Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple

5 changes PS Vita needs to threaten Nintendo 3DS

http://www.psu.com/a023112/5-changes...n-Nintendo-3DS

PlayStation Vita launched back in 2012 and worldwide sales have been lackluster over its two year lifespan. The competition, the 3DS, faced the same problem when the system debuted back in 2011. However, shortly after Vita’s premiere, the 3DS blasted off and sold well in both Japan and North America.April 2014 sees Sony’s second handheld balling in Japan at the moment, though the 3DS has two units, 3DS XL and 3DS, in the top 10 chart. Add the Nintendo original and revision together and the Nintendo 3DS is still opening up a can of whoop ass on Vita.

Nintendo is well established in this handheld war, due to its hardware being the cheaper option, as well as hosting more blockbuster titles such as Resident Evil Revelations and Mario Kart 7. However, the only dedicated HD gaming device on the market is not far away from catching it up and potentially passing its rival. Sony’s Vita simply needs five adjustments to compete with Nintendo’s juggernaut.
    The first thing that needs to change is support from Sony outside of Japan. Currently, Japanese gamers have the option of buying Vita in lots of different colors, from brown to lime green. People from the Island Of The Sun also have access to niche games that do not always make their way to Europe or North America (NA). Sony also needs to blow up gaming events like E3 and the Tokyo Game Show showcasing their handheld: present lots of new IPs and innovative titles and announce creative game/memory card/accessory bundles; and absolutely give NA and Europe more color options – black only is getting old.
    In order to fight fire you need fire; Vita needs a ton of games just like the PS3 has and the PS4 will have. Even though less powerful and advanced, its 3D enemy has more system seller exclusives than digits on our hands. The irony is that these AAA titles aren’t necessarily innovative or new IPs, they’re just excellent products. This proves that Sony’s newest handheld doesn’t always need new concepts, but just quality results.
    The third item that needs to be addressed is memory. Instead of giving PlayStation “Life” internal memory for storage, Sony created memory cards in sizes such as 4 GB, 8 GB, 16GB, etc. There are three major problems with this: inconvenience, price, sizes. The PS4, Xbox One, and even its opponent the 3DS have internal memory in which you can download and install to one’s hearts content. In order to save progress and files on the handheld, you have to purchase a memory card, which is expensive with the 32 GB memory card costing around $100 each. 32 GB may seem like a lot of room, but PlayStation Plus members would beg to differ. In order to solve this problem, the simple solution is to add more internal memory, more than the 1GB in Vita slim. Sony needs to do this more than kittens need a bath, even if it causes the price to go up.
    One noticeable problem is advertising and promotion. Gamers watch T.V. channels such as ESPN, HBO, and MTV and it is surprising there are no Vita commercials or very few are shown while Xbox One and PS4 ads are so common. They also view videos on youtube but no sign of the gaming system there either. At E3, Sony makes announcements such as a Vita Slim and that there will be more games for it, but where are they? Other than the indie titles, where are the system sellers? Sony should preview the bigger projects, not just indie work. If Sony would take the time and properly display the machine’s assets it would sell better.
    Finally, something controversial but beneficial needs to happen: Vita exclusives need to STAY only on Vita. It was common for PSP games to be ported to the PS3 like God of War: Ghost of Sparta and the same scenario has happened to Sony’s Vita: Assassin’s Creed III Liberation. The problem with this is it defeats the purpose of buying a PlayStation Vita and lessens the number of Vita-only games compared to 3DS-only games. Also, Sony needs more first party developers to work on Vita, such as Santa Monica, Naughty Dog, and Sucker Punch.
    Some of the things listed may not happen and some of them may be an unrealistic fantasy . . . or maybe not. One thing is for certain, if Sony keeps bringing interesting games to Vita, the gap between the two handhelds will shrink. Will it ever disappear? For that to happen, Vita would have to dominate in countries outside of Japan. What happens if the Vita ever catches and surpasses the 3DS? It would be a UConn-over-Florida type of upset, a number one seed being beat by a eighth ranked seed, because Nintendo has ruled handheld gaming for so long and with an iron fist. However, in the end, the Vita STILL has the potential to be one of the greatest gaming devices of all time. It’s up to Sony to capitalize on that potential.
    Last edited by Nerevar; 04-24-2014 at 18:38.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    All they need to do is have big first party releases, they're already starting to outsell 3DS in Japan thanks to the third party exclusives.

