Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation

High School Teen Stabs Over 20 People, May Have Been Bullied

http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/10/justic...t=hp_inthenews

A day after a Murrysville, Pennsylvania, teen allegedly rampaged through his high school's hallways, stabbing wildly with two kitchen knives, the first hints of a possible motive began to emerge.

The attorney for 16-year-old Alex Hribal raised the specter that his client may have been bullied, telling CNN affiliate WTAE in Pittsburgh on Thursday that it looks like some kind of "bullying event" may have played a role." I think a lot of things have happened. I don't want to comment specifically, but I think there are some things that occurred that led to where we are today," Patrick Thomassey said.

Hribal, a sophomore, was charged as an adult and faces four counts of attempted homicide and 21 counts of aggravated assault in connection with Wednesday's attack at Franklin Regional Senior High School that left 20 teens and one adult wounded.
    What are High Schools in the U.S. supposed to do to stop this kind of stuff from happening? They don't have security like college campuses and of course you can't bring a gun.

Also, there's a report there must have been a lot of anger in this kid to stab instead of shoot.
    Last edited by The Black Wolf; 04-11-2014 at 01:20.

Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Didn't it happen 2 days ago? The thing is, buddy is running around with 2 kitchen knives and no one has the presence of mind to whack him with a chair or something? He had to stab 20 people before he was tackled? I'm dissapointed

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

3. Likes Two4DaMoney , $Greatness$ likes this post
    Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    GreatnessRD
    Items User name style
    You can't stop it. Society has lost control and the Teachers and figures themselves have no clue how to handle these things. I'm not buying this bully stuff these days either. Yes, some children are bullied, but what happened to the parents from my day "He hit you. HIT THEY ASS BACK" Them days gone or nah?

Sad situation. I can't really speak on it. Different era than mine. You had kids doing wild $#@! when I was in high school (Class '05) But these kids now just be trippin'. I guess since it never has happened to me, I'll never understand the bullying thing. To an extent, yes, but the extremes we see now. That's crazy.

$Greatness$ Awaits™

5. Likes Two4DaMoney likes this post
    Stockholm Syndrome
    PSN ID
    Spikey456
    Items LuluFangLightningOlivia WildeLucy PinderMichelle MarshVita360 SlimPS3 Fat
    You cant blame that $#@! on bullying, kid has got $#@!ing issues. I was bullied at school and i just ended up getting into fights all the time, didn't $#@!ing stab anyone

Sent from my RM-937_eu_euro1_231 using Tapatalk

7. Likes $Greatness$ likes this post
    Friendship is Carrots
    I don't know if this kid did what he did because of bullying, fully or partially, nor what exactly his motive here was (revenge? to make a name for himself?). Maybe he genuinely had a crisis from all the stress and snapped. Maybe not, and his goal was more more conscious. I don't know. But to say bullying can't cause this behavior is ignoring the effects that harassment and pain can do to someone.

I'm an asocial person, and all my years in public school firmly placed me as the weird, unpopular kid who just never got along with the other children. Saying any of the kids I hung out with more than others were my friends would be very generous. Come the teen years when everyone is hormonal (note: an asshole $#@!head), it really just exacerbated the issues I faced when interacting with others. Bullying, both physical and verbal, were very common for me. Usually it never bothered me too much, but there were points where people were being so stupid, so cruel, so pathetically immature and irresponsible that it left my blood boiling. The teachers and school staff never took it seriously, and me fighting back would just get me in trouble too. It felt like there was nothing I could do. I dreaded going to school because I knew it was just more bull$#@! waiting for me.

Eventually the answer became obvious, as dramatic as it seems. I just kill them. I don't mean that in a, "Oh, I'm so angry I could just kill someone!" type of flash anger where you don't really mean what you say. I'm talking honest consideration of murder. It would've been easy to do. I existed in a situation where this was my only available solution, and every day of additional bullying made the idea seem more and more appealing. I knew there would be dire consequences of such actions, but I was young and stupid, and didn't care. What mattered to me was teaching those bullies a lesson and relieving myself of the stress and pain.

Thankfully I never did that (though I did break one kid's arm later on). My mother, after seeing how dead inside I was becoming from school, decided to pull me from public education and have me home schooled. Life became so much easier after that point, though even to this day the experience has left me a bit $#@!ed up in the head.

