PSU Live Streamer

The Witcher 3: Two Areas Are Over 52 Square Miles by Themselves...

source

CD Projekt Red and Umbra Software held a presentation titled “Solving Visibility and Streaming in The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt with Umbra 3“ at the Game Developers Conference, and it included a very interesting detail (that I happened to overlook when I first examined the original slides) as discovered by Reddit user fughp.
    The slides mention the size of two of the areas included in the game: the city of Novigrad measures 8.5 x 8.5 km for a total size of 72,25 square km, while Skellige is 8 x 8 km, meaning 64 square km. Summed up, the two areas cover 136,25 square km, which convert to just north of 52 square miles.
    By comparison, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim‘s world has been calculated to measure 14.8 square miles. This means that the two areas named above are already over 3.5 times larger than the whole Skyrim map.
    This is actually fairly interesting since back in June CD Projekt RED described The Witcher 3 as 20% larger than Bethesda’s open world game. We currently don’t know if that was just a preliminary estimate, or the Witcher‘s world just got bigger since then.
    We reached out to CD Projekt RED requesting information to shed light on the issue, and we’ll keep you updated if we receive any relevant answer. In the meanwhile one thing is for sure: the world of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is pretty damn big.

Come find me on Twitch.tv!

Miqo'te Bard
    Items New User TitleProtect yourselfFull Metal AlchemistFangDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverBattlefield 3Title StyleUser name style
    Could be bigger than daggerfall?
    I have twitter to https://twitter.com/GamerYuichi , Also started youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMu7yRGCz8QrTyxaNVR3Tqw I don't always twitch, but when I can you can find my noobness http://www.twitch.tv/yuichimccry,

Racing Game Fanatic
    PSN ID
    gold106gti
    Items Title StyleVitaPS3 Slim
    Slightly dissapointed it's been delayed till next year but still really looking forward to this game!
    PSN ID: gold106gti

Twitter ID: Duffman1986

My New Youtube Gaming Channel: Duffman Gaming

4. Likes sterritt likes this post
    PSU Live Streamer
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffman1986 View Post
    Slightly dissapointed it's been delayed till next year but still really looking forward to this game!
    Same, really wanted to get my hands on this game sooner. But good things, those who wait, yadda yadda....

Come find me on Twitch.tv!

6. Likes Duffman likes this post
    Friendship is Carrots
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    The slides mention the size of two of the areas included in the game: the city of Novigrad measures 8.5 x 8.5 km for a total size of 72,25 square km, while Skellige is 8 x 8 km, meaning 64 square km. Summed up, the two areas cover 136,25 square km, which convert to just north of 52 square miles.
    Well, that just doesn't add up at all. That's not the size of the city, like the article says, just it and the land around it. What's important is what you can do in that space, not how big it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Yuuichi View Post
    Could be bigger than daggerfall?
    Daggerfall is 487,000 square kilometers. Over twice the size of Great Britain.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

Dedicated Member
    Items User name style
    CDPR should take all the time they need to make it perfect, i can wait.
    You can't be serious with the 30 megabyte signature... ~ Staff

Maths is biased! It keeps telling me the PS4 is 50% more powerful than XboxOne!
    Great song, should have more views :'(

SHIMAASAAAANIIII!!!!!
    http://i.imgur.com/bP50xuM.png

9. Likes Bitbydeath likes this post
    Master Guru
    The Witcher 3 is going to be amazing. That's all i got.

El Presidente
    Hopefully its filled with lots to do. I'm still back and forth about this game. I feel like I should play the first two games. I know you don't have to to know what's going on in this this one but...

Focus. Control. Conviction. Resolve. A true ace lacks none of these attributes. Nothing can deter you from the task at hand except your own fears. This is your sky.

Superior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Duffman1986 View Post
    I personally thought second game was bit overrated, but I hope third is better.

Friendship is Carrots
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by AttackTitan View Post
    I personally thought second game was bit overrated, but I hope third is better.
    I also thought it was a little overrated. It was a great game, but I remember people losing their $#@! and hyping it up as a crown of gaming.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

Superior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    I also thought it was a little overrated. It was a great game, but I remember people losing their $#@! and hyping it up as a crown of gaming.
    had great story and great production value and everything, but just didn't feel like true RPG.

It felt like great action adventure game with RPG attached to it. I didn't think RPG element was deep and rewarding enough.

🏣

Thread Information