Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    thanatos144

Is Skyrim worth playing?

I bought Oblivion on a recommendation from the store clerk and I hate it. It is far to complicated and convoluted. I thought it would be smooth like FallOut 3 was but it wasn't. Yet people still say Skyrim is a great game. I am really ify on it. If I didn't like the first game whats the chances of me liking the next?

I have yet to finish Oblivion nor do I ever feel the need to. It is not normal for me to not finish a game. Hell it took me a year to finish Dragon Age Origins and it had HORRIBLE playing mechanics but the story was top notch I had to see how it ended. I cant say the same for Oblivion.

It would be nice to have the honest opinion of you all.

Finally You Are Free
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Skyrim has a little less hand-holding compared to Oblivion. There's also less enemy leveling (which made Oblivion pathetically easy), so you can venture into a cave or dungeon and get your ass scattered across the floor. The combat is also superior, being less hack-&-slash. The dragon shouts also add some nice variety to the combat, and open up some strategies when fighting tougher enemies. I personally found the cold world of Skyrim more interesting than the grassy fields of Cyrodiil. The world and locations were generally much more interesting.

I think Skyrim is superior to Oblivion because it's a bit more hardcore than Oblivion. It actually provides a challenge; the world and themes feel more mature and appealing. Though Skyrim can't touch Morrowind's grace.

What exactly do you mean by Oblivion being too complicated?

PSN ID
    nervegas_ds
    it depends on what you didn't like about oblivion. skyrim is very different. biggest change being how you level your character. you dont have to pick all your skills and abilities you want to develop up front. the way you play directly shapes what kind of character you are. the combat is a lot better too.

but i really liked oblivion. i got it when i got my first ps3 and played it everyday for 8 months. and i've put 330 hours into skyrim. you could try to watch some lets plays on youtube, see if it's more your speed.

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    The gameplay over Oblivion is a large step up.

IMO, Fallout has the worst gameplay of the lot, they all look, and move, like robots
    but from my opinion you can kinda gauge how i consider the three games.

not hatin' on Fallout, you can check my pics of my game in the PC thread, i actually quite like Fallout:
    Quote Originally Posted by Fijiandoce View Post
    been playing around with an ENB for fallout, decided to see what could be done
    suffice to say, Fallout is GPU limited when running ENB (i forget its name), however, the code used is unoptimized as $#@!

no AA, no AF, no MSI afterburner (strangely all textures turn transparent when MSI is running )
    so with that knowledge i apologise for file sizes.

these things are fiddly as all hell
    Skyrim implements stuff from both Oblivion and Fallout to make it a very compelling purchase. You can have companions follow you like you can in Fallout. you can buy a house. etc. The number of spells and crap in Oblivion has been cut down and streamlined. In fact, you can think of Skyrim as the most streamlined Oblivion can be.

The story is kinda what you make it. It's just as thin and bland as the stories in Fallout and Oblivion.

What about oblivion did you find complicated and convoluted? maybe i can give a better answer on Skyrim if i knew exactly what bugged you in Oblivion, because personally, as i walked out of that prison for the first time, i fell in love with the game. so im kinda biased
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    thanatos144
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    Skyrim has a little less hand-holding compared to Oblivion. There's also less enemy leveling (which made Oblivion pathetically easy), so you can venture into a cave or dungeon and get your ass scattered across the floor. The combat is also superior, being less hack-&-slash. The dragon shouts also add some nice variety to the combat, and open up some strategies when fighting tougher enemies. I personally found the cold world of Skyrim more interesting than the grassy fields of Cyrodiil. The world and locations were generally much more interesting.

I think Skyrim is superior to Oblivion because it's a bit more hardcore than Oblivion. It actually provides a challenge; the world and themes feel more mature and appealing. Though Skyrim can't touch Morrowind's grace.

What exactly do you mean by Oblivion being too complicated?
    The leveling system and map markers. to many things to level PLUS trying to level your job seemed overly complicated. The map just confused the hell out of me....You could walk for hours with no clue where the story was. Just two main faults I had with the game.

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Quote Originally Posted by thanatos144 View Post
    The leveling system and map markers. to many things to level PLUS trying to level your job seemed overly complicated. The map just confused the hell out of me....You could walk for hours with no clue where the story was. Just two main faults I had with the game.
    Skyrim fixes those problems.

