Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Dedicated Member
    Items User name style

[UPDATED]Jonathan Cooper,animation director AC III joins Naughty Dog!

[UPDATE - THE MAN SPEAKS]

Since moving to Canada almost a decade ago I’ve been making games that involve hundreds of characters with hours upon hours of systemic and open-ended narrative. Now I look forward to channeling all that energy into an altogether more intimate story and cast of characters. As of late February I am now based in sunny Santa Monica, California working with the talented guys and girls at Sony’s Naughty Dog studio on the next installment of the Uncharted series for Playstation 4.

Naughty Dog

When working at an art-centric studio such as Ubisoft Montreal I had been hard-pressed to find anywhere that takes video game animation as seriously as there, but I’ve long held Naughty Dog up as a titan in video game animation, ultimately being won over by their game-changing work on The Last of Us. It’s no understatement to say, in my opinion, that that game has set a new standard for tone and characterisation in video games.

As for California itself, it’s amazing how driving around LA is a lot like touring GTA5 only with better graphics and a worse car, and you really can’t beat the weather. After the great Canadian north I’ve had enough snow to last a lifetime, and my wife and I are likely never going to get used to living this close to the beach. Surprisingly, Santa Monica is actually very bike-friendly with many things within walking distance, (including work), so the car gets used even less than in Montreal.

This job is very different from what I’ve done in the last few years. Animators are expected to build levels, code rudimentary scripts, and not only animate but direct and even star in the motion-capture – all autonomously with no production staff or meetings to speak of. It’s quite a change from the rigid structure a multi-studio collaboration like Assassin’s Creed requires, but after over a month here I am certain this project is going to be another milestone in game animation. As ever, I really look forward to sharing what we’re working on in the future…

Jonathan Cooper, former animation director on Assassin's Creed III and lead animator on Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2, has moved over to Naughty Dog.

According to Cooper's LinkedIn account, his new position at Naughty Dog is simply that of animator. Before leaving Ubisoft and following Assassin's Creed III, Cooper was working on a unannounced project with Ubisoft, "Prototyping a revolutionary new kind of navigation system for next-gen systems."
    Ehrr ma GAHD! What is happening at at NAUGHTy DoG! THIS THE END!

ca.linkedin.com/in/gameanim
    Last edited by victorijapoosp; 05-06-2014 at 15:49.
    You can't be serious with the 30 megabyte signature... ~ Staff

Maths is biased! It keeps telling me the PS4 is 50% more powerful than XboxOne!
    Great song, should have more views :'(

SHIMAASAAAANIIII!!!!!
    http://i.imgur.com/bP50xuM.png

2. Likes mistercrow likes this post
    Extreme Poster
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    and what was i saying? they know how to hire people, they will be fine.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    HermesTheGod
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    and what was i saying? they know how to hire people, they will be fine.
    Was anyone really that worried? lol

Extreme Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
    Was anyone really that worried? lol
    you missed all the drama lol.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    He sure did. OMG whats happening at ND? Theyre doomed! Oh nohz! lol

Extreme Poster
    You can have the best people from the entire industry but what keeps a company going strong is its culture first and foremost. that's why Sony continues to do well with in-house development because they have a strong culture within.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    People complained that uncharted was getting stale, Sony gets rid of some talent to make way for fresh faces and people go crazy about it

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Extreme Poster
    UC was definitely stale. i actually always saw it as a mixed bag. some things it did really well, others...just ok. but the game was done at its second iteration. i really really hope they don't make another without going back to the drawing board.

Ultimate Veteran
    I wonder what revolutionary new kind of navigation system this guy was prototyping.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Dude-in-the-Room
    Sounds good.

I agree with others. UC2 really took me by surprise and I really enjoyed it when it was all said and done. UC3 is good so far...but some of the things really blow my mind...not in a good way.

The mechanics of some of the things are just half assed or something.

TLOU was top notch, so lets hope they can keep that sort of thing up.

Edit: Started playing UC3 some more to try and finish it. I have to say that the gun mechanics in these games are just horrid. I feel as if I have to move the control stick half way around the world just to move aim a little bit.

I just hate it.

I didn't notice it too much in UC2...but throughout my time with UC3 I'm getting more and more frustrated.

Other than that the game is a great experience.
    Last edited by Locomotive; 05-06-2014 at 07:43.

Extreme Poster
    yup, that's always been my problem with UC. gun mechanics are dumb and boring. to many casuals, it may not matter or they might even find it great...which i understand because they're likely not shooter fans. the aiming is not smooth.

i would much rather enjoy the game if the gun fights weren't a big part of it, because it is. i would much rather it was an action game without all the aiming and shooting.

in that respect, i really liked UC2 and UC3 as well.

though UC3 had better gun mechanics and aiming for me. UC2 was just...kiddish.

