Latest PSU headlines:

Forum Elder

Microsoft saved Titanfall from cancellation, claims report.

Titanfall wouldn't have been released at all without some last-minute investment from Microsoft, according to a fascinating, book-length report on the game's tumultuous development.

Composed by Spike TV's Geoff Keighley, the Final Hours of Titanfall is a pretty startling read that includes concept artworks and videos of pre-release versions of the game, in addition to a breakdown of Respawn's almost-ruinous legal clash with Activision. It'll set you back 1.69, and is available on iTunes, Steam and the Windows Store.
    Titanfall was planned as a timed Xbox and PC exclusive, due to a shortage of manpower and resources: according to Zampella, the console version would have been Xbox-only for 13 months. EA had other ideas, however. Here's the relevant excerpt:

In order to make the economics work and keep Titanfall alive, EA needed a first-party publisher to invest. Xbox was willing to step up and save the project, which turned out to be a wise bet. Xbox now has one of the biggest games of the year as an exclusive to its platforms, although it lays no claim to any sequels.
    http://www.totalxbox.com/75303/micro...claims-report/

Forum Elder
    Items User name style
    If that's true it looks like EA didn't really believe in the game, EA is big enough they shouldn't need first party developers to save a game. Almost makes it sound like it's fluke that it has done so well. Though that passage flat out contradicts the quote about PS4 and Vita versions, it makes it sound like Sony wouldn't pony up enough cash not that they wouldn't share the specs to the PS4.

3. Likes Two4DaMoney likes this post
    Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Too bad Titanfall couldn't save MS from getting outsold once again in their strongest territory. lol Obviously wasnt the system seller MS thought that it was.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 04-18-2014 at 06:32.

Chocolatier to the Stars
    PSN ID
    TidalPhoenix
    Items New User TitleUser name style
    They can't be happy it got a metacritic score of 60.

I was was playing it last evening. Its gameplay is better than I thought it would be, but my expectations were low to start with. Based on the 10 or so matches I played yesterday I'd have given it a 75. I also think it met have been patched since launch as I saw no frame rate issues. Something I know was a big problem at release.

Certainly not the box shifter they hoped it would be.

​aka Sparc

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparc View Post
    They can't be happy it got a metacritic score of 60.

I was was playing it last evening. Its gameplay is better than I thought it would be, but my expectations were low to start with. Based on the 10 or so matches I played yesterday I'd have given it a 75. I also think it met have been patched since launch as I saw no frame rate issues. Something I know was a big problem at release.

Certainly not the box shifter they hoped it would be.
    Err, it doesn't have a meta critic of 60. It scored 86.

Quote Originally Posted by mistercrow View Post
    Too bad Titanfall couldn't save MS from getting outsold once again in their strongest territory. lol Obviously wasnt the system seller MS thought that it was.
    Its showed some strong legs in the UK, climbing back to number 1 last week.
    Will be interesting to see what it does in America for April.
    Last edited by mynd; 04-18-2014 at 06:50.
    I am no longer participating in these forums, I wish all of you on the PSU Forums the best for the future.

Chocolatier to the Stars
    PSN ID
    TidalPhoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    Err, it doesn't have a meta critic of 60. It scored 86.

Its showed some strong legs in the UK, climbing back to number 1 last week.
    Will be interesting to see what it does in America for April.
    Apologies. I was thinking of Ryse's metacritic score. The rest of my points still stand.

​aka Sparc

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    Err, it doesn't have a meta critic of 60. It scored 86. Its showed some strong legs in the UK, climbing back to number 1 last week. Will be interesting to see what it does in America for April.
    What it did in the UK still doesn't change the fact that MS got outsold in its strongest territory (the US ) despite Titanfall and the Titanfall bundles. Propably wont do much better in April then it did in March tbh. Thats why these different major US retailers have been doing price cuts on the Titanfall bundles including the MS Store. Some have also included 13 months of free Live Gold. As for the UK the last I heard MS got outsold on hardware there too despite Titanfall. So my point still stands. Titanfall is not the system seller MS hoped it would be.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 04-18-2014 at 07:54.

