Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    Sad, but true. Alotta people feel that if its not some high budget AAA title its just not worth their time or money. Thats too bad to. They are missing out on some diamonds in the rough.

Sent from my One using Tapatalk
    PCs are very much like Air Conditioners.
    They both become utterly useless once you start to open up Windows....
    ----------------------------------------------

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    HermesTheGod
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercrow View Post
    As long as it doesn't effect Sony's first party output and doesnt get used as a replacement for AAA exclusives then I'm ok with it. I'm not interested in these games personally.
    This

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Items User name styleOne Piece
    Majority of them is a joke tho. I agree with OP, don't care if sony supports them to death as long as they don't lose their attention to big projects. But they definitely should seperate indies in ps store. It takes too much time to pass over them.
    (_)
    ( _)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

MyAnimeList
    Currently playing GOW:A
    Next : Last of Us, One Piece : Pirate Warriors 2

Forum Overseer
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    i see no reason why they would lose attention to bigger projects when that is their ticket to success. they can't afford to lose focus.

PSN ID
    xKuruptx23
    Quote Originally Posted by Shingo View Post
    Majority of them is a joke tho. I agree with OP, don't care if sony supports them to death as long as they don't lose their attention to big projects. But they definitely should seperate indies in ps store. It takes too much time to pass over them.
    I agree they need to put them in their own section, but also I feel it seems like their are so many because their isn't as many tripe A titles to go along with them in the store.

PSN ID
    Blazergamer007

What's with all theses silly games ?

''Indy games'' doesn't mean Ports or remakes from old games with 8 bit graphics. Look at Zen Pinball, for years they have been able to deliver an original format that's fun with great graphics for a cheap price.

Sent from my Aspire V5-561P using Tapatalk
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Blazergamer; 05-01-2014 at 21:21.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Yeah I think those of us who are critisising are talking about these retro looking games which is cool and all but some just take the piss and blatantly rip off older games, whereas something like Retro City Rampage was actually trying to do GTA in 8 bit which hasn't really been done. I'd still rather play GTA1 or 2 but that's beside the point.

Bottom line though I think most of these indie devs just choose this artstyle because it's easy and quick to make, not like thatgamecompany that actually put in a **** ton of detail and deserved the praise for the likes of flower.

So yeah there's indie devs which are awesome, then lazy pieces of **** teams ripping off other peoples ideas.

Please help our Final Fantasy Community get off the ground:
    http://forums.final7fantasy.com/

8. Likes Admartian likes this post
    Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Naxi View Post
    These indies aren't retro games, you can't get them from past generations.
    Yeah, conceptually, and I'm a bit biased being an indie, the idea "should" be that you can use lower grade assets to make a vision of the game you want, but homage to the past should only go so far.
    I say conceptually cause I went through a few those games and I really had a hard time distinguishing for example Escape Ghost 2 and Spelunky.

Don't get me wrong I love the concept of indies. But really, cloning something is not indie, it's what indies strive NOT to be, and what many of them dislike about the main games industry.
    You have to bring you "own thing" to a game. Some do. I'm seeing a lot that are generic platform retro inspired games.

But they will learn, you either innovate or dissipate.

10. Likes Malt likes this post
    Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronSOLDIER View Post
    Sonic Boom! I think it already probably is, even if just somewhat.
    I disagree. I know I've got MLB The Show next week, The Order coming and even Driveclub this fall. Plus some uannounced new first party ips that we'll propably see at E3. So no, I dont see that happening just yet. Plus Sony has always started each gen with titles just trickling in and then builds up momentum as the gen continues. Basically the polar opposite of MS who has historically started off strong and then starts putting the brakes on as the gen continues. But I think E3 will tell us the story either way.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 05-01-2014 at 23:23.

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    Yeah, conceptually, and I'm a bit biased being an indie, the idea "should" be that you can use lower grade assets to make a vision of the game you want, but homage to the past should only go so far.
    I say conceptually cause I went through a few those games and I really had a hard time distinguishing for example Escape Ghost 2 and Spelunky.

Don't get me wrong I love the concept of indies. But really, cloning something is not indie, it's what indies strive NOT to be, and what many of them dislike about the main games industry.
    You have to bring you "own thing" to a game. Some do. I'm seeing a lot that are generic platform retro inspired games.

But they will learn, you either innovate or dissipate.
    which isn't any different than regular developers that have publishers. i'd argue that i see more of that with regular developers than indie.

13. Likes darky89 likes this post
    Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    which isn't any different than regular developers that have publishers. i'd argue that i see more of that with regular developers than indie.
    Well the idea is indies are supposedly free of those constraints of having to follow what will supposedly sell. Its more concerning that there seems to be a lack of ides by some beyond copying an old 8 bit platform design.
    There are plenty of good ides out though, for sure. Just a little concerning that a certain style is being popularized for no real reason that it what these indies feel close to. I know intimation is the sincerest form of flattery but, surely you want to do your "own thing".
    There is a fair few Jet Set Willy clones out there (probably not a game popular in America?).
    I cant tell you much about my current project but I can tell you there isn't anything I've seen like it out there (and it aint 2d).

