Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 31
  1. #1
    Ultimate Veteran
    Metal King Slime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Slime Hill
    Age
    23
    Posts
    22,643
    Rep Power
    192
    Points
    11,609 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

    Do you consider The Last of Us to be a classic?

    Maybe it's a silly question, but you can't deny that 200 game of the year awards and many PlayStation gamers citing the game as their new all-time favorite and/or having changed their lives are impressive feats for a new IP.

    Personally, I think it's up there with games like Chrono Trigger and GTA III. It certainly makes you think about the journey you've been on with Joel and Ellie and, in my opinion, is revolutionary in how well it marries cinematics, storytelling and gameplay. I also think it's safe to say that it was pretty successful sales-wise since Sony greenlit a movie based on the game and a remaster for the PS4.

    I wouldn't put it in my personal top 5, just because it's really hard for me to put aside my nostalgia for older games like GTA III and Skies of Arcadia Legends, but The Last of Us certainly left an impact when I finished playing it. Do you agree or is there a different game you played on the PS3 that comes to mind?
    Last edited by Metal King Slime; 07-14-2014 at 18:57.
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!

    Do you love GTA? Check out my general discussion thread here!

  2. #2
    Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Christopher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Warner Robins, GA
    Age
    43
    Posts
    8,451
    Rep Power
    111
    Points
    69,274 (1,010 Banked)
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    It is just one of those games that stay with you long after you've finished. I think it will go down as one of the best video games ever simply because of the depth of the story. The gameplay is great, but that isn't what sets it apart. As you said, the story and the movie quality of the game is what makes the game awesome. If I think of one game that stands out above everything else from the last generation, it is TLOU.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

    Server Error Status Thread







  3. #3
    Dedicated Member
    Shingo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Posts
    1,368
    Rep Power
    32
    Points
    15,278 (0 Banked)
    Items User name styleOne Piece
    I personally feel how characters feel , what they think in their mind... When I look at joel's face, I can read his mind. This feeling is awesome. So unique. The other key factor for me is the background, I mean scenery, it is so dead yet lively, definitely has a story, detailed and not repetitive. This game definitely in my top 10 too.
    (_)
    ( _)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)



    MyAnimeList
    Currently playing GOW:A
    Next : Last of Us, One Piece : Pirate Warriors 2

  4. #4
    Community Manager
    Fijiandoce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Pacific Isles of Doceness
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Posts
    4,580
    Rep Power
    90
    Points
    274,344 (888 Banked)
    I can relate to the nostalgic value of old games. I still regard Grandia as one of the best games.

    However, the level of emotion shown by the characters in TLoU has simply been unmatched. Ellie's dejected face when joel scolds her, Joel's surprise at the resolute determination Ellie shows.

    Joel's daughters death scene was hard to watch, personally. it wasn't sad, and overly dramatic, no orchestral pieces, just pure emotion.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim


  5. #5
    Apprentice
    Effekt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    PSN ID
    Effekt
    Age
    22
    Posts
    348
    Rep Power
    51
    Points
    5,652 (0 Banked)
    Items Metal Gear SolidTommy VercettiLegend of ZeldaBlizzardAtlus
    It's a great game but not up there with GTA3, Chrono Trigger, Ocarina of Time, etc. Plain and simply just because of the time they came out everything they did was innovative, it was during a renaissance for gaming. TLoU's whole story itself was over done many times, the game play was like uncharted, and yes it did look beautiful but isn't enough in my opinion to make it a God-Tier. It is an amazing game and I had a blast playing it but I just don't think you can put it in the same bracket as those games.

  6. #6
    Community Manager
    Fijiandoce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Pacific Isles of Doceness
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Posts
    4,580
    Rep Power
    90
    Points
    274,344 (888 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Effekt View Post
    It's a great game but not up there with GTA3, Chrono Trigger, Ocarina of Time, etc. Plain and simply just because of the time they came out everything they did was innovative, it was during a renaissance for gaming. TLoU's whole story itself was over done many times, the game play was like uncharted, and yes it did look beautiful but isn't enough in my opinion to make it a God-Tier. It is an amazing game and I had a blast playing it but I just don't think you can put it in the same bracket as those games.
    that's true.

