Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 4
    Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    I dont really see any difference in map size etc, Reach didnt have any larger maps than an other Halo game.

T People don't play Halo just cause its fun, it has a very rich back story and universe, people love it for its story it delivers.
    To be honest I'm still on the fence with Destiny, I haven't seen anything (yet) that would push me into buying it, the animations hell even the guilty spark clone are all very influenced by Halo. The gameplay is very Haloish.
    agreed. The novels are also quite popular. Every since I read Fall of Reach ive been a fan. A lot of people are under the impression that bungie started Halo and MS just bought the rights, but it was actually Microsoft and Eric Nylund who worked the first novels, leading to the game. As for Destiny, I wouldn't be surprised if it has some similarities to halo.

Forum Overseer
    ^Yeah, considering it's made by the people who made the original Halo. Yes you are spot on.

but really, if people wanted to play the game for story and didn't care about evolution of the game then they can just buy the novels. so i disagree there, expectations will be higher. especially since we know the industry will be evolving.

Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    ^Yeah, considering it's made by the people who made the original Halo. Yes you are spot on.

but really, if people wanted to play the game for story and didn't care about evolution of the game then they can just buy the novels. so i disagree there, expectations will be higher. especially since we know the industry will be evolving.
    Im sure 343 is will deliver like they did with Halo 4. The next halo will be huge. No doubt about that.

Forum Overseer
    i'm sure they'll make a great halo. i never disagreed there, my concern is if they will evolve the series or not. they haven't done that in any way. at this point, i have more faith in Treyarch evolving COD than 343 evolving Halo.

it's going to get stale after a couple of installments, once the next-gen graphics charm wears off and other titles in the industry start to evolve. but who knows, maybe they have something planned out, we'll see.

Forum Overseer
    and just to be fair, i also think UC series is stale...and they also need to evolve TLOU's sequel...as we're in the next-gen now.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    i'm sure they'll make a great halo. i never disagreed there, my concern is if they will evolve the series or not. they haven't done that in any way. at this point, i have more faith in Treyarch evolving COD than 343 evolving Halo. it's going to get stale after a couple of installments, once the next-gen graphics charm wears off and other titles in the industry start to evolve. but who knows, maybe they have something planned out, we'll see.
    I realized I basically said what you just said here so I deleted my other post. lol 343 may have improved the graphics engine some but they didnt evolve Halo at all. That series has gotten stale and needs to be completely retooled. Same with Gears and Fable.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    and just to be fair, i also think UC series is stale...and they also need to evolve TLOU's sequel...as we're in the next-gen now.
    Lol @ evolving the TLOU when other games haven't even matched it. I trust that naughty dogs will get uncharted right back on track...i see an old drake, all 4th installments of games usually have old characters lol. Snake, Sam fisher...Unless the next uncharted is a reboot or a prequel

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercrow View Post
    I realized I basically said what you just said here so I deleted my other post. lol 343 may have improved the graphics engine some but they didnt evolve Halo at all. That series has gotten stale and needs to be completely retooled. Same with Gears and Fable.
    I think there were on a hiding to nothing for Halo 4, their first goal was to be able to show people they could emulate what had been done already, they certainly evolved the story, but the mechanics didn't change a heck of a lot.
    On the one had hand they retooled it, people may have said "its not Halo", on the other hand, they did improve the graphics and almost every aspect was touched up.
    Halo 5 will be their real test, same old same old, or something a bit different.

Friendship is Carrots
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercrow View Post
    343 may have improved the graphics engine some but they didnt evolve Halo at all. That series has gotten stale and needs to be completely retooled. Same with Gears and Fable.
    The problem is evolving the gameplay without fundamentally changing it. It's a difficult task to do, and generally it's safer to keep things more the same than different. But of course that still eventually leads to stagnation.

I think the simplest answer is to just stop dragging out series this long. Halo never needed 10 games in the series. It didn't need to go on for 13+ years. It should have stopped years ago when the series was still held in high regards, then the developers just move on (like Bungie has with destiny, which is looking far superior because it's a new opportunity).

Quote Originally Posted by YoungMullah88 View Post
    Lol @ evolving the TLOU when other games haven't even matched it.
    Oh lord.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    I think there were on a hiding to nothing for Halo 4, their first goal was to be able to show people they could emulate what had been done already, they certainly evolved the story, but the mechanics didn't change a heck of a lot. On the one had hand they retooled it, people may have said "its not Halo", on the other hand, they did improve the graphics and almost every aspect was touched up. Halo 5 will be their real test, same old same old, or something a bit different.
    Not too far off from what I said basically. Except I dont feel they retooled anything much more than the graphics engine. But yeah this will definitely be their test. But I think I have to go with what Rapture said about it being time to move onto something new like Bungie did.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 04-30-2014 at 02:24.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    The problem is evolving the gameplay without fundamentally changing it. It's a difficult task to do, and generally it's safer to keep things more the same than different. But of course that still eventually leads to stagnation. I think the simplest answer is to just stop dragging out series this long. Halo never needed 10 games in the series. It didn't need to go on for 13+ years. It should have stopped years ago when the series was still held in high regards, then the developers just move on (like Bungie has with destiny, which is looking far superior because it's a new opportunity). Oh lord.
    Yep I think I have to agree with you there.

