Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    KungenMartiin

Job Interview at Gamestop

Hai guise.

Just wanted to ask you guys for some recommendations or tips on what I should say/prepare for the interview. Something you think would improve my chances of getting the job.

Any input much appreciated (=
    Last edited by KungMartin90; 05-11-2014 at 22:52.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Here is how I got the job.

1. You interview them. Ask them what they can do for you.

2. Let them know that you are wanting to move up the ladder quickly. Let them know that if there is no room for you to flourish and climb the ranks quickly, then this is not the job for you.

3. Make them feel like they need you.

Because of these steps, I have never been turned down for a job in my entire life.

3. Likes KungMartin90 , Ghost likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal View Post
    Here is how I got the job.

1. You interview them. Ask them what they can do for you.

2. Let them know that you are wanting to move up the ladder quickly. Let them know that if there is no room for you to flourish and climb the ranks quickly, then this is not the job for you.

3. Make them feel like they need you.

Because of these steps, I have never been turned down for a job in my entire life.
    I'm sorry but you're too qualified for this entry level position. *Hands back resume*

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

5. Likes hoverbike likes this post
    Elite Sage

Job Interview at Gamestop

I agree with Lethal. Interviews are very much about you getting as much information from them as they do to you. Always be confident in what you can do and honest about what you can't. Interviewers respect honesty rather than blatantly lie as they see through it.

Confidence is the main one though. Retail jobs need confident workers who interact well with strangers.

Good luck man. I'm sure you'll do fine!

Edit: I know it's a game shop but I personally wouldn't give them the long spiel in how you love video games. Make a point that you like and play them but the point you really want to drive home is that you are a good seller and that you understand the basic fundamentals of retail commerce and how they'll make most of their money from add ons. They're out there to make money. Demonstrate you can do that for them whilst having fantastic customer service.

BBK.. Tapa. Talked.
    Last edited by BBK..; 05-12-2014 at 10:47.

7. Likes KungMartin90 likes this post
    Apprentice
    PSN ID
    welshboymick
    Prep some answers in your head for generic questions like "What do you see yourself doing in 10 years' time?", "So what makes you stand out over other candidates?" and "Why Gamestop?" (especially this one if you seem overqualified or you've done other jobs unrelated).

Quote Originally Posted by BBK.. View Post
    Edit: I know it's a game shop but I personally wouldn't give them the long spiel in how you love video games. Make a point that you like and play them but the point you really want to drive home is that you are a good seller and that you understand the basic fundamentals of retail commerce and how they'll make most of their money from add ons. They're out there to make money. Demonstrate you can do that for them whilst having fantastic customer service.
    BBK.. Tapa. Talked.
    Don't go overkill on the gaming talk, but I presume the interviewer is going to ask at some point whether you do play games, or why you want to work at Gamestop. This should be your chance to show off your knowledge, as you can't be a good seller of a product without knowing something about what said product is. You have to show that. If they do ask why do you want to work there, then say you play a lot of video games, have done for a long time, consider yourself an expert or whatever. That's why you want to work there. Enthusiasm goes a long way. Just don't go overkill.

Also dress smart, turn up 10 minutes early, bring any certificates/qualifications that are relevant, a copy of your CV/Resume, keep eye contact (but don't stare).

Master Guru
    Items FuturamaGoogle ChromeAmerican DadHalf-Life 2Battlefield 3User name style

BBK.. Tapa. Talked.
    This!!

Of course it's a good thing to have an interest in gaming for a place like Gamestop. But they're looking for a good employee not a gaming buddy.
    Stay professional. Don't turn up in a box showing them how much you love MGS.

[Edit] I realise I didn't make myself as clear as I meant to. Like BBK said, don't neglect the fact you like playing and discussing games, just put yourself forward as an employee first. In other words, I didn't actually have anything interesting to add. So, to that end, here's what BBK said again - and what I'd like to echo.

BBK.. Tapa. Talked.
    Last edited by darky89; 05-13-2014 at 04:40.

Don't Steal. Don't Molest Little Children. Don't Deal Drugs.

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    - Mention you know a wide variety of systems
    - Good at problem solving (for customers)
    - Know it is a sales position, accessories are key to every purchase.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Veteran
    Items Manchester United
    Just be yourself...if that ain't enough...**** em...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Heat195
    Quote Originally Posted by welshboymick View Post
    Prep some answers in your head for generic questions like "What do you see yourself doing in 10 years' time?", "So what makes you stand out over other candidates?"
    If an interviewer asked me that, I'd say, "I can't answer that as I don't know any of the other candidates and never met them. I have no information about the other candidates and they are as good as invisible in this hiring process."

13. Likes Ezekiel likes this post
    Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by hoverbike View Post
    If an interviewer asked me that, I'd say, "I can't answer that as I don't know any of the other candidates and never met them. I have no information about the other candidates and they are as good as invisible in this hiring process."
    Is that some sort of inside information on how to answer that question, or literally what you would say?

