Forum Elder

We can't just "plop Xbox 360 features into the code base of Xbox One", says Microsoft

Microsoft's Larry "Major Nelson" Hryb has stuck up for Xbox One's operating system and interface, assuring Redditors that "we will continue to add more and more features to Xbox One - features you've seen on Xbox 360 and new ones that are only possible on Xbox One". Adding features from Xbox 360 isn't as straightforward as hitting "CTRL+C", however.

"You have to remember the Xbox 360 is a very mature platform that has been around for almost 10 years," he wrote. "In that time we added a TON of new features. Xbox One is a completely new architecture so we can't just take work that was done on Xbox 360 and plop [it] into the code base of Xbox One. Things don't work that way."

That was in response to a thread about a shortage of Xbox One game demos - Microsoft no longer insists that developers create Xbox Live trials, possibly because Xbox One games are several times larger than their Xbox 360 forebears, which makes downloading the entire file in order to play a locked-off segment a wee bit impractical.

"Development is a fine balance of time and resources," Hryb added later in the thread.
    Microsoft has released two major Xbox One updates this year already, but is still thrashing out that balance with regard to certain hotly requested features, such as external hard drive support.
    http://www.totalxbox.com/75403/we-ca...ays-microsoft/

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Yeah well MS has actually been doing a good job with updating the X1 features even if some of them should have already been there.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    snooper71
    Items Naughty Dog
    MS devs are very efficient on that front. The X1 will meet/beat the 360 in no time on the OS/features available to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Next Gen top picks:
    PS4: Infamous SS, DriveClub
    One: Project spark, Forza 5
    Multi: Watchdogs, The crew, FFXV, KHIII

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by snooper71 View Post
    MS devs are very efficient on that front. The X1 will meet/beat the 360 in no time on the OS/features available to it. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yep, I agree.

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Agree with Nelson. Different architectures and new code-base. A lot of times that mean reinventing from scratch. Takes time.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Superior Member
    I really love my 360 with all of its games and features. Too bad I'll never buy the One. I just have absolutely no interest in it at all.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    I don't need no stinkin' signature!

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Man Gamer View Post
    I really love my 360 with all of its games and features. Too bad I'll never buy the One. I just have absolutely no interest in it at all.

I won't say never. Really need some kickass games and a price drop. Maybe E3 will inspire me. Nothing so far has.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Elite Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Man Gamer View Post

never say never. I said I would never buy xbox again after what happened with the original . Xbox one is a good console. It may be missing some things the more mature 360 has for right now, but it has easily surpassed it on some things like the speed and functionality of the os, and a good number of other things. I notice it every time I finish playing a game on the 360 and boot up the x1. It's just so much better. It will mature just like the 360.
    Last edited by Sub-stance1; 04-23-2014 at 06:14.

Dedicated Member
    Never because they never delivered anything notable but 2 generic shooting games.

Fire the space harpoons!
    PSN ID
    TidalPhoenix
    Items New User TitleUser name style
    I disagree with The Major - you can just CTRL-C the code. It's the CTRL-V where the problems start

​aka Sparc

Entropy isn't what it used be

11. Likes Christopher likes this post
    Forum Overseer

Quote Originally Posted by Sparc View Post
    I disagree with The Major - you can just CTRL-C the code. It's the CTRL-V where the problems start
    oh well mr. smarty pants, if you wanna go that way then you can even do CTRL-V, it just won't do anything lol >; )

13. Likes Ixion likes this post
    Apprentice
    PSN ID
    X-x-Stallion-x-X
    Items LBP Sephiroth
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    oh well mr. smarty pants, if you wanna go that way then you can even do CTRL-V, it just won't do anything lol >; )
    Since we first saw it, MS has been using CTRL-Z on the X1 more than any other control. mwhaha

Don't go around believing that Great Wizards solve all your problems, because there aren't any and they don't and I should know because I'm not one...

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    Nakatomi_Uk
    Items Intel Core i7PS3 SlimFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VII
    The thing is they added features to the 360 people nobody wanted like I prefered the Blade dash and they changed it to that awful PS3 on angle XMB rip off this now they flattened it more and it was harder to find stuff

Win 7 Ult 64bit, Gigabyte Z68AP-D3 Rev.1/Bios F8 , INTEL i7 2600k 3.40ghz, Crucial Ballistix Elite 8GB DDR3 1866mhz (1600mhz@1.60v), Crucial 128GB M4 SSD, WD 1TB Blue 7,200rpm, Hitachi 1TB 7,200rpm (Back-Up HDD), HIS 7850 2GB GDDR5 PCI-E Card, OCZ Fatality 750 Mod PSU, LG DVD-RAM RW

Thread Information