Superior Member
    PSN ID
    JDizzleNO1
    Items Diablo IIIMetallicaUser name styleDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverPS3 Fat

Holy Hell what a difference!

So today I was running into issues with my launch edition of my ps4. lately i can hear the HDD clicking, and it seems to have been running quite sluggish. not only that, but the saved data of my games kept failing to upload to cloud and the updates for my games wouldn't install. so I decided to do a HDD wipe (under the initialize option)....

and boy what a difference now! my ps4 is going into standby twice as fast, its booting up so much faster to the XMB, and everything is working silky fast, AND the HDD noise has seem to vanish for now!

any tech heads can explain why this happened? and here is some good info for anybody having issues with their ps4

Administrator
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    An SSD would work even better ...though poor price to performance ratio on PS4.

My guess would just be fragmenting of the HDD. For example, Warframe PS4 should be running a script in a coming update to de-fragment their file system. every Update warframe has released has fragmented the HDD - For those who haven't wiped the drive, expect a noticeable boost to load times when that patch goes live.

With every 50 odd GB game being required to install now + update, i expect there is a bit of fragmentation going on.

THAT BEING SAID!!!

audible clicking noises from the HDD is seldom a good thing. The wipe could have removed data from, or mapped, corrupted sectors. Chuck it into a laptop (via USB) and try to read its S.M.A.R.T values...not trying to worry you or anything, if its working it working

when it's not....well, it won't be
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

3. Likes Shingo likes this post
    Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Possible bad sector on the drive and the format found the bad sector and now tells the system to not use it.

Ancient
    I think you could have done that without wiping the HDD, you could on PS3
    Rebuild Data Base I think did it although I'm not sure if it was that particular option, one of them did it.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

"Xbox is about to become the next water cooler”

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    JDizzleNO1
    Items Diablo IIIMetallicaUser name styleDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverPS3 Fat
    Quote Originally Posted by TGO View Post
    I think you could have done that without wiping the HDD, you could on PS3
    Rebuild Data Base I think did it although I'm not sure if it was that particular option, one of them did it.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk
    yeah im not to terribly sure how to do that, but what i did worked great so far!

Quote Originally Posted by JDizzleNO1 View Post
    So today I was running into issues with my launch edition of my ps4. lately i can hear the HDD clicking, and it seems to have been running quite sluggish. not only that, but the saved data of my games kept failing to upload to cloud and the updates for my games wouldn't install. so I decided to do a HDD wipe (under the initialize option)....

and boy what a difference now! my ps4 is going into standby twice as fast, its booting up so much faster to the XMB, and everything is working silky fast, AND the HDD noise has seem to vanish for now!

any tech heads can explain why this happened? and here is some good info for anybody having issues with their ps4

Hate to tell you this, But your HDD will crap out soon...it might not be today or tommorow..but it will happen sooner rather than later, The smart thing to do is start saving up for a new HDD, So you are ready for the dreaded click of death.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    JDizzleNO1
    Quote Originally Posted by snarerush View Post
    Hate to tell you this, But your HDD will crap out soon...it might not be today or tommorow..but it will happen sooner rather than later, The smart thing to do is start saving up for a new HDD, So you are ready for the dreaded click of death.
    right i figured that, just a matter of when.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Sryche
    Items Guerrilla Gamesid Software
    I too am also noticing that my PS4 is running more sluggish, and that my Killzone saves are not auto-uploading (whenever I boot up the PS4 and load into the main UI, I immediately receive a notification that it couldn't be uploaded)

I believe there are a few glitches with the 1.70 update and hopefully this may be solved with the 1.71 update I've begun reading about.

I've tried rebuilding the database, but that hasn't seemed to fix the problem.

"Don't Be Surprised If You Mind When You Find Me." ~ Life of Agony

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    JDizzleNO1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sryche22 View Post
    I too am also noticing that my PS4 is running more sluggish, and that my Killzone saves are not auto-uploading (whenever I boot up the PS4 and load into the main UI, I immediately receive a notification that it couldn't be uploaded)

I believe there are a few glitches with the 1.70 update and hopefully this may be solved with the 1.71 update I've begun reading about.