    But,


    They amount to cardboard drawings when compared to ^this^. Yeah, the gameplay might not be original in TLoU, no game nowadays can claim that title. it's all been done before.

    However, can any game claim to have brought such emotion from the characters, not from the player, that's easy (FFVII i believe?), but to have on screen characters express emotion the way shown in TLoU? To have characters interact the way they do? The old games simply did not have the power to express that.

    Don't get me wrong, when Puffy and Sue leave in Grandia, it's quite a sad moment. But it could be so much more if they could actually express themselves by themselves, and not have to rely on really sad piano chords, nor melodramatic OTT dramatic actions.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim


  7. #7
    The Dawkness!
    Naxi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    UK
    PSN ID
    ElNaxi
    Age
    23
    Posts
    9,705
    Rep Power
    104
    Points
    8,241 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    It's a well done and an amazing game, but I don't exactly see what puts it high up on that level. It isn't the first game to do those things successfully, even Uncharted was able to do that.

    My name isn't a misspelled Nazi,god****.

  8. Likes Effekt likes this post
  9. #8
    Supreme Veteran
    Ixion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    New York
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Age
    24
    Posts
    19,951
    Rep Power
    161
    Points
    70,956 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    The Last of Us perfectly executed the "movie-game" genre, but that's still what it was. It didn't do anything new. It just did it extremely well.

    And personally, while I was thoroughly entertained playing through the game, it's one of those games that gives me no urge to replay it. In my opinion, the top-tier games are the ones I can play over and over and still want to play again.

  10. Likes Effekt likes this post
  11. #9
    Apprentice
    Effekt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    PSN ID
    Effekt
    Age
    22
    Posts
    348
    Rep Power
    51
    Points
    5,652 (0 Banked)
    Items Metal Gear SolidTommy VercettiLegend of ZeldaBlizzardAtlus
    Quote Originally Posted by Fijiandoce View Post
    that's true.

    But,


    They amount to cardboard drawings when compared to ^this^. Yeah, the gameplay might not be original in TLoU, no game nowadays can claim that title. it's all been done before.

    However, can any game claim to have brought such emotion from the characters, not from the player, that's easy (FFVII i believe?), but to have on screen characters express emotion the way shown in TLoU? To have characters interact the way they do? The old games simply did not have the power to express that.

    Don't get me wrong, when Puffy and Sue leave in Grandia, it's quite a sad moment. But it could be so much more if they could actually express themselves by themselves, and not have to rely on really sad piano chords, nor melodramatic OTT dramatic actions.
    Visuals aren't as important as gameplay you can't say a game is good just because it looks good. You're trying to say that because it shows character emotion better than other games that it deserves automatically to be labeled as good as one of the best games of all time. I feel like you haven't played a lot of older games when they came out for you to say that they didn't bring emotion to the players, most of the FF games indeed did do this and FFVII is one of the best examples, that death is claimed to be one of the most emotional moments in gaming history for gamers, sure now it means not much replaying it, but back then that was the best you got and you could almost say it's better because the rest was left up for your imagination and not limited to what you see. And I completely agree most games nowadays aren't original, I enjoy new games nothing against them at all, I just can't see many modern games today getting up to "greatest games of all time".

    Like I said I loved TLoU, but gameplay is almost a copy and paste of uncharted, the story is literally predictable, emotional still but it was pretty predictable, it had amazing graphics but doesn't make up for everything else just being honest, it was game of year and I don't see a problem with that (though there were other games on the same level as it honestly) but when you look at it on a larger scale of being one of the greatest games of all time, then that's what it comes down for it not to be.

  12. #10
    Community Manager
    Fijiandoce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Pacific Isles of Doceness
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Posts
    4,580
    Rep Power
    90
    Points
    274,344 (888 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Effekt View Post
    Visuals aren't as important as gameplay you can't say a game is good just because it looks good. You're trying to say that because it shows character emotion better than other games that it deserves automatically to be labeled as good as one of the best games of all time. I feel like you haven't played a lot of older games when they came out for you to say that they didn't bring emotion to the players, most of the FF games indeed did do this and FFVII is one of the best examples, that death is claimed to be one of the most emotional moments in gaming history for gamers, sure now it means not much replaying it, but back then that was the best you got and you could almost say it's better because the rest was left up for your imagination and not limited to what you see. And I completely agree most games nowadays aren't original, I enjoy new games nothing against them at all, I just can't see many modern games today getting up to "greatest games of all time".

