Page 1 of 5 1 ... LastLast
    Selected Members Council
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Items Title StyleVitaPS3 Slim

IGN Report: PlayStation 4 is Winning the War. What's Next?

Really interesting read I found so thought I would post it here for others to hopefully enjoy:

Almost immediately after PlayStation 4 launched in mid-November of 2013, it was clear that Sony was on to something. The company managed to sell a million PS4s in 24 hours, and the console was only out in North America. It was an incredible victory for a company that previously announced over a million PS4 pre-orders that were presumed to be spread across multiple territories, from the US to Sony's stronghold of Europe to its home country of Japan.

Suddenly, PlayStation 4 was a true force with its record-setting sales, though the writing was on the wall since the console's reveal that February. Sony was doing everything right. It was doing what Greg and I pleaded for it to do for years on Podcast Beyond by focusing on the hardcore gamer. Sure, PS4 can play Blu-rays and boot-up Netflix, but who cares? You buy a gaming console for games; everything else is icing on the cake. Sony's message, especially when juxtaposed to Microsoft's "TV, Sports, Call of Duty"-centric approach, has clearly won-out so far.

Fast-forward some six months after PlayStation 4's launch, where saying that Sony has a commanding lead over Microsoft at this early point is an understatement. PlayStation 4 has sold over 7 million units. Each of those consoles is in consumers' hands, attached to a television in their homes. Microsoft, on the other hand, has shipped 5 million units, and perhaps half a million or more are still sitting on store shelves. PlayStation 4s are hard to find. There are more Xbox Ones than the market currently demands.

Two or three million consoles isn't an insurmountable lead to overcome by any stretch of the imagination, but the fact that Sony has managed to sustain -- and extend -- its lead at a time when Xbox One's ace in the hole, Titanfall, was launched, says a lot. Titanfall was March, 2014's best-selling game in the US, and yet PlayStation 4 still outsold Xbox One. Even more interesting is that PlayStation 4 isn't selling well in Japan, Sony's safe haven, meaning that the brand's new-found strength rests solely in territories that may have felt more lukewarm about its predecessor. Xbox One hasn't yet launched in Japan.

Crazier yet -- and perhaps even confusingly -- is the fact that PlayStation 4 has sold so well with very few must-have games. Infamous: Second Son was the very first post-release PS4 exclusive with real weight and consequence behind it, and while it sold a million copies right off the bat, PlayStation 4, at that point, was already soundly beating its competition. It only took a few months for it to outsell Wii U and put itself comfortably in front of Xbox One, and it did so with Killzone, Resogun, and Knack, not God of War, Uncharted, and Gran Turismo. This illustrates that the winning equation Sony has stumbled upon with PlayStation 4 goes far, far deeper than meets the eye.

The first piece of the equation is no doubt price. When Sony abandoned the PlayStation Camera as a bundled-in device, it was playing chess while Microsoft, sticking by Kinect, was playing checkers. It allowed the company to undercut its competition by $100, lessening sticker shock and giving it a direct value proposition comparison. Sony showed flexibility, foresight, and adaptability, essential business traits it wasn't exactly known for during the PlayStation 3 era. Microsoft, meanwhile, bet on Kinect and the added value -- both in experience and real money -- it would add to Xbox One. Needless to say, the market has spoken, and I wouldn't be surprised to see a Kinect-less Xbox One in the coming months. (Ironically, PlayStation Camera is still so popular that it's nearly impossible to find. Choice matters.)

The second component is perception. I was at the PlayStation 4 reveal in February of 2013, and I sat near the stage at Sony's E3 press conference several months later. The vibe you saw and felt during live streams of those events was real. Sony was nailing every point it had to and engendering themselves to the hardcore gamers that would buy PlayStation 4 and sustain its viability for years to come. There were no audible groans and laughs like there might have been in years past (think PlayStation Move or Vita's connectivity with AT&T); now there was yelling, screaming, and applause. The excitement was as palpable as it was authentic.

When Microsoft revealed Xbox One, it did the exact opposite by hammering home the console's interconnectivity and its place in your home not as a games console, but as an entertainment device. By the time Microsoft realized the error of its ways and attempted to pivot, it was too late, at least where perception is concerned. While I often think we overstate the importance of the hardcore market on overall gaming trends, the fact remains that what we all witnessed with PlayStation 4 and Xbox One as 2013 rolled on worked its way into mainstream press and the greater consumer consciousness. The numbers readily play this out. Xbox One is a quality machine that I use almost every day, but I rarely use it to play games, and that says it all.

