Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

InFamous: Second Son sold 1 million copies in nine days

In a press release, SCE Australia said global sales of InFamous: Second Son exceeded 1 million units within nine days of its March 21 western launch.

That makes it the fastest-selling InFamous title, outdoing both earlier releases on PS3.
    http://www.vg247.com/2014/04/10/infa...-in-nine-days/

Destiny and Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor is all I need for the rest of the year.

2. Likes mistercrow, victorijapoosp likes this post
    Forum Overseer
    that's pretty good. i mean, it's no COD sales but for a niche title, that's actually very good.

Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    As long as it outperforms the previous titles then I'm happy. We'll get more from the series at some point.

Destiny and Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor is all I need for the rest of the year.

Master Sage
    Good sales, I just platinum-ed it the other day.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Dat attach rate.

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    JDizzleNO1
    Items Diablo IIIMetallicaUser name styleDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverPS3 Fat
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    that's pretty good. i mean, it's no COD sales but for a niche title, that's actually very good.
    and that is the problem, because COD sells gazillions of units, every company in the past has tried to copy that formula. im glad sucker punch stuck to their guns and didn't change the formula to create more sales (*cough* RE6 *cough*)

this isn't against you sufi, but since when did games not sell like COD and it be considered "not enough" you know?

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by JDizzleNO1 View Post
    and that is the problem, because COD sells gazillions of units, every company in the past has tried to copy that formula. im glad sucker punch stuck to their guns and didn't change the formula to create more sales (*cough* RE6 *cough*)

this isn't against you sufi, but since when did games not sell like COD and it be considered "not enough" you know?
    absolutely. that's what i say too. developers need to take some things from what is trending but not everything...

this game is a great example of how they could've easily copied GTA 5 but they didn't...i mean, it wouldn't have hurt lol but you know, they're happy with the sales they have.

GTA 5 has a large budget and the expectations are large too. and who knows if the devs really get to keep the profits they get or not. either way, i completely agree with you and i didn't mean to imply that it's not COD-good even though i felt that it may end up implying that.

what i meant to say was that it's really good for a game that's supposed to be B-rated (last gen it was)...i feel like they're definitely close to A or AA this time but not quite AAA and considering the kind of sales B+ - A- games get, this is pretty good.

i can't think of games like LBP or Resistance...that i'd put in the same category...you know, not AAA, more like somewhere between B and AA...games like that ever getting these kind of sales.

so i'm thinking this is likely due to the growth in demand that we've already seen in hardware. seeing how many challenges X1 had to face and still was able to do better than 360 and probably PS3 too. we might see this pattern with all the games. we might start seeing indie games selling 1m-2m whereas these sort of games that used to sell 1m-2m selling more like 2m-4m.

and the AAA selling 4m-8m. rough estimates.

9. Likes JDizzleNO1 likes this post
    Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Libra-75
    I think it's a really good number. Considering this is a PS4 exclusive title and not a multi-plat game (like COD), it's really good.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    So based on the numbers 1:7 owners of a PS4 bought it. I know that's not an exact science but still pretty impressive.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    JDizzleNO1
    Items Diablo IIIMetallicaUser name styleDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverPS3 Fat
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    absolutely. that's what i say too. developers need to take some things from what is trending but not everything...

this game is a great example of how they could've easily copied GTA 5 but they didn't...i mean, it wouldn't have hurt lol but you know, they're happy with the sales they have.

GTA 5 has a large budget and the expectations are large too. and who knows if the devs really get to keep the profits they get or not. either way, i completely agree with you and i didn't mean to imply that it's not COD-good even though i felt that it may end up implying that.

what i meant to say was that it's really good for a game that's supposed to be B-rated (last gen it was)...i feel like they're definitely close to A or AA this time but not quite AAA and considering the kind of sales B+ - A- games get, this is pretty good.

i can't think of games like LBP or Resistance...that i'd put in the same category...you know, not AAA, more like somewhere between B and AA...games like that ever getting these kind of sales.

so i'm thinking this is likely due to the growth in demand that we've already seen in hardware. seeing how many challenges X1 had to face and still was able to do better than 360 and probably PS3 too. we might see this pattern with all the games. we might start seeing indie games selling 1m-2m whereas these sort of games that used to sell 1m-2m selling more like 2m-4m.

and the AAA selling 4m-8m. rough estimates.
    i agree with everything you're saying, and i didn't imply that you meant that, but assholes out there think 1 million sales is horrible, when if you do the math, 1 million in sales equals about 60 million dollars funneled back to them (i think, i don't know the logistics).