    Like I said I loved TLoU, but gameplay is almost a copy and paste of uncharted, the story is literally predictable, emotional still but it was pretty predictable, it had amazing graphics but doesn't make up for everything else just being honest, it was game of year and I don't see a problem with that (though there were other games on the same level as it honestly) but when you look at it on a larger scale of being one of the greatest games of all time, then that's what it comes down for it not to be.
    Firstly, don't put words in my mouth. No where did i express "it just looks good". The visuals merely complement the desired emotion warranted from the characters in the story. If they're good, then they're good. end of.
    Expressing emotion can be achieved in many ways. The point i drew when bringing up Grandia.

    Secondly, don't act like you know what i may, or my not have played. it's not your place to say what my experience is with games. you don't know me, therefore your opinion on the matter is moot.

    As a point, i've played games since the famicom; Ocarina of Time, Pokemon, Contra, Spyhunter are some of the many titles i remember as a kid. The only difference being, i don't cling onto old tropes the way others do. I feel gaming has gotten better as an entertainment medium through the generations. As such, my tastes have grown with them.

    If you set a rigid standard that it was 'great' simply because it was first. You're never going to progress. Are the old games great, yeah, sure, im sure i said as much. But, as even you alluded to, there is an element of Nostalgic romanticism going on as when you go back and play them. they lack the same feel they once had.

    Now with TLoU creating an atmosphere where the player is able to empathize with the character, and understand them, where a subtle facial expression can reveal their true emotion and not the front they put up. Is that not somewhat revolutionary? Yeah, Uncharted did it first, but Drake is a smart ass and has the emotional range of a two year old. Thus never ND explored the areas TLoU goes into. "Graphics" are secondary. TLoU has a level of detail however that brings you closer to the characters. You didn't "imagine" (as you put it), Ellie and Joel simply are. And you gradually understand their characters as you follow them through the story.

    It's like comparing Michael Schumacher and Juan Manuel Fangio. And again, having grown up watching Hakkinen, Senna, Prost and others, i'd still say Schumacher is the greatest. I've grown with the sport and i don't cling to how it "once" was. The New Formula is just as exciting as it was almost 20 years ago in my eyes.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim


  13. #11
    Super Moderator
    PS4freak's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Louisiana
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Age
    27
    Posts
    13,821
    Rep Power
    145
    Points
    87,280 (190,439 Banked)
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    It's one of the most impressive games I've played in years. Will it stick with me like those other titles. I think so. It is in my top 3 for this generation. But I'm not as impressionable as I was back then.




    Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

  14. #12
    Friendship is Carrots
    Nerevar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Equestria
    Age
    22
    Posts
    15,815
    Rep Power
    135
    Points
    82,338 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I feel like despite the great story, the game skimped out on making the hard decision at the end. That brought it down a bit for me.

    For me, it was just a very good game. I don't think it's to become a gem of gaming that will be labeled a classic and remembered for decades. It's just a very, very solid and great gaming experience that will sit on the PS3 as one of its achievements. Nothing more.
    Add me on Steam!


    [Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

  15. Likes Effekt likes this post
  16. #13
    Supreme Veteran
    Ixion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    New York
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Age
    24
    Posts
    19,951
    Rep Power
    161
    Points
    70,956 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fijiandoce View Post
    Now with TLoU creating an atmosphere where the player is able to empathize with the character, and understand them, where a subtle facial expression can reveal their true emotion and not the front they put up. Is that not somewhat revolutionary?
    I would say no, because those are just non-interactive cut-scenes. Are they greatly written, acted, and motion captured? Perhaps, but those are just movies inside the game. And movies have been doing that for a long time.

  17. Likes Effekt likes this post
  18. #14
    Master Sage
    Two4DaMoney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    27
    Posts
    12,546
    Rep Power
    111
    Points
    16,482 (75,576 Banked)
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    It's one of my fav games of all time. Instant classic. It's one of the reasons why I'm going to buy the ps4 version for 60 dollars.

    It's so well made that even when it gets upped by a future title, in all areas, that you can go back and still enjoy it because the gameplay mechanics and story telling isn't broken. "It needs to be the first to do something. It needs..." $#@! all that $#@!. It's a gem.


