Thread: Contact

Ultimate Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Contact

I was watching this video a couple days ago. It's the continuous 3-minute CGI opening to the movie Contact, adapted from the novel written by Carl Sagan. I haven't watched the movie in a long time but remember enjoying it when I was younger. I like it for certain reasons people did not, such as not seeing the aliens and a brief view of another civilization (when Ellie looks down at the alien planet and says, "They're alive."). But yeah, the opening is both awesome and terrifying to me as it reminds us of how small we really are in our known universe.

Anyone else remember watching the movie? It also got me thinking of the new movie coming out later this year, Interstellar, said to deal with space travel via wormhole. Interesting stuff.
    Last edited by Metal King Slime; 04-08-2014 at 05:06.
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!

Do you love GTA? Check out my general discussion thread here!

2. Likes Sylar likes this post
    Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    I love this movie! I got it two years ago on blu-ray for $10. It was very worth it. I love the opening sequence too, really special. I'm not sure about that ending, or her on the beach with aliens who can transform into memories of her dad, but I'll try go with it. Everything in the movie was great up until that part. Still, it's a very decent astronomy movie that does take itself seriously on the science of it and delivers an entertaining and sweet story, of what it would be like having contact with another life form outside our planet, or solar system for that matter.

If you liked this, you would enjoy Gattaca.

4. Likes Metal King Slime likes this post
    Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Libra-75
    Yeah, this movie is quite good. Jodie Foster is great in it (as she is most of the time, IMO).

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Lebowski View Post
    I love this movie! I got it two years ago on blu-ray for $10. It was very worth it. I love the opening sequence too, really special. I'm not sure about that ending, or her on the beach with aliens who can transform into memories of her dad, but I'll try go with it. Everything in the movie was great up until that part. Still, it's a very decent astronomy movie that does take itself seriously on the science of it and delivers an entertaining and sweet story, of what it would be like having contact with another life form outside our planet, or solar system for that matter.

If you liked this, you would enjoy Gattaca.
    I'll be sure to check it out. The trailer looked interesting.

Veteran
    Items Manchester United
    Defo an interesting movie..and one where jodie foster actually looks like a women, and john hurt is useful.

Stockholm Syndrome
    PSN ID
    Spikey456
    Items LuluFangLightningOlivia WildeLucy PinderMichelle MarshVita360 SlimPS3 Fat
    I remember watching this film when I was younger but I can't remember a lot of it haha, might have to watch it again!

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    Pheonix7
    I enjoyed the surrealism of the beach scene. A mixture of alien and home. And even if the father bit wasn't as the greatest execution, the idea behind it is far more unique than pretty much any other recent alien film.

On your other note Black... cannot wait to get a look at Interstellar! Probably won't get our first trailer until summer though. Not the concept trailer we got back in december.

10. Likes Metal King Slime likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by RedDragon7 View Post
    I enjoyed the surrealism of the beach scene. A mixture of alien and home. And even if the father bit wasn't as the greatest execution, the idea behind it is far more unique than pretty much any other recent alien film.

On your other note Black... cannot wait to get a look at Interstellar! Probably won't get our first trailer until summer though. Not the concept trailer we got back in december.
    It's also interesting to see Matthew McConaughey in Interstellar since Contact was his last sci-fi role. Looking forward to what the Nolan brothers have written.

12. Likes RedDragon7 likes this post

Thread Information