Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    PSU Live Streamer

Do you ever have a reason to buy a game on console if it's also on PC?

Not looking for a flame war, this is a serious question. I've recently built a new rig, was a long time coming. As I now begin to put more focus into PC gaming, my research finds that not every port out there is perfect on the PC side. Some people say capcom ports are the worst, or Ubisoft ports, apparently Dark Souls 1 needed to be patched by a Neogaf user in order to correct a graphical issue...etc, etc, etc.

I've been thinking about perhaps replacing my 3rd party library on console with PC versions, overtime of course as I wait on deals. But when I consider I own some games that have been given poor PC ports (for whatever reasons, some as insignificant to me as them having a console UI) or required community patching to make better, my question to the PC gamers here is...

Do you ever find yourself buying a game on console instead of PC because perhaps the game series or game company has a poor track record for porting to PC? Or is the complaint typically so negligible that you stick with the PC version every time all the time?

Thanks.

Come find me on Twitch.tv!

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I only buy PC games when the game is only on the PC.

Consoles = comfort

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk
    My own policy, partly due to my steam back-log:

1. Play old games.
    2. Buy games on sale en mass.
    3. Buy whatever games I like and play a lot on console as well.
    4. Console exclusives.
    5a. Some games I prefer on console, others on PC.
    5b. Controllers, ease of access and setup.
    6. MODS.

Edit: The great thing about not buying games on release day is being able to sort out the bad ports and the out right the stinkers from the gems.
    Last edited by K2D; 04-29-2014 at 14:48.

Wishlist: Jade Cocoon Reboot, Oni Reboot, the next JRPG, Wasteland 2 [coming soon!]
    SotC 2, Fallout 4, next Obsidian Fallout, Project Eternity, Uncharted 4, Divinity [NEW!]
    [South Park: Stick of Truth is pure gaming bliss!]

PSU Live Streamer
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal View Post

Consoles = comfort
    Right.

But I'm talking about a game on both, even when the PC version is complained about. Lots of people in the PC community state that Ubisoft doesn't give a **** about them. Now does that mean I should keep my ps4 pre-order of watch dogs? or make my transition into PC?

edit:
    nevermind, I understand what you meant now.
    Last edited by shepard; 04-29-2014 at 14:52.

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce

Consoles = comfort
    Pretty much agree with Lethal.

There are some good PC exclusives out there, and some very fun indie games too.

The only time i've gone PC over Console is for any multiplat with the UE logo plastered on it - most of the time. though there are exceptions like the stellar Mirrors Edge i love to bits on my PS3.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

PSU Live Streamer
    Well heres the thing. My gaming room setup allows me the comfort of running my PC games on my big screen TV while sitting on my couch with a gamepad. I understand alot of people choose to console game because those three things are huge to them and they don't have the ability to configure their PC gaming experience as such.

So let me pose the question again to people that have already answered, only this time put yourself in the mindset that those issues are cast aside. You now instead pretty much have a console experience with PC levels of performance. Do you still side with console over pc versions to the cross platform titles?

For me, Ubisoft produces some of my favorite games. I've yet to experience them on PC because I only just got a powerful PC. Some of the PC community feels negative towards Ubisoft for whatever reason. I'm just not sure if the people with these negative opinions are because the UI resembles console UI, it's poor to use on the keyboard/mouse and they don't want to plug in a controller? or it is bigger than that?
    Last edited by shepard; 04-29-2014 at 15:06.

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    The problem with Dark Souls was because the developer wasn't used to the PC platform, they build Dark Souls 2 for the ground up on PC and it has shown considerably what Dark Souls on PC should have been like.

As for me, I always go PC over consoles simply because I know I can play the game well into the future without any problems and also I can mod the game to death so that it's gameplay value will be much higher. Also I get to set the graphics and resolution to be anything I want. Peripherals are also a big plus on the PC side as there's more PC peripherals than a console could wish for.

All-in-all the PC has customisability per game where a console game has zilch. 120Hz + any resolution + modding = best system for 3rd party games.

The reason Ubisoft had a negative reaction in the PC community was because of the always on DRM, Anno 2070 stopped me from purchasing more games from them till they sorted that out. Now though there's no problem. As with a console experience with the power of a PC - that's what your Steambox is for.

Forum Sage

PC over console each time is a no brainer. I would only buy exclusives for consoles.

As pointed out, I will be able to play games from the 'last generation', mod support and an a round better experience for resolution and frame rate - two very important aspects of gaming.

For me (not everyone) consoles don't really cut it as a high end gaming platform, too many compromises, stuck with fixed hardware and you never really get the full fat experience.

I'm yet to buy either console and I don't even have a feeling to buy either yet. They don't give me what I want for how much money you'd have to invest. For that reason I'll be spending the money I would've on the new consoles on a 2560x1440 G-Sync screen and another GPU. Much better value for myself.

Not to take anything away from those who prefer consoles of course. They're good at what they do.

BBK.. Tapa. Talked.

Racing Game Fanatic
    PSN ID
    gold106gti
    Items Title StyleVitaPS3 Slim
    Don't get me wrong I have enjoyed PC gaming in the past such as Command and Conquer and Doom but for me you just can't beat a console when it comes to gaming! I know and accept that PC gaming can be much more of an experience but I have always grown up as a console gamer and that is where I shall always play my games!
    PSN ID: gold106gti

Twitter ID: Duffman1986

My New Youtube Gaming Channel: Duffman Gaming

10. Likes Lethal likes this post
    Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Only if they are not FPS will I buy them on consoles.
    However right now I do not own a current gen console or working last gen console. These days consoles tend to break down more than they used to.