  19. #15
    Community Manager
    Fijiandoce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Pacific Isles of Doceness
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Posts
    4,580
    Rep Power
    90
    Points
    274,344 (888 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    I would say no, because those are just non-interactive cut-scenes. Are they greatly written, acted, and motion captured? Perhaps, but those are just movies inside the game. And movies have been doing that for a long time.
    It's not just the cinematics where TLoU expresses emotion. In real time, Tess will order Ellie with a degree of seriousness in her face that sets the tone for the level. Sarah, as she walks around the house, conveys uneasiness about her surroundings. Ellie, when she is scolded by Joel will mope in a corner....the list goes on. The level of detail far surpasses anything seen in gaming.

    If you were to apply the same rigid standard of 'first past the post' (as with older titles), that would give TLoU the necessary criteria to classify, would it not? No other game has achieved this level of cinematic immersion (if you will).
    Sig courtesy of the_jim


  20. Likes Two4DaMoney likes this post
  21. #16
    PSU Trophy Manager
    Fenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Age
    25
    Posts
    11,607
    Rep Power
    92
    Points
    19,951 (1,000 Banked)
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    It was a great game but I have zero desire to go replay it. Maybe when I can find the PS4 version in a bargain bin so I can experience the DLC.

    Sig&Av by Kuro

    Preorders:
    FarCry4DragonAge3DyingLightOrder1886Witcher3Batman:AKUncharted4

    PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

  22. Likes Effekt likes this post
  23. #17
    Master Guru
    Fon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    @Home
    Age
    26
    Posts
    6,135
    Rep Power
    78
    Points
    112,021 (10,000 Banked)
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    If you mean that if it will become a gem like said titles from different generations in gaming then sure. The Last of Us did leave a lasting impression on me. Although personally it was nothing compared to, Nier (Yeah I always find ways to glorify this game).

    While fun gameplay is absolutely important, great stories and character development is important too.







  24. Likes Effekt likes this post
  25. #18
    Apprentice
    Effekt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    PSN ID
    Effekt
    Age
    22
    Posts
    348
    Rep Power
    51
    Points
    5,652 (0 Banked)
    Items Metal Gear SolidTommy VercettiLegend of ZeldaBlizzardAtlus
    Quote Originally Posted by Fijiandoce View Post
    Firstly, don't put words in my mouth. No where did i express "it just looks good". The visuals merely complement the desired emotion warranted from the characters in the story. If they're good, then they're good. end of.
    Expressing emotion can be achieved in many ways. The point i drew when bringing up Grandia.

    Secondly, don't act like you know what i may, or my not have played. it's not your place to say what my experience is with games. you don't know me, therefore your opinion on the matter is moot.

    As a point, i've played games since the famicom; Ocarina of Time, Pokemon, Contra, Spyhunter are some of the many titles i remember as a kid. The only difference being, i don't cling onto old tropes the way others do. I feel gaming has gotten better as an entertainment medium through the generations. As such, my tastes have grown with them.

    If you set a rigid standard that it was 'great' simply because it was first. You're never going to progress. Are the old games great, yeah, sure, im sure i said as much. But, as even you alluded to, there is an element of Nostalgic romanticism going on as when you go back and play them. they lack the same feel they once had.

    Now with TLoU creating an atmosphere where the player is able to empathize with the character, and understand them, where a subtle facial expression can reveal their true emotion and not the front they put up. Is that not somewhat revolutionary? Yeah, Uncharted did it first, but Drake is a smart ass and has the emotional range of a two year old. Thus never ND explored the areas TLoU goes into. "Graphics" are secondary. TLoU has a level of detail however that brings you closer to the characters. You didn't "imagine" (as you put it), Ellie and Joel simply are. And you gradually understand their characters as you follow them through the story.

    It's like comparing Michael Schumacher and Juan Manuel Fangio. And again, having grown up watching Hakkinen, Senna, Prost and others, i'd still say Schumacher is the greatest. I've grown with the sport and i don't cling to how it "once" was. The New Formula is just as exciting as it was almost 20 years ago in my eyes.
    So once again you have nothing else to say then feelings, emotions and the VISUALS of the game. What else can you say? Because you just repeat yourself lol. Of course they aren't going to feel the same when they came out, that's why you base it off your first impressions of the game. There is nothing I'm clinging on to, those games came out during an exciting time for gaming, everything was still up for grabs, new and risky things were being tried out and there was no standards like today that is the main reason they have such an advantage over games today. Have you not seen the article where nearly every single protagonist looks the same?