You only level the stuff you use. so if you wanna be a Heavy Armour wielding Mage.....mage away
    You can specialize into the stuff you want. no job type grinding.

The map markers; if you go into your journal (just the start screen) you can uncheck all but the task you actually want to be doing which puts only a single (or however many you decide) map marker on the map for you. so it got that down too.

However, Skyrim being open world, your still gunna be wondering about. personally i quite like that. It also doesn't hurt that the visuals are also much better than Oblivion and Fallout.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    thanatos144
    Skyrim fixes those problems.

You only level the stuff you use. so if you wanna be a Heavy Armour wielding Mage.....mage away
    You can specialize into the stuff you want. no job type grinding.

The map markers; if you go into your journal (just the start screen) you can uncheck all but the task you actually want to be doing which puts only a single (or however many you decide) map marker on the map for you. so it got that down too.

However, Skyrim being open world, your still gunna be wondering about. personally i quite like that. It also doesn't hurt that the visuals are also much better than Oblivion and Fallout.
    I dont mind open world and getting side tracked some....It is part of a RPG... Just they needed to find a better way of tacking what I did or need to do. It took me forever to find out in oblivion I could fast travel to just about any where I have already been.......They just didn't seem to explain it to well. But truth be be told the leveling system was a nightmare in oblivion....

Finally You Are Free
    Leveling is definitely improved. You 'level' the way you play. It's extremely natural and makes sense. If you're using a lot of hammers and maces then your character will become stronger in that regard. Once you level up so many skills you can then level up yourself, and choose to increase either you magicka, stamina, or health.

In general the game feels more complete and polished than Oblivion did, fixing a lot of the issues it had. Things like the improved combat, graphics, addition of dragons, dragon shouts, etc all make it a better package. The world itself just feels better.

My only issue with Skyirm is the animations are kinda derpy, a plague that persists in all of Bethesda's games. :/

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    thanatos144
    Leveling is definitely improved. You 'level' the way you play. It's extremely natural and makes sense. If you're using a lot of hammers and maces then your character will become stronger in that regard. Once you level up so many skills you can then level up yourself, and choose to increase either you magicka, stamina, or health.

In general the game feels more complete and polished than Oblivion did, fixing a lot of the issues it had. Things like the improved combat, graphics, addition of dragons, dragon shouts, etc all make it a better package. The world itself just feels better.

My only issue with Skyirm is the animations are kinda derpy, a plague that persists in all of Bethesda's games. :/
    Yea it is almost like Bethesda has never heard of Motion Capture LOL

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Yea it is almost like Bethesda has never heard of Motion Capture LOL
    Yeah, I imagine it would be difficult to do this kind of stuff in a game this huge. Skyrim is great and has improved in just about every aspect over Oblivion. The leveling is more streamlined, magic is easier to use, and little things like revamping lock picking actually made a huge difference.

I will say that if you have a 360 then buy that version. It is far superior to the PS3 version.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    thanatos144
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    Yeah, I imagine it would be difficult to do this kind of stuff in a game this huge. Skyrim is great and has improved in just about every aspect over Oblivion. The leveling is more streamlined, magic is easier to use, and little things like revamping lock picking actually made a huge difference.

I will say that if you have a 360 then buy that version. It is far superior to the PS3 version.
    why? Faster loading?

PSN ID
    nervegas_ds
    why? Faster loading?
    less glitchy. ps3 version is by far the worst. crashed my ps3 several times, too many to count. even red-lighted it once. xbox version is a bit better, pc is best. but if you can only get it on ps3, version 1.9 (current) fixes most problems. i got the game at launch. lots of teething problems. but a new game on 1.9 on ps3 should be ok.

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    why? Faster loading?
    the graphics and framerate are just superior. My kids wanted to play it on 360 so we bought that and then the collector's edition was on sale at Bestbuy for the same price as the regular game so I bought that. So I saw them almost side by side. The 360 version was so much better looking and when stuff got busy on the screen during battles or whatever, the PS3 version framerate was unbearable. Bethesda just did a $#@! job on the PS3 version.

