Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 4
    Master Poster

Quote Originally Posted by mistercrow View Post
    But I'm keeping an eye on how this retro and indie games focus plays out and how it affects or hopefully doesn't affect AAA first party output.
    Why would indie games affect the AAA output? You do know indie means there's no publisher behind the game right, so why would a big publisher like Sony get affected by 3 people making a game in their parents basement?

The fact is that the budgets for AAA games have gotten higher than they were 5-10 years ago, which results in fewer AAA games. The indie games have nothing to do with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    it doesn't matter, it's an outlier.
    You could say the same about AAA games like COD and GTA. Most AAA games doesn't come near what the COD or GTA series does.

PSN ID
    BMK2K7
    Most indie games are like mobile games in my opinion not worth my time.

3. Likes 33x likes this post
    Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Items User name styleOne Piece
    Most indies are waste of time but experiencing games like journey, unfinished swan worths ten times more than having a COD collection for me.

HTC One X cihazımdan Tapatalk kullanılarak gönderildi
    (•_•)
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

MyAnimeList
    Currently playing GOW:A
    Next : Last of Us, One Piece : Pirate Warriors 2

Forum Overseer
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkVincent07 View Post
    along with candy crush, clash of clans, jetpack joyride and dozens more? yeah nah. Far from an outlier
    do you realize how much money farmville made as opposed to candy crush, and the rest? and how many people played the game?

i don't deny that indie, especially the ones on social websites are on the rise, but they still haven't created a stable market yet. you have a dozen or two really popular games and then games that are, i'm sure, profitable but not nearly enough to keep an entire company going...more like a few people.

i wouldn't mind games like farmville on PS4, not at all, i actually enjoy some of the ones i've played on my facebook.

the only reason i mentioned farmville to be an outlier is because the guy i replied to, was implying that it would be worth it for Sony to actually start focusing on indies rather than what their bread and butter is at the moment, which is big budget games or medium-budget but still high production values.

indies aren't profitable enough and popular enough to focus on them primarily. though i'm sure they would focus on it as a secondary thing. it's possible they might scrap some series that weren't popular last gen and bring out more indies, low risk, low budget, low amount of time and can mean decent profits. they can put out tons more indies than a couple of exclusives that sold a couple of mil each. like Afrika...but i don't think that even sold a mil.

otherwise, i see them keeping to their guns, you know, what got them here so far...even after everyone thought they wouldn't spend money on games...because apparently they don't have money...whereas they thought MS would spend more on games and hardware because they have more money. you know, usual stuff, people being people.

The Dawkness!
    PSN ID
    ElNaxi
    Indie games mobile games social games (of course, some are). Stop confusing every smaller game with each other, lol. There are also varying sizes, Bohemia, Insomniac(now), and Frictional are indies, they can make bigger games. Not to mention Sony can pick up some talent from these.

My name isn't a misspelled Nazi,god****.

7. Likes mynd likes this post
    Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by Naxi View Post
    Indie games mobile games social games (of course, some are). Stop confusing every smaller game with each other, lol. There are also varying sizes, Bohemia, Insomniac(now), and Frictional are indies, they can make bigger games. Not to mention Sony can pick up some talent from these.
    oh no i agree with you, but i'm not mixing them up. and i didn't mean to downplay indies. i love them. just that technically FB/mobile games are also indie so it was difficult for me to describe it.

The Dawkness!
    PSN ID
    ElNaxi
    oh no i agree with you, but i'm not mixing them up. and i didn't mean to downplay indies. i love them. just that technically FB/mobile games are also indie so it was difficult for me to describe it.
    Candy and Farmville creators King and Zynga definitely aren't indie.

My name isn't a misspelled Nazi,god****.

Forum Overseer
    Candy and Farmville creators King and Zynga definitely aren't indie.
    yeah i don't know too much about them. they might have a publisher, i doubt they started with a publisher though. anyway, my point was that these are outliers. farmville made billions, it didn't make the console industry crumble and everyone rushing to make FB games. because it's an outlier.

just like the whatsup app. 19 billion dollars. the app cost $1. these aren't the trends or the general concensus. these are things that just sort of happened.

but i do understand that mobile/indie are on the rise. i think eventually it will become a bigger part of console industry but it doesn't mean that Sony is going to close studios and start focusing on indie/mobile games.

they might put a little extra money in there, but that won't be their primary focus. they can't woo people with indies alone, they can however keep them happy with it.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    I have MAME if I want to be retro
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1DpKC0c5mM

That being said, Mame isn't the most straightforward emulator to use. Easier than MUGEN, I guess. All I wanted were the games we had at my school when I was a kid: Pengo, Centipede, Tron, Joust, Missile Command, Donkey Kong... Oh, and Ninja Turtles and King of Fighters, which we didn't have, but gotta have those. I think I got one ROM to work.

There's a difference between games that existed and games mimicking old games, though. Neither one bugs me much, but it can be frustrating to have to buy the same game 10 times and I wish more indies would try games with modern visuals... Thing is, there are some very beautiful HD games that just happen to be side scrolling or otherwise 2d (Braid and Limbo come to mind) and beautiful remakes (Bionic Commando Rearmed and Duck Tales HD) so I don't see the real problem with this. There are still new "pretty" games coming. Nothing wrong with more games.
    Last edited by bobtheduck; 05-05-2014 at 18:51.

