Page 1 of 4 1 ... LastLast
    Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Awards PSU+ Patriot

Apology and status

Hello there community,

I want to apologise for the delayed action on a few things I've planned. I don't mean to drag my heals on things and it is by no means a reflection of a dulled desire to restore PSU to a healthier state. A $#@!tail of factors play a part and I'm not going to bore y'all with the details; suffice it to say real life has been a time of transition for me and it's made me a bit scattered.

Regarding the site in general: When I pitched to be CM I had ideas of how I thought PSU could be improved without the use money, which as we all know is a little short atm. They were community based initiatives that looked at making the forums more of a social HUB of things to do. When I became CM however, a new and unexpected opportunity arose in Chris who offered to help rebuild this rickety old site. As the early prototype pics were posted in the tech section I started to realise that a renewed and reinvigorated PSU was a real possibility and could be a springboard for us to really push out PSU brand awareness which in turn would help the forums. PSU needs to be a beacon of PlayStation culture again, like a flame that draws in the gaming moths (bad analogy?...you moths!) and the first tangible/visceral step of that is the DROP DEAD GORGEOUS new front page and backend that Chris is building for us. We will have a front page that does our content justice and that visually elevates our site above our competitors.

At the same time I've also been working to further establish PSU's reputation as a solid source of news and info for DUST 514 as this has been very beneficial to the site and is a lead that shouldn't be abandoned. With EVE Valkyrie coming to PS4 it's even more potential for us to capitalise on. I've been doing a crap ton of writing, making FAQs and articles and slowly forming a content building empire with interested members from PSU's clan.

As a visionary I'm more focused on the endgame big picture and have my head filled with the grand. This however can sometimes put blinders on to the more immediate and finer details that still need to be addressed and I know that this isn't really any good for the day-to-day experience at the forums in the mean time. Just know that I'm committed to working with the team to bring about an evolution for PSU and doing my part to help keep the place going financially and that I'll take off the blinders to deal with these matters and work on the things I've planned but got distracted from.

A few changes will be coming up soon regarding the site's disciplinary path and I'll make a post about that in the very near future. We have revived and customised the site's infraction system to embrace the spirit of the disciplinary system we created so that administration is now super simple again.

The front page is coming along fantastically and anyone who would like to help with focus testing can send me a PM to get access to that forum.

Fijiandoce has been working on a shop revamp but we have to hold off on that one as the shop has been identified as a severe contributor to the site's poor performance.

You may see the member count at the bottom of the page dropping. These are ancient redundant accounts that were made many years ago and never even posted once. We should be sitting around 100K when all is said and done.

Finally, I'm going to start delegating more because I'm a bit too phased with my life at the moment to tackle the thing's I'd like to at the site.

Thanks all for your patience, understanding and continued support. I'm open to PMs if anyone wants to vent concerns, frustrations or has any questions.

Cheers guys n gals

Ghost

Veteran
    Items Manchester United
    Does psu have a twitter account? I think twitter is underused as an advertising method via it's members...linking to content etc...

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by jj03 View Post
    Does psu have a twitter account? I think twitter is underused as an advertising method via it's members...linking to content etc...
    We do yeah, the content guys tweet and FB most of the articles we publish. I'm hoping that Sony's overwhelming popularity will be a benefit for the site as more people jump on board. PSU has a good google rank and a lot of our traffic comes from google but the impression visitors get when they come here is of an outdated looking site that can be slow. We need to modernise and create a more contemporary, better performing experience at the site so that we have a better attach rate. I'm also very interested in the aesthetic of the site and the functionality moving forward. We have a lot of really strong aces up our sleeve and could really kick a lot of ass in the future and we're close to the first steps of this.

Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation
    Ghost, I am going to shoot you a pm about something.

By the way, PSU is doing a better job with reporting on the main page. Good job!

Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

Veteran
    Items Manchester United
    Sweet. Maybe advertise it's tapatalk functionality more..alot of friends browse by tapatalk...anyways, I'm sure everything will work out. This website has some incredible members.

Veteran
    I see the forum streamlining is done and I like it! Well done.

Keep up the good work.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by jj03 View Post
    Sweet. Maybe advertise it's tapatalk functionality more..alot of friends browse by tapatalk...anyways, I'm sure everything will work out. This website has some incredible members.
    Oh it's gonna work out alright. We have awesome writers, graphic designers, mod team and tech guru on board. We're rebooting PSU from the ground up and there's nothing that can really go wrong. There is a lot of harmony and good will among the content and mod teams, every one's cool and doing their part and in time we editors will be using a better CMS to publish our material on a new flashy site. Then we'll make an informed choice on forum software that will enable cool plugins and news page integration.

That's just what I envision as the best strategy for moving the site forward. I've found from experience seeing the end result is the most important part of the process, pulling the pieces together is the easy part and the pieces ARE coming together, finally. When you see randomly selected PSU banners uptop that feature Sony IP characters in a flashy ass design, well, you're welcome (was my idea). That's just one piece of input that has been given and is possible to do with our new site. The design and functionality of the front page is actively being discussed, tweaked and tested by interested members of the community. So long as Chris is willing to gift us his time, the bounds of his expertise and resourcefulness is at our disposal.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by Pong View Post
    I see the forum streamlining is done and I like it! Well done.