Sorry for the long post. I just wanted to clarify that bullying can push people to the edge. Don't underestimate how much it can affect someone. That is how you get situations where a teenager walks into school with a gun and shoots down a hallway of kids. It's because society has beaten them down so much that they just don't care anymore. Passing it off as, "Pfft, bullying? Nah, they're just messed up in the head," is dangerously overlooking the issue.
    Last edited by Nerevar; 04-12-2014 at 03:16.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

9. Likes Naxi, The Black Wolf likes this post
    Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by $Greatness$ View Post
    You can't stop it. Society has lost control and the Teachers and figures themselves have no clue how to handle these things. I'm not buying this bully stuff these days either. Yes, some children are bullied, but what happened to the parents from my day "He hit you. HIT THEY ASS BACK" Them days gone or nah?
    You hit the bully back, YOU go to jail. High Schools call the police instead paddling these days. You can't physically fight back anymore.

Yes, those days are gone, long gone.

How can you not blame bullying? If something is able to make a person commit suicide, then what makes you think it can't make them kill others?

Apprentice
    I figured.. what goes around comes around. it's sad but ain't nobody can do anything about it.
    I love my headphones..

Veteran
    OMG, we need to do something about this right away. We need Knife restrictions ASAP. Think of the kids..... -_-

Sent from my One using Tapatalk
    Last edited by faaeng; 04-12-2014 at 02:05.
    PCs are very much like Air Conditioners.
    They both become utterly useless once you start to open up Windows....
    ----------------------------------------------

Master Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Wolf View Post
    You hit the bully back, YOU go to jail. High Schools call the police instead paddling these days. You can't physically fight back anymore.

Yes, those days are gone, long gone.

How can you not blame bullying? If something is able to make a person commit suicide, then what makes you think it can't make them kill others?
    I really don't follow your logic. So they're supposed to just take a beaten and be afraid of going to jail for self defense? At the same time, when they snap, they're going to end up doing some hard prison time(if they don't kill themselves).

Guess what happens when they are in prison...They have no choice but to fight because they are going to be bullied. And when they don't fight back, they'll end up doing other things just to stay alive. They're going to be wishing they fought that bully in school instead of stabbing and shooting people.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Quote Originally Posted by faaeng View Post
    OMG, we need to do something about this right away. We need Knife restrictions ASAP. Think of the kids..... -_-

What will you use to keep your fork company.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    What will you use to keep your fork company.
    A spoon

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Two4DaMoney View Post
    I really don't follow your logic. So they're supposed to just take a beaten and be afraid of going to jail for self defense? At the same time, when they snap, they're going to end up doing some hard prison time(if they don't kill themselves).

Guess what happens when they are in prison...They have no choice but to fight because they are going to be bullied. And when they don't fight back, they'll end up doing other things just to stay alive. They're going to be wishing they fought that bully in school instead of stabbing and shooting people.
    Actually, I was just stating what happens. I'm not in favor of it. I'm in favor of breaking someone's teeth when someone messes with you. I got in a lot of fights growing up, with guys, not girls, but guys.

Here's the thing, you may not follow it, but it's the truth. You keep fighting, the authorities are coming after YOU. YOU get thrown out of school while the bullies keep going to school and get that high school diploma or degree.

No, you're not supposed to sit there and take it. These days you have to either ignore it or fight fire with fire. When someone posts a rumor of you on facebook, you take a picture of something embarassing and post it everywhere.

17. Likes Two4DaMoney likes this post
    Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Wolf View Post
    Actually, I was just stating what happens. I'm not in favor of it. I'm in favor of breaking someone's teeth when someone messes with you. I got in a lot of fights growing up, with guys, not girls, but guys.

Here's the thing, you may not follow it, but it's the truth. You keep fighting, the authorities are coming after YOU. YOU get thrown out of school while the bullies keep going to school and get that high school diploma or degree.

No, you're not supposed to sit there and take it. These days you have to either ignore it or fight fire with fire. When someone posts a rumor of you on facebook, you take a picture of something embarassing and post it everywhere.
    Sad, yet true.

Master Sage
    Items User name style
    Shock Collars for bullies needs to be a thing.

20. Likes The Black Wolf likes this post
    PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    Items User name style
    Black wolf is definitely right, they can't fight back anymore because the school will call the cops but then not do anything about the bullies! It's really sad but this sort of things didn't happen when I was in high school (class of 06). People actually fought to settle there differences rather than going home and returning with a gun...or in this case a knife.

