Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    PSU Live Streamer

Watch Dogs has more side content than main content

source

Ubisoft Montreal producer Dominic Guay tells games™ that the studio’s newest open world adventure will cater for fans that prefer to go out and do their own thing

Any open world game doesn’t just require a single, core narrative – a selection of smaller, interwoven missions and story threads are also expected by players to knit the world together, granting a sense of cohesion and unity. Hitting upon the right balance is always going to be tricky, but Ubisoft Montreal reckons they’ve managed to straddle the line adeptly with Watch Dogs.
    “[The balance between side- and main- content] all depends on how you play the game, and right now we’re conducting playtests of the full game – we’re putting people on the game, and some of the players will naturally focus on the storyline while others will just go off and explore the world, ignore the storyline and go back to it later,” explains Dominic Guay, senior producer at Ubisoft Montreal. “That’s exactly what we had in mind when we built our game world. I don’t want to bring it down to numbers, but I’d provisionally say we have more side content to get engaged with than we do main content, so if our players really want to get engaged with being a vigilante and acquiring more means to fight enemies, they can spend days and days just doing that. We also have a lot of dynamic events in the city that we don’t necessarily call missions – we’ve shown these in some of our demoes where there are criminal activities going on, and you the player can choose to intervene if they want to. There are also contracts that the player can take from various factions that will challenge Aiden’s various abilities, as well as what we like to call narrative trends in the city where the player can hack into someone’s phone conversations or see what’s happening ‘behind-the-curtains’. You’ll hear about a lot of different things happening, and we want the player to be able to get involved with those by investigating various activities that are going on around them. For us it was fundamental that we not only give all the side-content narrative context but also that we give the player reasons for getting involved with it. That was really at the core of what we’re trying to do.”
    For the full interview with Guay, games™ issue 139 is available now.

Could be a good thing depending on your point of view. As long as the story itself is lengthy enough to enjoy, than having an even larger pool of side missions that are fun/engaging....I'm all for it. I love running around the worlds Ubisoft creates.

Come find me on Twitch.tv!

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I'm cool with this. I'm usually a side mission $#@! in open world games. I've got 70 hrs on Skyrim and barely beat any story missions.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

PSU Live Streamer
    Quote Originally Posted by PS4freak View Post
    I'm cool with this. I'm usually a side mission $#@! in open world games. I've got 70 hrs on Skyrim and barely beat any story missions.
    Totally let Skyrim pass me by. I own it, but it fell into my backlog game list. I really need to get on that.

But regarding Watch Dogs, I'll likely get lost in the world doing side stuff as long as its fun. I spent hours in AC4 and Farcry3 simply because I love the worlds Ubisoft creates. And while I don't necessarily love collecting random stuff just sitting on the ground for the nothing more than being there to find. I do enjoy working towards upgrades and unlocking items and even opening up dark areas of maps. So while people complain that turning over camps in Farcry is the same as the eagle thingy in AC games....I don't care, I like doing it lol.

El Presidente
    I'm the type of person who likes to go through and do most to all of the side missions before finishing the main story. So this is pretty good news for me.

Focus. Control. Conviction. Resolve. A true ace lacks none of these attributes. Nothing can deter you from the task at hand except your own fears. This is your sky.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Quote Originally Posted by shepard View Post
    So while people complain that turning over camps in Farcry is the same as the eagle thingy in AC games....I don't care, I like doing it lol.
    I've gotten really sick of that formula. inFamous: Second Son was probably the worst offender in that regard.

We know that Watch Dogs has the same general formula of opening up each district, but I hope the side missions in this game feel interesting enough. I hate the approach of taking the same three or four types of side missions and sprinkling them in each district.

I don't want to go through the process of unlocking a new district which then unlocks 4 new assassination contracts, 3 more racing events, 10 more feathers/shards to collect, and then unlock another district which then unlocks 5 new assassination contracts, 2 more racing events, 13 more feathers/shards to collect, and so on.

