Latest PSU headlines:

Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation

Does a 3D HD TV look better than a regular HD TV?

I will be buying another tv, a bigger tv and I am considering buying a 3D TV because the PS4 is 3D compatible and because a lot of movies use 3D.

1. Does a video game or movie look better in 3D HD than just regular HD?

2. What kind of 3D tv do I need? I don't want the one in which you need glasses, I want one in which I just hook it up to something and the video will be in 3D.

I know very little about tvs or 3D.

Thank you!

Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

Veteran
    A little place called none of your **** business. United States.
    Items 360 SlimPS3 SlimNaughty Dog
    I've had a 3d tv for a couple years now. 3D has nothing to do with image quality. It's an effect that you either like or you don't. I do like to use the 3D feature when games and movies have it, but some people don't. In my opinion 3D games just look cool when they are popping out you, especially Killzone 3. But again, it's entirely up to your preference. I consider 3D an add on that adds nothing to the image quality.

If you didn't want a 3D tv you would probably save that extra $100-$200 you were going to spend on that 3d tv and spend it on a higher resolution, higher refresh rate(240hz), tv that is the same screen size at the same price. It depends on what you want. An overall better picture when watching tv, movies, or games OR do you prefer an additional 3D feature that slightly lowers the quality of the prior features.

You can have the best of both worlds if you're willing to pay for it. But if not and you want overall better picture quality, I'd go for a high def LED tv with high refresh rate.

And to answer your second question, most 3d tv's have to have glasses. I recommend passive 3D instead of active. Active 3D isn't as good and the glasses require batteries. Passive just requires a set of regular 3D glasses. As far as 3D without glasses...it is still in prototype form and not on the market. I'm sure when it hits it is going to be crazy expensive right off the bat. Similar to Ultra HD/4k tv's right now. It's a ways off I think.

Being that you hate 3D glasses, I'll assume you'll just want a high quality HD tv. My suggestion is this:

1080p HD
    LED(provides way more vibrant colors than LCD)
    240hz refresh rate.(provides smoother movement on screen and sharper images in high motion)
    Last edited by unicron7; 04-08-2014 at 20:30.

I don't really need a water cooler/remote control as of right now.

3. Likes The Black Wolf likes this post
    Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Look for contrast ratio, and Hz.

Ideally, I like to stay above 7,000,000:1 contrast ratio. And 120Hz min.

For instance, Walmart might have the same TV you think you see at Best Buy. The Best Buy version has a 10,000,000:1 Dynamic Contrast Ratio, where the Walmart version has only a 6,000,000:1 ratio.

There are reasons why TV's are cheaper at Walmart vs Best Buy. So make sure you are buying what you really want.

I personally can not use 3D TV's that use battery powered glasses. The shutter glasses just give me a headache. So now that limited my options to Vizio and LG. These brands use the same 3D technology in movie theaters. So you can use the same glasses at home. I bought my 65" Vizio 240Hz 3D TV at Best Buy. Best looking TV I have had so far. And I have had Sony, Samsung, LG, and Philips.
    Last edited by Lethal; 04-09-2014 at 01:30.

5. Likes The Black Wolf likes this post
    Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation
    Hi unicron7! I know I don't talk to you a lot, but long time no see! I miss you and your points you make in gaming threads!

Thank you uni and Lethal! I will just be getting a HD TV, will make sure to get LED. I'll probably be sticking with Phillips and get around a 30 inch because my tv stand is not that big.

Thank you!

Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Items VitaiPhone BlackGran Turismo 5PS3 FatTommy Vercetti3DS
    If you are comparing a 3D model with the same 2D model from the same manufacturer, the 3D will most likely be more expensive and might include better parts that will improve picture quality in 2D. So it's very possible a 3DTV looks better that its 2D counterpart but it's not the "3D" that makes the 2D picture better but the beefier components needed to handle the 3D. As others said 3D is an effect. Some like it, some don't and some don't give a crap.

You should go to the shops, test 3D and see if it's something for you. High end LED TVs and Plasmas will be 3D anyway. If you are on a budget and want the best your money can buy, follow a couple standard steps. First decide the budget, then decide the use (movies, games, sport) and then hit the reviews online from reputable sources or just ask here. You want the best picture quality your money can buy for the use you are interested in, and it doesn't matter if it's LED, LCD, Plasma, 3D or smart.
    Last edited by MjW; 04-09-2014 at 12:09.
    ~Corporate Media Propaganda - Welcome to your Daily Matrix~

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal View Post
    Look for contrast ratio, and Hz.

