Duffman19864
    Items Title StyleVitaPS3 Slim
    Man I wonder why so many of their staff have left recently
    PSN ID: Duffman19864

Twitter ID: Duffman1986

Twitch ID: http://www.twitch.tv/duffman041986/profile

My Youtube Gaming Channel - Now with commentary: Duffman Gaming

Forum Elder
    Can't handle the awesomeness of the new uncharted.

Hundreds of people work on these teams, everyone is replaceable.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'm not worried. According to PSU's own article... "His profile confirms that he was not involved in the creation of the next Uncharted game, currently in the works for PS4." Looks like there may be some kind of shake up going on at ND, but it's all speculation at this point.

PSU Live Streamer
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparc View Post
    Just hearing yet another person leaves ND. Their Lead Character Artist - Michael Knowland

Time to rename ND to "The Last of Us"
    I chuckled lol

Come find me on Twitch.tv!

Forum Overseer
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by SkarEffect View Post
    And yet another person leaves. Still not concerned?
    lol. let me show you something.

"Naughty Dog lead character artist Michael Knowland has left the studio following his work on last year's The Last of Us, upperannuation reports.
    Knowland worked with Naughty Dog for more than three years, with over two years dedicated to the critical and commercial hit The Last of Us. Knowland worked previously at Elite: Dangerous studio Frontier Developments."

how long as ND been successful? Since they made the first crash bandicoot.

you think they never had people quit and more importantly, join the company? jeez you people lol.

if you worked on a game like TLOU, everyone wants you, it's not odd to take up on someone's offer if it's something you can't refuse.

the reason why this is becoming big news is because they are a top developer, when the reality is that crap like this happens all the time.

it's a company's culture that makes it successful, not necessarily a few people from within. they hire good people, that's what keeps them successful. you think they can't hire another lead artist that could possibly bring something new to the table?

was this guy better than their UC artist? really, there's tons of great people out there, it's all about how good the company is at hiring people and how happy their employees are. which are all part of the culture.

6. Likes Christopher , jaynet333 likes this post
    Superior Member
    PSN ID
    SkarEffect
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    lol. let me show you something.

"Naughty Dog lead character artist Michael Knowland has left the studio following his work on last year's The Last of Us, upperannuation reports.
    Knowland worked with Naughty Dog for more than three years, with over two years dedicated to the critical and commercial hit The Last of Us. Knowland worked previously at Elite: Dangerous studio Frontier Developments."

how long as ND been successful? Since they made the first crash bandicoot.

you think they never had people quit and more importantly, join the company? jeez you people lol.

if you worked on a game like TLOU, everyone wants you, it's not odd to take up on someone's offer if it's something you can't refuse.

the reason why this is becoming big news is because they are a top developer, when the reality is that crap like this happens all the time.

it's a company's culture that makes it successful, not necessarily a few people from within. they hire good people, that's what keeps them successful. you think they can't hire another lead artist that could possibly bring something new to the table?

was this guy better than their UC artist? really, there's tons of great people out there, it's all about how good the company is at hiring people and how happy their employees are. which are all part of the culture.
    People come and go, but like I stated.. when people are leaving, within weeks of each other. It makes you think what the hell is going on.

Master Guru
    Items FuturamaGoogle ChromeAmerican DadHalf-Life 2Battlefield 3User name style
    Isn't The Last of Us being touted as possibly ND's best game? And A lot of people's favourite game from last gen?

And yet losing a major part of that team is somehow not a problem... It seems like just because this is ND and people can't bare the idea something might be up, let's just keep saying it's fine.

there's tons of great people out there, it's all about how good the company is at hiring people and how happy their employees are. which are all part of the culture.
    Maybe the reason a lot of people are leaving is because they're not all that happy?

Again, I don't know, and am not saying that something terrible is definitely going on. But it seems like a lot of people are completely ignoring the fact that it could be.

Don't Steal. Don't Molest Little Children. Don't Deal Drugs.