Forum Overseer
    emulators aren't convenient, that's why only a few people use them. i did but i'd still enjoy the games on a console.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    thanatos144
    My point is the reason indie games are on PlayStation is because they make money. Fun is fun whether you feel above it or not

tapatalk post

14. Likes JDizzleNO1 , faaeng likes this post
    Superior Member
    PSN ID
    JDizzleNO1
    Items Diablo IIIMetallicaUser name styleDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverPS3 Fat
    Quote Originally Posted by thanatos144 View Post
    My point is the reason indie games are on PlayStation is because they make money. Fun is fun whether you feel above it or not

tapatalk post
    exactly, right now the games are lacking, and to help with that a bunch of indies are coming out. remember the first year of the ps3? nothing like this, i can't imagine how people would react if it were like that again.

can't please everybody i suppose.....

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Dude-in-the-Room
    Items Led ZeppelinDreamcastDead NationArnold SchwarzneggerUser name style
    I grew up in the 80's during the NES days and even played on the Atari and Colecovision before I knew what was really going on.

I'll say this:

I will never look back and want the days of old. The "silly" games and retro games are good for some ppl and thats all fine and dandy, but I will never. I'm too in love with current gen and whatnot.

The only older game I play is Tribes 2 and that was from 2000. The only reason I play that game is b/c it's the best FPS ever created.....EVER.

But still I only play it about a couple of times a week. I love the graphics of now....I love the stories of now....I love the experience of now. I can't play an 8-bit game and get the experience I can out of something like Second Son.

Do I miss Mega Man and old school Mario? Sure....but I'm happy with the stuff that has been coming out.

Master Poster

There are also varying sizes, Bohemia, Insomniac(now), and Frictional are indies, they can make bigger games. Not to mention Sony can pick up some talent from these.
    Insomniac is not indie. Every game they have made, and are making, is funded by a publisher.

Forum Overseer
    right, they are an independent developer but they always have a publisher, used to be Sony, now whoever wants their games.

Master Poster

they are an independent developer but they always have a publisher
    Now you're contradicting yourself a bit

Forum Overseer
    i mean, they are an indepdent developer now but i suppose they make games only when someone likes their idea or want to publish it. they don't have a dedicated publisher.

they were technically independent before too, i'm sure they had a contract of some sort with Sony. they weren't first party from what i recall.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redman_DK View Post
    Now you're contradicting yourself a bit

Master Poster

i mean, they are an indepdent developer now but i suppose they make games only when someone likes their idea or want to publish it. they don't have a dedicated publisher.

they were technically independent before too, i'm sure they had a contract of some sort with Sony. they weren't first party from what i recall.
    You can't be independent when you're dependent on a publisher....

Indie developers live off the money they saved up, and they don't get any salary untill they sell copies of their game, if the game doesn't sell they are ****ed, and lost all the money they used on it.

What Insomniac games do is they come up with an idea for a game, and then they try to sell it to a publisher. If a publisher likes the idea and wants to publish it, that publisher pays the salary for Insomniac games, and everything else that comes with it.

If you're interested in knowing about indie developers, I can recommend Indie Game: The Movie. It really shows how indie developers spend all their money on their game, and have to turn every penny they got to survive.

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by Redman_DK View Post
    You can't be independent when you're dependent on a publisher....

Indie developers live off the money they saved up, and they don't get any salary untill they sell copies of their game, if the game doesn't sell they are ****ed, and lost all the money they used on it.

What Insomniac games do is they come up with an idea for a game, and then they try to sell it to a publisher. If a publisher likes the idea and wants to publish it, that publisher pays the salary for Insomniac games, and everything else that comes with it.

If you're interested in knowing about indie developers, I can recommend Indie Game: The Movie. It really shows how indie developers spend all their money on their game, and have to turn every penny they got to survive.
    exactly right, i figured selling your idea meant freelancing, in essence being independent.

Apprentice

I am not a fan of Indie titles, never will be but doesn't mean I think they shouldn't be around.

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by BMK2K7 View Post
    Most indie games are like mobile games in my opinion not worth my time.
    highly disagree.

Ultimate Veteran
    Remember all those articles people were writing about mobile gaming killing consoles about eight months ago? The indies were willing to take a bet on next-gen and the PS4. They are small and agile enough to get in while the AAA stuff is a ways off because big publishers were wary of making large investments on Gen8.

Buy indie. Support next-gen. It really is that simple. Your dollars turn these small studios into bigger ones.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefein View Post
    Remember all those articles people were writing about mobile gaming killing consoles about eight months ago? The indies were willing to take a bet on next-gen and the PS4. They are small and agile enough to get in while the AAA stuff is a ways off because big publishers were wary of making large investments on Gen8. Buy indie. Support next-gen. It really is that simple. Your dollars turn these small studios into bigger ones.
    Good point.

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefein View Post
    Remember all those articles people were writing about mobile gaming killing consoles about eight months ago? The indies were willing to take a bet on next-gen and the PS4. They are small and agile enough to get in while the AAA stuff is a ways off because big publishers were wary of making large investments on Gen8.

Buy indie. Support next-gen. It really is that simple. Your dollars turn these small studios into bigger ones.
    who knows, the next EA could be right around the corner

Veteran
    who knows, the next EA could be right around the corner
    A new PopCap wait.. PopCap is EA now.... XD

Sent from my One using Tapatalk
    Last edited by faaeng; 05-08-2014 at 21:35.
    PCs are very much like Air Conditioners.
    They both become utterly useless once you start to open up Windows....
    ----------------------------------------------

Thread Information