Superior Member

COD: How would you make it?

If you were in charge of COD. What would it be like?

Anything goes so feel free to answer freely.
    Mouth Pounding since 95'

Friendship is Carrots
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I wouldn't. That's problematic thinking. I would end the series and work on something entirely new.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    LordVenger
    Items User name style
    How about change it to "If you could design a war themed first person shooter from the ground up, what kinds of features would you include?"

My problem with COD (and other modern war themed first person shooters) aside from the thin stories and characters is that it is so dependent on scripting and check points, there's next to nothing that is emergent or random. What I'd bake into a shooter is variation. The maps have different paths, sometimes they are open, sometimes they aren't. Maybe one attempt there's a pile of rubble blocking the easy path, the next time there isn't. I'd have all the enemies random as well, change them up, have them in different locations, with different mixes and weapons, change their tactics. Every time you play the game should be different, force you to adapt on the fly to new situations. Maybe one attempt has snipers in over look positions, the next has an embedded machine gun nest, the next has units that pursue you from behind, and so on. There shouldn't be any way to learn the quirks of a stage and just take advantage of them. Another thing I hate about the check point system of COD is that you can get almost literally endless bad guys if you don't pass the check point, I would make reinforcements dependent on the bad guys in that location, if you can kill the guys with radios before they call for help no one else shows up. Conversely, you could hide guys with radios around the stage and force the player to find them and kill them. Nothing should be linear, there should always be different ways to tackle a stage, hell I'd even include hidden paths to be found that the player could use to bypass any fighting at all, and just get to the mission objective. Imagine a stage where the normal route is to fight or sneak your way into an enemy position to plant explosives, there might be several routes for each path, but hidden away if you can find it is a special path that takes you to an enemy missile launcher that allows you to blow up the objective without ever having to find it and fight your way in. Or maybe there's a way to disguise yourself as an enemy and walk openly among them. COD pretty much forces you down a linear path, it controls when things happen, how they happen, it controls how you have to play a stage, what route you use, even to a degree how fast you should be moving. It wants to be cinematic, show you all the dazzling set pieces, but the more it looks like a movie, the less like a game it feels.

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    How about change it to "If you could design a war themed first person shooter from the ground up, what kinds of features would you include?"

My problem with COD (and other modern war themed first person shooters) aside from the thin stories and characters is that it is so dependent on scripting and check points, there's next to nothing that is emergent or random. What I'd bake into a shooter is variation. The maps have different paths, sometimes they are open, sometimes they aren't. Maybe one attempt there's a pile of rubble blocking the easy path, the next time there isn't. I'd have all the enemies random as well, change them up, have them in different locations, with different mixes and weapons, change their tactics. Every time you play the game should be different, force you to adapt on the fly to new situations. Maybe one attempt has snipers in over look positions, the next has an embedded machine gun nest, the next has units that pursue you from behind, and so on. There shouldn't be any way to learn the quirks of a stage and just take advantage of them. Another thing I hate about the check point system of COD is that you can get almost literally endless bad guys if you don't pass the check point, I would make reinforcements dependent on the bad guys in that location, if you can kill the guys with radios before they call for help no one else shows up. Conversely, you could hide guys with radios around the stage and force the player to find them and kill them. Nothing should be linear, there should always be different ways to tackle a stage, hell I'd even include hidden paths to be found that the player could use to bypass any fighting at all, and just get to the mission objective. Imagine a stage where the normal route is to fight or sneak your way into an enemy position to plant explosives, there might be several routes for each path, but hidden away if you can find it is a special path that takes you to an enemy missile launcher that allows you to blow up the objective without ever having to find it and fight your way in. Or maybe there's a way to disguise yourself as an enemy and walk openly among them. COD pretty much forces you down a linear path, it controls when things happen, how they happen, it controls how you have to play a stage, what route you use, even to a degree how fast you should be moving. It wants to be cinematic, show you all the dazzling set pieces, but the more it looks like a movie, the less like a game it feels.
    Bohemia would like a word with you

well...mostly

I'm with Rapture, i wouldn't. Hang it up to sit and be remembered (for what it's worth to each and their own). Do something different.

I'd probably venture into the realm that CCP and Bungie are toying around with if someone were to put a gun to my head though. Open battlefields, connected worlds, persistent character etc. none of this annual release bullcrap.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Fried in batter with chips and salt n vinegar.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Dude-in-the-Room
    Items Led ZeppelinDreamcastDead NationArnold SchwarzneggerUser name style
    I would turn it into an MMO. teehee

/dodges thrown veggies

Racing Game Fanatic
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Items Title StyleVitaPS3 Slim
    Take it back to WW2 for a start, and make the campaign a LOT longer!
    PSN ID: Duffman19864

Twitter ID: Duffman1986

My New Youtube Gaming Channel: Duffman Gaming

8. Likes Vaas likes this post
    Forum Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post

My problem with COD (and other modern war themed first person shooters) aside from the thin stories and characters is that it is so dependent on scripting and check points, there's next to nothing that is emergent or random.
    -- snip --
    Pretty much this.

Currently it's silly that some points of the game is lot easier to just run trough infinite enemies into random building, kill dude upstairs and die to get forward..
    'no, no one in their sane mind uses OpenGL on PS3' - Repi
    'nope, PS3 uses a wonderful low-level API called libgcm' - Repi

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    HermesTheGod
    I'd stop releasing a new one every year. Plain and simple.

Forum Sage

Take it to the American Revolution of 1776.

PSU Live Streamer
    I'm not the biggest FPS fan to begin with, so I'm perhaps ill-equipped to answer that question but I'll take a stab at it.

The series needs to stop being made, at least for a long while. Give people a reason to crave the game. Nobody actually craves the game anymore. They all want it. They all buy it every year. But there is no sensation that it's missing from your life.

Certain games can be done yearly and get away with it (tho thats subjective opinion). I do not feel FPS is not one of them. Especially if it's heavily focused on multiplayer. At that point just release multiplayer addons....theres no need for a completely new game to be printed to disk.

Come find me on Twitch.tv!

Dedicated Member
    Items User name style
    Stop killing brown people. infact, you play the brown people going into liberate 'Murica from right wing nutjobs that inexplicably found themselves in power.
    You can't be serious with the 30 megabyte signature... ~ Staff

Maths is biased! It keeps telling me the PS4 is 50% more powerful than XboxOne!
    Great song, should have more views :'(

SHIMAASAAAANIIII!!!!!
    http://i.imgur.com/bP50xuM.png

Thread Information