funny to watch people downplay issues the PS3 had with multiplats, whilst talking up the power difference between this new gen, and we are only 6 months in.
    The fact is one of these systems has a weaker GPU, it will never match pixel for pixel output of the other system. But you see it doesn't claim to be the most powerful system of them either, we all know what is and is not in these systems. Which is also amazing to see people who should know better take this double framerate game for what it is.
    Last edited by mynd; 04-13-2014 at 20:26.

  28. #150
    Ultimate Veteran
    Metal King Slime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Age
    23
    Posts
    22,283
    Rep Power
    191
    Points
    6,342 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    This thread starting getting off-topic when Sufi called out rene2kx for not owning or having no interest in owning a PS4. Since then, it's been poorly moderated with AttackTitan also confronting mynd. Sufi even suggested continuing the discussion in a different thread but that was five days ago. Great job, guys.
    Last edited by Metal King Slime; 04-13-2014 at 21:16.
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
vBCredits II Deluxe v2.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2010-2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.