That's lazy and boring. Give me quality over quantity. Give me side missions that contain interesting characters and stories.

Apprentice

stoked. this is outstanding news.

PSU Live Streamer
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    Give me side missions that contain interesting characters and stories.
    I agree. But I don't mind 'some' of the other stuff either. Yes the eagle vision version of opening up a map in AC is the least fun version of it. Climb a building or something, look around, done.

I did have fun approaching each camp in Farcry 3 how I wanted. Dealing with varying layouts, enemy types, alarm systems.....even unleashing caged animals or driving jeeps in the front gate with c4 packed on the hood.

In AC4 I didn't mind collecting the shanties or buried treasures.
    In AC4 and Farcry3 I really enjoyed the hunting and gathering to upgrade my gear.

They further the game experience by allowing you to enhance your character in some way, or just present an interesting open world challenge. In alot of ways it's what made my experience in Farcry 3 so memorable. Never before had I been able to experience being in the middle of combat between 2 npc factions only to have jungle tigers or kododragons enter the fight as well. Sure it can happen during a story mission, but it's those little things that would occur during a regular item collection attempt that made an otherwise 'same old thing' objective and turn it into something more.

As long as the game is built properly, these "lazy boring" situations become less lazy and boring.

my 2 cents

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    I agree. But I don't mind 'some' of the other stuff either. Yes the eagle vision version of opening up a map in AC is the least fun version of it. Climb a building or something, look around, done.

I did have fun approaching each camp in Farcry 3 how I wanted. Dealing with varying layouts, enemy types, alarm systems.....even unleashing caged animals or driving jeeps in the front gate with c4 packed on the hood.

In AC4 I didn't mind collecting the shanties or buried treasures.
    In AC4 and Farcry3 I really enjoyed the hunting and gathering to upgrade my gear.

They further the game experience by allowing you to enhance your character in some way, or just present an interesting open world challenge. In alot of ways it's what made my experience in Farcry 3 so memorable. Never before had I been able to experience being in the middle of combat between 2 npc factions only to have jungle tigers or kododragons enter the fight as well. Sure it can happen during a story mission, but it's those little things that would occur during a regular item collection attempt that made an otherwise 'same old thing' objective and turn it into something more.

As long as the game is built properly, these "lazy boring" situations become less lazy and boring.

my 2 cents
    I'm not necessarily saying that the side-missions themselves are bad. If you look at each mission in a vacuum, they're usually at least decently fun.

It's the overall process that's lazy. Create a decent side mission type, make 20 versions of it and sprinkle a few in each district, create another decent side mission type, make 20 versions of it and sprinkle a few in each district, rinse and repeat.

You're supposed to be in a sandbox environment, yet the overall gameplay process is very repetitive.

PSU Live Streamer
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    You're supposed to be in a sandbox environment, yet the overall gameplay process is very repetitive.
    Right, but like I said...I think it comes down to how well the sandbox reacts to you being in it. Not just how you act while in it.

My example of Farcry3 having 3 different types of npcs in combat with one another and me included was uniquely fun to me. Your faction fighting the enemy faction fighting you and suddenly a tiger attacks everyone. And you chanced not even seeing it till you decided to stray off course and pick up a relic on the map :P

With regards to Watch_Dogs we can only speculate/hope. But I do know the devs have mentioned they have given each npc some level of uniqueness to themselves, so not everyone will react the same way during any given situation. I hope that means it will lend itself to a more random experience.

Only time will tell. Unfortunately there won't be any random tiger encounters in the middle of Chicago....though that would be friggin cool

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Totally let Skyrim pass me by. I own it, but it fell into my backlog game list. I really need to get on that.

