Page 1 of 4 1 ... LastLast
    Apprentice

GAMESPOT: 3 Reasons the Xbox One May Struggle to Catch The PS4

The Xbox One is lagging behind the PlayStation 4. This has been true since the two consoles launched last November, and the distance has been widening with every month that passes. Microsoft corporate vice president Phil Harrison already spoke at length about the Xbox One's unenviable position, brushing aside many concerns as he brought up the old "marathon, not a sprint" analogy. Although I do agree that it's too early for Microsoft to throw in the towel, there are serious detriments to getting off to such a slow start. And if the Xbox One doesn't gain ground soon, the problems could snowball so quickly that there's no hope of catching up.

Dwindling third-party exclusives

If a game is being kept away from other platforms, that developer has to be compensated for lost potential sales. When the Xbox 360 shot out ahead of the PlayStation 3, it established itself as the leader in the high-definition race, so it was easy for Microsoft to convince publishers to partner up with them. And the same was true early this generation, when no one was sure how the chips would fall. But now that the PlayStation 4 is much more popular, Microsoft will have to pay more and more money to keep games away from Sony. And that price will only rise as the gap widens. It's not easy to negotiate when you're no longer in a position of power. That means we'll see more games land on multiple platforms, and there will be added pressure on 343 Industries, Turn 10 Studios, and Lionhead Studios to carry the load.

Titanfall is already being kept away from the PlayStation 4, as are Sunset Overdrive and Quantum Break, but who knows how willing those teams will be to do the same with their next games knowing that they're ignoring a huge part of their potential audience.

Follow your friends to the end

As more people purchase a PlayStation 4 in favor of an Xbox One, the communities of multiplayer gamers will subsequently gravitate toward Sony's console. So when you're figuring out which version of Evolve to get later this year, part of that decision process will involve which system has a larger player base. It makes sense, right? If you buy a multiplayer-centric game, you're going to want as many people as possible to play with. That idea extends further when your friends play games as well. Once one friend decides to buy Destiny on the PlayStation 4, the others will invariably follow suit. It takes only one domino being pushed to start a chain.

Words speak louder than actions

Word of mouth matters. Any discerning person out there probably rolls their eyes at marketing. Sure, we may like some commercials, but we're never felt compelled to buy an energy drink or specific toilet paper brand just because we've been inundated with billboards, right? No one would admit that ads sway their buying habits (even though they totally do), but word of mouth isn't so easy to disassociate yourself with. It's been proven to be far more effective than traditional marketing, and once popular opinion slides in one direction, it can be difficult to change that momentum.

This is a dangerous situation for Microsoft. As the PlayStation 4 becomes more and more popular, it will become the default console. Remember last generation? The Wii exploded in large part because every mainstream publication was talking about it. It graced the covers of magazines and found its way into popular sitcoms, and eventually, it became the thing that everyone wanted. Even Microsoft admits they've been struggling with messaging since the Xbox One reveal last year, and even though they've backtracked on many of their restrictions, it's much harder to change people's minds.
    http://www.gamespot.com/articles/3-r.../1100-6419160/

That snowball effect that really starts hurting Microsoft and the Xbox One platform could get into full swing right after E3.

Master Sage
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Think it is already too late, they had a chance to get momentum with titanfall but now that has passed and they no longer have anything on the horizon that is dated to come for months.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Actually after buying the Titanfall rights EA has said that the Titanfall series going forward will be on PS4 as well. Otherwise some good points.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitbydeath View Post
    Think it is already too late, they had a chance to get momentum with titanfall but now that has passed and they no longer have anything on the horizon that is dated to come for months. Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk
    Yeah even with the Titanfall bundles getting the price knocked down to being competitive with PS4 price the PS4 still outsold the Xbone even in their strongest region.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    HermesTheGod
    Microsoft hurt themselves early with the whole DRM/24 Hour check-in, Used Policy, etc. etc.

The only thing the Xbox nOne has that's been more appealing was Titanfall and less/no delays. And seeing that Titanfall will eventually be on PS4....

Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    My brain is empty trying to think what would help MS. I see no possible solution to the problems that MS are facing. None that wouldn't cost them tons of money. I'm talking billions.

Destiny and Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor is all I need for the rest of the year.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    HermesTheGod
    Quote Originally Posted by Two4DaMoney View Post
    My brain is empty trying to think what would help MS. I see no possible solution to the problems that MS are facing. None that wouldn't cost them tons of money. I'm talking billions.
    Halo.