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Items VitaiPhone BlackGran Turismo 5PS3 FatTommy Vercetti3DS

Consoles = comfort
    Me too. If I can choose, I take the sofa/console combo.

On the move with Tapatalk
    ~Corporate Media Propaganda - Welcome to your Daily Matrix~

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by MjW View Post
    I take the sofa/console combo.
    What's wrong with the PC/sofa combo? Steam OS, wireless joypad, sorted. Even if it did run Windows you can get a minute keyboard+touchpad for $20 that's no bigger than your open hand and you can then navigate to the game you want and then use the gamepad. And yes the PC can be smaller than a console.

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Items VitaiPhone BlackGran Turismo 5PS3 FatTommy Vercetti3DS
    I did the PC/sofa for a while, wireless gamepad and all. I don't know why it didn't stick, I loved the graphics but that was pretty much the only thing. Might have been the windows. I found it complicating and in the end I just got the games I could on consoles and the few PC strategy games I played by the computer desk.

On the move with Tapatalk
    ~Corporate Media Propaganda - Welcome to your Daily Matrix~

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Even if you get a controller to work well with the games the OS of windows is not designed to eb used so far fromt he screen, everything is too small.

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    In that case it's a good thing that SteamOS has arrived and more developers are porting their games to Linux.

17. Likes MjW likes this post
    Friendship is Carrots
    There's never been a situation where I regarded choosing a console version of a game over the PC version to be a wise decision. It provides a lesser experience at a higher cost.

I know some people prefer the couch/living room, and that's fine. I do too. But I'm also perfectly comfortable in my chair at my desk. I prefer gaming on the PC because it gives me so much control over my experience, and it's also where all my gaming friends also play games anyway.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

Forum Sage

Do you ever have a reason to buy a game on console if it's also on PC?

Yeah I think that's the thing for me. Most of my friends game on PC also so I have no need to game anywhere else.

I also prefer mouse and keyboard to pads but I mostly play shooters or games that require some degree of accuracy.

Lastly, I know many people feel they get engrossed by a big screen but I find being sat at a desk actually makes me feel more into the game than being sat across a room.

There's currently nothing, outside of what the Wii U does, that can't be done on my PC either currently or by buying the necessary peripherals.

Obviously I can only speak of my own experiences though.

BBK.. Tapa. Talked.
    Last edited by BBK..; 04-30-2014 at 12:18.

20. Likes Nerevar likes this post
    PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    The PC can do what the WiiU does.

I was playing Rayman with my nephew yesterday, he was using the gamepad while I was using my tablet. It worked surprisingly well.

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Same as Lethal. Prefer the comfort of a big screen and chilling in a comfy chair or couch holding a gamepad in my lap. Frankly, I never even consider the PC version of any game. Just doesn't make sense when I have so much invested in the console experience and it isn't like I'm even close to running out of console games to play. Plus, I'm hunched in front of a PC 8-12 hours a day already so...
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Forum Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Varsh View Post
    The PC can do what the WiiU does.

I was playing Rayman with my nephew yesterday, he was using the gamepad while I was using my tablet. It worked surprisingly well.
    Well in that case anything it can do we can do better

I think I've just grown out of consoles really. They don't give me what I want. Though that might change when Destiny comes out. Who knows.

I must admit, I'm someone who plays games until I fall asleep so I imagine playing on a sofa would have it's perks vs falling asleep at my desk like I do so much

BBK.. Tapa. Talked.

Super Elite
    For games I can only get on console I choose my PS4 but otherwise PC all the way.
    Sent from my computer using keyboard.

Elite Guru
    Items Naughty DogMetal Gear SolidPlayStation
    Exclusives and sports titles are the reason I'll keep a console around. Other than that I've been slowly transitioning to PC since 2010.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    There is something that I have noticed, Europeans tend to be more inclined to have a PC as the primary gaming machine over a console, or is that just me?

Superior Member
    I have a fairly capable gaming PC, but I still buy my games on the console, not really sure why either it's wierd!!

What's more strange is that it's an Alienware X51 (I wanted something small and couldn't be bothered to build my own)recently upgraded to an i7 3770k, 16GB RAM and an Ati R9 270x so it's fairly powerful too. Plus I use a pad when gaming on it so it's like I'm using a console anyway.

I must be crazy right??!!

Oh and it's hooked up to the same TV as my PS4 and PS3!!
    Last edited by Bhindi_Bhajji; 05-15-2014 at 15:47.

Friendship is Carrots
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhindi_Bhajji View Post
    I have a fairly capable gaming PC, but I still buy my games on the console, not really sure why either it's wierd!!

What's more strange is that it's an Alienware X51 (I wanted something small and couldn't be bothered to build my own)recently upgraded to an i7 3770k, 16GB RAM and an Ati R9 270x so it's fairly powerful too. Plus I use a pad when gaming on it so it's like I'm using a console anyway.

I must be crazy right??!!

Oh and it's hooked up to the same TV as my PS4 and PS3!!
    Yes.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

Thread Information