Forum Overseer
    Lol @ evolving the TLOU when other games haven't even matched it. I trust that naughty dogs will get uncharted right back on track...i see an old drake, all 4th installments of games usually have old characters lol. Snake, Sam fisher...Unless the next uncharted is a reboot or a prequel

it doesn't matter, it's next-gen and they need to evolve the game. it may have tested last-gen's capabilities but they were still based on last-gen stuff. trust me when i say there, there is always room for improvement. they could add more depth to the gameplay, add more elements to the environment, make it completely open world, put a hell of a lot more preys in the game.

I think there were on a hiding to nothing for Halo 4, their first goal was to be able to show people they could emulate what had been done already, they certainly evolved the story, but the mechanics didn't change a heck of a lot.
    On the one had hand they retooled it, people may have said "its not Halo", on the other hand, they did improve the graphics and almost every aspect was touched up.
    Halo 5 will be their real test, same old same old, or something a bit different.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    The problem is evolving the gameplay without fundamentally changing it. It's a difficult task to do, and generally it's safer to keep things more the same than different. But of course that still eventually leads to stagnation.

I think the simplest answer is to just stop dragging out series this long. Halo never needed 10 games in the series. It didn't need to go on for 13+ years. It should have stopped years ago when the series was still held in high regards, then the developers just move on (like Bungie has with destiny, which is looking far superior because it's a new opportunity).

Oh lord.
    Destiny is a spiritual successor to Halo. Evolving doesn't mean it has to be "different" since if you notice, Destiny is very much like Halo but just more modern and well, hell of a lot larger and deeper. Evolving the series would mean that you put in stuff that exploits the potential of the core concepts...not necessarily change them.

oh and mynd, how can they evolve the story when the story is already written in novels? lol?

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    it doesn't matter, it's next-gen and they need to evolve the game. it may have tested last-gen's capabilities but they were still based on last-gen stuff. trust me when i say there, there is always room for improvement. they could add more depth to the gameplay, add more elements to the environment, make it completely open world, put a hell of a lot more preys in the game.
    Obviously they will evolve every aspect of the game whether it's Uncharted or tlou. The fact that we know last gen hardware held back the games design wise, AI routines and environmental interactions, it's only natural to expect the next iteration on a more capable hardware to evolve and improve things other than graphics. Technically the next uncharted and TLOU should not be possible on the ps3

Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    Halo 4 story wasn't gripping or touching or none of that ****. "No, my a.i. friend. Don't die. What will I ever do on my own?"

I never play halo to follow the story.

Destiny and Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor is all I need for the rest of the year.

Forum Overseer
    Obviously they will evolve every aspect of the game whether it's Uncharted or tlou. The fact that we know last gen hardware held back the games design wise, AI routines and environmental interactions, it's only natural to expect the next iteration on a more capable hardware to evolve and improve things other than graphics. Technically the next uncharted and TLOU should not be possible on the ps3

yup, exactly what i meant. with the power, they need to expand the ideas.

Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    yup, exactly what i meant. with the power, they need to expand the ideas.
    The next halo has expanded to 60fps. It'll be interesting to see what else they do. Halo 4 environments weren't as open as past titles. That's the sacrifice they made to get it to look better. I wonder if they'll go back to more open areas?

Destiny and Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor is all I need for the rest of the year.

Forum Overseer
    probably. Halo just doesn't make sense without open world. i always thought of Halo 2 to be more like an MMO (without the online)...but didn't know that they were called massive games back then.

so about those TV series lol.

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Two4DaMoney View Post
    The next halo has expanded to 60fps. It'll be interesting to see what else they do. Halo 4 environments weren't as open as past titles. That's the sacrifice they made to get it to look better. I wonder if they'll go back to more open areas?
    If these rumours are true, then it woudl be nice for a change up.

The Halo 5 plot details in the leak claim that, post-Cortana, Master Chief has "gone rogue" and taken control of his own ship. This gives him the freedom to visit 6-8 different planets, with each planet hosting a variety of regions, mainline quests and side missions. Say farewell to the familiar linear Halo playstyle, according to the anonymous insider, Halo 5 is going open world.

Forum Overseer
    i'd be curious to see what they do with halo 5. we'll see at E3. hoping we get some juicy info this year.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    This article makes some very good points. All the things listed are what made the 360. The power house it was in the first half of the generation and some of it carried, throughout the generation. Sony is in a brilliant spot right now. They just have to not squander it.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Thread Information