Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation

Are Console Games REALLY Getting Worse?

So, most gamers agree that the PS1 and PS2 era are better than the PS3 era, right? The jury is still out on the PS4, but the PS4 has started on the right foot with games like Infamous Second Son, AC4, and Call of Duty Ghosts.

However, here's the question for the people who agree games aren't as good as the PS1 and PS2 era:

If console video games are getting worse, then why is it console hardware and software are breaking records and selling more than the PS1 and PS2 era games?
    Currently Playing: Pokemon Alpha Sapphire for the Nintendo 3DS

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I think the PS3 era was far better than the PS2 era in my opinion.

The PS1 era was a huge leap from 16bit to 32bit open world gaming.

The PS2 era was just alright for me. Only a few games really stood out, and I was less of a gamer during that time because the PS2/Gamecube, and Xbox did not impress me much.

PS3 was the start of HD gaming, and that was a huge deal to me. The new IP's were outstanding and it brought me back to hardcore gaming.

The PS4 is not even 6 months old yet.

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    djpenny1
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Wolf View Post
    So, most gamers agree that the PS1 and PS2 era are better than the PS3 era, right? The jury is still out on the PS4, but the PS4 has started on the right foot with games like Infamous Second Son, AC4, and Call of Duty Ghosts.

However, here's the question for the people who agree games aren't as good as the PS1 and PS2 era:

If console video games are getting worse, then why is it console hardware and software are breaking records and selling more than the PS1 and PS2 era games?
    you where a kid back then that's why you think games back then are "better"

Superior Member
    Our standards increase yearly as we're dazzled with graphics and responsiveness. We're a harder crowd to please now. Personally, I think games are better now with the exception of the ongoing patches to fix unfinished products.

Ghosts has serious FPS issues with zero conformation from IW with a fix and BF4 has been a train wreck since day 1. 5 years ago we would have been playing less of a game but at least it worked.
    Mouth Pounding since 95'

5. Likes The Black Wolf, JDizzleNO1 likes this post
    Finally You Are Free
    I think it's usually just nostalgia talking. I feel like gaming was a lot more enthralling and enjoyable, but that's probably just a result of me growing up.

That said, gaming has changed in a lot of ways, and I think it's much more 'money grabbing' than it once was. There's tired sequels after sequels, and everything nowadays is about console x edging console y in hardware, not new, creative, exciting games. It's kinda disgusting honestly, and probably why 90% of my gaming time is now spent on indie games and older games via emulator.

7. Likes The Black Wolf, JDizzleNO1 likes this post
    The Dawkness!
    PSN ID
    ElNaxi
    There were a few bad trends, but otherwise I enjoyed last gen a lot more than previous ones. I played a lot more games. I also immensely enjoyed the rise of indie gaming due to DD.

My name isn't a misspelled Nazi,god****.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Dude-in-the-Room
    Items Led ZeppelinDreamcastDead NationArnold SchwarzneggerUser name style
    I'm 35 so I grew up during the beginning with the Atari and Colicovision (however you spell it).

I remember the Nintendo era was great.....and then the SNES era BLEW ME AWAY. I had so much fun during that era. Then things started going downhill for me when the N64 and PS1 came out. Sure Mario 64 was great....but I think I was getting older and was interested in other things in high school.

Then the PS2 era.....hated it. I was sooo jaded. I started playing PC games and thats mostly where I've been since then.

Thing is...the PS3 era started bringing me back to the consoles. I'm not a graphics $#@!, but with me being somewhat jaded I really needed the graphics to look nice to immerse me in the game. The PS3 was well equipped for that.

I had the most fun during that last gen.

With this currect gen...I honestly think, aside from WOW which my girlfriend will make me play with her, and some other games on PC I just might become a console only gamer.

As a whole...it's just easier to deal with...and frankly the graphics have become (starting with last gen actually) good enough that just about anything that comes out will immerse me.

So....the point of all my ramblings? It just depends on who you are to say what era was better. I'm having the most fun I've ever had in gaming.

