Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst ... 2
    Selected Members Council
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by N0REGARD4LIFE View Post
    I will say that the PS4 will be my last console if the PS5 isn't leaps and bounds more powerful. I'm still undecided on whether or not to sell my PS4 later this year and build a gaming pc. I'm tired of missing out on the full experiences the PC provides, and by that I mean stable/high framerates, uncompromised AA, and performance that just isn't found on consoles right now. Gonna wait and see what the steam machines bring and decide then. The PS4 and XBONE are truly underwhelming to me at this point.
    What's wrong with just keeping the PS4 and playing other games on your PC while waiting for upcoming exclusives like Uncharted? It's your decision but the games coming out will look and perform better over time.
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!

PSU Live Streamer
    I think it's an age thing. Everything from our youth always seems to be better.

I remember when I was younger, my mom would always complain about how much better the tv shows or music was when she was young. Now I say the same damn thing!

I remember watching g1 Transformers, GI Joe, He-Man and the original TMNT, etc. I turn on the cartoon channel these days and am utterly disgusted lol.

Rap and hip hop of the 90s always seemed better to me than it does today.

So it only stands to reason that one could apply that to video games as well.

Come find me on Twitch.tv!

Dedicated Member

When not factoring in the obvious improvements that come with experience and stronger hardware, I think gaming as a whole has gotten worse. Games have $#@!genized quite a bit, they rarely offer anything genuinely new to the gaming world. AAA has become a marketing title that is gained by throwing more money to a games development instead of a judgement as a result of a great game.

Games are shorter and many genres have become far more shallow due to fear of scaring away players who refuse to, or unable to put in any time or effort, the latter is especially true to MMOs.

I wouldn't think it's nostalgia for me since I've just finished yet another play through of Final Fantasy Tactics, and I have just reached the red dragon once again in Lunar Silver Star Story Complete.
    Last edited by VayMasters86; 04-10-2014 at 17:13.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparc View Post
    For goodness sake I hope nobody thinks to start labelling the console an Xbrick,
    oops
    -Regarding the Xbone A.K.A. the Xbrick

"Faith - that's another word for ignorance isn't it?" -House

4. Likes PS4THEWIN likes this post
    Apprentice
    Items Scarlett JohanssonGuerrilla GamesDice
    Quote Originally Posted by VayMasters86 View Post
    When not factoring in the obvious improvements that come with experience and stronger hardware, I think gaming as a whole has gotten worse. Games have $#@!genized quite a bit, they rarely offer anything genuinely new to the gaming world. AAA has become a marketing title that is gained by throwing more money to a games development instead of a judgement as a result of a great game.

Games are shorter and many genres have become far more shallow due to fear of scaring away players who refuse to, or unable to put in any time or effort, the latter is especially true to MMOs.

I wouldn't think it's nostalgia for me since I've just finished yet another play through of Final Fantasy Tactics, and I have just reached the red dragon once again in Lunar Silver Star Story Complete.
    ^This, but also add in Microtransactions. And lack of difficulty in games compared to the "Old days".

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Nostalgia; making things in the past seem better than they actually were.

As much as I love Metal Gear solid 1 on the PS1, I cannot play it any more because the controls are awful, I obviously persevered with them 16 years ago because I had to in order to play it, remember Wolf 3D and Doom and using the arrow keys to move about and turn left/right? Sounds stupid now but that is how it was back then.

7. Likes Admartian likes this post
    Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    Nostalgia; making things in the past seem better than they actually were.

As much as I love Metal Gear solid 1 on the PS1, I cannot play it any more because the controls are awful, I obviously persevered with them 16 years ago because I had to in order to play it, remember Wolf 3D and Doom and using the arrow keys to move about and turn left/right? Sounds stupid now but that is how it was back then.
    It's not always nostalgia though - just lack of adaptiveness and/or patience. Good examples - MGS3 and SotC. It usually takes me half an hour to two hours to adapt and forget. I find that graphics are easier to forgive than gameplay and mechanics though, once they're upscaled.

Wishlist: Jade Cocoon Reboot, Oni Reboot, the next JRPG, Wasteland 2 [coming soon!]
    SotC 2, Fallout 4, next Obsidian Fallout, Project Eternity, Uncharted 4, Divinity [NEW!]
    [South Park: Stick of Truth is pure gaming bliss!]

Dedicated Member
    To me they are getting worse, capitalistic greed has set into the industry, they don't offer you the full game but charge full price, then offer you the rest of it via dlc to grab more money. Many games don't go through a proper QA and are full of bugs. In the ps1 days, you had this peace of mind that you're paying money for a full game, free of bugs.
    My interest definitely has seen a decline compared to the 90s. I still haven't bought a ps4, just have the ps3 and i'm spending lot of time lately playing ps1 games on emulators (how awesome was/is rogue trip, those of you who didn't play missed out on a gem)
    Last edited by rene2kx; 04-15-2014 at 02:16.