The final aspect of PlayStation 4's success is perhaps the hardest to grasp, but I think it's potentially salient: Sony understands where console gaming is going, and they understood it way before their competitors. We already covered their greater focus on hardcore gaming, but not the fact that they've infiltrated the indie scene in ways Nintendo and Microsoft could only dream. Big releases may be scarce -- and those big releases are indeed essential to selling a console over the long run -- but PS4 has new games virtually every week to fill in these gaps. And frankly, it's not hard to find an indie game far, far better than a vast majority of what's being released at retail, whether on PS4 or elsewhere. (This is ironic considering that it was Microsoft, not Sony, which first identified the intrinsic value of smaller indie games to a console's viability.)

But as I Tweeted yesterday, context is also important in an intellectually honest conversation. PlayStation 4 is setting sales records, but when you look at historic console sales, Xbox One is trending well above average. Indeed, its shipped numbers are just below Wii's -- the previous victor before PS4 came on the scene -- meaning that Xbox One is arguably the third quickest-selling console in industry history. That's nothing to scoff at. This makes one thing clear: PlayStation 4's success doesn't necessarily come at the expense of Xbox One. In fact, Xbox One and PlayStation 4 combined in their respective first six or so months on the market are outselling Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 by a wide margin, indicating that, in this case, a high tide may just raise all boats.

The future, as you'd imagine, is far murkier and harder to predict, and I'm not necessarily convinced that PlayStation 4 is going to run away with the race in perpetuity. Let's not forget that Xbox 360 was completely trouncing PlayStation 3 -- for literally years -- and that PS3, over the long run, narrowed the gap, reaching and sustaining complete sales parity after a long, hard-fought struggle. Microsoft is more than capable of doing this with Xbox One, especially when the sales situation isn't nearly as dire for them as it was for Sony with PlayStation 3. They have the means, the smarts, and the will to change the status quo.

Sony has sold PlayStation 4 with few must-have games, but the market that wants the console just to have it shrinks every time someone purchases one. Before long, Sony will need to deliver those triple-A goods, and the truth is that, at least in 2014, the company doesn't have much. The Order: 1886 is supposed to come out this year, and the much-delayed Driveclub is, too, and that's basically it. While Sony could have more to show at E3 -- and will have much more in the years to come, like Uncharted 4 -- Microsoft's upcoming catalog in the immediate future is far stronger. Project Spark, Sunset Overdrive, Quantum Break, and the much-rumored Halo 2 Anniversary could easily even the playing field. Yes, Titanfall was counterbalanced by Infamous: Second Son, but what does Sony have to battle each of those games as the year wears on?

So yes, PlayStation 4 is winning the war. It's winning it with an ear aimed firmly at the hardcore gamer, and the proof is in the pudding that Sony's strategy is working, and working well. But the war is far from over, and Sony needs to continue to perform at a high level to keep its momentum going. There's nothing more threatening than a desperate opponent.

The only thing we know for sure is that the constant droning-on in years past about the death of console gaming -- especially after Wii U's tepid launch -- was incorrect. Console gaming is, numerically, as healthy as it's ever been.
    PSN ID: Duffman19864

Twitter ID: Duffman1986

Twitch ID: http://www.twitch.tv/duffman041986/profile

PSU Direct Email: adam.duffield@psu.com

My Youtube Gaming Channel - Now with commentary: Duffman Gaming

Veteran
    Items Manchester United
    Good article. I believe the last gen's length mean't people were ready for a new console long before that generation had finished (not literally..obviously). Flooding the market with indie games is fine, as long as we get a mix of AAA games with it...i love the variety in indie games so far, tho i can't wait for the games to really work the ps4 hardware wise.

3. Likes TheLoveThief likes this post
    Veteran
    I'm on the Sony side of things, but really? The generation just started. We don't know what either side has up its sleeve. Don't bank on Morpheus being the kind of economic game changer that would alter any pathways, even though VR will finally be out of the womb (VB was most definitely a miscarriage). As for MS, they will likely try mostly to moneyhat with timed exclusives like Titanfall (Titanfall 2 is almost certainly hitting PS4, though the deniers would just say they meant "other" games they would be making), but they will both be hunting for software and features that will give them an edge... Who knows what game changers will actually hit on either side.

