Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 5
    Forum Overseer
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Varsh View Post
    My rig cost me about 750 at the time excluding the monitors, those were just an absolute fluky bargain. Mid-range is a PC around the 500-600 mark.
    that's mid-range for someone who is a PC enthusiast. just 500 pounds is about $850 here. which i'd actually consider a bit less than high-range.

600 pounds is over $1000 here.

now i know this is a bit harsh but this is exactly the reason why closed box is the way to go and why it is the only way we can and should progress. PCs are getting too bulky and inefficient.
    Last edited by Omar; 05-02-2014 at 15:12.

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Varsh View Post
    • Intel i7 3820 (keep in mind that i7's are no faster than an i5 in games)
    • Nvidia GTX 680 2GB reference card
    • 16GB DDR3 RAM
    • 3x Samsung S23A700D 3D monitors

This machine is over 2 years old now and I haven't had to have a single upgrade. This machine was built as a workstation at the time and it's starting to feel the strain in the graphics card department.
    That's a pretty good machine you have there though would put it in the high end of the spectrum, that GTX 680 going to pack a punch for a fair while. Though with you gaming on 3 monitors that 2GB is going to strain.

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    now i know this is a bit harsh but this is exactly the reason why closed box is the way to go and why it is the only way we can and should progress. PCs are getting too bulky and inefficient.
    Yeah that is a bit harsh :P

I'd say there is plenty room for PCs and consoles moving forward. I see it as a symbiotic relationship, PCs doing regular hardware updates, testing what works and refining processes, Consoles then periodically bring up the base line of gaming hardware. We are going to see what a highly programmable and flexible GPU is going to be able to do in a closed system, which will then carry over to PCs. We have already seen the side effects of the next gen consoles going heavily multicore with mantel and DX12 pushing greater CPU utilisation.

Having said all that, an decently kitted out ITX system can be packed into a mighty small space these days.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Captncoke49
    If this was a sim, then 30fps would be a let down. But it isn't so I don't have an issue with it. I've had a ton of fun with PGR and Grid. Their frame rates never bothered me. GT and forza are fun too but I think sims need to be 60fps since close to real is their goal. My .02

Thread Information