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Varsh View Post
    The simple answer to that is gaming as a whole worldwide is becoming accepted, more and more countries are also joining in (China will be getting an XB1 soon!), sales are only going to be getting bigger after each generation.
    And what about your native country?

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Wolf View Post
    So, most gamers agree that the PS1 and PS2 era are better than the PS3 era, right? The jury is still out on the PS4, but the PS4 has started on the right foot with games like Infamous Second Son, AC4, and Call of Duty Ghosts.

However, here's the question for the people who agree games aren't as good as the PS1 and PS2 era:

If console video games are getting worse, then why is it console hardware and software are breaking records and selling more than the PS1 and PS2 era games?
    I'd only say that most complainer contend that the PS1 and PS2 gen were better than the PS3 gen. You don't see threads about how much better this gen is over previous gen's because that's expected. But if someone feels that this gen isn't as good as a previous gen in some way shape or form, they'll make a campaign out of making sure everyone believes it to be true.

Personally, I'd say overall the PS3 gen was far superior in just about every way over previous gen's.

Online Play on consoles - Came to full fruition during this PS3/360 Gen. It was sparked the previous gen, but few and far between games supported it.
    Graphics - Sorry, the best SD graphics didn't come close to touch the worst PS3/360 graphics.
    Game Length - I hear people talking about how game length decreased signifigantly, talking about 6hr run through on games that took me 18hrs and comparing them to games that last gen also took me 18hr to go through. Then there are plenty of games that you can spend for ever in in both PS3 gen and previous gens. I'll call a wash on this one.
    Story - Sorry, but the best story's so far where in the PS3 gen IMHO. You can place standouts anywhere, and while I loved FF VII which is the darling child. I replayed it, and the story was only OK. It was great for it's era, and makes people nostalgic, but games like Uncharted, Infamous, AC, The last of us, ... all had much better stores than even the darling child.

Game control - wow, talk about a revolution. PS3 games compared to PS1/PS2 games. Pick up a PS2/PS1 game and work you way through the games, the controls suck arse in comparison to PS3 games. Even games that had recognizably poor controls (AC I for example - they even pointed it out in AC II by making you play a flashback with AC I controls) were better than the best of the PS2 control games.

The game dev's realize that the market is fragmented with people wanting different things. Some want replay-ability, some want never ending gaming (MMORPG/FTP), some what the best story's, some want the most beautiful graphics, some want awesome controls, and some want it all.

Everything I've seen to date comparing cross gen games, and then new gen games tells me that it's going to be another great era in gaming. I'm sure we'll have the nay-sayers but you're going to have them anywhere. Any point they bring up, I'll have a counter point to show them that they're wrong.

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Quote Originally Posted by rene2kx View Post
    To me they are getting worse, capitalistic greed has set into the industry, they don't offer you the full game but charge full price, then offer you the rest of it via dlc to grab more money.
    Take inflation into consideration, and you're actually pay less for games today than on PS1.
    Many games don't go through a proper QA and are full of bugs. In the ps1 days, you had this peace of mind that you're paying money for a full game, free of bugs.
    I've actually experienced very few bugs on the offline portions of any game. Online games it's been a bit more hit or miss, and something that's been taken care of in a week or so. It's very difficult to simulate even w/ large beta's the networking concerns that may cause issues. They actually know it's bad business to put out buggy games because they get mega slammed today when then do.

Quote Originally Posted by VayMasters86 View Post
    I'd only say that the big titles that are major sellers have $#@!genized, and that's the market doing the $#@!genization, not the developers.

There's been plenty of expansive area's added too with games like LBP, LBP Carting, Flower, Heavy Rain, Assasin's Creed, The Last of US.

I'll have to call BS in general on this. The previous gen's didn't have any more really long and drawn out games than the PS3 gen did. I played a number of full story games that were 40hrs+, and almost all where 20hrs+. Toss in the MMO's and online games and this is the only gen I surpassed 100hrs on a single game and I did it on multiple games.

Not sure how this is supposed to imply it's not nostalgia? The primary reason we go back and replay old games is for the Nostalgia.

Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation
    Just wanted to stop in and say I'm a little surprised at the responses. I guess it is indeed a misconception that gamers like previous generations better.
    Currently Playing: Pokemon Alpha Sapphire for the Nintendo 3DS

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Effekt
    Items Metal Gear SolidTommy VercettiLegend of ZeldaBlizzardAtlus
    I love the classics but I can't agree that the new generations are completely worse. There have been some gem titles out for all platforms these past couple years, though I do agree it's kinda rare. Back in the PS1/PS2 era almost every new game quickly became a gem. I don't even blame developers, I blame gamers. If we really wanted the games that we claim to want then why aren't we buying them? Why does Call of Duty outsell a game that actually took a lot more time and effort and is more enjoyable? Everytime a really good game does come out it only gets decent/good sales but nothing crazy like CoD. I blame us.

Thread Information