    You're being completely ignorant by just pressing this whole "nostalgia" argument and completely ignore the fact that the game just isn't that amazing. The standard is high, that's why they're considered greatest video games of all time for what they did. Atmosphere, visuals and emotions are all nice and much appreciated SIDE features. Nothing more than that, that doesn't make up the whole rest of the game. If that's all you look for in games than you might as well watch a movie, but than again the game is pretty much just a movie...

  26. #19
    Ultimate Veteran
    Metal King Slime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Slime Hill
    Age
    23
    Posts
    22,643
    Rep Power
    192
    Points
    11,609 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    That picture you posted, they don't all look the same. There are some similarities but also differences. It's like if you were to pick 20 faces of characters from JRPGs or animes all consisting of teenagers.
    Last edited by Metal King Slime; 04-15-2014 at 19:35.
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!

    Do you love GTA? Check out my general discussion thread here!

  27. #20
    Veteran
    Shibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Philly
    Age
    24
    Posts
    4,154
    Rep Power
    72
    Points
    14,834 (0 Banked)
    Items LiverpoolUser name style
    A game doesn't have to be completely original to be a classic. I will never say that everything has been done, but every original idea draws from other sources of inspiration, so it's never going to be possible to be completely original. But these pieces can still set themselves apart in their execution, and The Last of Us does exactly that.

    At a time when we are flooded with zombie content across every medium (games, movies, books, tv shows), the fact that The Last of Us can poke its head into a genre packed with stereotypes and cliches and still rise above it all, even embracing some of those cliches in the process, while bringing me one of the best gaming experiences of my life, makes it even MORE impressive to me.


  28. #21
    Apprentice
    Effekt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    PSN ID
    Effekt
    Age
    22
    Posts
    348
    Rep Power
    51
    Points
    5,652 (0 Banked)
    Items Metal Gear SolidTommy VercettiLegend of ZeldaBlizzardAtlus
    Quote Originally Posted by Black View Post
    That picture you posted, they don't all look the same. There are some similarities but also differences. It's like if you were to pick 20 faces of characters from JRPGs or animes all consisting of teenagers.
    In the end of the day how different are they? They have more similarities than differences. And JRPGs and anime are just as guilty of it, not like I'm defending them. The overall point was just to show that how unoriginal most games are nowadays. I'm not saying video games suck because they do this, just pointing it out. I like pretty much every character in that chart.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shibby View Post
    A game doesn't have to be completely original to be a classic. I will never say that everything has been done, but every original idea draws from other sources of inspiration, so it's never going to be possible to be completely original. But these pieces can still set themselves apart in their execution, and The Last of Us does exactly that.

    At a time when we are flooded with zombie content across every medium (games, movies, books, tv shows), the fact that The Last of Us can poke its head into a genre packed with stereotypes and cliches and still rise above it all, even embracing some of those cliches in the process, while bringing me one of the best gaming experiences of my life, makes it even MORE impressive to me.
    I agree with you, it was executed well even with all the zombie movies and games and it's a great game. I just don't think it's a classic, I felt more like I watched a movie. That's what comes down to my opinion. Years from now I could be wrong and everybody will still be talking about the game or it will be barely talked about, that's what will determine if it's a classic.
    Last edited by Effekt; 04-15-2014 at 19:54.

  29. #22
    Newbie

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    PSN ID
    CaptainWoopy
    Posts
    9
    Rep Power
    0
    Points
    355 (0 Banked)
    It was an amazing experience. The story, the graphics, and the visuals were all fantastic. The level design is great too!

  30. #23
    PSU Live Streamer
    shepard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Age
    34
    Posts
    2,437
    Rep Power
    76
    Points
    25,087 (0 Banked)
    I've already gone on record and stated that this game took the crown for my favorite game in ~30 years of gaming. The game was able to draw me in on an emotional level that VERY few have ever gotten close to doing before. Shock value in past games? sure. But past games didn't have the advantages of today to convey the level of emotion that was meant to be experienced. The death of Aeris in FF7. The death of Crono in Chrono Trigger. When the twins (who I leveled like crazy I might add) sacrificed themselves in FF4. All these moments made my jaw drop, but none actually had me tearing up.