But regarding Watch Dogs, I'll likely get lost in the world doing side stuff as long as its fun. I spent hours in AC4 and Farcry3 simply because I love the worlds Ubisoft creates. And while I don't necessarily love collecting random stuff just sitting on the ground for the nothing more than being there to find. I do enjoy working towards upgrades and unlocking items and even opening up dark areas of maps. So while people complain that turning over camps in Farcry is the same as the eagle thingy in AC games....I don't care, I like doing it lol.
    I agree with you there. I try to do as much as possible in games. That's why I love side content.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Apprentice

I'm glad the "downgrade" controversy is blowing over. Now we can delve into the real game. As I thought, it looks like it might at least moderately live up to the hype.

Master Guru
    There's nothing wrong with that. I love side content when it's done right. Watch Dogs is going to be amazing.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Agreed with everyone here.

This is good news for someone like me. I'm a long play kinda guy, often have multiple titles on the go, so this is good.
    I am the oncoming storm.

Dedicated Member
    Items User name style
    But can i visit a strip club with the boys?
    You can't be serious with the 30 megabyte signature... ~ Staff

Maths is biased! It keeps telling me the PS4 is 50% more powerful than XboxOne!
    Great song, should have more views :'(

SHIMAASAAAANIIII!!!!!
    http://i.imgur.com/bP50xuM.png

Superior Member
    I like this. I don't have the time to grind out a Skyrim length campaign anymore. I like this approach as long as the side stuff is compelling and fun. I enjoy inFamous SS but the side missions are a rinse and repeat affair....boring.
    Mouth Pounding since 95'

Racing Game Fanatic
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Items Title StyleVitaPS3 Slim
    This is good news, AC4 had a lot of side missions that you could do which made the game longer but not boring in the slightest! Plus it never harmed the main story so as long as this is along the same lines then it's all good!
    PSN ID: Duffman19864

Twitter ID: Duffman1986

My New Youtube Gaming Channel: Duffman Gaming

Apprentice
    I've always liked side content more than main content so this makes me very happy.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Right, but like I said...I think it comes down to how well the sandbox reacts to you being in it. Not just how you act while in it.
    But why can't we have both?

Not only can the sandbox react differently to what you're doing, but the sandbox can also have you doing different things. And there are games that do both.

Look at Skyrim as a good example. There are random events that occur in the game (bandits, dragons, etc), but there also unique quests to discover wherever you go. Instead of simply unlocking the next district and unlocking the same three or four side missions again, if you check out Winterhold you'll come across the Mages Guild quest-line and other unique quests. If you get to Riften you'll come across the Thieves Guild quest-line and other quests. Etc.

PSU Live Streamer
    Now you are comparing an open-world rpg to an open-world action/adventure game. I know what you are getting at tho, and I definitely wouldn't say no to it. But I think the lines dividing these 2 genres would end up being quite blurred.

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffman1986 View Post
    This is good news, AC4 had a lot of side missions that you could do which made the game longer but not boring in the slightest! Plus it never harmed the main story so as long as this is along the same lines then it's all good!
    AC4 was pretty boring as was AC3 IMO. Traded the game in for infamous, but only had it because I traded 2K to my bro for AC4. i was already tired of the game the moment I got to the first town. I don't see how people buy these games every year.

As for Watch Dogs, I still will pass.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    OregonViking
    I'm totally stoked about it!

Apprentice

Now I want to know exactly what this "side content" is going to be...

Apprentice

I'm catching up on my news and see that quite a bit of activity is going on for this game finally! I'm glad more news is out and we can finally talk about the finer details.

In any game with lots of side content I get completely immersed in it and try to do it all. For good games like Borderlands, Skyrim and so on I love this kind of thing. I'm really happy to hear this news, I'm all for more stuff to do in games.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by bru_sek View Post
    Now I want to know exactly what this "side content" is going to be...
    Same here! I want to see a trailer that shows Aiden going on side missions or something.

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Hayzoo5 View Post
    Same here! I want to see a trailer that shows Aiden going on side missions or something.
    That sounds cool, I'd like to see that as well. Has there ever been a video featuring side quests in a game before? I can't think of any off the top of my head but I can't say i've seen every trailer for every game, not by a long, long shot.

Thread Information