Keep up the good work.
    Thanks, I appreciate it.

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    djpenny1
    At the same time I've also been working to further establish PSU's reputation as a solid source of news and info for DUST 514 as this has been very beneficial to the site and is a lead that shouldn't be abandoned. With EVE Valkyrie coming to PS4 it's even more potential for us to capitalise on. I've been doing a crap ton of writing, making FAQs and articles and slowly forming a content building empire with interested members from PSU's clan.
    stop trying to feed a dead horse

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by -Dj- View Post
    stop trying to feed a dead horse
    I'm sorry, you just looked REALLY hungry.

11. Likes Brandon likes this post
    Veteran
    Ghost, are you going to get back to me on that pm?

Veteran
    Also, what happened to the sale and trade section?

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Wolf View Post
    Ghost, are you going to get back to me on that pm?
    Nope, I saw it and decided not to respond! I'm kidding of course, I'm working through the PMs, reply coming shortly.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Also, what happened to the sale and trade section?
    It was retired. It was a good idea but PSU doesn't need to be a sell trade HUB, especially when it wasn't all that popular.

16. Likes keefy likes this post
    Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Apology accepted.

18. Likes Ghost likes this post
    Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by Black View Post
    I couldn't help but notice the spelling for "varios" and lack of a period in the forum description for Gaming Comparisons. Other than that, I agree that it looks good.
    It's amazing I was that accurate with a third of a bottle of delicious irish whiskey in me.

Chocolatier to the Stars
    PSN ID
    TidalPhoenix
    Items New User TitleUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    It's amazing I was that accurate with a third of a bottle of delicious irish whiskey in me.
    When I met my wife her dad owned a pub (that's not why I ended up with her........honest ) Anyway, one night we had a lock in and I ended up drinking a litre and half of Jameson's whiskey. The rest is a blurry mess of near death experience. Needless to say I can't stand the stuff now.

​aka Sparc

Entropy isn't what it used be

YouTube Editor
    Items Tommy VercettiUser name styleModern Warfare 3
    Isn't this becoming a trend now, stating PSU is getting all these fancy shmancy updates/upgrades/additions yet nothing ever happens. Then threads are created, apologies are handed out and $#@! stays the same. Then we rinse and repeat this process every several months. Members are leaving, yet their is no initiative to stop the trend or bring them back. The current graphs of active members now compared to even 4 months ago is quite shocking.

8 years and counting!

Veteran
    I'll say it again:

PSU not only needs to keep old members, but attract new members and KEEP the new members!

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    Isn't this becoming a trend now, stating PSU is getting all these fancy shmancy updates/upgrades/additions yet nothing ever happens. Then threads are created, apologies are handed out and $#@! stays the same. Then we rinse and repeat this process every several months. Members are leaving, yet their is no initiative to stop the trend or bring them back. The current graphs of active members now compared to even 4 months ago is quite shocking.
    75% of sites are faster than PSU if Alexa.com is accurate and the site has suffered through poor update decisions and so what we are left with is a slow and unstable forum attached to an antiquated and dated looking frontpage and CMS. We aren't going to have a high attach rate if people get 500 errors and slugglish load times regardless of content. People can now chat directly to both their friends, industry people and celebs via FB and twitter and it's kind of a clear trend...I don't consider this a battle I can win so am not going down that path. PSU has a close knit community and there has been countless feedback with remarks of our forums having a cool and unique community and this is enough to keep vets here but for potential new comers who don't know anyone, there isn't that reason to stay.

PSU basically needs to be built from the ground up with a new frontpage, better CMS and eventually a more dynamic and flexible forum which can be molded to our whim by Sir Chris. To get that forum we need €/$ and right now the best option is to get the front page looking modern and badass and using this as a springboard to improve PSU's brand power. THAT is a much better strategy with a higher chance of success than anything else I can think of.

Nothing ever happens? Aren't you in the focus group for the new page? I thought I saw your name in there. Steven said he's hoping to have it roll out before E3 with is just 2 months away. I'm really excited

If the community at large isn't satisfied with my strategy I heartily encourage you to e-mail Steven and voice your concerns and if Steven wants he can demote me and hold a new CM election. The third person perspective is always more accurate than the first and maybe I am unknowingly running this place into the ground. I'll leave that for you guys to decide and as I said, let Steven know directly if you feel strongly enough about it. I've said from the start that if, in the future, it was decided that I wasn't sufficient I would step down. I'm not going to be all dictatorial about this role and grasp onto it even if I'm doing a $#@! job.