Remember 360 held a lead over PS3 for a LONG time, with the PS3 holding inferior ports, getting things later, and even missing out on DLC. Just tons of little insults. That turned around (worldwide, anyhow, if not in the US or UK specifically) so the same could happen with the Xbone. Gamers have short memory, so their anti-consumer BS (and don't bother bringing up Steam, it's different by nature) will be a distant memory, and it will be up to the games. I think Sony has a stronger first party and "second" party than MS, but MS is great at securing the 3rd party exclusives, and they tend to pick winners (at least until they BUY the studios, then they tend to die... *coughrarecough* )

Glad Sony bought Sucker Punch and Naughty Dog outright, in any case.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    Nah don't see it bobtheduck, manufacturers supporting there hardware post launch with in house 1st party games and new ip goes to Sony, ms held the lead last gen because they had the cheaper hardware and most 3rd party games were associated with the 360 which also had the better looking 3rd party games. This time around, they both launched at the same time, Sony has the cheaper hardware and the better performing machine on top of that there 1st party dev team is second to none! I really don't see how this supposed tide is suppose to turn unless Sony seriously starts ****ing up with dead systems and lack of first party support for the console (don't see that happening).

I mean it's good to stay rational and optimistic but at the same time, we have to be realistic when looking at things. The playstation is a bigger name than the Xbox and that is showing once again. Struggling Sony last gen was Sony at its best (to me, the first party support was out the roof) Let's see how ms does coming from behind...last time they called it quits after 4 years on the market

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Superior Member

What next?

Game devs switch PS4 as lead platform as compared to X1 being lead platform.

Devs currently makes games for lowest common denominator and add stuff to PS4. Just like AC4 did. It was originally 900P, but then they patched 1080P.

Once devs make PS4 lead plat, then games won't be made to lowest denominator. It will better take advantage of the power gap.

Fire the space harpoons!
    PSN ID
    TidalPhoenix
    Items New User TitleUser name style
    Over 12k comments to the original article! That's got to be a record for IGN.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2014/04/1...war-whats-next

​aka Sparc

Entropy isn't what it used be

Forum Elder
    What the hell is this?

"Sony has sold PlayStation 4 with few must have games" True.

" the order is coming out this year and the much delayed Drive Club and that's basically it"

are we selectively forgetting a few things here?

"Microsoft upcoming catalog in the immediate future is far stronger"

sounds like a fan to me.

Go read your own upcoming games list bot.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by chrisw26308; 04-19-2014 at 16:27.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

9. Likes victorijapoosp likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by AttackTitan View Post
    What next? Game devs switch PS4 as lead platform as compared to X1 being lead platform. Devs currently makes games for lowest common denominator and add stuff to PS4. Just like AC4 did. It was originally 900P, but then they patched 1080P. Once devs make PS4 lead plat, then games won't be made to lowest denominator. It will better take advantage of the power gap.
    Infinity Ward has actually said that their future COD games will lead on PS4. So yeah, its already starting to happen.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    [QUOTE=chrisw26308;6330557]What the hell is this? "Sony has sold PlayStation 4 with few must have games" True. " the order is coming out this year and the much delayed Drive Club and that's basically it" are we selectively forgetting a few things here?/QUOTE] Yep he forgot MLB The Show on May 6. Best sports series ever imo.

Forum Elder
    [QUOTE=mistercrow;6330575]
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisw26308 View Post
    What the hell is this? "Sony has sold PlayStation 4 with few must have games" True. " the order is coming out this year and the much delayed Drive Club and that's basically it" are we selectively forgetting a few things here?/QUOTE] Yep he forgot MLB The Show on May 6. Best sports series ever imo.
    Lol dude. How did he forget MLB show and planetside?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

13. Likes victorijapoosp likes this post
    Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Items User name styleOne Piece
    ^^ Maybe he forget a few games out there, but he only counts AAA games and mlb definitely not. I also agree with him almost every word, what sony need is to feed the hunger of gamers on E3, or they will lose this amazing hype and momentum they achieved thanks to MS and Nintendo.
    (_)
    ( _)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

MyAnimeList

Stop preordering games! Stop buying day1 games! Stop being idiots!

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Shingo View Post
    ^^ Maybe he forget a few games out there, but he only counts AAA games and mlb definitely not. I also agree with him almost every word, what sony need is to feed the hunger of gamers on E3, or they will lose this amazing hype and momentum they achieved thanks to MS and Nintendo.
    MLB The Show is definitely AAA. Just because you dont like it doesn't mean its not.

