Latest PSU headlines:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 3
    Superior Member
    Items Final Fantasy IVAtlus
    Good idea Sony. Square jumped ship start of the 360/PS3 generation. Square aint what they once where.
    Playing - Tales of Vesperia (secret missions),Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3
    Awaiting - Tales of Xillia 2, Witcher 3, Xenoblade Chronicles X,Persona Q, Oreshika:Tainted Bloodlines, Tales of Zestiria, KH Birth By Sleep HD, Tales Of Hearts R and Persona 5

Extreme Poster
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    i'm surprised people are saying that it was a good move. maybe last generation but they will probably come back this time. they have no reason to fail. Sony probably sold it because they are trying to trim the fat.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    i'm surprised people are saying that it was a good move. maybe last generation but they will probably come back this time. they have no reason to fail. Sony probably sold it because they are trying to trim the fat.
    Yep theyre definitely trimming the fat especially since Sony forcasted a loss of a billion dollars.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    I'll believe it when I see it, the past 10 years have been pathetic from SE and we're STILL waiting for vs13/15 and are still no closer to a release.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDug13
    I want Naughty Dog to explore new game genres, not regurgitate cinematic corridor shooters for another generation.

Extreme Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronSOLDIER View Post
    I'll believe it when I see it, the past 10 years have been pathetic from SE and we're STILL waiting for vs13/15 and are still no closer to a release.
    last generation was a cluster $#@! of disasters and death of genres. JRPG was one of them...it's not all SE's fault but yes, they could've gotten their $#@! together, they were the only ones that had the ability to do so.

however, things were tough for them likely more than the western developers/publishers

Veteran
    You have to look at it as Sony just being a stockholder for an investment. If anybody remembers, Square and Playstation really grew together with the original Playstation, then started having falling out with each other with the PS2. Square flubbed up with Spirits Within, almost going completely under, and Sony probably thought they could patch things up with Square with Sakaguchi leaving. Sony did have more say with the direction Square was going and really backed FFXIII. Then came the E3 with Mattrick's smug grin, claiming FFXIII for the 360. That was supposed to be a megaton but Square got in a quagmire by completely redoing their Crystal engine.

Sony's share of stock was not buying any influence with the Square-Enix board, it wasn't getting them any deals on exclusives, and it is a very poor performing stock (although somebody made a ton of money because SQNXF skyrocketed to record height about 3 months ago and has since collapsed). As an investment holding, Sony holding on to Square-Enix stock would have been very low return, if not loss. Better for Sony to get the cash back for their own projects.
    Pacing in wait of Sony's imminent DOOM!...since 2006
    PS4 - The Only Hardcore Gaming Console = All Your Baserape Are Belong To Us

Extreme Poster
    oh yea, i get you. i feel the same way. i definitely do understand why they sold it but i think it's one of those you can put under "timing" because i feel like if Sony wasn't trimming the fat, they would've probably put more faith into them. they don't have the time to wait for things to happen now especially how well they've been doing.

they can put that money into something else that they "know" or are confident that it will pan out well.

so yeah, who knows, they might buy more stock later on...or not lol. either way, i still think SE is going to make some sort of a comeback...or they're going to go out of business. now is the perfect time to focus on JRPGs.

Veteran
    Yeah, a lot of people forget or don't know Sony has a Financial Division. All it does is investing in all kinds of financials and last quarter, was one of the best performing divisions:

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/fina.../13q3_sony.pdf

So, looking at Squenix as just an investment stock, investments with better rates of return are more attractive. It looks like there was a huge anticipation and buildup to the Tomb Raider Remastered being some kind of huge cult hit and that didn't happen. Good game but not huge sales. Squenix moving to MMO is a big expense to keep subscribers, especially in the face of Everquestnext being F2P MMO from Sony. Squenix is doing better, just not great and this development time for FFXV is not a good indicator.

9. Likes TidalPhoenix likes this post
    Extreme Poster
    wait, isn't FFXV really FFXIII versus?

SE are doomed lol.

Ultimate Veteran
    wait, isn't FFXV really FFXIII versus?

SE are doomed lol.
    Did you not make this connection when you replied to Aaron's post earlier?

PSU Technical Advisor
    Did anybody play Lightning Returns?

God, that game was so bad it blows my mind. Ugh.

Extreme Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Black View Post
    Did you not make this connection when you replied to Aaron's post earlier?
    no i actually forgot about that lol. i keep thinking FFXV will be a completely new game. oh well...they can always make another...but yeah, they need to just abandon that dumb game.

Ultimate Veteran
    no i actually forgot about that lol. i keep thinking FFXV will be a completely new game. oh well...they can always make another...but yeah, they need to just abandon that dumb game.
    The fact that they renamed it annoys me. Final Fantasy XV could have been the title for a new Final Fantasy by Hiroyuki Ito, conveniently following the title tradition (Final Fantasy VI, IX, XII etc) but no, Square Enix wants us to pretend that we haven't been waiting an entire console generation for Tetsuya Nomura's take on the series.

I could get over that if Square Enix didn't also keep quiet about Dragon Quest VII for 3DS or Dragon Quest X. It's funny how this company loves to announce their projects early, keep us waiting and then go on record to say something along the lines of how they understand their consumers like RPGs. Sell the IP to Level-5 (they develop the games anyway) and I'll be excited.