Forum Overseer
    of course the people who left weren't happy, my point was that it only matters if the rest of the working employees are. leads are easier to replace, they don't do the actual work, they direct it.

i'd think Amy Henig's leave may have had to do with the direction she didn't agree with, possibly. It's also possible that the offer she received was something she wanted more.

you have to understand that UC is an old franchise, it needs a reboot. If UC4 isn't, it probably will moving forward. even if it's not an official reboot, we will likely see different gameplay come UC5...that is if they still want to stay relevant.

TLOU 2 sequel may be in the works but it's still too early. this is the time to change your job, not during the production. that doesn't look good on you. this is when people get offers from other companies.

i work at a disability company and everyone that i knew 2 years ago, left. and we couldn't be doing better because our culture is awesome. and our new employees are just as good if not better. this is possible.

layoffs are normal, and i'm sure it's happening in other companies too, we just don't hear about it.

of course one can argue either way, my basis for staying optimistic is that this isn't abnormal and they have been successful for almost two decades...straight up. 2 decades. they aren't going to roll over and die because a few people left the company that didn't necessarily make it to where it is now.

people think Henig is the best thing since sliced bread...probably because she's a woman. we don't have many women writers in this industry, they get put up on a pedastal. i'm sure they'll be fine.
    Last edited by Omar; 04-28-2014 at 16:23.

10. Likes darky89 likes this post
    Master Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    Someone throw this thread in my face if Uncharted 4 turns out bad. Until then, I'm not worried for various reasons.

12. Likes Christopher likes this post
    Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by darky89 View Post
    And yet losing a major part of that team is somehow not a problem... It seems like just because this is ND and people can't bare the idea something might be up, let's just keep saying it's fine.
    You're doing the same thing you realize that right? No one is saying everything is fine; people just aren't jumping to any conclusions because naughtydog has yet to release a game after this. We can't say one way or the other how they will be affected by this.

The result of this remain to be seen.

Again, I don't know, and am not saying that something terrible is definitely going on. But it seems like a lot of people are completely ignoring the fact that it could be.
    You're not? You very much are. People are hoping that nothing is wrong; there is a difference between that and stating what is actually happening which is what we don't know.

You have strongly been suggesting that something is up (based on people leaving) and it may not be a good thing.

People leave. New ones join. People have left ND before this and have joined ND before this. It's a point of discussion now because where ND is right now.

--

Anyhow, I think, what is a little concerning is that they are leaving ND now, after Uncharted + The Last of Us.

It seems to me that it is all connected. We'll see what comes of this.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisw26308 View Post
    Can't handle the awesomeness of the new uncharted.

Hundreds of people work on these teams, everyone is replaceable.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
    Replaceable? sure....but doesn't mean the people who replace them will be just as dedicated, etc. No guarantee there.

--

I am reading around the internet that people left ND during their transition from PS2 to PS3. I am not sure who...and how many but it is something.
    Last edited by sainraja; 04-28-2014 at 17:28.

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by Two4DaMoney View Post
    Someone throw this thread in my face if Uncharted 4 turns out bad. Until then, I'm not worried for various reasons.
    That's the way I look at it. Let's see how the games turn out. Except for Hennig, I've never heard of any of these people who have left. Suddenly I'm supposed to be worried that ND doesn't know how to make great games anymore?

how will I ever sleep?

My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

The Dawkness!
    PSN ID
    ElNaxi
    people think Henig is the best thing since sliced bread...probably because she's a woman. we don't have many women writers in this industry, they get put up on a pedastal. i'm sure they'll be fine.
    I don't know who says that, but the way she was discredited was disrespectful. She had a big role, and discrediting that is like doing the same to other creative directors like Ken Levine, Hideo Kojima and even Neil Druckmann/Bruce Straley.

I'm not worried about ND, these do seem mostly like independent contractors.

My name isn't a misspelled Nazi,god****.

PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    My guess is a lot of these people were loyal to Amy Hennig, or they didnt like how she left

Sig&Av by Kuro

Preorders:
    FarCry4DragonAge3DyingLightOrder1886Witcher3Batman:AKUncharted4

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by sainraja View Post
    Anyhow, I think, what is a little concerning is that they are leaving ND now, after Uncharted + The Last of Us.
    it's the same reasons higher ups have quit recently too. it can either be that they didn't agree with the company or they did really well. both times, they have gone out at their peak or before it became a disaster. think about phil harrison and previous Xbox boss (ya know things break guy) at EA. they both left cause they weren't going to go higher than that.
    Replaceable? sure....but doesn't mean the people who replace them will be just as dedicated, etc. No guarantee there.
    and that goes back to what i was saying, it depends on the culture. if MS hires a studio, they generally don't see the success Sony does...why? because Sony knows how to make a good culture, they do it by unifying their teams, giving them freedom to the extent we don't see the likes of publishers doing much.

their culture keeps them successful, not necessarily what studios they buy or sell. they can turn a small company into something big. that's due to the experience they have.

the same can be applied to ND. they are successful because of their company culture, they have been continuously successful since their first game on the PS1. they know what they're doing. it's not the people that make them successful, it's them that make those people successful.

if they keep that going, it doesn't matter who leaves, because it is up to them to hire the next person that they know is worth being in their company. e.g. do any of you think that Bungie didn't lose a bunch of people when they left MS? but it doesn't matter because they kept their culture with them and looking at Destiny, i have no doubt they will see a very successful title.

culture is extremely important and very easily ignored.
    Quote Originally Posted by Naxi View Post
    I don't know who says that, but the way she was discredited was disrespectful. She had a big role, and discrediting that is like doing the same to other creative directors like Ken Levine, Hideo Kojima and even Neil Druckmann/Bruce Straley.

UC2 is great but it's a little overhyped. she is definitely replaceable.

Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple

I seemed to have missed reading about how she was discredited. By someone at Naughty Dog?
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.

The Dawkness!
    PSN ID
    ElNaxi
    UC2 is great but it's a little overhyped. she is definitely replaceable.
    That is not as easy as you're making it sound. It's not only Uncharted, her work for Legacy of Kain has been highly regarded. ND has talent, but it's not like there's an abundance of that everywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    I seemed to have missed reading about how she was discredited. By someone at Naughty Dog?
    No, I'm talking about a few people in this forum and other sites.

That is not as easy as you're making it sound. It's not only Uncharted, her work for Legacy of Kain has been highly regarded. ND has talent, but it's not like there's an abundance of that everywhere.
    No, I'm talking about a few people in this forum and other sites.
    Ah....ok. Everyone is replaceable, but that doesn't mean she wasn't a great storyteller for Naughty Dog.

Selected Members Council
    She should definitely be recognized for creating Uncharted as well as her previous works. No doubt about that. It's because IGN claimed that Amy Hennig was forced out by Neil Druckmann and Bruce Straley, who happen to be credited with work on Uncharted 2 and The Last of Us, that this is really blowing up. I think we all know there likely won't be any major repurcussions so let's just move on.
    Last edited by Metal King Slime; 04-28-2014 at 19:29.
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!

22. Likes Christopher likes this post
    Forum Overseer
    everywhere...in the industry?

i'm not saying she didn't have talent but you're putting the person on a pedastal. UC series isn't legendary. it won a lot of awards but really, it's a casual title at best and while it has some fun dialogues, it's nothing that can't be redone by someone else.

she direct Legacy of Kain but she wasn't known for it as much as she was known for UC series. that is because she was at a company that truly showed her potential. if you notice, she always hops when she has reached her peak.

UC3 was kinda going downhill, no one can deny that. i'm enjoying the game at the moment and i think it is as good as UC2 but i also think the series is a bit overrated. it lacks in gameplay but makes it up in dialogue and storyline.

it's possible she wanted a new direction, as has been her pattern, she seems versatile, does not stick with one genre. but if you think she can't be replaced, well...you think too much of her.

She isn't the same as Kojima...she is in the same vicinity but not in the same VIP room. Kojima is a legend and has proven himself over and over again. whereas this lady does well but not always.

though i think she will do really well at star wars...she tends to do better when she hops.

