Latest PSU headlines:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
    Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Again I kindly ask that people go directly to Steven with these matters as I suggested earlier. You can e-mail him at steven.williamson@psu.com, just make sure you reference him to this page so he can get the context of the contact please. I've explained my overarching strategy and have apologised that real life circumstances, responsibilities and health concerns have not helped matters during my time as CM.

There's no need for drama, no need for acid spitting, take your concerns to Steven. If he's not satisfied with where I'm at and what I've said here he can act as he sees fit.

Edit: btw, CM hasn't been a paid job since end of 2013.
    Last edited by Ghost; 04-04-2014 at 17:18.

2. Likes -Shafty- likes this post
    Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    There is a lot that happens behind the scenes that no one knows about. Ghost and I along with Steven and others have spent numerous weekends on Skype laying out the designs for a new PSU. That started around January. Just over three months ago. In that amount of time, we have put together a prototype for a new site and put in place a new architecture to build on that is more secure. This has been done in our spare time and cost PSU nothing. Personally, I am excited about the changes that are coming. I think this about to be the start of a new age for PSU.

On the forum side, we have made progress in cleaning up a lot of stuff that has been plaguing the site for some time. PSU's membership count was almost 300,000 with fewer than 2,000 being active. We have cut over a 100k of dead accounts (no activity in years and zero posts) that were simply weighing down the system. No, this is not simply a matter of clicking a couple of buttons. It is a time and resource intensive process. Only 1k of the ancient accounts can be cut at a time and each iteration takes several minutes and a ton of server processing. But the results are showing whether you have noticed or not. The only slowdowns I have noticed on the forums is when these processes are running whereas before forum performance was a constant issue.

We have also worked on streamlining the moderation process and spent a significant amount of time discussing the best way this should be implemented and testing the new process.

So the changes are happening, but this kind of thing doesn't get done without a lot of work and a lot of personal time invested. So yeah....growing pains are in full effect.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

4. Likes -Shafty- likes this post
    YouTube Editor
    Items Tommy VercettiUser name styleModern Warfare 3
    Please lay out for me the detailed plans that will bring new members, keep current ones, and promote the community. Deleting thousands of accounts to get better performance is one thing, but I still don't see a real initiative to grow the community. THIS is my point, and that alone. Without a solid community you don't have a forum/site, plain and simple. I have yet to see anything being done to address the prime issue.

8 years and counting!

Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Forum performance is a key issue for growth, imo. How many potential new members have come here and gone elsewhere because of forum errors, slow response times, etc.? I know if I was looking for a forum home and encountered the kind of stuff that current members have complained about constantly, I'd go somewhere else.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.

YouTube Editor
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    Forum performance is a key issue for growth, imo. How many potential new members have come here and gone elsewhere because of forum errors, slow response times, etc.? I know if I was looking for a forum home and encountered the kind of stuff that current members have complained about constantly, I'd go somewhere else.
    I agree, but it takes much more than that for expansion. Frankly these are issues that should have never happened, and when they did should have been fixed right away and not let linger for ages resulting in a tarnished reputation. I always think long term, and looking ahead I don't see anything solid for "growth" coming from you guys. There are so many options and ideas that were presented, and not one was implemented. Members are leaving, nothing is being done to change this trend, nor is anything being done to promote the community in order for it to grow. So a new site layout is in the works, great but how does that keep existing members? Will a visual appeal to the main page dictate whether or not they stay a part of this community? If that is the prime initiative for growing the community and keeping existing members in tact then we are in a sorry state, UNLESS with that upgrade in visual appeal we see a huge initiative being implemented.

8 years and counting!

What kind of initiative do you suggest?

YouTube Editor
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    What kind of initiative do you suggest?
    It doesn't take a lot of thought to come up with ideas on how to promote the community to the outside world, whats shocking is the lack of enthusiasm and initiative to do it by those who should. I have shared a lot of ideas in the past, and they fell on deaf ears. Frankly I shouldn't need to list out ideas on how to build PSU up from the $#@! hole that it now resides in.

8 years and counting!

