Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast
    Fire the space harpoons!
    PSN ID
    TidalPhoenix
    Items New User TitleUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Sony sells all its Square Enix shares for 28m A final fantasy.

Source
    By Robert Purchese

End of a long partnership. I can't see it affecting anything to be honest. The PS4 will still get Square Enix games on it and Sony make a bit of money in the bargain.

Sony Computer Entertainment has just announced the sale of its entire 9,520,000 pile of Square Enix shares to a company called SMBC Nikko Securities.

An income of nearly 4.8bn yen - around 28m - will be marked down in Sony's financial report for the year ending 31st March 2015. The exact sale price of the shares will be revealed tomorrow.

Confusingly, Sony's annual financial report for the year ending 31st March 2014 hasn't been revealed yet, but will be on 14th May. The forecast for the year ahead will include the sale of the shares.

While it's a financial boost for Sony, it marks the separation of two historically big Japanese gaming companies - a partnership that resulted in a strong Final Fantasy presence on PlayStation hardware over the years.

No explicit reason for the sale was given.

​aka Sparc

Entropy isn't what it used be

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    CrazyShady
    Items User name style
    Good call on Sony's part I agree. They're hurting financially and that's a nice wad of cash to have for the financial statements

PSN: CrazyShady GAMERTAG: CrazyShady44
    PS4 | PS Vita| Xbox 360 | PS3

Racing Game Fanatic!!
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Items Title StyleVitaPS3 Slim
    Sometimes you just have to move on!
    PSN ID: Duffman19864

Twitter ID: Duffman1986

Twitch ID: http://www.twitch.tv/duffman041986/profile

My Youtube Gaming Channel - Now with commentary: Duffman Gaming

Veteran
    PSN ID
    snooper71
    Items Naughty Dog
    No point in staying with them. S-E has not really kept any real exclusives last gen. Actually, didn't they make a game for the 360 that never saw a PS3 counter part? No need to keep assets in a half assed company any longer.

Good move IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Next Gen top picks:
    PS4: Infamous SS, DriveClub
    One: Project spark, Forza 5
    Multi: Watchdogs, The crew, FFXV, KHIII

Forum Overseer

SE: Just wait! Good game comin! *heavy japanese accent*
    Sony: *middle finger*

PSU Reviews Editor, Hit Series Creator
    PSN ID
    MelegantPrime
    Quote Originally Posted by snooper71 View Post
    No point in staying with them. S-E has not really kept any real exclusives last gen. Actually, didn't they make a game for the 360 that never saw a PS3 counter part? No need to keep assets in a half assed company any longer.

Good move IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I've got to concur. With FF13 going multi-platform, its not like the love was still there, opinions of the series regardless.

Veteran
    Items Manchester United
    Common sense to end the relationship with square enix...dead money on a series not half as popular as it use to be...should add a small nugget to their bottom line.

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    How much did it cost them?

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

I'm A Monster!
    Items User name style
    "A final fantasy" I see what you did there!

Sent from your wife's bed on my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

Sig By FinalReaper.
    Socom/Trophy Card.

PSU Live Streamer
    Sad day. When I think back and remember the entire reason I switched from Nintendo to Sony back in the day was because FF7 was Ps1 exclusive. But Square hasn't been the powerhouse it once was. Not to mention they no longer have their FF titles exclusive to the Sony brand.

Come find me on Twitch.tv!

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyShady View Post
    Good call on Sony's part I agree. They're hurting financially and that's a nice wad of cash to have for the financial statements
    Which is most likely the reason for selling off those shares.

Power Member
    Probably because they see the stock as simply devaluing with time. Square Enix isn't doing so hot if I recall, correct?

This could be seen as a vote of no confidence on Sony's part in relation to Square Enix.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    saigon1914
    I was wondering when they were going to do this. I honestly believe that SE is not worth keeping stock in anymore. Though maybe Sony should have waited until after the next FF game release before they gave up that stock but then again maybe it shows the true value of SE right now and its not worth keeping now or later.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    What Sony shouldve done, is bought Squaresoft after FFX before they merged with Enix, FF7-10 were HUGE sellers on PS1/2 + their other games.

This is a good move looking at how downhill SE has gone though so yeah.

Please help our Final Fantasy Community get off the ground:
    http://forums.final7fantasy.com/

Veteran
    PSN ID
    saigon1914
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronSOLDIER View Post
    What Sony shouldve done, is bought Squaresoft after FFX before they merged with Enix, FF7-10 were HUGE sellers on PS1/2 + their other games.