The Dawkness!
    PSN ID
    ElNaxi
    I just think she took the opportunity to work on the Star Wars franchise.

i'm not saying she didn't have talent but you're putting the person on a pedastal. UC series isn't legendary. it won a lot of awards but really, it's a casual title at best and while it has some fun dialogues, it's nothing that can't be redone by someone else.

she direct Legacy of Kain but she wasn't known for it as much as she was known for UC series. that is because she was at a company that truly showed her potential. if you notice, she always hops when she has reached her peak.

UC3 was kinda going downhill, no one can deny that. i'm enjoying the game at the moment and i think it is as good as UC2 but i also think the series is a bit overrated. it lacks in gameplay but makes it up in dialogue and storyline.

it's possible she wanted a new direction, as has been her pattern, she seems versatile, does not stick with one genre. but if you think she can't be replaced, well...you think too much of her.

She isn't the same as Kojima...she is in the same vicinity but not in the same VIP room. Kojima is a legend and has proven himself over and over again. whereas this lady does well but not always.

though i think she will do really well at star wars...she tends to do better when she hops.
    Why shouldn't I? She's done great work.

I don't know what you mean by casual. I know you're a big fan of tactical third person shooters, but that doesn't make it casual. It did traversal combat excellently. Uncharted is a summer blockbuster-type adventure, and it did it really well. It's not going to blow away anybody with writing.

UC3 was still great, it just succeeded UC2.
    Last edited by Naxi; 04-28-2014 at 20:02.

Forum Overseer
    that we can agree on. people are being pessimists but they don't realize that generally talented people such as her don't stick to one company. unless they own that company.

I just think she took the opportunity to work on the Star Wars franchise.
    Yeah....that is a pretty awesome opportunity.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    That's the way I look at it. Let's see how the games turn out. Except for Hennig, I've never heard of any of these people who have left. Suddenly I'm supposed to be worried that ND doesn't know how to make great games anymore? how will I ever sleep?
    Yeah I'm not worried about it. Looking forward to UC4.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk
    These are very healthy signs IMO. Worrysome signs would be murmurs of discontent and inner strife.

Bad news would be..

:shudder:

Wishlist: Jade Cocoon Reboot, Oni Reboot, the next JRPG, Wasteland 2 [coming soon!]
    SotC 2, Fallout 4, next Obsidian Fallout, Project Eternity, Uncharted 4, Divinity [NEW!]
    [South Park: Stick of Truth is pure gaming bliss!]

Forum Overseer
    Why shouldn't I? She's done great work.
    in your opinion, great work means putting someone on a pedastal or putting them next to Kojima. that isn't the same in my book. in my book, to achieve legendary status, you have to do more than great work.

I don't know what you mean by casual. I know you're a big fan of tactical third person shooters, but that doesn't make it casual. It did traversal combat excellently. Uncharted is a summer blockbuster-type adventure, and it did it really well. It's not going to blow away anybody with writing.
    i'm not going to comment on combat but it's not seamless if that's what you were saying. controls are a bit wonky. gun mechanics are simple and damage is not balanced at all. but like i said, it's a casual title, it's not made for competitive people. as a single player game, the gun gameplay is ok and the rest of the gameplay is good, immersion level + acting + dialogue are top notch. that's where the game excels for me, not in gameplay by itself. other than the cool sequences, you're left with fighting constant enemies that gets tedious.

UC3 was still great, it just succeeded UC2.
    yeah, they are decent titles, i think people don't care about gun mechanics when it comes to casual titles. i personally don't think it is a 10/10 game but at the same time, i think they have done exceptionally well with certain aspects of the game, which is looked at in high regards in the industry so they did well overall. if you pick the game apart, there are various issues with the game that someone who is a huge fan of immersive shooters, just can't get into. of course, it's not a shooter game, it's action but a lot of the game is based around shooting enemies so i can't help but judge the game as a shooter as well.

Why Kojima is truly legendary is because not only he does well at storytelling (which i'm not going to say that he's perfect in but he did well), he also has made games play in a way that we have never seen before and may never will. there's just something unique about the way he approaches things. sorry, Hennig doesn't do it at the same level. but like you said, she has done "great work". that's not a bad thing in any way.

it's like putting Neil DeGrass Tyson and Albert Einstein in the same list...yes, you can do that but clearly one has done exceptional work, the other just great work.

Thread Information