Chocolatier to the Stars
    PSN ID
    TidalPhoenix
    Items New User TitleUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Being a Marauder

I'm loving being a tank. It's the first time I've been a tank in any MMO I've played as I always thought it would be kinda dull not dealing out the DPS. However, the tactical play that comes from being a tank really keeps you on your toes in any party-up battles. At first I was a bit daunted as I joined my first dungeon and everyone was like waiting for me to run forward and trigger aggro, but since then I've been really getting into it.

For those of you who have played Eve Online the Tank acts almost like the FC in Fleet Battles, even down to being able to call out primaries (mark #1, #2, etc).

Question though - there appears to be a general consensus around Paladins being the best for tanking, this is especially the case when you get to lvl 50. I understand how useful Flash is that it's not a practical cross-skill for Marauders due to the pitiful MP. Overpower is very cone-centric, so not as versatile in keeping enmity as a nice round Flash, but will it really be an inhibitor at the later levels? I'm thinking especially around managing ADDs. Should I stop levelling my Marauder (20 presently) and focus on getting GLD up to 30 and CNJ to 15 (I'll already have MRD as tertiary).

Thoughts?

Oh one last question - what armour should I be aiming for and what should I be wearing now at lvl20? I can't find any guidance on this anywhere.
    Last edited by TidalPhoenix; 04-24-2014 at 11:49.

​aka Sparc

Entropy isn't what it used be

2. Likes Bluehazeburnout likes this post
    Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Bluehazeburnout
    I have both Flash and overpower on my Lvl 50 warrior - flash is useful in a tight spot to spam to get the agro back up if you don't have much tp left.

you want armour which increases your strength and vitalitie with maybe dex.

I personally prefer warrior to paly but paly's do have an instant stun which is very useful which i think is why people prefer paly's to warriors.

but with the recent warrior changes there is not much between them appart from the insta-stun

Chocolatier to the Stars
    PSN ID
    TidalPhoenix
    Why DEX? Is that for Parry?

I haven't seen anything that allows me to regen TP more quickly - so I assume it is what it is. I've had one dungeon where my TP ran dry and that's a real pain in rump. I at least need to be in some good armour so I can tank a bit without the Healer. Otherwise I'm guessing they could quickly be targetted. Just long enough to get my TP up to at least half-way I reckon.

Anyway, hoofin' great learning curve for me this tanking business.

​aka Sparc

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Bluehazeburnout
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparc View Post
    Why DEX? Is that for Parry?

I haven't seen anything that allows me to regen TP more quickly - so I assume it is what it is. I've had one dungeon where my TP ran dry and that's a real pain in rump. I at least need to be in some good armour so I can tank a bit without the Healer. Otherwise I'm guessing they could quickly be targetted. Just long enough to get my TP up to at least half-way I reckon.

Anyway, hoofin' great learning curve for me this tanking business.
    Yeah Dex is for Parry,

As for TP - a 1000 is all you get, you need to learn to manage your TP, try not to spam overpower as that will kill your tp quickly.

Also, learn to Tag the monster that you are targetting so everyone knows what the target is and transfer to a different target just before you kill it so you can build up agro before the dps start blasting.

Pity you are not on Ultros with some of the rest of us. How is the eu server anyway?

As for armour - just get the best you can or start armour crafting.

once you hit lvl 45 you start getting your class armour anyway. but until then befriend some crafters and HQ stuff - offer to get the materials if they will make on the cheap, that sort fo thing.
    Last edited by Bluehazeburnout; 04-25-2014 at 10:20. Reason: armour

6. Likes TidalPhoenix likes this post
    Chocolatier to the Stars
    PSN ID
    TidalPhoenix
    Thanks Bluehazeburnout +rep

The EU server is buttery smooth. Haven't experienced any problems with it at all so far. I knew you guys were on Ultros but I was concerned that going on a NA server would mean that during the UK playing hours the numbers would be low. Also I wanted a server with low latency given the party mash ups I was going to be in. Happy with the server though. Funny thing was I went on really early last weekend (couldn't sleep so did the worst thing ever to help you sleep and played a console game ) and the cities were almost empty. Really weird to see them like that. Soon got busy though.

​aka Sparc

Thread Information