Help building a pc.

I'm considering buying a pc for gaming. I haven't got a clue what I'm meant to be doing some say amd cpu and amd graphics card best combo for gaming others say intel cpu is better with any graphics card and others say nvidia is way better but too pricy compared to amd for what you get, the more research I do the less I know what to buy. I live in the uk and was wondering if somebody could help me with some specs around 700-1000. That'll be for everything except monitor. I'm looking at playing arma3, dayz, bf4, planetside2 type games. Any advice would be welcomed
    Last edited by dj1979; 04-30-2014 at 14:38.

Forum Sage
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I'll reply to this thread a little later but if on a budget I'd say Intel for CPU and an AMD for GPU. Should be able to build a decent rig for that money

BBK.. Tapa. Talked.

Quote Originally Posted by BBK.. View Post
    I'll reply to this thread a little later but if on a budget I'd say Intel for CPU and an AMD for GPU. Should be able to build a decent rig for that money

BBK.. Tapa. Talked.
    Thanks was thinking intel and amd after seeing a few benchmark tests with amd and intel.

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    For up to 1000 you can get a beast of a machine, however if possible I would wait a bit longer if possible as the new GFX cards and Intel sockets are changing. Personally though I would always go Nvidia over AMD, but it seems that AMD vs Nvidia has been going on for years and years based on people's own experiences. I have never had any luck with AMD/ATI cards and when I used to work at a LAN Arena we initially went with ATI cards, all the games constantly required fixes and wotnot, we eventually upgraded to Nvidia cards and we never had to fix a thing. Ever since then I have been Nvidia only.

Forum Sage
    I agree Varsh. I got bit quite bad by ATI as they were when I had a 5870 crossfire set up. Their driver support was awful. They've supposedly got better now and on a budget they're hard to best when it comes to priceerformance

BBK.. Tapa. Talked.

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Quote Originally Posted by dj1979 View Post
    I'm considering buying a pc for gaming. I haven't got a clue what I'm meant to be doing some say amd cpu and amd graphics card best combo for gaming others say intel cpu is better with any graphics card and others say nvidia is way better but too pricy compared to amd for what you get, the more research I do the less I know what to buy. I live in the uk and was wondering if somebody could help me with some specs around 700-1000. That'll be for everything except monitor. I'm looking at playing arma3, dayz, bf4, planetside2 type games. Any advice would be welcomed
    with those games in mind, i'd say go for an intel CPU + AMD GPU.

Those games lie heavily on a single core, and while they are able to use more cores, having better single core performance will yield better performance. As many games are single threaded.

HOWEVER,

you might want to wait a while and save up some cash. DX12 and Mantle API's allow more cores on the CPU to do more work. So the FX 8320-8350 might be better money.

Watch Dogs recommends the 8 core 8350 and intel i7. You might get some idea of how it performs for future games going off that.

But, with the here and now in mind:

Intel i5 4670k
    AMD R9 290X <- recommend Gigabyte for better colling (the card needs it)
    Any mid range motherboard from Asus, Gigabyte etc. will suffice. if you wanna chase CPU overclocks get a better one though.
    Any RAM, this one will do.

I would wait a while though. In highly threaded applications the AMD CPU's match the i7's. If gaming moves that way, you might be better off saying money and going AMD for CPU (and getting a GTX 780 ti maybe?)

EDIT:
    Plus, as Varsh said, there is a bunch of new coming to almost every component this year also. Intel, AMD, and Nvidia.
    Last edited by Fijiandoce; 04-30-2014 at 15:25.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Forum Sage

Help building a pc.

Another thing. Get on YouTube and watch some videos from LinisTechTips. He really, really knows his stuff. And HardwareCanucks. Both my go to places for hardware reviews.

Edit. I built my friend a PC in January with a Sapphire Toxic R9 280x and that plays battlefield ultra settings without a hiccup 1920x1080 around 60-70fps

BBK.. Tapa. Talked.
    Last edited by BBK..; 04-30-2014 at 15:32.

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    Nakatomi_Uk
    Items Intel Core i7PS3 SlimFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VII
    You can buy a I5-I7 Ivy Bridge and still have years worth of gaming to come defo go with Windows 7 64bit as your op system and 8GB DDR3 RAM as the starting point if you can afford 16GB and it still not limit you somewhere else then go for it. But CPU/GPU if where you want the money to be and 3rd a decent motherboard, it doesn't have to have SLI or Crossfire support just a board with 16x PCI-E 3.0 and your good to go. For Intel CPU set-up try and get a board with a INTEL chipset and I would buy a SSD drive 128GB for the operating system and a 1TB drive for a games music etc to keep everything at top speed, my rig below is like this and everything loads extremely fast.

Win 7 Ult 64bit, Gigabyte Z68AP-D3 Rev.1/Bios F8 , INTEL i7 2600k 3.40ghz, Crucial Ballistix Elite 8GB DDR3 1866mhz (1600mhz@1.60v), Crucial 128GB M4 SSD, Seagate 500GB 7,200rpm, Hitachi 1TB 7,200rpm (Back-Up HDD), HIS 7850 2GB GDDR5 PCI-E Card, OCZ Fatality 750 Mod PSU, LG DVD-RAM RW

Dedicated Member
    There's little reason not to get the AMD R9 290x, though with that money you might back down to the 280x.
    16GB DDR3 RAM (Yes, this much is necessary, don't listen to the naysayers, get 4x4 now).
    256-512gb SSD boot drive (this and the RAM will keep your texture swaps and virtual memory system from slowing you down).

Your choice of multi core platform, but I would recommend the Intel platform for performance, AMD for value.
    I'd prefer an i5 over high end AMD and the i7 rule the roost.

I would not get AMD APU for any reason as a high end machine.
    They make great cheap all purpose units but not high end gaming.
    Once you have the dedicated video card you want to dedicate your processor die to CPU.

I'm personally running 2 older machines. i7 970 24gb RAM and Radeon 6950 2GB and a i7 3930k 64GB RAM (mostly a server) with a 670OC4GB and those 'older' vid cards are fine for everything on 1080p.
    I just don't care so much, i do turn some features down just because I don't need so much filtered at that high rez.

More GPU and less CPU than I have would be best for gaming.
    Last edited by John Willaford; 05-01-2014 at 20:19.
    Sleeping very soundly on a Saturday morning I was dreaming
    I was Al Capone
    There's a rumour going round, gotta clear outta town
    I'm smelling like a dry fish bone
    Here come the Law, gonna break down the door, gonna carry me
    away once more
    Never, never, never get it any more
    Gotta get away from this stone cold floor
    Crazy
    Stone cold crazy, you know

Thread Information