That is all.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    All the blunders they made I think is not what is hampering them now, I truly believe the inferior hardware coupled with the price is doing more damage than everything....then you add in word of mouth and **** starts looking grim

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

9. Likes Yungstar 2006, 33x likes this post
    Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungMullah88 View Post
    All the blunders they made I think is not what is hampering them now, I truly believe the inferior hardware coupled with the price is doing more damage than everything....then you add in word of mouth and **** starts looking grim Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
    Yep I agree. And word travels fast plus all the articles about it across the net. Its all pretty common knowledge now I think.

Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercrow View Post
    Yep I agree. And word travels fast plus all the articles about it across the net. Its all pretty common knowledge now I think.
    Yea, buts what's on the net is on the net. Gaming journalism and forums are turning away just as many gamers as they attract. It seems it's mostly copy and paste stuff lately.

Forum Overseer
    E3 is going to be very important for MS. They can definitely keep up with Sony if they keep up with the content and then focus on reducing the price.

MS should have released the console at $299 with every cheap little thing they put in the box and should not have bundled the Kinect. It would have probably gotten them in a much better place.

and well, it would've also helped a lot if they had done pretty much what Sony has done this generation as far as keeping their platform open and attractive.

they are failing in every single thing they have attempted so far...in one way or another. at this point, if they really care about their platform and those...ad revenues, they need to spend a billion or two.

This is as big of an emergency as RROD was. They need to write another check. Get the content out and get people interested in the brand again.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    Yea, buts what's on the net is on the net. Gaming journalism and forums are turning away just as many gamers as they attract. It seems it's mostly copy and paste stuff lately.
    Irrelevant. What is relevant is that people do know about it. And they still read the gaming news on these websites even if theyre not forum goers.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 04-28-2014 at 01:38.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    E3 is going to be very important for MS. They can definitely keep up with Sony if they keep up with the content and then focus on reducing the price.

MS should have released the console at $299 with every cheap little thing they put in the box and should not have bundled the Kinect. It would have probably gotten them in a much better place.

and well, it would've also helped a lot if they had done pretty much what Sony has done this generation as far as keeping their platform open and attractive.

they are failing in every single thing they have attempted so far...in one way or another. at this point, if they really care about their platform and those...ad revenues, they need to spend a billion or two.

This is as big of an emergency as RROD was. They need to write another check. Get the content out and get people interested in the brand again.
    lol..it's nothing like RROd. That's ridiculous. What are they failing at? Not outselling ps4? That's hardly a call for emergency. And please, release xb1 at $299 and lose hundreds like Sony was doing last gen. Now that would be stupid. I don't see how selling 5 million consoles is anything close to failing.

- Talk about a red herring. The Vita has nothing to do with this topic.

Irrelevant. What is relevant is that people do know about it. And they still read the gaming news on these websites even if theyre not forum goers.
    Then it's not irrelevant. That doesn't mean people believe everything they read on forums. We all know how reliable gaming journalism can be nowadays. Even you bought an xb1 after you had complaints about it.
    Last edited by Nerevar; 04-28-2014 at 02:50.

Elite Sage
    ^and here he goes. Getting mad and bring up something that doesn't have to do with the topic in any meaningful way.

MS are going to be down by 3-4 million when this current qt ends.

Destiny and Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor is all I need for the rest of the year.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Two4DaMoney View Post
    ^and here he goes. Getting mad and bring up something that doesn't have to do with the topic in any meaningful way.

MS are going to be down by 3-4 million when this current qt ends.
    thats ok though. 3 or 4 million down is reachable. Still a long time before the gen ends.

Ultimate Veteran
    PS4 is clearly performing better but considering Halo 5 has yet to release on Xbox One and the same for Mario Kart 8 on Wii U (though the latter's release is fast approaching), either company could possibly bounce back and post good numbers, right?
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    Lol @ reachable...the gap will only get wider

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

19. Likes Two4DaMoney likes this post
    Elite Sage
    thats ok though. 3 or 4 million down is reachable. Still a long time before the gen ends.
    "The ps3 came back. The xbone can do it too." The ps4 is growing to become the go to system. Word is spreading fast. I told you this last year but you don't listen when it doesn't favor the xbox. Now it's reality. Give it another year and it's going to be too late for MS to turn things around. MS are slowing production down and waiting on the stock to be sold Sony is trying to produce as many ps4s possible so that they can fill in orders

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Black View Post
    PS4 is clearly performing better but considering Halo 5 has yet to release on Xbox One and the same for Mario Kart 8 on Wii U (though the latter's release is fast approaching), either company could possibly bounce back and post good numbers, right?
    Uh oh, watch out now. That is a possibility. Somehow people think one console selling less than the other is a failure. As long as support continues for Xbox 360 and ps3 people will be holding off buying ps4 and xbox1. There still have been next to nothing as far as must have titles for next gen.

Elite Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Black View Post
    The wiiU has had nearly 2 years to get their **** together. I don't even want to start on them.

