View Poll Results: When a person lives successfully, the most important part was his:

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Personality

1 33.33%
  • Environment

1 33.33%
  • 50/50 Personality and Environment

1 33.33%
  • Factors other than Personality and Environment

0 0%
    Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation

A Successful Life: Environment vs Personality

Which one matters the most when it comes to having a successful or poor life: a person's environment or a person's personality?

Here's two statements, which one is false?

1. The reason Martha's son grew up to be a gang banger, a convicted criminal, and a man of the streets is because of his personality. He was born a head strong, stubborn, dominant, michevious, and law breaking man.

2. The reason Martha's son grew up to be a gang banger, a convicted criminal, and a man of the streets is because of his environment. He was born in a low economic situation, low economic family, and a neighborhood filled with gangsters.

Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Environment is the easy answer for that scenario. I refuse to believe that poor excuse to act like a despicable human being. It's his personality. If we go by the logic that people are determined by their environment, then we're all slaves to something. The environment is certainly part of the reason why he is the way he is, but it's his personality that shaped him.

I think you're defined by, whether successful or poor, your personality. It's like a crew job. You sign up to a lot of jobs, but people will not judge you for that, it's your performance. They'll remember you for how good you were, not how much you were.

3. Likes $Greatness$ likes this post
    Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    GreatnessRD
    Items User name style
    Yes, you're a human being and you have choices in life. YOU can decide your own fate. Unless you live in a spot like North Korea, Iraq, etc. That's another ball game, but for the rest of us.... you have choice. You decide how the movie plays out.

$Greatness$ Awaits™

5. Likes Lebowski likes this post
    Friendship is Carrots
    Is there a difference? Your personality forms as a result of genetics and external stimuli from the environment.

Beyond the realm of physics and into a social study, I'd argue environment is a much larger factor. In the context of your question, Martha's son is (very likely) the way he is because he's grown up in a bad environment, surrounded by peer pressure and negative influence. If he had been born under the same genetic and treatment conditions but lived in a nice neighborhood with good friends, then of course he'd be much less inclined to be a gang member who makes stupid and violent choices. Under different circumstances, Martha's son might grow up and become a scientist or doctor. Maybe he can even become president, or create the vaccine to a deadly disease, or make a breakthrough in energy research.

Or maybe Martha's son has a hormonal condition that makes him prone to violence, or maybe he has ADD and never did well in school, so he had a falling out with his education during his teen years and decided to pick up on being street smart. Maybe he's innately asocial and always had trouble getting along with society and other people, so he shoots himself as a teenager out of depression, regardless of being born rich or poor, environment good or bad.

On the physical level, the outcome of an event is proceeded by all previous interactions within the system. A single change can completely alter the outcome. There's an incalculable amount of factors involved.
    Last edited by Nerevar; 04-04-2014 at 09:28.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

7. Likes Sylar likes this post
    Stockholm Syndrome
    PSN ID
    Spikey456
    Items LuluFangLightningOlivia WildeLucy PinderMichelle MarshVita360 SlimPS3 Fat
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    Is there a difference? Your personality forms as a result of genetics and external stimuli from the environment.

Beyond the realm of physics and into a social study, I'd argue environment is a much larger factor. In the context of your question, Martha's son is (very likely) the way he is because he's grown up in a bad environment, surrounded by peer pressure and bad influence. If he had been born under the same genetic and treatment conditions but lived in a nice neighborhood with good friends, then of course he'd be much less inclined to be a gang member who makes stupid and violent choices. Under different circumstances, Martha's son might grow up and become a scientist or doctor. Maybe he can even become president, or create the vaccine to a deadly disease, or make a breakthrough in energy research.

Or maybe Matrha's son has a hormonal condition that makes him prone to violence, or maybe he has ADD and never did well in school, so he had a falling out with his education during his teen years and decided to pick on on being street smart. Maybe he's innately asocial and always had trouble getting along with society and other people, so he shoots himself as a teenager out of depression, regardless of being born rich or poor, environment good or bad.

On the physical level, the outcome of an event is proceeded by all previous interactions within the system. A single change can completely alter the outcome. There's an incalculable amount of factors involved.
    what he said

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Your personality is sculpted by your environment.
    If you live in a heavy drinking and smoking family you will likely drink and smoke too.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    My dad drinks a lot, my mom smokes a lot, yet I do none of those things. And they both started earlier than my current age now.

Personality>Environment. I'm living proof, albeit a tiny shred of proof at that.

I'm sorry, I refuse to believe you can be a scumbag by your environment. Your parents mold you into whoever you are and you choose your own lifestyle based on their lessons, with your personality and your choices. Although the environment certainly contributes, I wouldn't put it in front of personality.

Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation
    Quote Originally Posted by Lebowski View Post
    My dad drinks a lot, my mom smokes a lot, yet I do none of those things. And they both started earlier than my current age now.

Personality>Environment. I'm living proof, albeit a tiny shred of proof at that.

I'm sorry, I refuse to believe you can be a scumbag by your environment. Your parents mold you into whoever you are and you choose your own lifestyle based on their lessons, with your personality and your choices. Although the environment certainly contributes, I wouldn't put it in front of personality.
    But your parents are part of your environment and your environment actually helps mold you environment, I think it does contribute more to personality than genetics.

Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

Elite Guru
    It was probably environment. I'm assuming in the example the boy grew up to a single mother. No father figure is typically problematic for young men.

Obligatory Tapatalk Signature

Thread Information