Veteran
    Items Manchester United

Because I would assume alot of the younger gen who are having their first or second consoles aren't fully aware of how games use to be..you could have it all..gameplay/graphics all for one price...now, you can have an 80% game for full price and pay for the rest. It's how it goes sadly. I personally hate how the current buisness model is..the expo nential growth of gaming over the years has also hurt it...still, I persist with gaming because I love it. Always have, always will...until financially unviable at least.

Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation
    I guess I should have posted this in the PS3 Games section, because the PS4 is too young to compare to the previous PlayStations.
    Currently Playing: Pokemon Alpha Sapphire for the Nintendo 3DS

Selected Members Council
    I think it depends on your tastes. Japanese gamers are said to gravitate more to handheld/mobile gaming nowadays and you could argue that western devs are more talented as far as console games are concerned. Gamers who have grown up enjoying games on the PS1 and PS2 (particularly their love for JRPGs or survival horror) have surely noticed the industry changing to where those genres receive less attention.

I started playing games with Super Mario World and F-Zero and what I miss the most is that we would play complete games. No season passes, day one DLC, paid demos or definitive editions. :/
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Nostalgia.

Though granted there are some games that will stand the test of time. I reckon a game of Crash Bandicoot - if you simply up-ressed/gave it a bit of a texture upgrade, and changed NOTHING ELSE about the gameplay; it would still be a super fun game even to this day. FF7 is another one.

But yeah, not many other games belong in that category.
    Be Together - Not the same.

14. Likes Malt likes this post
    Veteran
    Items LiverpoolUser name style
    No, people just complain more.

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    Abdou023
    Personally i don't like this whole "Cinematic Experience " approach neither the deceiving "Open World Games" . an open world game should just be an open map where you can walk around freely but really there is nothing you can do besides missions or side missions. Look at AC:Black Flag that's an example of a perfect open world game. There is so much you can do and there is sense of accomplishment in it, you can interact and change the world you play in. You can sail around looking for resources, or engaging in random battles to get them. you can upgrade your ship and your base"island". you can go hunt for upgrades or sell for me. you see what i'm getting at here ? You do whole bunch of stuff rather than just play missions or side missions.

Unfortunately there are lots and lots of people who overhype mediocre games or generic games just because they are exclusives or just have great visuals. people should demand more from developers because game consoles and games themselves aren't cheap we pay lots of money on them. So we can't give some developers a huge chunk of money because the make exclusives games or a game with good story but very generic and repetitive gameplay. IMO if gaming is getting worse it's because of the gamers not the companies working on them.

PSN: Abdou023
    Currently Playing: GTA 5

Veteran
    Items LiverpoolUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdou23 View Post
    Personally i don't like this whole "Cinematic Experience " approach neither the deceiving "Open World Games" . an open world game should just be an open map where you can walk around freely but really there is nothing you can do besides missions or side missions. Look at AC:Black Flag that's an example of a perfect open world game. There is so much you can do and there is sense of accomplishment in it, you can interact and change the world you play in. You can sail around looking for resources, or engaging in random battles to get them. you can upgrade your ship and your base"island". you can go hunt for upgrades or sell for me. you see what i'm getting at here ? You do whole bunch of stuff rather than just play missions or side missions.

Unfortunately there are lots and lots of people who overhype mediocre games or generic games just because they are exclusives or just have great visuals. people should demand more from developers because game consoles and games themselves aren't cheap we pay lots of money on them. So we can't give some developers a huge chunk of money because the make exclusives games or a game with good story but very generic and repetitive gameplay. IMO if gaming is getting worse it's because of the gamers not the companies working on them.
    That's completely subjective though. They're not what you like but a lot of people still love them. Some people don't like open world RPGs, you obviously do.

For me genre doesn't matter one bit. The games I love the most are, always have been, and always will be those that tell a great story. Some games do it cinematically (Uncharted), some do it very subtly and make you piece together the lore yourself (Dark Souls). But in most cases, those are the games that stand the test of time.