Lol back then the group I hung with, even if someone had a weapon, they will hand it over before getting into any altercation. Nowadays, this kids don't give a $#@! what the consequences are.

I'm a soon to be father, and I will protect my family to the best of my abilities and I'll try to raise my son with the same morals I was brought up with...it's not like it used to be back then but I'll try my best to filter all the bull$#@! out

22. Likes The Black Wolf likes this post
    Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungMullah88 View Post
    Black wolf is definitely right, they can't fight back anymore because the school will call the cops but then not do anything about the bullies! It's really sad but this sort of things didn't happen when I was in high school (class of 06). People actually fought to settle there differences rather than going home and returning with a gun...or in this case a knife.

Lol back then the group I hung with, even if someone had a weapon, they will hand it over before getting into any altercation. Nowadays, this kids don't give a $#@! what the consequences are.

I'm a soon to be father, and I will protect my family to the best of my abilities and I'll try to raise my son with the same morals I was brought up with...it's not like it used to be back then but I'll try my best to filter all the bull$#@! out

You said it!

I'm actually a fan of "paddling" instead of suspensions and calling the police so much. If a kid gets a paddling, he or she is allowed to go back into the classroom and get his or her lesson. If you call the police or suspend him or her, he or she misses valuable time in school.

Schools need to bring paddling back. Authorities need to allow parents to "beat" their kids.

Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungMullah88 View Post
    I graduated way before that and kids do drive-by and stabbing all the time back then. Either people where too young to remember or the news coverage where local only, oppose to today Global News coverage. Just like how most people think 9/11 was the first time the World Trade Center got attacked.

Like they say "The more things change, the more it stay the same."

25. Likes $Greatness$ likes this post
    Veteran
    One thing I never understood ever since I used to be in trouble.. Er... I mean highschool.

A kid gets into trouble and they suspend him... So your telling me... The punishment for getting into trouble in school is I get to stay home? I never got how that was a "punishment". I bring this up cause my nephew just got into trouble at school and was REWARDED with a 3 day suspension. O_o

Last edited by faaeng; 04-13-2014 at 01:39.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    One thing I never understood ever since I used to be in trouble.. Er... I mean highschool.

A kid gets into trouble and they suspend him... So your telling me... The punishment for getting into trouble in school is I get to stay home? I never got how that was a "punishment". I bring this up cause my nephew just got into trouble at school and was REWARDED with a 3 day suspension. O_o

It is not the schools job to punish unruly children, that is the parents job.
    Last edited by keefy; 04-13-2014 at 02:18.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    Items User name style

So then it's up to the parents to punish the kid. Lol but today parents can't even do that because they'll have child services on there ass! Like the one on world star hiphop that got arrested because the grandma was flogging the 11 yr old with a belt for acting like a gangster in school...the only thing they did wrong was putting it online but the punishment was fitting, get rid of that mentally now rather than letting it manifest as the kid grows

Man back in Nigeria when I attended middle school (boarding school) before coming down to the usa, it was brutal lol. Kneeling in the sun as punishment, standing on one leg and getting flogged on the other leg. Carrying a bucket of water on your head while standing on one leg and if the wo bucket fell, you got some good ol lashing!...the kicker, it was your senior mates administering these punishments because they also went through it when they were juniors! Good times

Last edited by YoungMullah88; 04-13-2014 at 02:23.

Veteran
    Not only that. How do u punish your kid when you are at work n he/she is home because they're suspended
    ? Lol

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    Items User name style
    Take them to work with you, give them home work thats impossible to finish, to do until you get back and if they don't do it, that's when they get a lashing

Back then, if one person got in trouble, we all got in trouble lol.

Veteran
    Some jobs dont allow it. I just always seen out of school suspension as a stupid "punishment"

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    Items User name style
    Some jobs dont allow it. I just always seen out of school suspension as a stupid "punishment"

It really is. it used to be the fear of being whooped would keep us from misbehaving and staying in school. Now since parents can't do that, the kids are now taking advantage and not giving a $#@! what the consequences are

Veteran
    I still remember when i was younger my sister got in big trouble n moms beat her hide. My sister threatened to call child services and my mom laughed. "Go ahead." Handed her the phone. " I wouldn't mind an exercise room"

Sister started balling n ran upstairs. XD
    Last edited by faaeng; 04-13-2014 at 03:24.

34. Likes $Greatness$ likes this post

Thread Information