15. Likes AaronSOLDIER likes this post
    Forum Overseer
    it may be an issue, just that i haven't noticed it with popular indies...i actually don't know of many games like that, unless they were popular already.

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    it may be an issue, just that i haven't noticed it with popular indies...i actually don't know of many games like that, unless they were popular already.
    Well you tell me....

This is one popular theme, there there is the very similar style, but the graphics are replaced with "flash player" style graphics.

I had an idea for a magic pockets style game, but the plethora out there put me right off...

Elite Member
    While I too find this slightly annoying, I find the industry's fascination with re-releasing EVERYTHING these days is infinitely more annoying...

Seems like every other announcement these days is about some game being sold again, but this time "slightly updated for current consoles"...it's no wonder Sony and Microsoft said to hell with backwards compatibility lol...

19. Likes Shingo , AaronSOLDIER , faaeng likes this post
    Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    Well you tell me....

This is one popular theme, there there is the very similar style, but the graphics are replaced with "flash player" style graphics.

I had an idea for a magic pockets style game, but the plethora out there put me right off...
    well, the middle two look cool. and like i was saying, who even knows about these games?

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    That's how I feel towards these silly games:

But you know how it is, different strokes for different folks and all that.

I think the more games that exist the better, more options for people. I like a lot of 'retro styled' indie games for genres I don't have any nostalgia for because they are just good games

Elite Member
    well, the middle two look cool. and like i was saying, who even knows about these games?
    Spelunky is immensely popular and had record breaking first week sales when it was released on XBLA...

I've never played or was interested in playing all these Spelunker clones, but I've definitey seen and heard about them a lot...especially being around these gaming websites...

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercrow View Post
    I disagree. I know I've got MLB The Show next week, The Order coming and even Driveclub this fall. Plus some uannounced new first party ips that we'll propably see at E3. So no, I dont see that happening just yet. Plus Sony has always started each gen with titles just trickling in and then builds up momentum as the gen continues. Basically the polar opposite of MS who has historically started off strong and then starts putting the brakes on as the gen continues. But I think E3 will tell us the story either way.
    Yeah maybe, I just see how Sony has closed down a lot of studios the past few years and don't seem to be setting up new ones or expanding current ones, yet all these indie games are constantly popping up from funding that should be going into 1st party.

Please help our Final Fantasy Community get off the ground:
    http://forums.final7fantasy.com/

Veteran
    (Edit) I guess they are funding them through their Pub Fund.
    Last edited by faaeng; 05-02-2014 at 03:45.
    PCs are very much like Air Conditioners.
    They both become utterly useless once you start to open up Windows....
    ----------------------------------------------

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronSOLDIER View Post
    Yeah maybe, I just see how Sony has closed down a lot of studios the past few years and don't seem to be setting up new ones or expanding current ones, yet all these indie games are constantly popping up from funding that should be going into 1st party.
    Actually I've been reading articles about Sony hiring for different positions for people to work with high end graphics for new PS4 projects that are being worked on. So it would seem they let one group go only to hire another group for other projects.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 05-02-2014 at 04:20.

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzano-O View Post
    While I too find this slightly annoying, I find the industry's fascination with re-releasing EVERYTHING these days is infinitely more annoying...

Seems like every other announcement these days is about some game being sold again, but this time "slightly updated for current consoles"...it's no wonder Sony and Microsoft said to hell with backwards compatibility lol...
    it's not all that bad. actually it's better to do this than not. BC costs money, you pay the cost. i didn't use BC. but if i want a game or two from previous gen, then that's more efficient to me.

also, they sometimes update the game to take advantage of the current consoles. it works well. there are times i wouldn't play a game on my PS3 but might on my PS4. that's the appeal. heck, i wish all of my games on PS3 were transferrable to my PS4.

anyway, with PS Now, you can play a lot more for probably a decent price, which we will see if it is decent.

Super Carlton
    PSN ID
    JMEWalterblack
    Items PS3 Slim360 SlimiPhone 4 BlackGears of WarGoogle ChromeManchester UnitedUser name style
    i didnt buy my next gen console for spectrum/amstrad games

Thanks to Final for the sick sig!

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by 33x View Post
    i didnt buy my next gen console for spectrum/amstrad games
    don't think there are many of them out there. honestly, i didn't even know these existed. there are plenty of very good indie games out there that provide the perfect package.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    JDizzleNO1
    Items Diablo IIIMetallicaUser name styleDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverPS3 Fat
    only in this day and age are people *****ing about more games instead of less smh

30. Likes darky89 likes this post
    Veteran
    Items Manchester United
    More games = more choice...win win.

Thread Information