18. Likes Admartian likes this post
    Racing Game Fanatic!!
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Items Title StyleVitaPS3 Slim
    See for me the PS3 era was probably the best because as a fan of racing games there was just so much more detail in the game that it made it more fun for me. Don't get me wrong I did enjoy the PS1 and PS2 era but in my opinion I can't say that games are getting worse. With all this new technology and more memory etc etc racing games can surely only get better! I know genre does not matter to a lot of people but for me this is the genre I choose to play the most!
    PSN ID: Duffman19864

Twitter ID: Duffman1986

Twitch ID: http://www.twitch.tv/duffman041986/profile

My Youtube Gaming Channel - Now with commentary: Duffman Gaming

Elite Sage
    Shame all that experience in racing games and you still can't pick a good team

I think games are certainly on the up. Games always stay better in memory then they do in reality due to rose tinted glasses. Usually whenever I go back to play a 'classic' the game feels awful. Goldeneye suffers the worst.

BBK.. Tapa. Talked.

Racing Game Fanatic!!
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Items Title StyleVitaPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by BBK.. View Post
    Shame all that experience in racing games and you still can't pick a good team

BBK.. Tapa. Talked.
    For some strange reason my ribs suddenly feel sore
    PSN ID: Duffman19864

Twitter ID: Duffman1986

Twitch ID: http://www.twitch.tv/duffman041986/profile

My Youtube Gaming Channel - Now with commentary: Duffman Gaming

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk
    People talk a lot about nostalgia, but old games made use of a powerful property that's getting rarer and rarer these days. The players own imagination.

Wishlist: Jade Cocoon Reboot, Oni Reboot, the next JRPG, Wasteland 2 [coming soon!]
    SotC 2, Fallout 4, next Obsidian Fallout, Project Eternity, Uncharted 4, Divinity [NEW!]
    [South Park: Stick of Truth is pure gaming bliss!]

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    why is it console hardware and software are breaking records and selling more than the PS1 and PS2 era games?
    The simple answer to that is gaming as a whole worldwide is becoming accepted, more and more countries are also joining in (China will be getting an XB1 soon!), sales are only going to be getting bigger after each generation.

The Dawkness!
    PSN ID
    ElNaxi
    Quote Originally Posted by K2D View Post
    People talk a lot about nostalgia, but old games made use of a powerful property that's getting rarer and rarer these days. The players own imagination.
    Weaker hardware pretty much forced that. That doesn't mean games like that are gone though.

My name isn't a misspelled Nazi,god****.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Skullomainia
    Course they're not getting worse.. Go play a game like TLOU on PS3 then go back and have a bash on the original Resident Evil and see how you feel about it. I think the PS1 coming out coincided with the coming of age of a lot of people who grew up playing consoles. For me it marked the point in time when consoles moved out of the bedrooms and into the living room. No longer the toys of the past and the preserve of the kids and geek, games became a proper form of entertainment alongside TV, video and music. If you take the ps1 as adolescence, the ps2 was the grown up version. I think the first two playstations stick in the mind because of the change they represented. JMO.

Finally You Are Free
    Quote Originally Posted by Malt View Post
    Course they're not getting worse.. Go play a game like TLOU on PS3 then go back and have a bash on the original Resident Evil and see how you feel about it.
    But that's a forced comparison. You should compare games that are still highly valued. I would play an older game like Banjo Kazooie or Pokemon Yellow as easily as I would play The Last of Us.

And, actually, a couple years ago me and my cousin played through the old school Resident Evil games for our first time, and it was one of our best experiences with games. Better than nearly all the games this last generation.

Elite Member

I think it's the point in life when you start playing games that gives you a better connection to a certain console. Nothing on the ps1 stands out to me, because I grew up on the Atari and Nintendo. My favorite memories are on the Nintendo like Zelda, metroid, etc.. PS2 had good games, but PS3 was much better. I loved RFOM because it was the first multiplayer game I ever played so I have a strong connection to my ps3.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    N0REGARD4LIFE
    Items PlayStationDiceBattlefield 3
    I will say that the PS4 will be my last console if the PS5 isn't leaps and bounds more powerful. I'm still undecided on whether or not to sell my PS4 later this year and build a gaming pc. I'm tired of missing out on the full experiences the PC provides, and by that I mean stable/high framerates, uncompromised AA, and performance that just isn't found on consoles right now. Gonna wait and see what the steam machines bring and decide then. The PS4 and XBONE are truly underwhelming to me at this point.

Master Sage
    but the PS4 has started on the right foot with games like Infamous Second Son, AC4, and Call of Duty Ghosts.

30. Likes Shibby likes this post

Thread Information