Ideally, I like to stay above 7,000,000:1 contrast ratio. And 120Hz min.

For instance, Walmart might have the same TV you think you see at Best Buy. The Best Buy version has a 10,000,000:1 Dynamic Contrast Ratio, where the Walmart version has only a 6,000,000:1 ratio.
    Contrast ratios are completely made up nowadays, what you want to look for is the cd/m2.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk
    Heh.. I usually research 4 months prior before buying anything tv, monitors, or soundsystem related. The 'best value' TV I could find in 2013 was a Panasonic Plasma that's out of production now. It had 'low enough' latency and a spectacular contrast and color palette.

Wishlist: Jade Cocoon Reboot, Oni Reboot, the next JRPG, Wasteland 2 [coming soon!]
    SotC 2, Fallout 4, next Obsidian Fallout, Project Eternity, Uncharted 4, Divinity [NEW!]
    [South Park: Stick of Truth is pure gaming bliss!]

10. Likes MjW likes this post
    Forum Guru
    Dbl
    Last edited by R_Mac_1; 04-09-2014 at 13:18.

Forum Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by unicron7 View Post
    LED(provides way more vibrant colors than LCD)
    LED TVs are LCD. A new light source and marketing is the only difference.

Although most are better generally because LED TVs are newer/higher quality models.

Sent from my LG G2 using Tapatalk

Sent from my LG G2 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by R_Mac_1; 04-09-2014 at 13:20.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Quote Originally Posted by Varsh View Post
    Contrast ratios are completely made up nowadays, what you want to look for is the cd/m2.
    lol I will stick to my personal experiences. I will always take the contrast ratio in to consideration.

Forum Sage

lol I will stick to my personal experiences. I will always take the contrast ratio in to consideration.
    Contrast ratio is important and all but you have to take into account that most TV manufacturers today like to spew out big numbers, followed by "Dynamic Contrast Ratio". It's PR speak for, "take said number and knock two zeroes from the end to get your true contrast ratio". That TV suddenly becomes far less appealing.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Quote Originally Posted by Morganator View Post
    Contrast ratio is important and all but you have to take into account that most TV manufacturers today like to spew out big numbers, followed by "Dynamic Contrast Ratio". It's PR speak for, "take said number and knock two zeroes from the end to get your true contrast ratio". That TV suddenly becomes far less appealing.
    Knock off zeros and you still have one with a higher ratio. It is something that has always worked for me. There are reasons why the Walmart TVs do not look as good as the Best Buy models. And yes it is more than just contrast ratio.

I have noticed with the TV that have a lower contrast ratio, they have lighter blacks. That drives me nuts. The higher the ratio, the better the image looks.
    Last edited by Lethal; 04-09-2014 at 14:16.

Forum Sage

Knock off zeros and you still have one with a higher ratio. It is something that has always worked for me. There are reasons why the Walmart TVs do not look as good as the Best Buy models. And yes it is more than just contrast ratio.

I have noticed with the TV that have a lower contrast ratio, they have lighter blacks. That drives me nuts. The higher the ratio, the better the image looks.
    Oh yeah. I fully agree. I just don't like delving into "Dynamic Contrast Ratios" and prefer a concrete number. Still, a TV with 10,000,000:1 Dynamic Contrast Ratio has around a 100,000:1 static contrast ratio number. That's still an excellent contrast ratio no matter how you look at it.

Ultimate Veteran
    Yes they use to not any more

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk
    Imo, stereoscopic 3d doesn't work in 98 of a 100 cases. I have yet to try it with something built from the ground up for 3d, but at that point it's not worth the bother.

I'm selling two pairs of Panasonic active 3d glasses...

Wishlist: Jade Cocoon Reboot, Oni Reboot, the next JRPG, Wasteland 2 [coming soon!]
    SotC 2, Fallout 4, next Obsidian Fallout, Project Eternity, Uncharted 4, Divinity [NEW!]
    [South Park: Stick of Truth is pure gaming bliss!]

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Quote Originally Posted by K2D View Post
    Imo, stereoscopic 3d doesn't work in 98 of a 100 cases. I have yet to try it with something built from the ground up for 3d, but at that point it's not worth the bother.

I'm selling two pairs of Panasonic active 3d glasses...
    The 3D on my Vizio is fantastic. It uses passive 3D technology which is soooooo much better. Same 3D you get from the theaters.

Only downside is that you are limited to Vizio and LG if you want this type of 3D technology.

Thread Information