Racing Game Fanatic
    PSN ID
    gold106gti
    Items Title StyleVitaPS3 Slim
    So it's not all bad news then
    PSN ID: gold106gti

Twitter ID: Duffman1986

My New Youtube Gaming Channel: Duffman Gaming

Dedicated Member
    Items User name style
    yup, that's always been my problem with UC. gun mechanics are dumb and boring. to many casuals, it may not matter or they might even find it great...which i understand because they're likely not shooter fans. the aiming is not smooth.

i would much rather enjoy the game if the gun fights weren't a big part of it, because it is. i would much rather it was an action game without all the aiming and shooting.

in that respect, i really liked UC2 and UC3 as well.

though UC3 had better gun mechanics and aiming for me. UC2 was just...kiddish.
    Quote Originally Posted by Locomotive View Post
    Sounds good.

I agree with others. UC2 really took me by surprise and I really enjoyed it when it was all said and done. UC3 is good so far...but some of the things really blow my mind...not in a good way.

The mechanics of some of the things are just half assed or something.

TLOU was top notch, so lets hope they can keep that sort of thing up.

Edit: Started playing UC3 some more to try and finish it. I have to say that the gun mechanics in these games are just horrid. I feel as if I have to move the control stick half way around the world just to move aim a little bit.

I just hate it.

I didn't notice it too much in UC2...but throughout my time with UC3 I'm getting more and more frustrated.

Other than that the game is a great experience.

I disagree with these post. Uncharted, all 3 were my favourite PS3 games prior to TLOU! for anyone complaining about aiming, replay these games with a DS4, you will feel an instant difference.
    Last edited by victorijapoosp; 05-06-2014 at 14:46.

SHIMAASAAAANIIII!!!!!

Extreme Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by victorijapoosp View Post
    I disagree with these post. Uncharted, all 3 were my favourite PS3 games prior to TLOU! for anyone complaining about aiming, replay these games with a DS4, you will feel an instant difference.
    irrelevant. i enjoyed playing games with the DS3. it's not the controller because there were perfectly smooth games out last gen. BF3 wasn't bad actually. it was ok.

COD was smooth as ****, the best out of them all. I played SOCOM games on DS2...almost as good as COD, maybe even better in some ways due to the custom settings they gave us (that no other shooter has ever given to the extent).

it was their design or whatever you want to call it. they did well for a casual title but not as well compared to other established shooters.

Dedicated Member
    Items User name style
    irrelevant. i enjoyed playing games with the DS3. it's not the controller because there were perfectly smooth games out last gen. BF3 wasn't bad actually. it was ok.

COD was smooth as ****, the best out of them all. I played SOCOM games on DS2...almost as good as COD, maybe even better in some ways due to the custom settings they gave us (that no other shooter has ever given to the extent).

it was their design or whatever you want to call it. they did well for a casual title but not as well compared to other established shooters.
    I meant, imagine what UC4 will be like. I get the feeling TLOU ps4 will have a higher difficulty because the controller is much better.

SHIMAASAAAANIIII!!!!!

Extreme Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by victorijapoosp View Post
    I meant, imagine what UC4 will be like. I get the feeling TLOU ps4 will have a higher difficulty because the controller is much better.
    I'm sure UC4 will improve on that and the controller does make it easier. no doubt.

and previous gen games would also play better with the DS4 but there are games out there that just have smoother controls.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Theres still recent comments posted today in other threads talking about "the trouble ND is in" and "I'm really worried about them." Lmao!

Extreme Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercrow View Post
    Theres still recent comments posted today in other threads talking about "the trouble ND is in" and "I'm really worried about them." Lmao!
    you only have to look at the company's history and realize how strong their culture is.

same can be said about Bungie e.g.

Ultimate Veteran
    And here you are replying to the same post as before. Fishing for likes?

Extreme Poster

Ultimate Veteran
    I'm just saying these aren't exactly new posts...

He sure did. OMG whats happening at ND? Theyre doomed! Oh nohz! lol
    You can have the best people from the entire industry but what keeps a company going strong is its culture first and foremost. that's why Sony continues to do well with in-house development because they have a strong culture within.
    you only have to look at the company's history and realize how strong their culture is.

same can be said about Bungie e.g.
    Last edited by Metal King Slime; 05-06-2014 at 18:37.

Extreme Poster
    it was a reiteration, because what i said so far has turned out to be true. i think it deserves a reiteration.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    HermesTheGod
    Just saw the thread you all are talking about.

lol'd @ teh panic

Extreme Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
    Just saw the thread you all are talking about.

lol'd @ teh panic
    honestly, i don't blame anyone. and i'm not trying to act ****y as if i knew something all along. but i had a pretty good guess that they would be fine because of the reasons i gave out.

heck, you could argue the same about bungie, they lost some people too. probably a lot more than ND ever did and they are now making Destiny which is likely going to be a big seller.

I certainly hold bungie a bit higher in regards because they totally revolutionized the shooter industry...so did IW and while they had to milk the halo series, i knew they had it in them, which is why they left MS. but i wouldn't ever think that bungie wouldn't bounce back because their culture seems to be strong...even though their track record is shorter than ND's.

ND are tough sons of *****es. they will figure it out. it's like a rich guy going broke, he'll figure it out (you can switch that out for a female for those that are about equality, just goddamn easier to use a guy in an example).

PSN ID
    xKuruptx23
    Naughty Dogs is probably my favorite studio, and any addition to the team from a well established franchise such as AC is a good deal in my book!

Thread Information