Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Dude-in-the-Room

Question about downloading something from PSN

So, I downloaded MGS:0 last night. I have a 45mbps ATT connection and when I do a test I get anywhere from 13-24mbps.

Last night when I first started downloading the game....it said it would take 45-50 minutes.

After about that much time I came back to the PS4 and saw that it said 4 hours...and was only a 4th or 3rd of the way through. I was like "WTF??" so I left it alone.

After a while I came back to it and it had downloaded a little more and it still said 4 hours.

I did a connection test and it said around 21mbps. Then I went back to see what the game was downloading at and it said 25 minutes.

I left it alone.

Went back after about 30 minutes and it said like 4 hours again or something and had only downloaded a little.

I did another connection test....same thing.....and I noticed again...that when I went back to the download screen it started going faster and said 20 minutes or something.

So it seems I have to do a connection test to get my PS4 to download at my connection speed or what is going on?

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Carla_Birch-USA
    Why your connection is 45 mbps, the download can only go as fast as the PSN servers are able to, most the time your Internets fine its just the Sony servers limiting your download.

Your ISP could also be limiting your internet if it spots your downloading a load of data, but most the time its just PSN servers.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    IS the PS4 going to low power state when left alone?

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Dude-in-the-Room
    I don't think so. It's still got the white light bar when I leave it and come back.

Thing is....it was fast when I did an internet connection test and when it first started. So, I wouldn't think it was the PSN servers....right?

I don't know too much about the PSN servers but that sucks if it takes around 4 hours to download a 4GB game. Especially on my connection.

Master Guru
    It's likely that the PSN servers were just being slow. Sony's still new to delivering a cutting edge online service. It will get there in time.

Superior Member
    Go to a website to measure you download speed from your PC Check the results. Then do the connection test on the PS4 and check the results, then finally open the PS4 web browser and check your speed from the same website as on your PC. I guarantee you'll get 3 very different results.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself

-=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    felix336
    I have a 12 Mbps connection, but it was dropping below 2 on my PS4 over wifi. Thing is, it wasn't too far from the router and my laptop which I keep in the same room was getting just over 11 Mbps. So I bought a powerline adapter and now it works great. I think the wifi on the PS4 (or at least some of them) might just be crap/defective.

Thread Information