    TLOU actually got me choked up more than once. I had never shared emotion before with a character on screen till this game. I would come to work having played ahead of my coworkers so I could hear their experience in the same scenes I had just gone through. I have watched numerous people on youtube post playthroughs of this game with live commentary to see the expressions on their faces and hear their reactions to what was happening on screen live.

    From a gameplay stand point, it may not have forged its own path.
    From a story stand point, it may have taken from cliches and tropes of existing zombies stories.
    But to claim this game had no meaningful impact on the gamers that played it and therefore couldn't be considered a timeless classic to be brought up in conversation years from now? I find that difficult to believe.
    Last edited by shepard; 04-16-2014 at 00:39.

    Come find me on Twitch.tv!


  31. #24
    Power Member
    Dave-The-Rave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Age
    25
    Posts
    17,133
    Rep Power
    128
    Points
    37,768 (0 Banked)
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I don't feel nostalgic about GTA III at all.
    Trophy-licious!


    3DS: 3754-7606-9595

  32. #25
    Community Manager
    Fijiandoce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Pacific Isles of Doceness
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Posts
    4,580
    Rep Power
    90
    Points
    274,344 (888 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Effekt View Post
    So once again you have nothing else to say then feelings, emotions and the VISUALS of the game. What else can you say? Because you just repeat yourself lol. Of course they aren't going to feel the same when they came out, that's why you base it off your first impressions of the game. There is nothing I'm clinging on to, those games came out during an exciting time for gaming, everything was still up for grabs, new and risky things were being tried out and there was no standards like today that is the main reason they have such an advantage over games today. Have you not seen the article where nearly every single protagonist looks the same?

    You're being completely ignorant by just pressing this whole "nostalgia" argument and completely ignore the fact that the game just isn't that amazing. The standard is high, that's why they're considered greatest video games of all time for what they did. Atmosphere, visuals and emotions are all nice and much appreciated SIDE features. Nothing more than that, that doesn't make up the whole rest of the game. If that's all you look for in games than you might as well watch a movie, but than again the game is pretty much just a movie...
    it's pretty funny to call someone who's criteria is quite broad ignorant don't you think? I've never said once that the old games were bad, or terrible. Neither have i said they weren't significant to the industry. However, that in no way classifies them as being in an exclusive group of the 'greatest' simply for being first. that standard is too rigid and does not facilitate the obvious problem with a progressing medium.

    Quote Originally Posted by Effekt View Post
    So once again you have nothing else to say then feelings, emotions and the VISUALS of the game.
    Highlight it any way you want, as i've said before, the visuals merely complement the intended tone and atmosphere. For which TLoU stands unrivalled.

    I'd have to ask what you think of starfox given your stance on the matter, where would you class that out of curiosity? In fact, i'd have to call you on that. What made Zelda, better than Starfox?

    NOTE: When i said "others" in my previous post, i did not mean "you". if i meant you, i would say "you". I was merely referring the industries love for comparing content to that from the past. Which is a ridiculous sentiment that explains why COD managed 9/10 for year on end....it did so for being first past the post.

    Also, i don't know what it has to do with anything. but i'll humour the Brown eyed, brown hair protagonist topic:
    Blonde hair and Blue eyes are genetic defects, thus are overwritten by the more predominant gene for brown eyes and brown hair. ergo, Blonde hair and Blue eyes are recessive genes gradually falling into extinction. While it's never as clear cut as that in reality, as you end up with some rather beautiful colour variations, the end result is still the same: Most of human kind has brown hair, and brown eyes....a rather simple and obvious fact.....therefore the argument makes no sense. This isn't 'new' either. It's been happening since the cave men.
    It's sorta kinda the same for gingers, but they are derived from a lack of Vitamin B (or D, i forget which) which gives them their pasty white complexion and dislike for the sun, again i don't know what my hair colour has to do with how great a game is, but i digress :/
    Last edited by Fijiandoce; 04-16-2014 at 01:14. Reason: rephrased question
    Sig courtesy of the_jim


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
vBCredits II Deluxe v2.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2010-2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.