Latest PSU headlines:

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    vinny_pizza79

Moving my router

Hi all, I'm moving my router and modem closer to my ps4 so I can have a wired connection since my signal is not great. This means the modem and router will be on one end of the house and no longer on the main cable line coming into the house. I have a few questions:

1. Cable guy already said years ago that the cable line by my ps4 has a weaker signal since it comes from a split, would a cable signal booster help? Has anyone used something like this?

2. Does the strength of the cable signal impact the strength of a Wifi signal? Maybe a booster at the main line will be enough to leave my system wireless.

3. If I do move the signal to one side of the house and my ps3 suffer from poor Wifi, does a Wifi Extender really work?

Sorry if these sound like easy or common sense questions, but I figure I'd ask before moving or buying things.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    SkarEffect
    What kind of router and modem do you have?

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    vinny_pizza79
    Quote Originally Posted by SkarEffect View Post
    What kind of router and modem do you have?
    Not home, but to the best of my recollection, router is a Linksys E3200 and I update the firmware not too long ago. The modem is from the cable company, I believe it is a Arris 804G which is their most up to date model.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by vinny_pizza79 View Post
    Hi all, I'm moving my router and modem closer to my ps4 so I can have a wired connection since my signal is not great. This means the modem and router will be on one end of the house and no longer on the main cable line coming into the house. I have a few questions:

1. Cable guy already said years ago that the cable line by my ps4 has a weaker signal since it comes from a split, would a cable signal booster help? Has anyone used something like this?

2. Does the strength of the cable signal impact the strength of a Wifi signal? Maybe a booster at the main line will be enough to leave my system wireless.

3. If I do move the signal to one side of the house and my ps3 suffer from poor Wifi, does a Wifi Extender really work?

Sorry if these sound like easy or common sense questions, but I figure I'd ask before moving or buying things.

1: I might help, but you would be better off getting a smaller splitter with a smaller dB drop if you have any open plugs that aren't being used. If you have access to the RF lines, upgrading to newer RG-6 cable and keep the length of the cable short will also help dramatically.

2: No, they are two separate things, you might look at getting a better router or even a stand alone wireless access point of even a repeater so spread the signal.

3. Yes, they really work!

Let me know if you have any other questions!

PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    vinny_pizza79
    Thanks MC! I may look into a range extender first. I could always return it if I don't see a signal boost. Looked up these two on amazon, big difference in price, any thoughts?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00E98...&pi=SY200_QL40

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00BWL...110_SY165_QL70

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Yeah, I've got coworkers who say the signal extenders work really well. I wouldn't think a "split" cable would make a difference unless it was split several times.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    vinny_pizza79
    Looking into different Wifi extenders now.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    Yeah, I've got coworkers who say the signal extenders work really well. I wouldn't think a "split" cable would make a difference unless it was split several times.
    In the past when I had cable modems I know a $#@!ty old cable mixed with a large splitter can cause lots of issues, after researching it at my old house I ran a fresh new cable with a splitter that has a dedicated modem line (the one with the lower decibel drop) and it fixed all my problems!

PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    vinny_pizza79
    The splitter on the side of my house looks like garbage. I may update it as well just to clean things up.

Master Guru
    I made the switch to Wifi not that long ago. Couldn't imagine going back to wired connections. Good luck with that though.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    vinny_pizza79
    Quote Originally Posted by TDbank24 View Post
    I made the switch to Wifi not that long ago. Couldn't imagine going back to wired connections. Good luck with that though.
    I guess last night put me over, kept trying to log into COD and got errors about weak signal etc. Finally I ran a a 75ft ethernet cable through the house to play. Weird thing though, while I was able to play, NAT type while hard wired was Strict? Seems to be working better now (back to moderate NAT) , but I'm still replacing my splitter outside with a better one and maybe looking at a Wifi extender.

Thread Information