Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
    Forum Overseer
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    It's not derailing the thread. It's just an example of how people will make purchases not based on what they hear or read on forums or the internet. The early adopters are mainly the ones making the purchases right now. These are the true diehard fans on each side. It stay that way for the whole gen. Games and services will still be the biggest deciding factor for most people. I used you as an example because like you, others will be dual console owners too just like last gen. You bought xb1. It doesn't matter if it was out of curiosity or any other personal reason. The point is that there will be more gamers out there who will do the same because it will be too much to miss out on not having both. Ms knows what they are giving up by coming in at a more expensive price. If they think they can make it up later on then more power to them.
    none of what you've just said has a point or is substantial in any way.

yes there will be dual console owners...what does that say about X1 sales? yes, games and services matter, what is MS doing there that would change current sales trends? some dude in this forum bought the console out of curiosity...again, what does that have to do with the severely low numbers MS has shown for the X1 recently?

where would any of your points matter in the overall scheme of things? at least PR or damage control peeps generally have substantial points...you have generic comments that have nothing to do with anything.

-Last comment removed
    Last edited by Nerevar; 04-28-2014 at 05:31.

2. Likes Peregrin8X, Two4DaMoney , mistercrow likes this post
    Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Ariakace55
    In the end of this console cycle, i dont see MS taking the lead unless they come out with some serious hardcore 1st party exclusives. with the PS4 being technologically stronger, it will probably take the lead platform for multi-platform games. But i dont see this as being too much different than the PS3/360 cycle. I can easily see the PS4 selling around 70 million units with the XBOne selling around 65 million. Remember. its all about the games. MS has some great ones, but the multi platform games are where the most sales come from. there will never be a really "huge" gap between these two consoles. PS4 sold 7 million, MS shipped 5, and their last sold numbers were 3.9 million sold at the end of march, so you have to figure theyre at around 4.5 million sold. Thats still not bad at all.

Tacos Rule!

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    LordVenger
    Items User name style
    The track record for Microsoft is starting to look questionable. They released the Xbox expecting to rapidly topple the far less powerful PS2, only to watch the PS2 become the best selling home console of all time. They released the Xbox 360 a year earlier than the PS3, at a better price than the PS3, it was the easier to develop for platform, it was the lead development platform, it had Microsoft's deep pockets and online services, Sony's arrogance ruined the PS3's launch and the 360 still ended the generation world wide as the third console in the race. Now they've released the Xbox One second, it's the more expensive platform, it's the harder to develop for platform, Microsoft screwed up almost every aspect of the launch, the are rapidly trying to 180 most of their policies, and they are on their back foot in almost every aspect of the race. The good news for them, Nintendo has done an even worse job with the WiiU which is looking like a failure on a level that only Sega and Atari have really seen before.

5. Likes mistercrow, Two4DaMoney likes this post
    Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    The Xbox will never "catch" the PS4, why would it? The 360 never caught the PS3.
    By the time MS hit 50 million, Sony had sold 60 million PS3's.

People get mislead by the years head start MS had.

Expecting these consoles to go head to head neck and neck? Hello what planet are you on?

The PS4 is selling just fine, the XBO is selling just fine.

The reality is BOTH companies have to bring the games to E3.

7. Likes YoungMullah88 likes this post
    Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    The Xbox will never "catch" the PS4, why would it? The 360 never caught the PS3.
    By the time MS hit 50 million, Sony had sold 60 million PS3's.

People get mislead by the years head start MS had.

Expecting these consoles to go head to head neck and neck? Hello what planet are you on?

The PS4 is selling just fine, the XBO is selling just fine.

The reality is BOTH companies have to bring the games to E3.
    Which makes me "" at the people that say tablets/mobiles are /will be killing traditional console/pc gaming.

They're confusing that something is growing really fast, with something they perceive of as 'dying'.
    Be Together - Not the same.

Master Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Black View Post
    PS4 is clearly performing better but considering Halo 5 has yet to release on Xbox
    Problem is it isn't likely to release til next year. The gap would have grown dramatically between now and then.

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitbydeath View Post
    Problem is it isn't likely to release til next year. The gap would have grown dramatically between now and then.
    "A" Halo is coming this year.
    Not sure if it is "the" Halo you speak of.

PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    Halo fans are rather.. crazy.. though. I know many that will buy pretty much anything if it has "Halo" on it.

Sig&Av by Kuro

Preorders:
    DyingLightOrder1886Witcher3Batman:AKUncharted4

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenix View Post
    Halo fans are rather.. crazy.. though. I know many that will buy pretty much anything if it has "Halo" on it.
    I own Halo, Halo 2, Halo 3, Halo:ODST, Halo Reach, Halo Aniv and Halo 4

Do I count?