16. Likes Peregrin8X, victorijapoosp , Omar likes this post
    Forum Overseer

Quote Originally Posted by Sparc View Post
    Over 12k comments to the original article! That's got to be a record for IGN.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2014/04/1...war-whats-next
    lol look at the headline. yeah, i'm surprised others haven't milked the war debates yet like 8 years ago.

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercrow View Post
    MLB The Show is definitely AAA. Just because you dont like it doesn't mean its not.
    In which way it is an AAA, please explain? Has it a huge budget ? I don't think so, does it get highest scores , like 90+ from reviews ? no again. Does it sell millions, no again ( I am guessing again) , how come a game like that becomes an AAA.. Or I don't know what AAA means.
    (_)
    ( _)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

MyAnimeList

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    In which way it is an AAA, please explain? Has it a huge budget ? I don't think so, does it get highest scores , like 90+ from reviews ? no again. Does it sell millions, no again ( I am guessing again) , how come a game like that becomes an AAA.. Or I don't know what AAA means.
    So any game not 90+ on metacritic isnt AAA? Dumbest thing I ever heard. And do you have proof that its a low budget game? Sure doesn't look low budget. And it has to sell millions? Wow, I guess games like infamous and the majority of Sony's first party games aren't AAA either. lol Your criteria is a sad reflection of how alot of forum gamers think nowadays. Thankfully theyre not the majority market.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 04-19-2014 at 20:23.

20. Likes Peregrin8X, victorijapoosp likes this post
    Forum Overseer

you know what, you do have a good point there. i didn't realize the game only sold like a mil. but i wouldn't discount the reviews just because they're not above 90. it did get over 90 in 2010 but has been steadily declining since then.

which is normal for yearly sports games. fact of the matter is, MLB the Show is known to have a really good presentation, really good graphics and it's supposed to be the best baseball game.

so from those aspects, it can be seen as an AAA game. if not budget. then again, it's Sony in-house so we don't really know what the budget is because they are so efficient with their ****.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    you know what, you do have a good point there. i didn't realize the game only sold like a mil. but i wouldn't discount the reviews just because they're not above 90. it did get over 90 in 2010 but has been steadily declining since then. which is normal for yearly sports games. fact of the matter is, MLB the Show is known to have a really good presentation, really good graphics and it's supposed to be the best baseball game. so from those aspects, it can be seen as an AAA game. if not budget. then again, it's Sony in-house so we don't really know what the budget is because they are so efficient with their ****.
    Definitley the best baseball game out there. Takes a giant dump on MLB 2k.

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercrow View Post
    So any game not 90+ on metacritic isnt AAA? Dumbest thing I ever heard. And do you have proof that its a low budget game? Sure doesn't look low budget. And it has to sell millions? Wow, I guess games like infamous and the majority of Sony's first party games aren't AAA either. lol Your criteria is a sad reflection of how alot of forum gamers think nowadays. Thankfully theyre not the majority market.
    I just wanna say one thing about your comment, Your AAA is nowhere near an actual AAA, whatever you think of "your awesome" game, MLB, it is your awesome game. Maybe it is best baseball game, but if it doesn't get millions of gamers, attention of majority, both gaming press and gamers, it basicly does not count an AAA game. MLB is not a AAA game, it isn't even and A game, it is a clear B game. Sorry for telling the truth about your fav game.

We can take this argument to it is own topic if you like, we are moving off-topic here alittle.
    (_)
    ( _)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

MyAnimeList

Forum Overseer

I just wanna say one thing about your comment, Your AAA is nowhere near an actual AAA, whatever you think of "your awesome" game, MLB, it is your awesome game. Maybe it is best baseball game, but if it doesn't get millions of gamers, attention of majority, both gaming press and gamers, it basicly does not count an AAA game. MLB is not a AAA game, it isn't even and A game, it is a clear B game. Sorry for telling the truth about your fav game.