Kingdom Hearts III? I don't even care. Ridiculous, convoluted story.
    Last edited by Metal King Slime; 04-18-2014 at 01:25.

15. Likes AsterPhoenix, Omar likes this post
    Super Elite
    PSN ID
    robvandam111
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Black View Post
    The fact that they renamed it annoys me. Final Fantasy XV could have been the title for a new Final Fantasy by Hiroyuki Ito, conveniently following the title tradition (Final Fantasy VI, IX, XII etc) but no, Square Enix wants us to pretend that we haven't been waiting an entire console generation for Tetsuya Nomura's take on the series.

I could get over that if Square Enix didn't also keep quiet about Dragon Quest VII for 3DS or Dragon Quest X. It's funny how this company loves to announce their projects early, keep us waiting and then go on record to say something along the lines of how they understand their consumers like RPGs. Sell the IP to Level-5 (they develop the games anyway) and I'll be excited.

Kingdom Hearts III? I don't even care. Ridiculous, convoluted story.

It bugged me as well with the name change. I'd have preferred it as XIII-3...lol. The game wasn't bad at all and at least the story ended in a good note, finally made sense too. Although having the Final Fantasy feeling...it just felt odd playing the demo.

I hope they do bring a FFXII/DQVIII HD Collection.

As for Kingdom Hearts 3. It's about to be a decade since Kingdom Hearts 2 was released. All of these portable games have been filling up the gaps of the scientific research of the heartless and history of the Organization XIII. I can send you a 30 minute ( or more?) from GameTrailers. They did a really good summarizing every thing to clear the smoke and its interesting. Want me to post for you, Black?

3DS: 4613-6960-4293

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by robvandam111 View Post
    It bugged me as well with the name change. I'd have preferred it as XIII-3...lol. The game wasn't bad at all and at least the story ended in a good note, finally made sense too. Although having the Final Fantasy feeling...it just felt odd playing the demo.

I hope they do bring a FFXII/DQVIII HD Collection.

As for Kingdom Hearts 3. It's about to be a decade since Kingdom Hearts 2 was released. All of these portable games have been filling up the gaps of the scientific research of the heartless and history of the Organization XIII. I can send you a 30 minute ( or more?) from GameTrailers. They did a really good summarizing every thing to clear the smoke and its interesting. Want me to post for you, Black?
    No, that's okay. I'm really just not a fan of the series anymore.

Extreme Poster
    "All of these portable games have been filling up the gaps of the scientific research of the heartless and history of the Organization XIII."

lol that sounds awful. why the $#@! is it called XIII? oh maybe because it just happened so that FF was nearing its thirteenth iteration sometimes the japanese make me cringe.

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    robvandam111
    Items User name style
    "All of these portable games have been filling up the gaps of the scientific research of the heartless and history of the Organization XIII."

lol that sounds awful. why the $#@! is it called XIII? oh maybe because it just happened so that FF was nearing its thirteenth iteration sometimes the japanese make me cringe.
    Actually, they have been known since Chain of Memories. And, there's a XIV member.

Despite the long wait. They have already said this will be final game for the "Saga". If there's a Kingdom Hearts IV it'd have to have high expectations. I'm only interested how this trilogy will end.

3DS: 4613-6960-4293

Extreme Poster
    why can't they just make a real $#@!ing final fantasy game for once. jesus!

21. Likes robvandam111 likes this post
    Veteran
    FFXV is starting to sound a lot like Cereberus. Seems Square has difficulties doing action shooters. They should get it out the door as a prequel to a full FFXVI in 2016. Yeah, their development times are getting so long, they don't get enough titles out and that is what is hitting their bottom line. FFXIV was reported a couple weeks ago to have 2 million subscribers but that seems like all platforms combined. It remains to be seen if that grows or tapers off as more F2P MMO come out.

Superior Member
    Items Final Fantasy IVAtlus
    I could imagine if Square the company its turned into these had tons of money they would payed off the percent that Sony owned a while ago. FFXV and KH3 will take years to release i can guarantee that.
    Playing - Tales of Vesperia (secret missions),Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3
    Awaiting - Tales of Xillia 2, Witcher 3, Xenoblade Chronicles X,Persona Q, Oreshika:Tainted Bloodlines, Tales of Zestiria, KH Birth By Sleep HD, Tales Of Hearts R and Persona 5

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    EviL_JoE_DirT
    Items Final Fantasy VII
    ohh square soft how i miss them. ff15 better shine in their favor. i wouldve done the same as sony but on the time when ff13 came out.
    Games playing: nothing Games anticapating: H-Hour: World's Elite, Destiny, Elder Scrolls Online, Planetside 2, MGS5, FFXV, FFXIV, FF X HD, Witcher 3, Rime, War Thunder, Dying Light, ME4, Uncharted

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Followed a link on twitter in which SE said that Sony sold its shares because of their financial problems. SE said Sony helped them by buying those shares when they were having problems so they wanted to return the favor. And no, I cant post links with this browser.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Dude-in-the-Room
    Watch the next FF be a huge hit.

Extreme Poster
    ^I would love to agree with that but the next FF is just FFvsXIII so **** that.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Yeah FF15... um, yeah, see you on PS5 I guess. It's already been 9 years jeez it's gonna pass Duke Nukem Forever at this rate.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDug13
    I want Naughty Dog to explore new game genres, not regurgitate cinematic corridor shooters for another generation.

Thread Information