Reference:
    http://kotaku.com/5885358/why-skyrim...th-the-ps3/all

Quote Originally Posted by NerveGas View Post
    less glitchy. ps3 version is by far the worst. crashed my ps3 several times, too many to count. even red-lighted it once. xbox version is a bit better, pc is best. but if you can only get it on ps3, version 1.9 (current) fixes most problems. i got the game at launch. lots of teething problems. but a new game on 1.9 on ps3 should be ok.
    Yeah, I gave up on the PS3 version before they finished patching so it could be fine now.

edit: I'd still go with the 360 version just to be safe.
    Last edited by Christopher; 04-03-2014 at 14:14.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

14. Likes N0REGARD4LIFE likes this post
    Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    thanatos144
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    the graphics and framerate are just superior. My kids wanted to play it on 360 so we bought that and then the collector's edition was on sale at Bestbuy for the same price as the regular game so I bought that. So I saw them almost side by side. The 360 version was so much better looking and when stuff got busy on the screen during battles or whatever, the PS3 version framerate was unbearable. Bethesda just did a $#@! job on the PS3 version.

Reference:
    http://kotaku.com/5885358/why-skyrim...th-the-ps3/all

Yeah, I gave up on the PS3 version before they finished patching so it could be fine now.

edit: I'd still go with the 360 version just to be safe.
    Seeing as only my kids have 360 it will have to be PC or ps3

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Seeing as only my kids have 360 it will have to be PC or ps3
    get it for PC. there are MANY performance mods that make the game run as it should. apparently, Bethesda is made up of the least skilled developers in the world if guys in their basements are besting them

i keed i course!

EDIT:
    to list a few:
    Skyrim Project Optimization
    Unofficial Skyrim Patch
    Last edited by Fijiandoce; 04-03-2014 at 14:37.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Finally You Are Free
    Always go PC when you can, especially for an Elder Scrolls game. The game is something entirely greater on the PC platform.

<3 mods

El Presidente
    Yes. There is lots to do and a big world to explore.

Focus. Control. Conviction. Resolve. A true ace lacks none of these attributes. Nothing can deter you from the task at hand except your own fears. This is your sky.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    thanatos144
    get it for PC. there are MANY performance mods that make the game run as it should. apparently, Bethesda is made up of the least skilled developers in the world if guys in their basements are besting them

i keed i course!

EDIT:
    to list a few:
    Skyrim Project Optimization
    Unofficial Skyrim Patch
    LOL not by much

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    thanatos144
    well I went and bought it with steam.... Just Skyrim not the legendary. 30 bucks seemed to be worth the chance. Since it seems the leveling system seems less overwhelming.

Finally You Are Free
    Aww. I would've recommended waiting for a sale, and snagging the legendary edition up for a cheaper price. The game has great DLC, from vampire questlines to exploring a completely separate island.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    thanatos144
    Aww. I would've recommended waiting for a sale, and snagging the legendary edition up for a cheaper price. The game has great DLC, from vampire questlines to exploring a completely separate island.
    LOL Hey very seldom I get money to buy a game . Bills normaly take all my funds so I have to jump when I have the money LOL

PSU Live Streamer
    heh, I really need to devote time to this game some day. My ps3 backlog is getting smaller and smaller. Soon all I'll have left are 60+ hour titles to play through lol. This being one of them.

But yea, chances are good my ps3 copy will never get played as I just built a brand new beast of a PC. So I'll likely get the legendary edition on PC when it's cheap to prepare for the day I'm finally ready to delve into this game.

Come find me on Twitch.tv!

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    thanatos144
    Okay didn't have much time with it. I had to be at work at six and needed a nap. The map is horrible! Lol how do you get used to it? Lol but the leveling is so much better. Combat is very much improved. .... what's with the slow mo kills?

tapatalk post

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    There's a mod for just about any preference in Skyrim

try one of these:
    A Quality World Map - With Roads
    Warburgs 3D Paper World Map
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    Scheller
    Yes.

I absolutely loved Oblivion. I still have my save and the character I used has 170 hours, more than a handful of my Skyrim characters have combined.

However, after having played Skyrim and the Fallout games, I cannot go back to it. The leveling is terrible. The dungeons are too boring. Certain gameplay mechanics are too frustrating. Overall the game has been ruined by how much better parts of the game have been made on those other titles.

It'll be a big plus on PC. Most every issue you'll come across will have fixes.

Thread Information