In any event I'm going to keep doing my part; working with this team of amazing, talented, smart and cool people to build a brand new, slick, badass looking frontpage. Also doing what I can content-wise on the front page with my D514 strategy--until the time we can get new forums, and work with Chris to add cool plugins and features and make sure SEO is fully integrated from the get-go to get best visibility..and well, whatever we want. Steven is in charge of PSU and we are all friends and basically have this digital canvas and the resources of create a masterpiece and that's what's going down in that focus section. There haven't been any visual changes the past week or so because the backend has been getting some love and as I mentioned before. I've been talking to Chris about custom wallpapers and banners for different areas of the site and other things and they are all doable with the new system. Our only limitation is the bounds of our team's expertise and resourcefulness and I haven't seen that boundary yet so it's pretty exciting. There is a tentative roll out period of pre-E3...

Veteran
    PSU needs money? Can members donate to PSU to help upgrade PSU?

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    PSU needs money? Can members donate to PSU to help upgrade PSU?
    They can and do via the PSU subscription but money we make from that is just a part contributor in the overall picture. We'd need a lot more people subbing and there is only so much we can offer to make it more appealing. With even the shop causing substantial performance hits we don't really have wiggle room for plug ins and such. I'd ask Chris to program some stuff in but the code is apparently less than desirable and playing around with it could just create further issues. I had Fijian doing a full shop revamp and we would have had sub only stuff in there but only if we can get a fix from dragonbyte. This again comes back to the aforementioned poor software and upgrade decisions made in the past. There is the achievements system which is now in the hands of a 3rd PSU member and so is going a bit slower than I'd hoped. I might revert back to my original concept of more pop culture awards like over 9000 etc. I discovered the icons can be bigger than my existing ones so will have a look at this on the weekend. So yeah...

We could always do a kickstarter

YouTube Editor
    Items Tommy VercettiUser name styleModern Warfare 3
    Judging by the hits the front page receives I would suspect the monthly revenue from advertising alone is quite substantial. I know I may never see it, but until I see an actual document which proves to me PSU isn't making money I will not believe it for a second. The fact we need things created by members for free is a showcase of lackluster management with poor abilities in specific areas. Ghost the CM position is a paid position, so why aren't you busting your ass and getting $#@! done? Cleaning the forums and changing the layout can be done by any Admin on the site. Where are the community initiatives/incentives? There hasn't been a damn thing take place to spur interest in ages, nothing concrete has filtered down to gain awareness of our community, get our current members more involved, or ways to showcase the community to the outside world to gain new followers.

You know as well as I do that I have been on this rant many times in the past, and quite frankly I am getting tired of it. Until PSU wakes the hell up and realizes they need an experienced person taking the reigns on things, and given full creative control with some financial backing nothing will get better, it will simply sit in the same state and only deteriorate further from the core out. Meanwhile we have members sitting around with colored user names who frankly do nothing more for the community other than banning spam bots, deleting posts, and occasionally showing up in a thread with red text.

I could start a very long list showcasing other sites with amazing communities funded by nothing more than initiative, creativity, and a desire to succeed, but I won't do that as quite frankly I shouldn't have to. I now ask myself the same question many times over, why the hell am I still here?! Been here since 2005, seen it all, was on staff for several years as well. But sadly my time here may soon be ending for good.

8 years and counting!

27. Likes The Black Wolf likes this post
    Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Items Joker (limited ICON)
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    Judging by the hits the front page receives I would suspect the monthly revenue from advertising alone is quite substantial. I know I may never see it, but until I see an actual document which proves to me PSU isn't making money I will not believe it for a second. The fact we need things created by members for free is a showcase of lackluster management with poor abilities in specific areas. Ghost the CM position is a paid position, so why aren't you busting your ass and getting $#@! done? Cleaning the forums and changing the layout can be done by any Admin on the site. Where are the community initiatives/incentives? There hasn't been a damn thing take place to spur interest in ages, nothing concrete has filtered down to gain awareness of our community, get our current members more involved, or ways to showcase the community to the outside world to gain new followers.

You know as well as I do that I have been on this rant many times in the past, and quite frankly I am getting tired of it. Until PSU wakes the hell up and realizes they need an experienced person taking the reigns on things, and given full creative control with some financial backing nothing will get better, it will simply sit in the same state and only deteriorate further from the core out. Meanwhile we have members sitting around with colored user names who frankly do nothing more for the community other than banning spam bots, deleting posts, and occasionally showing up in a thread with red text.

I could start a very long list showcasing other sites with amazing communities funded by nothing more than initiative, creativity, and a desire to succeed, but I won't do that as quite frankly I shouldn't have to. I now ask myself the same question many times over, why the hell am I still here?! Been here since 2005, seen it all, was on staff for several years as well. But sadly my time here may soon be ending for good.
    in a long time... i agree with your post

Especially the last sentence.

Veteran
    Ghost, i am afraid justin is right. this is not a personal knock against you, so please dont take it that way.

youve been gm for a while and the site and forums need progress, badly. i although i may not be the sharpest tool in the shed, dont see enough progress and things done. there have been things proposed that could have been done by now, but have not such as a revamp of community reviews, adds to subscriber privilages, and etc. these could draw peeps to the site.

cm is a paid job and in some updates you said youve been busy with real life. the thing about that is although i understand, this should not interfere with your paid job.

Thread Information