Superior Member
    LOL@ save as if MS did something to help get the project created. They just wanted to attach their name to another third party game as usual because they had nothing else to sell the console, but ti still did not sell the console. This is another sorry tempt by MS to make the X1 appealing.Nothing more.

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkNemesis View Post
    LOL@ save as if MS did something to help get the project created. They just wanted to attach their name to another third party game as usual because they had nothing else to sell the console, but ti still did not sell the console. This is another sorry tempt by MS to make the X1 appealing.Nothing more.
    Isn't that what all games exclusives are supposed to be about?
    I am no longer participating in these forums, I wish all of you on the PSU Forums the best for the future.

Forum Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkNemesis View Post
    Is it not the #1 selling game in the US this past month? And 300,000+ console sales suggests it helped?

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Its not a system seller because people can buy it for 360 and PC.

13. Likes Christopher likes this post
    Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by Yungstar 2006 View Post
    Is it not the #1 selling game in the US this past month? And 300,000+ console sales suggests it helped?
    Sure.....the discounted TF bundle boosted both the X1 and TF. Wish we had software numbers. Infamous SS didn't come out until the 21st but we know it hit one million sales in April. Would be interesting to factor in TF's 10 day head start.

Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    Its not a system seller because people can buy it for 360 and PC.
    Yep. And that was a question that folks had brought up many times. Would the 360/PC version keep folks from jumping to X1. Guess so.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

I'm A Monster!
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Yungstar 2006 View Post
    Agree.
    It definitely moved consoles whether you want to accept it or not. The demand for the PS4 is greater than the demand is for 1 game, but there definitely has been XB1 consoles sold for that game.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Sig By FinalReaper.
    Socom/Trophy Card.

Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    I'm glad they did. It a good online shooter.

Super Elite
    It just seems rather desperate from Microsoft to pay EA for this one game.
    Sent from my computer using keyboard.

PSU Technical Advisor
    I can totally believe this, because the game sucks and it really feels like they didn't have the resources to muster up a competent and polished title.

It's so raw and barebones.

Feels like an Indie title or a beta.

Friendship is Carrots
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulgotha View Post
    I can totally believe this, because the game sucks and it really feels like they didn't have the resources to muster up a competent and polished title.

It's so raw and barebones.

Feels like an Indie title or a beta.
    I played it over at my cousin's about a week ago. I thought it was really fun. I love the parkour inclusion and seeing mechs storm around the battlefield. It all felt very fluid and enjoyable. No more corridor shooting. I'm so bored of that crap.

But it was definitely barebones. Not sure how all that dev money stretched only as far as some mechs and 15 multiplayer maps. Average graphics, no campaign, and even basic multiplayer features missing... not worth 60$ at all. It's more a 15-20$ range. Not sure what went on during development to cause this, but I have to place some level of incompetence or laziness on the developers.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

PSU Technical Advisor
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    I played it over at my cousin's about a week ago. I thought it was really fun. I love the parkour inclusion and seeing mechs storm around the battlefield. It all felt very fluid and enjoyable. No more corridor shooting. I'm so bored of that crap.

But it was definitely barebones. Not sure how all that dev money stretched only as far as some mechs and 15 multiplayer maps. Average graphics, no campaign, and even basic multiplayer features missing... not worth 60$ at all. It's more a 15-20$ range. Not sure what went on during development to cause this, but I have to place some level of incompetence or laziness on the developers.

Right. For me, it "sucks" because I paid 2-3x more than what it was really worth. I'm also greatly annoyed at the carte blanche the gaming press wrote for it, beyond a few of the more honest and critical ones.

One only has to read the IGN preview to see the kind of insanity going on.

Chocolatier to the Stars
    PSN ID
    TidalPhoenix
    The game is surprisingly fun to play. I like it but I agree it is bare bones

​aka Sparc

Thread Information