Dedicated Member
    Items User name style
    What ever you are doing it's working ghost, It's even lured me back after i said i was "done".

A small suggestion regarding the front page, content side. Please make it mobile browser friendly, It's really fiddly on my xperia z, the text doesn't wrap so i have to scroll side to side, laboriously. I hate to reference gaf, but their mobile optimisation is fantastic. Also the ads sometime make it impossible to browse and scroll because they fill up the screen without a "cross" to minimize, i have to pres back and forward then stop the page fully loading the ad.

The best thing about mobile is the lack of ad block, therefore i believe it would be worth the effort optimising. Would love to browse threads and articles quickly!
    You can't be serious with the 30 megabyte signature... ~ Staff

Maths is biased! It keeps telling me the PS4 is 50% more powerful than XboxOne!
    Great song, should have more views :'(

SHIMAASAAAANIIII!!!!!
    http://i.imgur.com/bP50xuM.png

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Quote Originally Posted by victorijapoosp View Post
    What ever you are doing it's working ghost, It's even lured me back after i said i was "done".

A small suggestion regarding the front page, content side. Please make it mobile browser friendly, It's really fiddly on my xperia z, the text doesn't wrap so i have to scroll side to side, laboriously. I hate to reference gaf, but their mobile optimisation is fantastic. Also the ads sometime make it impossible to browse and scroll because they fill up the screen without a "cross" to minimize, i have to pres back and forward then stop the page fully loading the ad.

The best thing about mobile is the lack of ad block, therefore i believe it would be worth the effort optimising. Would love to browse threads and articles quickly!
    I can say that this is being worked on currently.

Should also have one for the forums too hopefully
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Veteran
    Items Manchester United
    Quote Originally Posted by victorijapoosp View Post

Tried using tapatalk? What I use...fro t end on pc is still slow for me, when I logged on yesterday...mostly use tapatalk anyways. Keeps browsing simple rather than get bogged down on the front page.

Administrator
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    It doesn't take a lot of thought to come up with ideas on how to promote the community to the outside world, whats shocking is the lack of enthusiasm and initiative to do it by those who should. I have shared a lot of ideas in the past, and they fell on deaf ears. Frankly I shouldn't need to list out ideas on how to build PSU up from the $#@! hole that it now resides in.
    Your continued ranting doesn't help you, the staff, or the community. Although I do agree there are a lot of changes to be made, not making suggestions out of spite is neither productive, nor helpful. I've been here longer than most and I have also seen the ups and downs, but everyone's lives are extremely busy at the moment ... and everyone is doing what they can with the time they have and without pay. I assure you when I get my new business off the ground I will be tossing dough in PSU's general direction. It is simply not a luxury I have at the moment.

Seriously though, complaining for the sake of complaining really does not serve anyone. I've told you before that my ears are always open. So feel free to shoot me a PM whenever you feel like it. I'm insanely busy right now and am guilty of not participating as much as I could, but we're all real human beings with real lives and real problems. There was a time when I was much younger when I first started moderating the forums a decade ago when I could dedicate ample amounts of time to the site, but I'm approaching 30 now and things have certainly changed ... forums [in general] have changed ... technology has changed ... many things have changed. We're all trying to figure out what the best solutions are and suggestions from veteran members certainly don't fall on deaf ears. But please, if you have suggestions, shoot me a PM and I can discuss them with Alex myself.

All this venom spitting isn't going to help the community grow or evolve. There are some great things in store for the site in the not-too-distant future ... but if you've lost all patience then I'm sorry. Maybe you can come back after the wheels have turned and the train is moving at full speed. There were a trillion underlying issues with the forums that had to be addressed ... things not visible at the surface. Kinks are being worked out and plans are being set in motion.

Heck, even Lethal is back on board, which I am extremely grateful for and I'm glad he is with us. Despite all our differences and the crazy things that have happened over the last year, we're able to swallow our pride and work together for a common goal. PSU is our home and we're not going to just watch it die because things don't seem altogether right now. Just give it time.

