Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Hard drive bungee mod

I can imagine some of you scratching your heads and wondering what does the title of this thread mean?

It means this, those elastic cords with hooks on the end often used to tie tarpaulin down on trucks are used instead to suspend hard drives from to dampen the vibrations they create.

Here is my effort. Shame I couldn't find any black cord locally and I wasn't about to send out for any , this job cost me no more than 10.50 - 7.50 for the cords ( I got 8 pairs of various lengths in a set) and 3 for the white P-clips. It doesn't look pretty but it does the job exceptionally well. Need to trim the excess off for starters.

It was fairly simple due to my case having a cage to fit the hard drives in that slots between the 5.25 inch DVD drive at the top and a second hard drive cage at the bottom. For this to work I needed to remove the bottom cage which is easier said than done because it is held in position in part by pop rivets, but they are no match for a drill with a 4mm bit. If unsure how this looks I highlighted the part I removed from my case.

Prior to this I could hear the drives humming and resonating in a pulsing fashion. similar to this.

Last edited by keefy; 04-02-2014 at 00:02.

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    Doesn't your case use any rubber grommets?

Supreme Veteran
    My current case has these rail things that clip onto the drives without the need for screws then they slide into the cage. They have some rubber washer on the rails.

Also in the past for a different case I bought some sharkoon vibe fixer iii things that were useless but now I use them as feet for my current case.

http://www.sharkoon.com/?q=en/content/vibe-fixer-iii

Case manufacturers need to address hard drive vibration more effectively, currently suspending the cage via rubber bungees seems to be the best way I have come across, why can't manufacturers do the same but in a more professional way? Take car exhausts for example they are hung off rubber mountings.
    Do we really need quick access to hard drives? why can't hey be hung in the case instead of clipped mechanically and securely causing resonance.
    Last edited by keefy; 04-02-2014 at 13:11.

Elite Sage
    Decent effort. My HDD is in a tray that holds it well. No noise from it other than when it is reading.

My SSD is Sellotaped to the side of my case

BBK.. Tapa. Talked.

Supreme Veteran
    What case you got BBK?

Elite Sage
    Corsair 800D. Tis a big old beast

BBK.. Tapa. Talked.

Thread Information