Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    PSU Technical Advisor
    Vulgotha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Age
    23
    Posts
    15,953
    Rep Power
    143
    Points
    106,591 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

    Princeton Study: America is Closer to an Oligarchy Than a Democracy

    http://www.princeton.edu/~mgilens/Gi...s%203-7-14.pdf


    By Benjamin Page and Martin Giles.

    "When a majority of citizens disagrees with economic elites and/or with organized interests, they generally lose. Moreover, because of the strong status quo bias built into the U.S. political system, even when fairly large majorities of Americans favor policy change, they generally do not get it."
    ~ Pg 23

    So many alarm bells should be ringing by now for my fellow Americans. This corruption and oppression of the American people has to stop, and only we can do it.


  2. Likes TidalPhoenix , $Greatness$ likes this post
  3. #2
    Super Moderator
    Admartian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    New Zealand
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Age
    27
    Posts
    13,014
    Rep Power
    128
    Points
    39,962 (0 Banked)
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Overthrow it - armed rebellion style!

    #IndieStation4 and proud of it.

  4. #3
    Forum Elder
    chrisw26308's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Age
    42
    Posts
    2,622
    Rep Power
    72
    Points
    13,403 (0 Banked)
    Oh geez. Now we're going to have the CIA up in here.

    Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  5. Likes $Greatness$ likes this post
  6. #4
    Power Member
    mynd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Down Under
    Age
    41
    Posts
    17,449
    Rep Power
    161
    Points
    158,963 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Ive never truly understood the college voting system you have, is it even Representative of your population?

  7. #5
    Veteran
    The Black Wolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    MS, USA
    Posts
    4,719
    Rep Power
    49
    Points
    6,079 (12,000 Banked)
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation
    One way to stop or prevent is to spread the wealth and education around. Wealth + Education = Power.

    Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

  8. #6
    Power Member
    mynd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Down Under
    Age
    41
    Posts
    17,449
    Rep Power
    161
    Points
    158,963 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Its interesting, because in NZ, we currently have a situation where a particular person, who is trying to get into politics, and is very rich, is essentially buying himself in, or at least trying to. He has been outed in the past few weeks as trying to lavish lots of perks on a particular member of parliament to curry favor back in 2011, and when that didn't work because the perks were refused, he has sought quite a hefty revenge on the politician, and has infact bought this politician to his knees.
    Its all starting to come out because we actually have fairly stringent rules around backhanders and perks, and yet I cant help but think he thought he'd get away with it because "thats how politics is played", or at the very least portrayed in America. Special interest groups and backhanders.

    Is it really like that? Don't they have rules around getting donations and perks? You senators are always shown as greedy bastards with no moral compass to the rest of the world.

    As for said $#@! stirrer in NZ, the FBI can come get him as far as I'm concerned they certainly want him.

  9. #7
    Forum Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    31
    Posts
    8,383
    Rep Power
    100
    Points
    1,342 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulgotha View Post
    http://www.princeton.edu/~mgilens/Gi...s%203-7-14.pdf


    By Benjamin Page and Martin Giles.

    ~ Pg 23

    So many alarm bells should be ringing by now for my fellow Americans. This corruption and oppression of the American people has to stop, and only we can do it.
    I can definitely see why one would consider the system we have today as more closely resembling an oligarchy but I find that term to describe what America is to be inaccurate. What we have today is more of a system that falls in line with the definition of a plutocracy/plutarchy. The country and its laws are more in line and setup as a corporation. You are a corporate entity or account as far as the powers-of-be are concerned. It's why your name is in all caps on your driver's license. This is directly traceable to maritime laws, customs and terminology and the concept of human beings being used as collateral for the repayment of the nation's debts.

    For anyone interested or curious as to what I'm on about, look up these terms.

    Jolly Roger (American maritime flag)
    Maritime Law
    Maritime Terminologies
    America as corporate entity

  10. #8
    Forum Elder
    chrisw26308's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Age
    42
    Posts
    2,622
    Rep Power
    72
    Points
    13,403 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    Ive never truly understood the college voting system you have, is it even Representative of your population?
    What system? Can u be more specific?

    As for the bribery and perks and such, it is highly illegal but they hide things like this by donating to the campaign. Many have been caught at this and jailed.

    Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  11. #9
    Power Member
    mynd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Down Under
    Age
    41
    Posts
    17,449
    Rep Power
    161
    Points
    158,963 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisw26308 View Post
    What system? Can u be more specific?

    As for the bribery and perks and such, it is highly illegal but they hide things like this by donating to the campaign. Many have been caught at this and jailed.

    Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
    this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elector...ited_States%29

  12. #10
    Forum Elder
    chrisw26308's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Age
    42
    Posts
    2,622
    Rep Power
    72
    Points
    13,403 (0 Banked)
    Oh electoral voting system.

    http://www.archives.gov/federal-regi...ege/about.html

    Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  13. #11
    Power Member
    mynd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Down Under
    Age
    41
    Posts
    17,449
    Rep Power
    161
    Points
    158,963 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisw26308 View Post
    Oh electoral voting system.

    http://www.archives.gov/federal-regi...ege/about.html

    Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
    Ah, this is the bit I was looking for.

    Electoral votes are allocated based on the Census.
    The allocations below are based on the 2010 Census.
    They are effective for the 2012, 2016, and 2020 presidential elections.

  14. #12
    PSU Technical Advisor
    Vulgotha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Age
    23
    Posts
    15,953
    Rep Power
    143
    Points
    106,591 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Morganator View Post
    I can definitely see why one would consider the system we have today as more closely resembling an oligarchy but I find that term to describe what America is to be inaccurate. What we have today is more of a system that falls in line with the definition of a plutocracy/plutarchy. The country and its laws are more in line and setup as a corporation. You are a corporate entity or account as far as the powers-of-be are concerned. It's why your name is in all caps on your driver's license. This is directly traceable to maritime laws, customs and terminology and the concept of human beings being used as collateral for the repayment of the nation's debts.

    For anyone interested or curious as to what I'm on about, look up these terms.

    Jolly Roger (American maritime flag)
    Maritime Law
    Maritime Terminologies
    America as corporate entity
    Frankly, I am more sure of what we're not- representative democracy\constitutional republic- as opposed to what exactly we are. A lot of ideas can be thrown around, ranging in validity, as to what system best describes us.

    Oligarchy? Plutocracy? Kleptocracy (only half kidding with this one)?

    Mostly, Princeton came together with a reasonable study from two very well respected individuals in the field and rounded their way to oligarchy. Simply put, this should be alarming to every American drawing breath.

    @Mynd

    Electoral college is an antiquated system, and it is the only real way a president is elected. We have the popular vote, but this does not directly dictate the outcome of who is elected president. You may recall that Bush beat Gore in 2000, and that there was a big stink about it because he lost the popular vote. However, the electoral college vote stated he won.

    The idea, I believe, was to keep powerful government officials such as the president slightly removed from 'mob' politics. So while the popular vote cannot elect a president directly, normally the electoral college follows it. It gets a bit more confusing, because state laws control how their elector can vote. For instance, requiring him to cast his vote in harmony with the outcome of the popular vote in that state.

    In other states, this may not be the case.
    Last edited by Vulgotha; 04-16-2014 at 00:48.


  15. #13
    Forum Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    31
    Posts
    8,383
    Rep Power
    100
    Points
    1,342 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulgotha View Post
    Frankly, I am more sure of what we're not- representative democracy\constitutional republic- as opposed to what exactly we are. A lot of ideas can be thrown around, ranging in validity, as to what system best describes us.

    Oligarchy? Plutocracy? Kleptocracy (only half kidding with this one)?

    Mostly, Princeton came together with a reasonable study from two very well respected individuals in the field and rounded their way to oligarchy. Simply put, this should be alarming to every American drawing breath.
    Yeah, I see how they got to where they end up but I'm not convinced it's an oligarchy. Moneyed-interests run this country as a corporation with an entire system of laws separate from constitutional law. Admiralty law is pervasive but far removed from constitutional law. I know that from a glance, my viewpoint can seem a bit tinfoil or at the very least, inaccurate but I think one needs to look at all the evidence. That gold-fringed flag stands for something very different than the laws associated with (or not) the constitution of the United States of America.
    Last edited by Ezekiel; 04-16-2014 at 01:54.

  16. #14
    PSU Technical Advisor
    Vulgotha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Age
    23
    Posts
    15,953
    Rep Power
    143
    Points
    106,591 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Not here to pick a fight mate.


  17. #15
    Forum Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    31
    Posts
    8,383
    Rep Power
    100
    Points
    1,342 (0 Banked)
    I know. I was merely pointing out the reason for why I think it's a plutarchy and not an oligarchy.

  18. #16
    Forum Elder
    $Greatness$'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    PSN ID
    GreatnessRD
    Posts
    2,924
    Rep Power
    54
    Points
    25,927 (5,000 Banked)
    Items User name style
    That's what they want you to do. Go bananas and wild out so they can activate Martial Law. That's when thing will really get... 'fun'. All good though! I'll grab the hammer and sitting on my porch chillin'.

    Come at me bro


    $Greatness$ Awaits™


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
vBCredits II Deluxe v2.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2010-2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.