Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style

Sony's Fiscal Data is out.....

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/fina.../13q4_sony.pdf

Still reading it, but it appears only pictures music and financial services made any money.

*1.25bn loss.

* Games segment lost 78 million for the year (60 of which was PC write off -see quote below) -which equates to only 6% of their total loss's.

This year-on-year
    deterioration was primarily due to an increase in costs
    related to the launch of the PS4 as well as the recording of
    a 6.2 billion yen (60 million U.S. dollars) write-off of
    certain PC game software titles so
    ld by Sony Online Entertainment
    LLC, partially offset by the above-mentioned
    increase in sales.

*3.7 million PS3/PS4 units were sold in the 1/4.

*For the quarter Game made a loss of 10.5 bn yen, given that 6.2 would be in that, would mean an actual operating loss of around 4.3bn (about 41 million?).

*Forecasting 17 million PS3/PS4 units sold in the coming year.

Overall given the write off, I'd say they would be happy with how game segment performed.

Sony hit 7 million PS4's sold to consumers as at 31/3, and given 4.2 PS4 were sold last 1/4 then at least 2.8 of that 3.7 million would need to be PS4's.
    Last edited by mynd; 05-14-2014 at 11:07.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    snooper71
    Items Naughty Dog
    I really thought they would partner with Lenovo for the PC market at one point or another.

Now,
    -They need to get rid of that PC segment **** that has done nothing for them in years.
    -Do away with low/mid range TV (the Koreans have them beat at lower price points and now Vizio with the M series are top contenders) concentrate on niche High End market.
    -Make sure to green-light proper projects for pictures/music segment. They have so much content but are all over the place with it. Merge, rearange, get your ecosystem working for you.
    -Remain competitive on the game front.

It's gonna take time, but they can get back on their feet.

Next Gen top picks:
    PS4: Infamous SS, DriveClub
    One: Project spark, Forza 5
    Multi: Watchdogs, The crew, FFXV, KHIII

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    I'm really surprised at the drop off in PS3 sales so quickly, they must have sold less than a million units this 1/4.
    A very large portion of that 17 million forecast must be PS4's.

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    The PC games side of things would mostly be attributed to EverQuest Landmark and EverQuest Next. When those two are released then the PC games side will be profitable again.

Master Sage

Almost everything improved from the previous financial however which is good news.

Two did not, funny enough one was gaming (due to launch costs of the PS4)
    and the other being 'devices' which according to the financials had a significant drop due to flooding.

Forum Sage
    Items FuturamaGoogle ChromeAmerican DadHalf-Life 2Battlefield 3User name style
    Sony bosses will return bonuses as firm preps for BILLIONS in losses
    Red-splattered Japanese company battens down hatches

Sony's top brass are set to return their bonuses as the limping Japanese company struggles with predicted billion-dollar losses.

Some 40 execs will hand back their Brucies*, which account for between 30 and 35 per cent of their total pay, on the suggestion of chief executive Kazuo Hirai.

The Japanese giant is due to unveil its results tomorrow and they are expected to be bad.

Just last week, Sony suggested it would post a whacking $1.3bn loss, blaming the shortfall on "additional expenses” due to its sale of a loss-making PC business to the investment fund Japan Industrial Partners.

Back in February, Sony confirmed it would axe 5,000 workers when it made this sale.

It also blamed the decline in demand for physical media, which probably means Blu-ray discs aren't exactly flying out of the door.

Sony said it will put a hold on development of OLED (organic-light emitting diode) tellies and focus on 4K high-def goggleboxes to get its business back on track.

Brucienote
    Brucie Bonus. A phrase that will be familiar to any Reg reader who watched Play Your Cards Right, which featured eternal telly presenter Bruce Forsyth.
    Source:http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/05...eturn_bonuses/

If only bankers were the same.

Don't Steal. Don't Molest Little Children. Don't Deal Drugs.

7. Likes VayMasters86 likes this post
    Dedicated Member

Regarding their TV market, I think their biggest issue is that they're beat or even on practically every front. TV imaging isn't too discernible from one to the next when compared to their competitors equivalent resolution. 4K is 4K, 1080p is 1080p. Most people immediately look at the higher price as being unjustifiable. The Sony brand name doesn't justify the higher price.

Features, there's not much if anything they offer currently that you can't get from Vizio, Samsung, or any others, Playstation Now in the future, maybe, but not right now. Once again it comes down to price. They're brand doesn't justify the higher price any more.

Sony has two things going for them, first of which is that they're a big company with a lot of arms. They need to find a way to leverage that in every way possible, either that or accept that their brand isn't worth the extra cost and find a way to really compete on price, they'd be able to outlast a lot of the other companies.