Please help our Final Fantasy Community get off the ground:
    http://forums.final7fantasy.com/

Ultimate Veteran
    I must point out an error in the article: where it mentions Mario Kart 8, that is the upcoming Wii U game. If you are talking about the 3DS game, it should read Mario Kart 7.
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!

PSN ID
    nervegas_ds
    the biggest issue i have with the vita is memory. sure they can come out with a thousand indie titles, or even big frist/third party AAA titles. but i don't have anywhere to put them. i can't even get the latest killzone mercenary update because i only have 128mb of free space. even if i could bring myself to spend nearly $100 on a 32gb card, most of the time i can't even find them for sale. they need higher capacity cards at lower prices. $1 per gig seams fair to me. and start at 32gb and go up from there.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    There's already a 64GB if you're willing to import.

PSN ID
    nervegas_ds
    yea, i've been considering importing a 64gb card. but i shouldn't have to. i should be able to go to gamestop, pick up a red and black vita slim, a vita tv, a couple 64gb cards. or maybe a special edition, like the soul sacrifice vita. if sony wants the vita to succeed internationally, they need to make all of their products available to all markets. how am i supposed to buy something if they won't sell it to me? the more options they give the consumer the more people they appeal to. and i know that will cause them to have higher production costs. but if they could get the memory card issue straightened out, then people will be able to buy games, lots of games. which is where they make the most money, especially from digital purchases.

sorry to go off on kind of a rant. i think the vita is a great system, i liked it so much i got the first edition bundle. i would never even consider getting rid of my vita for any reason. and i think anyone who considers themselves a gamer should own one. but it's not without it's problems. and these problems are keeping a great device out of the hands of people that would probably love it as much as i do.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    I agree that importing a 64gb card is bull****. No reason why that card is not available outside Japan.

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    FireSol
    Items User name style
    Great article and Im agree with all your points, but I wanna add one moge change. Vita need to stop trying threat 3DS, because this is pointless, Sony cant play on nostalgia feelings as Nintendo doing it and for me this is the main force behind 3DS success

Racing Game Fanatic
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Items Title StyleVitaPS3 Slim
    We can get the 64gb card in the UK without having to import, someone possibly done the hard work for us lol! It is 80 quid though!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PS-Vita-64...item43c8aed70a
    PSN ID: Duffman19864

Twitter ID: Duffman1986

My New Youtube Gaming Channel: Duffman Gaming

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Effekt
    Items Metal Gear SolidTommy VercettiLegend of ZeldaBlizzardAtlus
    Vita just needs games that cater to everybody more, because the jRPGs on it are amazing. I love the library of games currently on it and ones to come. However that's not what really sells the best in the states. Call of duty for the vita was terribly implemented but I think could have helped it a lot had it done well and there hasn't been much AAA exclusive games after that from the west developers. The 3DS has games are fun for pretty much any type of gamer or age group and they're exclusive. That's why I think it does better. I have them both and enjoy both though.

Stockholm Syndrome
    PSN ID
    Spikey456
    Items LuluFangLightningOlivia WildeLucy PinderMichelle MarshVita360 SlimPS3 Fat
    Personally I don't think the Vita can threaten the 3DS, their demographics are too different and the 3DS will always appeal to the casual gamer, whereas the vita is more aimed at the hardcore gamer. You just have to look at the games on each system and who typically owns them.

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Items VitaiPhone BlackGran Turismo 5PS3 FatTommy Vercetti3DS
    I got a 64GB from Japan, eBay for 69.99. That's almost what a 32gb card costs here. Plus it arrived in less than a week. I didn't mind importing.