As that looks like an answer that is confident without being arrogant.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    KungenMartiin
    Thanks a lot guys. Appreciate your inputs. I think the first post by Lethal was very helpful. Because the fact is that the first time I met the boss, he told me he wants soemone to eventually replace him. I was like absolutely, haha. I just really hope my studies will give me time to be the boss. As far as I know it's not too time consuming.

Please don't stop posting tips and recommendations if you have any (:

16. Likes Lethal likes this post
    Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Where do you see yourself in 10 yrs? At the midnight launch for PS5. What makes you stand out from the other candidates? I platinumed Infamous in one afternoon.

Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercrow View Post
    Where do you see yourself in 10 yrs? At the midnight launch for PS5. What makes you stand out from the other candidates? I platinumed Infamous in one afternoon.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    KungenMartiin
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercrow View Post
    I wish I platinumed Infamous SS so I could say that, haha :D

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by KungMartin90 View Post
    I wish I platinumed Infamous SS so I could say that, haha
    Me too. lol

Just be formal and show that you can work as a professional. I'm sure everyone who comes in there loves to play games, so they already know that about you. Show them how you will get work done and interact with the customers.
    Watch my PS4 Lets Plays! www.youtube.com/skilledjerk

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Heat195
    Quote Originally Posted by darky89 View Post
    Is that some sort of inside information on how to answer that question, or literally what you would say?

As that looks like an answer that is confident without being arrogant.
    That's what I'd literally say. Seems like a silly question.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    InkedOne78
    Items Joker (limited ICON)
    Just tell them you post on the PSU forums. They will hire you in a split second.

24. Likes $Greatness$ likes this post
    Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KungMartin90 View Post
    Thanks a lot guys. Appreciate your inputs. I think the first post by Lethal was very helpful. Because the fact is that the first time I met the boss, he told me he wants soemone to eventually replace him. I was like absolutely, haha. I just really hope my studies will give me time to be the boss. As far as I know it's not too time consuming.

Please don't stop posting tips and recommendations if you have any (:

So your not in sweden?

What part of the country are you in.
    I would say that it's an intermediate job between now and something good.

During the interview don't use street slang and dress well with your shirt tucked in, despite the dress code there.
    Let them know what systems you own, like to play, and your extra curricular activities because they want to know your well rounded.
    Don't give them the impression that you have a 'busy' life though, because they want someone they can abuse and call in all hours anyday any time (i'm just speaking the truth here).

You'll want to take the beating you get during the holiday from customers processing trade in and fighting off shoplifters and raise your level of customer service and awareness to a higher level then try moving onto a company that offers better pay.

Their pay structure is barebones. I know from experience. I was a manager and the last straw for me was getting flack for hiring someone for a quarter dollar above minimum wage because they were excellent at customer service and merchandising and a cool goth chick my customers would love to talk to, boys and girls, and it meant i got them instead of Hot Topic. I will say though, that, policies like that are dictated by horrible upper managers, depending on who they are that would not have happened to me in the other regions at the time.

I did that while I was in college and could have made more money elsewhere but fell into the comfort trap.

I wish you much fun and enjoyment in your job, just remember to provide excellent customer service, clean the cubbyholes and the bathroom, and keep a smile on when the uppers are around,lol.
    Last edited by John Willaford; 05-16-2014 at 16:42.
    Sleeping very soundly on a Saturday morning I was dreaming
    I was Al Capone
    There's a rumour going round, gotta clear outta town
    I'm smelling like a dry fish bone
    Here come the Law, gonna break down the door, gonna carry me
    away once more
    Never, never, never get it any more
    Gotta get away from this stone cold floor
    Crazy
    Stone cold crazy, you know

happy birthday

Their pay structure is barebones. I know from experience. I was a manager and the last straw for me was getting flack for hiring someone for a quarter dollar above minimum wage because they were excellent at customer service and merchandising and a cool goth chick my customers would love to talk to, boys and girls, and it meant i got them instead of Hot Topic. I will say though, that, policies like that are dictated by horrible upper managers, depending on who they are that would not have happened to me in the other regions at the time.

I did that while I was in college and could have made more money elsewhere but fell into the comfort trap.

I wish you much fun and enjoyment in your job, just remember to provide excellent customer service, clean the cubbyholes and the bathroom, and keep a smile on when the uppers are around,lol.

Just be formal and show that you can work as a professional. I'm sure everyone who comes in there loves to play games, so they already know that about you. Show them how you will get work done and interact with the customers.

During the interview don't use street slang and dress well with your shirt tucked in, despite the dress code there.
    Let them know what systems you own, like to play, and your extra curricular activities because they want to know your well rounded.
    Don't give them the impression that you have a 'busy' life though, because they want someone they can abuse and call in all hours anyday any time (i'm just speaking the truth here).
    Last edited by Lethal; 05-18-2014 at 01:35.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    So, did you win?

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    KungenMartiin
    ^I think so. I'll hear from them in a few days.

Thread Information