Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation

A Challenge for PSU Atheists

Here is a challenge to PSU atheists:

I, a christian raised and living in the Bible Belt, would like to have a debate. I would like to have this religious hot topic debate with an atheist on PSU. It can be anyone and any member who is an atheist. It can even be a new member.

The Rules?

1. The Debate can ONLY be 5 pages. If I or the atheist member refutes something or a post and their post is the last on the 5th page, they automatically win no matter what I say next.

2. ONLY ONE atheist can have this debate with me. No one else. If another atheist comes along and posts something that helps the atheist, the debate is over and no one wins. If a christian comes along and helps me, then the debate is over and no one wins.

3. No flaming or insults. I will not insult whoever the atheist is and I expect the same. If he says, "You're a blah blah blah." Debate is over. If he says, "Christianity is blah blah blah." Then we continue.

4. Follow PSU rules during this debate. Be nice, don't be rude.

5. The Debate or discussion will be over one topic. It can be abortion, women's rights, and even does God even exist. The atheist picks the topic. It can only be ONE topic, we must not stray from the topic.

Finally, what happens if the atheist wins?

I WILL become an atheist from the date of the debate, for 1 month. I have to be an atheist for 1 month.

If I win?

The atheist becomes a christian for 1 month at the date at the end of the debate.

How to get started?

An atheist MUST post in this thread saying they want to debate and they must name his or her topic.

The first atheist who does this will be the one I debate against. First serve, first come basis.

Others may post in the thread, but I ask please refrain from helping anyone or any points.

Thank you.

Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

Friendship is Carrots
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Wolf View Post
    Finally, what happens if the atheist wins?

I WILL become an atheist from the date of the debate, for 1 month. I have to be an atheist for 1 month.

If I win?

The atheist becomes a christian for 1 month at the date at the end of the debate.
    How does that work? This is such a worldly, fundamental belief that makes up who a person is. If you truly believe in the Bible's word then how can you just "be an atheist" for a month? For that to happen the arguments presented to you wouldn't just need to 'win' against your argument, but coerce your belief on the subject entirely. It would need to end with you contemplating that your faith is not an endeavor worth maintaining in light of the opposing arguments made to you. Same for the atheist -- you'd need to honestly convince them the Christin God is real. Both of these things are difficult to do, largely for the same reasons. It's not like going a month wearing sandals instead of shoes to see what it feels like.

I think the best thing you can do is try to is, as objectively as possible, judge the rationale given by your opponent. And come out of the debate reevaluating your mindset in some way. Try to be critical minded for yourself and honest with your arguments. That will create a much better end result for yourself and whoever you argue with.
    Last edited by Nerevar; 04-13-2014 at 23:25.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    How does that work? This is such a worldly, fundamental belief that makes up who a person is. If you truly believe in the Bible's word then how can just "be an atheist" for a month? For that to happen the arguments presented to you wouldn't just need to 'win' against your argument, but coerce your belief on the subject entirely. It would need to end with you contemplating that your faith is not an endeavor worth maintaining in light of the opposing arguments made to you. Same for the atheist -- you'd need to honestly convince them the Christin God is real. Both of these things are difficult to do, largely for the same reasons. It's not like going a month wearing sandals instead of shoes to see what it feels like.

I think the best thing you can do is try to, as objectively as possible, judge the rationale given by your opponent. And come out of the debate reevaluating your mindset in some way. Try to be critical minded for yourself and honest with your arguments. That will create a much better end result for yourself and whoever you argue with.
    You're right, this is not going to work out.

Closing the thread. Thanks Rapture for pointing that out to me.

Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

Thread Information