The second is quality, but most people accept that they'll need to replace their products in 5-10 years anyway, maybe if Sony could increase their warranty's and future proofing, and actually advertise it, that might help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparc View Post
    For goodness sake I hope nobody thinks to start labelling the console an Xbrick,
    oops
    -Regarding the Xbone A.K.A. the Xbrick

"Faith - that's another word for ignorance isn't it?" -House

Dedicated Member
    Items User name style
    -Removed-

Anyway edit:
    Almost $800m spent on getting rid of the PC division[depreciation and amortisation]. This is a one time cost that will not repeat next year. The company actually made an operating profit [ebitda] of $250ish million this year.
    Last edited by Nerevar; 05-14-2014 at 17:05.
    Maths is biased! It keeps telling me the PS4 is 50% more powerful than XboxOne!
    Great song, should have more views :'(

SHIMAASAAAANIIII!!!!!
    http://i.imgur.com/bP50xuM.png

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by darky89 View Post
    I read that Kaz took a 50 percent pay cut himself and some other honchos were going to take a cut as well. Sony forcasted a 1.27 billion loss so they were close with it being 1.25 billion.

Forum Overseer

Quote Originally Posted by darky89 View Post

then how will they control the world?

12. Likes darky89 likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    It'll come good but internally they still need some work on mass market appeal.
    I just hope they don't close their TV business because I think my Bravia is the best for an LCD, i'll probably cry if it ever dies.

-[ Final Fantasy VII: PS4 & PC || No Xbox ]-

Ultimate Veteran

The surest sign that you are on the right side of a debate is when you find yourself against those who are stuck in the past because they have no future.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Dude-in-the-Room
    Items Led ZeppelinDreamcastDead NationArnold SchwarzneggerUser name style
    They might need to streamline the HDTV department but I hope they don't become only ultra high quality.

I have a 32 inch 1080p Sony Bravia and holy hell....I love it. It's the best TV I've ever had....not owned....I'm talking the 3 TVs I was given from my parents when I was young.....this one is the best.

I use it every...single...day....all...day....long...and it still works flawlessly. It was around $550 and I got 3 HDMI ports.

I hope they still make smaller HDTVs or the like.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Locomotive View Post
    They might need to streamline the HDTV department but I hope they don't become only ultra high quality. I have a 32 inch 1080p Sony Bravia and holy hell....I love it. It's the best TV I've ever had....not owned....I'm talking the 3 TVs I was given from my parents when I was young.....this one is the best. I use it every...single...day....all...day....long...and it still works flawlessly. It was around $550 and I got 3 HDMI ports. I hope they still make smaller HDTVs or the like.
    550 bucks for a 32inch? Wow, no wonder Sony is getting beat so bad by Samsung.

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercrow View Post
    And Toshiba, and LG Philips, and Panasonic, and... yeah you get the picture.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Varsh View Post
    And Toshiba, and LG Philips, and Panasonic, and... yeah you get the picture.
    Pun intended? lol

Community and Technical Manager
    PSN ID
    Cand3Js
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercrow View Post
    yeah....I bought a 39" Samsung for my office for less than 400.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Dude-in-the-Room
    Items Led ZeppelinDreamcastDead NationArnold SchwarzneggerUser name style
    Well this was back in 2009 and the contrast ratio is high.

I found back then that most of the HDTVs that were lower in price didn't look as good due to the contrast ratio and all that.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    yeah....I bought a 39" Samsung for my office for less than 400.
    Yep exactly. I got lucky and bought a 40 inch 1080p 120hz Samsung LED for 500. That model was going for 999 at the time but it was out of the box and no manual at BB so they heavily discounted it with their open box policy. But yeah I've seen other 40 inch Samsung models going for less than 400 like you said.

Dedicated Member
    I've haven't been impressed with sony TV's since after they resorted to bravia lcd's. Their SXRD (which was a variant of LCoS) grand wegas were quite impressive, but with the high costs and efforts to manufacture the tech and the declining demand of rear projection TV's in favour of lcd's, they just gave it up. And of course their crt's in the 90s and 80s were the part. The problem with bravia lcd's is not that they are bad, they offer decent enough picture, they just don't do anything which makes them stand out among the competition, plus they are overly priced than the competition. Neither has sony come out with something unique which makes their lcd's stand out (like sharp's 4 colour RGBY technology), nor have they managed to cut down on manufacturing costs. As a result, they have been facing tough competition in the tv market for quite a few years now. They have also put a hold on further R&D on OLED tech. It will be interesting to see how the migration towards UHD/4K bravias works out for them. It hasn't been a great start because the few UHD TV's they have been offering for a couple of years have not sold well, but that could largely be attributed to the lack of real 4K content. Once 4K content penetrates the market, then it'll be their true test of UHD's vs those of competitors, and whether they can make a comeback in the tv market.

Thread Information