I've tried rebuilding the database, but that hasn't seemed to fix the problem.
    try doing what i did, its a pain downloading all the stuff again but it is worth it if it fixes the issue

Forum Overseer

Quote Originally Posted by JDizzleNO1 View Post

it's possible they ****ed up the initial install.

also, OS sometimes **** up for no reason. though i'm surprised this happened to a linux OS.

EDIT: Nvm, Linux, IIRC messes up more...but then again, this is a closed OS and shouldn't do that. Sony is to blame.

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    The clicking is usually do to drive seek activity (head moving to different sectors to grab data.) While this could be signs of a drive going bad if you have some bad sectors, it doesn't necessarily mean that it actually is going bad, it could be that the data is pretty fragmented which is what Fiji mentioned.

A sector could have gone been going bad, and it got marked as bad. In general the HDD's will mark the sectors as bad, that said, the OS will attempt to read these to recover data, but should never write to them again. It really depends on the OS, but most would move attempt to move all data to other parts of the disc when this occurs. But if not it could have multiple seeks to read the data (assuming it's not modified.)

Unfortunately we don't really have a crystal ball to say how Sony implemented this, but a wipe and no problems afterwards and based on how significant the problem was, I'd guess that you got a few bad sectors on the drive.

Does this mean impending doom? Not necessarily, you'd be surprised how many HDD's have bad sectors (or sectors fail during their life.) These typically don't spread to damage other sectors unless there's been physical damage such as a head crash and you have debris from the head crash, which isn't going to happen unless you drop your PS4 while the drive is being accessed (i.e. not very likely.)

That said, if you have all your gamesaves backed up on the cloud, and you have halfway decent broadband service to download a few of your important games immediately (and the rest over time.) I'd not be to concerned about it. If it does fail in the future, go buy a 1TB HDD and slap it in place.
    Last edited by TAZ427; 05-06-2014 at 22:07.

13. Likes JDizzleNO1 , Omar likes this post
    Superior Member
    PSN ID
    JDizzleNO1
    yeah it started up again last night, im wondering if it is a mess up on sonys part. i do plan on getting a TB HDD soon, but i did notice still that the audible clicking is gone. the problem again im having is the saves not uploading, but updates i haven't gotten yet. i know warframe is getting title update 13 this week, if it can't install im going to be pissed!

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Items VitaiPhone BlackGran Turismo 5PS3 FatTommy Vercetti3DS
    The save uploading fail is a general problem. I have it too. Sony will squash this bug eventually.

On the move with Tapatalk

~Corporate Media Propaganda - Welcome to your Daily Matrix~

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    atrin1
    not to thread jack or anything but the save uploading problems you guys are talking about is the auto save up to PS+ cloud right?

I've noticed after the 1.7 my infamous will have an error message in Notifications/Uploads stating that it could not upload my saved progress to the cloud.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    JDizzleNO1
    yes atrin it is, and ok thanks for the clarification i thought it was my HDD taking a poop

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    atrin1
    thanks jdizzle my nizzle :-p

19. Likes JDizzleNO1 likes this post
    Super Elite
    You've probably deleted the HDD cache.
    Sent from my computer using keyboard.

That's strange that you are having issues since it's only several months old. Unless you bought it used, then you have no ideas where it came from or what the previous owner did.

You should try seeing if the warranty can cover repairing it before you go out and buy a new HDD.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    JDizzleNO1
    no skilledjerk i bought it on launch, the clicking of the HDD has gone away since i did it, but im still having the uploading issues, but now i changed my password and it stopped.....which is double weird

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    vinny_pizza79
    Yeah, I get the upload issue with ghosts, probably just some bug that came after the recent update so you are not alone my friend.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Veteran
    Items Manchester United
    Not jacking the thread but has i had my first failed install which was the playroom update. Downloaded and then said it could not be installed. Playrooms **** anyway, but has anyone else had this issue?

Thread Information