I think a lot of this pent up aggression is because people are dreaming of living in the past. The way things were. Things aren't the way they were and they never will be again. We have to learn to embrace the now and the changes that are coming. Media consumption has changed so much that it's a completely different beast. "Change or die" is a phrase that comes to mind ... and we're figuring out just how to do that.
    Last edited by Brandon; 04-07-2014 at 20:43.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

14. Likes Ghost , Lethal , 33x , Christopher likes this post
    Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Quote Originally Posted by PBM
    Things have certainly changed ... forums [in general] have changed ... technology has changed ...
    War has changed.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    War has changed.
    “I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.” ― Albert Einstein
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

Dat Guy
    Items Protect yourselfNew User TitleTitle Style
    I know ghost and chris have pretty much covered this, but there is alot going on in the back scenes, and everyone is working hard on improving the site as much as we possible can this includes getting more people onto the site, and getting them involved with the community.

Thank you itachi

18. Likes Ghost likes this post
    Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation
    I am sorry and apologize. I believe I jumped on Ghost and his administration too soon.

Ghost, here's what you can do to prevent this and show that PSU IS making progress.

Every month, post a thread with a list of the things that you and your team have accomplished. It doesn't matter if it's only two things, just show the community that things are in progress and keep us in the light.

Peace.

Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

20. Likes Ghost likes this post
    overstepping the mark
    PSN ID
    SHAFT_N_BALLS
    Items User name style
    The most important thing is to get the site running smoothly. Which i believe is happening in the background.

Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Ok... I was wrong. Happy?

22. Likes Ghost , Lethal likes this post
    Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Thanks all for your support. Thanks PBM for the post above.

Please know that everyone involved is working with a common goal of bringing this home of ours back to a state that does it justice but also understand that we are all working without pay (myself included) and we have lives and responsibilities outside of the net which have to take priority. My life over the past 6 months has been a really challenging time for many reasons. Others have been busy, others have suffered loss, but we all have that common goal and are moving towards it.

Black, it's cool. I do understand people's frustration. We can look at making on going announcements that detail changes but you know...when we integrated the Twitch streaming into the site which in itself was a HUGE addition to the functionality of the site, I made some really nice threads with screenshots showcasing the features and I think after a week maybe half a dozen people had bothered to look at it. However, we can try again, keeping you guys better informed about these 'behind the scenes' type things that go on.

I urge anyone who is interested in helping us to refine the front page to shoot me a PM and I will add you to the focus group usergroup which will grant you access to our dev section where you can help test the new front page. It really is looking fantastic and what Chris is doing is building us a new, stable, dynamic foundation to build upon. As the coder he knows where everything is and will be more easily able to make advancements, changes, add ons etc in the future.

When the time comes to evolve the forum software we will make an informed choice and find a software suite that meets our needs and size. I will make sure we get a forum that can handle interesting and cool plug-ins and we can start building something really special.

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    djpenny1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Thanks all for your support. Thanks PBM for the post above.

Please know that everyone involved is working with a common goal of bringing this home of ours back to a state that does it justice but also understand that we are all working without pay (myself included) and we have lives and responsibilities outside of the net which have to take priority. My life over the past 6 months has been a really challenging time for many reasons. Others have been busy, others have suffered loss, but we all have that common goal and are moving towards it.

Black, it's cool. I do understand people's frustration. We can look at making on going announcements that detail changes but you know...when we integrated the Twitch streaming into the site which in itself was a HUGE addition to the functionality of the site, I made some really nice threads with screenshots showcasing the features and I think after a week maybe half a dozen people had bothered to look at it. However, we can try again, keeping you guys better informed about these 'behind the scenes' type things that go on.

I urge anyone who is interested in helping us to refine the front page to shoot me a PM and I will add you to the focus group usergroup which will grant you access to our dev section where you can help test the new front page. It really is looking fantastic and what Chris is doing is building us a new, stable, dynamic foundation to build upon. As the coder he knows where everything is and will be more easily able to make advancements, changes, add ons etc in the future.

