PSU Live Streamer

Star Citizen gets its first actual game play footage

Come find me on Twitch.tv!

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    kipkebab92
    Am waiting for it!
    Pre-ordered the game recently, looks amazing so far!
    Not much possible though but hopefully when this comes out we can fly our asses off..

Friendship is Carrots
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    The graphics in this game are gorgeous. Seriously, this is some next-gen stuff going on, and it's made by a goddamn indie developer! Big studios make me laugh.

This gameplay demonstration was awful though. None of it looked exciting or fun, and the physical interactions of the ship hitting the asteroid was clumsy and silly. Hopefully it's just the game being super early in development, but so far I'm very unimpressed. Space Engineers looks like a better game, and that's also in early alpha.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    I didn't think it was going to be this kind of game. This is quite similar to EVE Valkyrie. I wonder if this is also a VR game?

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    This game is going to be a cross between EVE Online, Freelancer and Elite. So far from what I have seen it's 500 well spent! The game is already working with Oculus Rift as demonstrated in Wingman's Hanger episode 64. I simply cannot wait for the Dog Fighting Module to come out at the end of this month or sometime in May. I need to break out my Joystick for the first time in 10 years just to play it!

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    Have to double post for this... Star Citizen confirmed for Linux!!! Check around the 21 minute mark after the Nviida guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    The graphics in this game are gorgeous. Seriously, this is some next-gen stuff going on, and it's made by a goddamn indie developer! Big studios make me laugh.

This gameplay demonstration was awful though. None of it looked exciting or fun, and the physical interactions of the ship hitting the asteroid was clumsy and silly. Hopefully it's just the game being super early in development, but so far I'm very unimpressed. Space Engineers looks like a better game, and that's also in early alpha.
    It's not really indie they have multiple studos they built that are working on the game and they are outsourcing some of the modeling and textures to the sorts of companies usually making models for hollywood movie CGI which is why some of the games assets are insane.

Even the guy working on the UI for the ships is the guy who did the UI for one of the iron man films iron man 2 or 3 or maybe both I forget.

Heres the UK dev they opened

There's desks for at least 20-30 people there
    and they have another dev studio in austin that has at least 26 people working on the game

They also have an office in LA for marketing , promotion etc
    Last edited by arknor; 04-30-2014 at 12:16.

Forum Guru
    Nice 43 million passed, cannot wait for the dogfight module.
    'no, no one in their sane mind uses OpenGL on PS3' - Repi
    'nope, PS3 uses a wonderful low-level API called libgcm' - Repi

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by arknor View Post
    It's not really indie they have multiple studos they built that are working on the game and they are outsourcing some of the modeling and textures to the sorts of companies usually making models for hollywood movie CGI which is why some of the games assets are insane.

Even the guy working on the UI for the ships is the guy who did the UI for one of the iron man films iron man 2 or 3 or maybe both I forget.

Heres the UK dev they opened

There's desks for at least 20-30 people there
    and they have another dev studio in austin that has at least 26 people working on the game

They also have an office in LA for marketing , promotion etc
    I need to correct this actually. All of the games graphics is done in house, the only things outsourced as part of the game so far is the web application for setting up your guild and similar things like that. The person that worked on the UI in-game (and the original web site) was a new kid fresh out of university. The Austin Studio was the original studio with the main staff that are working solely on the multiplayer, the core game modules, the graphics and the effects. Squadron 42 (the single player campaign) is being worked on CIG's Manchester Studio (same company) ran by his brother (the person standing next to him), they're working on level design, campaigns and various other things. Like you said though the LA studio is for marketing and such.

There have been people hired obviously from the film industry to get animation and graphics up to par for sure, Forest I think worked on Iron Man if I'm not mistaken and he's head of Art at CIG.

Quote Originally Posted by Varsh View Post
    The person that worked on the UI in-game (and the original web site) was a new kid fresh out of university.
    from 30 seconds he clearly says he worked on iron man 3

John Likens, fresh off his design of “Iron Man 3” HUDs, walks us through his design process for the Star Citizen ship HUDs. UI designer, Zane Bien, and UI programmer, Brandon Evans discuss their contributions.
    I know they outsourced some of the model work because he said it in an interview but I'm to lazy to google for it

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    No no no that's not the guy, I'm talking about the one who did the original design that he's working with to fit into the game. I've forgotten the kid's name now. I must admit though what this guy has done for the entire internal HUD in each ship is absolutely stunning! I would love to have his talent.

Edit: HAHA watched the video and it's Zane Bien that is the kid straight out of University. Check it at 3:48. Seems like this new guys is the lead UI designer now, I'm not surprised.

This game is going to blow everyone's mind.

Forum Sage
    So glad I put about $100 into the game. Gonna be awesome .

Thanks VENGEFUL_BLUR for the avatar and spyrde for the sig!

Cogito ergo sum. - "I think, therefore I am."

Friendship is Carrots
    I don't know why, but I'm really just not that impressed with this game so far. And I love space games.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

Forum Sage
    Growing up on Wing Commander has definitely helped my love for the game .

Thanks VENGEFUL_BLUR for the avatar and spyrde for the sig!

Cogito ergo sum. - "I think, therefore I am."

Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    I don't know why, but I'm really just not that impressed with this game so far. And I love space games.
    Well there's not really much to get excited about really so far.

I think I have the 300i package but I don't follow the game very closely just because theres just so little for them to show off at the moment.

pictures of pretty models don't impress me much, It's like Project C.A.R.S the graphics seemed amazingly next gen back in 2012 when the game first was playable to the public who wanted to invest in a toolpack.

but 2 years later are they so impressive? not really and I suspect star citizen will be the same sure it looks next gen now especially to you console folk.

but within a year there will be plenty of other games bushing the boundaries

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    So what ships does everyone have with LTI? I think I may have gone a bit nuts but not quite as crazy as my Idris-P guildy!
    • Aegis Dynamics Avenger
    • Anvil Gladiator Bomber
    • MISC Freelancer
    • Origin 300i
    • Origin M50
    • Fish Tank

I am also a subscriber so I've been doing that and according to my billing page I have so far spent $660! Mind you I also got a T-Shirt (Star Citizen), the hard copy of the modders handbook, and of course my ID card and a few more things.

OMG I've spent $660! O_O

Forum Sage
    Ok Varsh, time to slow down buddy

BBK.. Tapa. Talked.

Thread Information