This is a good move looking at how downhill SE has gone though so yeah.
    Yeah, I do agree with your statement but at that time, SS was worth too much money. They had 4 hits in a row that made profit for both Sony and themselves. At that time, I understood owning stock in that company. Unless SE goes back to its glory days, Sony made the right move.

Level5 in my opinion is the company to look out for in Japan. Their next game is suppose to be another doozie and I can't wait until the game is available.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Effekt
    Items Metal Gear SolidTommy VercettiLegend of ZeldaBlizzardAtlus
    It's sad but I definitely have to agree there really is no point when they no longer release any exclusive games for the PS consoles. Had they kept KH3 or FF15 exclusive that would be a different story.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Quote Originally Posted by Saigon View Post
    Yeah, I do agree with your statement but at that time, SS was worth too much money. They had 4 hits in a row that made profit for both Sony and themselves. At that time, I understood owning stock in that company. Unless SE goes back to its glory days, Sony made the right move.

Level5 in my opinion is the company to look out for in Japan. Their next game is suppose to be another doozie and I can't wait until the game is available.
    Well they're an even bigger purchase now, had Sony bought them during the late 90s when Square was only a Japanese developer/publisher and needed Sony/Nintendo to localize their games they were worth a lot less.

Please help our Final Fantasy Community get off the ground:
    http://forums.final7fantasy.com/

Administrator
    Maybe they should do that FFVII remake to rekindle people's faith in their dying company. That's not exactly a gamble, it would sell like crack.

19. Likes sterritt, thanatos144 likes this post
    Selected Members Council
    I forgot that Final Fantasy XV was also coming to the Xbox One. That must have disappointed Sony after all of the exclusive hype the game originally had with the PS3.

Personally, I really like Square Enix for its Dragon Quest series but even those games are looking less likely to see a future release in the west, what with no word on Dragon Quest VII for 3DS or Dragon Quest X.
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!

Veteran
    A little place called none of your **** business. United States.
    Items 360 SlimPS3 SlimNaughty Dog
    Had Square actually delivered for Sony, I don't think Sony would have sold it's shares. Why have a part of a company if their games are constant hot garbage and they screw you over every chance they get? Square used to actually mean something in the industry. Their games are over budget, over hyped, and terrible to play. I can't believe I waited for years and years for FFXIII to hit. I played a couple hours of it and just stopped. Such a hot mess. I don't see them going anywere great any time soon judging from their most recent track record. Level 5 is the new Square in my opinion.

I don't really need a water cooler/remote control as of right now.

Forum Overseer

i guess if SE doesn't want to put out exclusives for Sony then it makes less sense to support the company. especially since it's not doing so hot...

but i think Sony is making a mistake. SE has a good chance to come back up again. all they need to do is get their head out of their ass.

Administrator
    SE is a company (especially lately) that puts pride before their creative freedom. It keeps them from making truly great games because they come up with the stupidest excuses I have ever heard from any gaming company for not doing particular things. They also really love to bank on hype and empty promises and their hype holds no weight anymore. My childhood was colored with wonderful memories of Square games, but if they don't get their crap together, they're going to fade away. Hopefully this will humble them to start thinking outside themselves and start being the creative geniuses they once were ... but that might be asking too much of them.

Exclusivity wouldn't matter to me if their games stopped sucking so much. Ironically though, if their games didn't suck so much, they probably wouldn't need to go multi-platform to keep their heads above water.
    Last edited by Brandon; 04-16-2014 at 20:03.

24. Likes AaronSOLDIER likes this post
    Veteran
    Items Manchester United
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    i guess if SE doesn't want to put out exclusives for Sony then it makes less sense to support the company. especially since it's not doing so hot...

but i think Sony is making a mistake. SE has a good chance to come back up again. all they need to do is get their head out of their ass.
    How long would it take to sort their $#@! out tho? The short term gain for sony outweighs the 'if' option....hasn't square enix been on the slide for a few years now? I lost interest after final fantasy VII tbh so outta the loop for a long time...

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk

"Please be excited..."

Wishlist: Jade Cocoon Reboot, Oni Reboot, the next JRPG, Wasteland 2 [coming soon!]
    SotC 2, Fallout 4, next Obsidian Fallout, Project Eternity, Uncharted 4, Divinity [NEW!]
    [South Park: Stick of Truth is pure gaming bliss!]

Master Poster
    Items User name style
    SE hasn't done anything worthwhile for Sony in maybe a decade.

It was disgusting that they kept insisting at every interval that FF Versus 13 was to be a Sony exclusive, only for them to finally change its title and then make it multiplatform.

I would love to see SE crash and burn. I have no love for Final Fantasy at all anymore since John "Lightning" Cena and the FF13 saga started being pushed down our throats.

Thread Information