Administrator
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    i agree with everything you're saying, and i didn't imply that you meant that, but assholes out there think 1 million sales is horrible, when if you do the math, 1 million in sales equals about 60 million dollars funneled back to them (i think, i don't know the logistics).
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

14. Likes JDizzleNO1 likes this post
    Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by PBM View Post
    Marketing - so that can vary on who's doing that? (e..g either third party or run by the publishers themselves)

Retailer seems like the likeliest to get the cut if things get tighter. No wonder companies are looking towards DD more.

More of that can go towards devs/publishers (or the same if they're first party).

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Admartian View Post
    Marketing - so that can vary on who's doing that? (e..g either third party or run by the publishers themselves)

Retailer seems like the likeliest to get the cut if things get tighter. No wonder companies are looking towards DD more.

More of that can go towards devs/publishers (or the same if they're first party).
    Yeah, digital is a LOT cheaper to distribute. <_<
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by PBM View Post
    That picture will be different since Infamous is a first party title.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Kauldron View Post
    That picture will be different since Infamous is a first party title.
    Yep. It's certainly not an all-encompassing chart, but it does give an idea just how widely distributed that $60 is.

PSN ID
    BMK2K7
    If they gave us back some of that 20% that the retailers take by taking it off the digital download people would be more inclined to use it. Theres no reason Digtial should cost the same or even more than retail.

Master Guru
    Items FuturamaGoogle ChromeAmerican DadHalf-Life 2Battlefield 3User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by BMK2K7 View Post
    If they gave us back some of that 20% that the retailers take by taking it off the digital download people would be more inclined to use it. Theres no reason Digtial should cost the same or even more than retail.
    Definitely, I think steam has shown DD will get people buying in very high numbers assuming the price is right. As it stands, there isn't really that much incentive (personally) to buy digital over retail.

Don't Steal. Don't Molest Little Children. Don't Deal Drugs.

Master Poster

Nah the last thing Sony, MS etc. wants to do is to outcompete the retailers, which is the place they get most of their money.

PSN ID
    BMK2K7
    Quote Originally Posted by Redman_DK View Post
    Nah the last thing Sony, MS etc. wants to do is to outcompete the retailers, which is the place they get most of their money.
    Times ticking on that they need to start cutting us some discounts, better for everyone. Retailers will have to lump it like devs and publishers with used games. Dont think it would matter to much if games were $6 or so cheaper for DD, people still love owning a physical copy.

Forum Overseer
    in addition to that, it's 1m within a couple of weeks. that is a huge difference in how games generally sell (take out COD/BF as outliers). so it's likely not going to stop at 1m. though i don't think it will have long legs like Uncharted either/TLOU/GT either.

i think it will get to a certain point and then slow down exponentially. reason being, it's still a niche title and it seems that they released it at the right time when people don't have other games to play. so they will buy the game asap, not wait...however, the game still hasn't got a bigger user base (though i'm sure it probably made some people try the series, looking at the graphics alone).

my guess is it's going to top off somewhere around 3m-4m...4m being really really good. more like 3m+

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Times ticking on that they need to start cutting us some discounts, better for everyone. Retailers will have to lump it like devs and publishers with used games. Dont think it would matter to much if games were $6 or so cheaper for DD, people still love owning a physical copy.
    Yes they need to implement some better sales. They have them from time to time but they are few and far between. Good sales not those $5 off a $60 title.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

25. Likes BMK2K7 likes this post
    Forum Overseer
    for me to jump into DD, i don't ever buy games unless the games are

1) heavily discounted (i'm talking about less than $20)
    2) there's no way for me to get a disc version (i.e. BF4 premium)

i do find DD better than disc otherwise. primarily because now that my son likes to play, it's much more convenient to just play a bunch of different games. this is one thing that i absolutely LOVE about PS+ because it's really my only outlet to DD right now. also i have a lot of HDD space on my PS3 (750GB) so I don't care about MB usage.

i might be buying some indie games though...as they're generally good value and cheap.

PSN ID
    BMK2K7
    On PS4 DD has a big advantage imo in that you have to install the full game of the disc so downloading the game takes up just as much space on the HDD. Which is nice when you have 3 or 4+ games on the HDD and a disc in the system you have a lot of games you can play and switch between quickly. Thats why I like DD il go that way 9/10 when I buy a game, but I rent 95% of my games saves me so much money over the years.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    SkarEffect
    Infamous second son was a great game, but it was too short.

Forum Overseer
    On PS4 DD has a big advantage imo in that you have to install the full game of the disc so downloading the game takes up just as much space on the HDD. Which is nice when you have 3 or 4+ games on the HDD and a disc in the system you have a lot of games you can play and switch between quickly. Thats why I like DD il go that way 9/10 when I buy a game, but I rent 95% of my games saves me so much money over the years.
    not sure how installing the entire disc is a positive against DD...other than that you can sell it but yes with renting it, i can see the advantage.

did not know installing the entire disc was mandatory.

Thread Information