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    thats ok though. 3 or 4 million down is reachable. Still a long time before the gen ends.
    This console cycle is not going to be the 7 and 8 years that 360 / PS3 were, and they're still going right now, production won't be ending anytime soon.

The PS4 / Xbox One cycle is expected to be 5 or 6 years, the PS5 / future Xbox are expected by 2019, perhaps even 2018. Thus, 5-6 years beyond the recent fall 2013 PS4/XB1 launch.

This gen will be a more normal, traditional console cycle in duration, not like the unusually extended one that started in 2005. XB1 is unlikely to catch up with PS4.

Microsoft won't have the advantage of a long console cycle like Sony had last gen when PS3 was well behind 360 in the early years of '06, '07, '08 and '09. PS3's worldwide userbase only caught up with 360's in more recent years, 2011-2013.
    Last edited by parallax scroll; 04-28-2014 at 10:37.

Finally You Are Free
    I'm curious as to why you think that. What sort of data or theories supports the idea that this generation will be 5-6 years long?

Apprentice

Sony and EA's own expectations, they both believe this current console cycle will be somewhat shorter than the last.

http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming...an-ps3-1203461

read these threads at NeoGAF:
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=91678342
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=724489

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by parallax scroll View Post
    Sony and EA's own expectations, they both believe this current console cycle will be somewhat shorter than the last.

http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming...an-ps3-1203461

read these threads at NeoGAF:
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=91678342
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=724489
    Think something like this is just too hard to gauge so soon. It might depend on a few new technologies that come out in the next few years to see how long the consoles can go or where game streaming goes. If MS start to fall further behind and fail to gain any momentum I wouldn't be surprised if they try and jump start on the next gen and who knows where Nintendo might go.

Forum Overseer
    we might get a next-gen announcement at the end of 6th year. no way it's going to release in the 5th or 6th year. more like 7th.

18. Likes Julz likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Two4DaMoney View Post
    My brain is empty trying to think what would help MS. I see no possible solution to the problems that MS are facing. None that wouldn't cost them tons of money. I'm talking billions.
    An actual public apology/humble pie at E3. Un-bundle Kinect. Price drop to $300-350. If they did these things, I think people would accept that they are actually going in the right direction rather than just talking about it.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    we might get a next-gen announcement at the end of 6th year. no way it's going to release in the 5th or 6th year. more like 7th.
    it will be about 7.

5 years is like each studio having enough time to make 2 games. That is just not worth it.

21. Likes Omar likes this post
    Forum Overseer
    people forget that the market is changing, development times are changing. ^ good point. there's not enough time to get enough games out.

the market is also growing, which means these consoles don't peak out in sales as quickly as they once did.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by parallax scroll View Post
    Sony and EA's own expectations, they both believe this current console cycle will be somewhat shorter than the last. http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming...an-ps3-1203461 read these threads at NeoGAF: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=91678342 http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=724489
    Sounds like alot more speculation than expectation to me.

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    I wouldn't be surprised if this was a short generation, frankly. The hardware is standard and it will be much easier to navigate to the next gen going forward. Backward compatibility will be easy and new game development will build on this generation.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if this was a short generation, frankly. The hardware is standard and it will be much easier to navigate to the next gen going forward. Backward compatibility will be easy and new game development will build on this generation.
    I still think 6 to 7yrs. I doubt it would be only 5yrs.

Forum Overseer
    yeah, i agree. the development cycles are different, budgets are completely different. games take much longer than they did in the PS1 days...even though PS4's costs are lowered for development, it's not that cheap. i'd say it probably stayed about the same for AAA budgets (probably more there actually) and lowered for the smaller titles.

not to mention, gaming has become very popular so these consoles can be cash cows longer. PS2 was a cash cow for a long time and they could've easily ended that generation.

i think 7th year is the sweet spot. 8th is pushing it.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    yeah, i agree. the development cycles are different, budgets are completely different. games take much longer than they did in the PS1 days...even though PS4's costs are lowered for development, it's not that cheap. i'd say it probably stayed about the same for AAA budgets (probably more there actually) and lowered for the smaller titles. not to mention, gaming has become very popular so these consoles can be cash cows longer. PS2 was a cash cow for a long time and they could've easily ended that generation. i think 7th year is the sweet spot. 8th is pushing it.
    Yeah 7 sounds about right.

Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Prediction. 6 years 2 months 4 days 6 hours

.....plus or minus 2 years
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.

29. Likes victorijapoosp , darky89 likes this post
    Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    Prediction. 6 years 2 months 4 days 6 hours

.....plus or minus 2 years
    Are you from Microsoft?

Are you from Microsoft?
    HQ....my cover is blown! Abort! Abort!

32. Likes Omar likes this post

Thread Information