We can take this argument to it is own topic if you like, we are moving off-topic here alittle.
    So COD games are AAA games? it's not just about sales. it's about the entire package. maybe it's not as AAA game but it's definitely at least an A.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    I just wanna say one thing about your comment, Your AAA is nowhere near an actual AAA, whatever you think of "your awesome" game, MLB, it is your awesome game. Maybe it is best baseball game, but if it doesn't get millions of gamers, attention of majority, both gaming press and gamers, it basicly does not count an AAA game. MLB is not a AAA game, it isn't even and A game, it is a clear B game. Sorry for telling the truth about your fav game. We can take this argument to it is own topic if you like, we are moving off-topic here alittle.
    Really? I've seen plenty of press coverage on it as well as preview videos. You must be hiding under a rock. lol And It usually sells about 1 million copies. Pretty good for a sports game thats only released in the US. And you aren't telling me the truth about anything. Youre just stating your uninformed opinion as if it was fact. And where did I say it was my "favorite" game? lol My favorite sports game perhaps. Anyway you believe what you want since you have your mind made up anyway, while I enjoying playing it on May 6. See ya.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 04-19-2014 at 20:54.

Veteran
    What's next is E3 and the picture is going to look a lot more clear. The recent sales chart of PS4 shows a steady growth of sales, indicating that is as fast as Sony can manufacture them. The PS4 has already won global sales, there is no way MS can recover from the mud hole they have dug themselves into. Still no bleep about Tier 2 launch. Mums the word on Kinect2. Can't believe there are people still clinging to the "MS plays their cards close to their chest" blurb. Maybe so, but they only seem to be holding a pair of deuces. This hope that DX12 and the "cloud" providing twice the performance increase is a real laugh. Everybody knows OpenGL follows DX development, feature for feature. The "cloud" is server side compute with good broadband being the given assumption. Sony has plenty of cloud nodes all over the planet. MMO were cloud before cloud became a buzzword, and Sony has been in the MMO business a long time, with PS Now rolling out.

The XBO ended up finalizing with late 2012 hardware. The PS4 was finalized with early 2013 hardware. There is no way to beat that gap, just in the GPU alone. Who has ever been able to get drivers updated to make their previous generation GPU on their PC the equivalent of a new GPU? If that were possible, there would be no graphics card industry. This E3 is going to be so awesome.
    Pacing in wait of Sony's imminent DOOM!...since 2006
    PS4 - The Only Hardcore Gaming Console = All Your Baserape Are Belong To Us

27. Likes Peregrin8X, mistercrow likes this post
    Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Have fun with your MLB bro, c y too

Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    So COD games are AAA games? it's not just about sales. it's about the entire package. maybe it's not as AAA game but it's definitely at least an A.
    I hate COD like no other, but it is an AAA game , i guess, since the Standards not set in stone.

Lets try to categorise last gen games.

AAA - COD, Fifa, Last Of Us, Uncharted, Gears Of War, Halo, Skyrim, BioShock, Tomb Raider, GTA V , RDR, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, AC Series...

A - Civilization 5, LBP, Infamous, SF IV, Borderlands (A, A+) , Soul Series, Max Payne 3, Dishonored, Splinter Cell....

These are the games I remember at the moment, and I decided who is who but most of you will agree with those. Not just you but gaming cominity. This is what I was saying , it is all about community nothing else. This is the only reason COD is in there. I don't see MLB with those games , it will just look wierd, if someone disagrees, good for them.
    (_)
    ( _)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

MyAnimeList

Forum Overseer

Have fun with your MLB bro, c y too

I hate COD like no other, but it is an AAA game , i guess, since the Standards not set in stone.

Lets try to categorise last gen games.

AAA - COD, Fifa, Last Of Us, Uncharted, Gears Of War, Halo, Skyrim, BioShock, Tomb Raider, GTA V , RDR, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, AC Series...

A - Civilization 5, LBP, Infamous, SF IV, Borderlands (A, A+) , Soul Series, Max Payne 3, Dishonored, Splinter Cell....

These are the games I remember at the moment, and I decided who is who but most of you will agree with those. Not just you but gaming cominity. This is what I was saying , it is all about community nothing else. This is the only reason COD is in there. I don't see MLB with those games , it will just look wierd, if someone disagrees, good for them.
    lol something wrong with that list man. sorry. some games are definitely AAA like you said but you're just going off by sales.

i guess we might as well add Farmville to the list.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    Lol Minecraft AAAAAA!! Wii fit AAAAAAA! Going by shingo hahaha

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

31. Likes victorijapoosp , Omar likes this post
    Forum Overseer

Wii Fit has the most sales of any game ever made...last time i checked, it was 70m+

hell, farmville had more users total i think. could've sworn about 250m people had played farmville at one point or another.

Thread Information