Halo 5 should spike sales. There's no hope for MS if it doesn't.

And on the same note, the ps4 is outselling the Wii without having any must have titles such as wii-sports/wii-fit. I'd love to see how sales go once they get Gran Turismo 7 or Uncharted 4 on the market.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Then it's not irrelevant. That doesn't mean people believe everything they read on forums. We all know how reliable gaming journalism can be nowadays. Even you bought an xb1 after you had complaints about it.
    And I returned it because I had complaints about it as well. . Derailing the thread yet again bringing stuff up that has nothing to do with the topic I see. You sure are obsessed with my purchase and return habits. 3rd thread you've brought that up in now. And Xbone having weaker hardware is a fact, Xbone having inferior multiplats is a fact. The specs of both consoles are fact. Theres no way to lie about that. So the only way you cannot believe that is to just be in denial. So yeah, irrelevant. Some things gaming journalist report are actually factual and documented. Most people actually can tell the difference between factual reporting and a click bait opinion article , c'mon now.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 04-28-2014 at 02:52.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Uh oh, watch out now. That is a possibility. Somehow people think one console selling less than the other is a failure.
    Really? Well that sure wasnt your viewpoint on this forum last gen when the 360 was outselling the PS3. Funny how that works...lol

Forum Overseer
    lol..it's nothing like RROd. That's ridiculous. What are they failing at? Not outselling ps4? That's hardly a call for emergency. And please, release xb1 at $299 and lose hundreds like Sony was doing last gen. Now that would be stupid. I don't see how selling 5 million consoles is anything close to failing.
    you don't get it. they may not lose money if they took out Kinect. the parts inside the Xbox One should not cost much money. they also didn't spend much on design. the thing should be far cheaper than it is. that's half the problem. price.

if the thing cost $399, it would still be too expensive. it's a significantly less powered console, Kinect doesn't make up for the difference. and an extra $100 on top of that is not an icing on the cake in any sense.

they need content...that's why Sony did and why they eventually overcame their issues. without content, it doesn't matter what they do, we've already seen that the price discount only goes so far.

and they didn't sell 5m consoles. they SHIPPED 1.2m consoles from January to March. that's ****ing horrible from any standard. forget the PS4.
    lol X1 would need to "outsell" the PS4 to do that...keep the dream alive though. like i said, content.

i wouldn't worry too much about the PS4 at the moment, they are breaking all-time records. we should really be focused on how X1 can bounce back and stop taking damage. they need to try and keep the costs low and content high.
    Last edited by Omar; 04-28-2014 at 03:06.

Forum Sage
    And I returned it because I had complaints about it as well. . Derailing the thread yet again bringing stuff up that has nothing to do with the topic I see. You sure are obsessed with my purchase and return habits. 3rd thread you've brought that up in now. And Xbone having weaker hardware is a fact, Xbone having inferior multiplats is a fact. The specs of both consoles are fact. Theres no way to lie about that. So the only way you cannot believe that is to just be in denial. So yeah, irrelevant. Some things gaming journalist report are actually factual and documented. Most people actually can tell the difference between factual reporting and a click bait opinion article , c'mon now.
    It's not derailing the thread. It's just an example of how people will make purchases not based on what they hear or read on forums or the internet. The early adopters are mainly the ones making the purchases right now. These are the true diehard fans on each side. It stay that way for the whole gen. Games and services will still be the biggest deciding factor for most people. I used you as an example because like you, others will be dual console owners too just like last gen. You bought xb1. It doesn't matter if it was out of curiosity or any other personal reason. The point is that there will be more gamers out there who will do the same because it will be too much to miss out on not having both. Ms knows what they are giving up by coming in at a more expensive price. If they think they can make it up later on then more power to them.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    It's not derailing the thread. It's just an example of how people will make purchases not based on what they hear or read on forums or the internet. The early adopters are mainly the ones making the purchases right now. These are the true diehard fans on each side. It stay that way for the whole gen. Games and services will still be the biggest deciding factor for most people. I used you as an example because like you, others will be dual console owners too just like last gen. You bought xb1. It doesn't matter if it was out of curiosity or any other personal reason. The point is that there will be more gamers out there who will do the same because it will be too much to miss out on not having both. Ms knows what they are giving up by coming in at a more expensive price. If they think they can make it up later on then more power to them.
    It is derailing the thread. You keep bringing it up in every thread now because youre getting butthurt over the things I'm saying about the Xbone. Just debate the topic and stop being so hurt and defensive. Yeah I bought one but I quickly returned it. A fact that you keep conveniently keep ignoring. And has nothing to do with the topic so stop following me around beating that dead horse in every thread that I post in.

Thread Information