When the time comes to evolve the forum software we will make an informed choice and find a software suite that meets our needs and size. I will make sure we get a forum that can handle interesting and cool plug-ins and we can start building something really special.
    stop lying when the GM said he paying the new CM

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by -Dj- View Post
    He did, for the first few months. As of January 2014 this has been a labor of love bebe!

Oh Dj...I've missed you...can we spoon please?

Administrator
    Your insightful and helpful comments are always appreciated.

27. Likes Ghost likes this post
    General Manager
    PSN ID
    jonnyvito
    Items 3d dot game heroes3d dot game heroesUser name styleMove360 SlimVitaLightningNaughty DogPlayStation
    Yeah, we had to pull funding as we have done with other staff. Simply because PSU isn't making money, it's losing money. Though we're doing everything we can to change that around.
    DUST 514 name: swillw /Corporation PSU Ghost Syndicate

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk
    Just subscribed to the forum and I'd gladly give some blood too if that would help

Wishlist: Jade Cocoon Reboot, Oni Reboot, the next JRPG, Wasteland 2 [coming soon!]
    SotC 2, Fallout 4, next Obsidian Fallout, Project Eternity, Uncharted 4, Divinity [NEW!]
    [South Park: Stick of Truth is pure gaming bliss!]

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Ghost, you need not post an Apology

we know your dream of improving the site will happen and i for one can not wait to see your ideas unfold and in action
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    It is true. I have only just joined the group to help develop the site and I am also doing this out of a labour of love. I've been here for so long now that I feel that I want to put something back into this place and helping to build the site is quite an ever lasting contribution. From those that I have talked to and interact with I have come away so far with a really high impression and great showing of their efforts. They have taken me on board to help lighten the load in an area but with the open discussions we have had so far everything is coming together really really nicely!

While I do have 2 other jobs, the rest of my spare time is being put into helping PSU get back up top and into a greater light than how it might perceive to be. It's similar with everyone else I would imagine working on the site (I can't speak for anyone of course) but I hope that their efforts don't go in vain for the copious hours and effort they have put into the site as a whole.

You will all just have to wait and see how it will all change but from what I have seen so far it's going to be a much much much better PSU.

32. Likes Ghost , Christopher likes this post
    Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    It's crazy how much the activity has dropped over the last year. From what I remember, our peak active member count went back up to around 80-90 members in 2012 and 2013. And now it's been around 30-40.

First of all, I don't think it's due to any of the following:

• Social media: NeoGAF is still huge, so that rips a hole in that theory.
    • PlayStation losing popularity: PS4 is the most popular console right now and the PS3 was also very successful

I can think of a few reasons that would make sense:

• GAF is eating up more and more of the people interested in gaming forums.
    • This forum needs to be re-designed and simplified. The inconsistent forum icons look bad, the layout is messy, the shoutbox confuses things, the game-specific sub-forums are oddly chosen, the achievement system was never finished, etc. If I was someone who visited this forum for the first time, I'd think this place was unprofessional and confusing. The staff needs to sit back, take a look at everything, and come up with a clear overall vision for the forum. Even if you can't give the forum a complete redesign, the staff should at least look at all the DragonByte add-ons, the layout, the icons, etc. Stuff the admins can handle themselves.
    • The constant, predictable bickering between the same group of members might be turning people away. Plenty of other members have brought this up as well, so I'm not alone here. It seems like every controversial thread devolves into the same few members bickering with each other about their motives.
    • Annoying ads. In a way, the staff doesn't think holistically. I know the forum is losing money and you want to have cash flow from wherever you can get it, but it adds up. Not only are the ads themselves too large and annoying (some of them take up the whole screen), but there are often deals in place to create forums for games that don't warrant them. For example, if I was a new member, I'd be confused as to why one of the two game-specific forums is for DUST 514. I'd think this place was outdated and messy. The same thing happened with FUSE (the Insomniac game). Yes, those deals may provide short-term cash flow, but it hurts the overall health of the forum.

I know the staff is working on a new main site, but hopefully the forum is freshened up as well. And I know the staff works for free in their spare time, but I generally still like the community here, so I'm rooting for this place.

34. Likes Shingo likes this post

Thread Information