On the move with Tapatalk
    ~Corporate Media Propaganda - Welcome to your Daily Matrix~

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    Personally I don't think the Vita can threaten the 3DS, their demographics are too different and the 3DS will always appeal to the casual gamer, whereas the vita is more aimed at the hardcore gamer. You just have to look at the games on each system and who typically owns them.
    Yeah, I agree. PSP never really threatened DS either, but it was a pretty successful handheld cuz it had a lot of really good games. DS is the preferred handheld of children and I don't mean that in a disparaging way. It just has a lot of games that appeal to the younger and more casual gamers. I tried my best to enjoy the 3DS I had for 4 months, but the games just didn't appeal to me at all. Of course, I'm not a fan of Mario, Zelda, and that kind of stuff so the main attractions for Nintendo products isn't my kind of thing. Vita shouldn't try to compete with that. Just keep crunching out the games like Danganronpa , Uncharted, and localize more JRPGs and it will start gaining some traction.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

No matter what the Vita does, it won't ever threaten the 3ds.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronSOLDIER View Post
    There's already a 64GB if you're willing to import.
    I have a 64 gig card. Do you mean there's a 128 GB card if you want to import? I got my 64 Gig card for about $110 USD. Expensive, but worth it. It's bigger than the card I have on my phone, so I have my portable movie player (the Vita screen is better than the GS3 screen, anyhow)

I won't run out of room on my Vita for a long time.
    Last edited by bobtheduck; 04-26-2014 at 08:27.

PSN ID
    italodancemp3
    Games Only.
    PSN: italodancemp3

Purchased Physical PSVITA Games: Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster,Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus,Metal Gear Solid HD Collection,Resistance: Burning Skies,FIFA14

Purchased Digital PSVITA Games: Muramasa Rebirth,Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate,Dead Nation,FEZ,SteamWorld Dig,Need for Speed: Most Wanted,Gunslugs,Earth Defence Force 2017 Portable,Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 Plus,Injustice: Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition,Uncharted: Golden Abyss,Dead or Alive 5 Plus

Stockholm Syndrome
    PSN ID
    Spikey456
    Items LuluFangLightningOlivia WildeLucy PinderMichelle MarshVita360 SlimPS3 Fat
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    Yeah, I agree. PSP never really threatened DS either, but it was a pretty successful handheld cuz it had a lot of really good games. DS is the preferred handheld of children and I don't mean that in a disparaging way. It just has a lot of games that appeal to the younger and more casual gamers. I tried my best to enjoy the 3DS I had for 4 months, but the games just didn't appeal to me at all. Of course, I'm not a fan of Mario, Zelda, and that kind of stuff so the main attractions for Nintendo products isn't my kind of thing. Vita shouldn't try to compete with that. Just keep crunching out the games like Danganronpa , Uncharted, and localize more JRPGs and it will start gaining some traction.
    Yeah definitely, I even know people in their 50s and 60s who have 3DS XL's and they play stuff like Animal Crossing, Professor Layton and then those compilation games with card games or word searches and stuff. Try selling a Vita to them and you'll get nowhere haha which is a shame because it's an amazing piece of kit.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Quote Originally Posted by bobtheduck View Post
    I have a 64 gig card. Do you mean there's a 128 GB card if you want to import? I got my 64 Gig card for about $110 USD. Expensive, but worth it. It's bigger than the card I have on my phone, so I have my portable movie player (the Vita screen is better than the GS3 screen, anyhow)

I won't run out of room on my Vita for a long time.
    No I mean the 64GB since it's only available in Japan unless you bought it from a store that imports stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronSOLDIER View Post
    No I mean the 64GB 3ds it's only available in Japan unless you bought it from a store that imports stuff.
    You sure you can't get a 128 ?
    Last edited by Vanity; 08-14-2014 at 03:22.

Thread Information