Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 7 1 ... LastLast
    PSN ID
    IshTing

Xbox One could become more powerful without Kinect processing

Quote Originally Posted by VG247

Microsoft’s Yusuf Medhi has confirmed that the firm is in internal discussions about how its dropping of mandatory Kinect requirements could free up more processing power for games. He’s also said that those early adopters who paid for Kinect have a “premium” experience.

Speaking with Polygon, Microsoft’s corporate vice president for devices and studios Medhi said that the decision to drop Kinect from its bundles came after months of serious discussion, and that both developers and publishers were made aware of the change in advanced.

Except, it seems, Kinect developing studio Harmonix, who responded to the news with surprise on Twitter.

Speaking with the site, Medhi said, “We remain deeply committed to the Kinect as a core component of a next-generation console. We think that the bio-metric sign-in, voice controls of the menu, ability to say ‘record that’ and capture a moment of gameplay are all critical to the experience.

“We have never wavered from that since the launch.”

He added, “The decision we’re announcing today is offering a choice to people that would allow people to buy an Xbox One and then ramp up to Kinect when they can afford to,” and claimed, “We have over 80 million people who have yet to buy Xbox One.”

When asked if any compensation would be given to those early adopters who paid for Kinect, Medhi replied, “Our view is that the Xbox One with Kinect is the premium experience. The things you are able to do are pretty magical. I think that (early adopters) are hopefully delighted as well with their usage.”

Lastly, Medhi confirmed that Microsoft is now re-appraising Xbox One’s hardware architecture without Kinect, adding, “We are in discussions with our game publishers about what we might do in this space and we will have more to talk about soon.”

So, could it?

Extreme Poster
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    wow...is this real? this is a pretty big decision on their part. but a good one. i think the market is forcing them to do this. they need to get rid of their TV/ad revenue dreams and just focus on the thing being a gaming console first.

Extreme Poster
    ^they're not saying that. but every bit counts. all of this will help them stay competitive. sure, it has its goods and bads but really, it's a gaming console, i don't blame them to try and sell it as that first.

kinect seems interesting but honestly not enough justified imo because they didn't really focus on games with it. but surely some fans will not appreciate this, some will. i'm thinking most will appreciate this new.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    ^they're not saying that. but every bit counts. all of this will help them stay competitive. sure, it has its goods and bads but really, it's a gaming console, i don't blame them to try and sell it as that first. kinect seems interesting but honestly not enough justified imo because they didn't really focus on games with it. but surely some fans will not appreciate this, some will. i'm thinking most will appreciate this new.
    Yeah I just read it more carefully and so deleted my comment. As for the article I think this is a great decision. And the market has definitely forced them to do this but at least theyre responding and doing it.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 05-14-2014 at 17:48.

Super Elite
    A long time coming.
    Sent from my computer using keyboard.

Miqo'te Bard
    Items New User TitleProtect yourselfFull Metal AlchemistFangDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverBattlefield 3Title StyleUser name style
    So now no Kinect is the new holy grail, please
    I have twitter to https://twitter.com/GamerYuichi , Also started youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMu7yRGCz8QrTyxaNVR3Tqw I don't always twitch, but when I can you can find my noobness http://www.twitch.tv/yuichimccry,

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    So potentially better game performance for those who don't use Kinect? Yeah....I'm pretty much ok with that, but sounds like another burden for the devs to bear.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Supreme Veteran
    Supposedly, there's meant to be 10% used for Kinect but I think the developers already are working with 8% anyway, so in essence they'll have access to the other 2% if I remember correctly... What will that help with?

This was the problem with Don Mattrick's envision of the Xbox brand as opposed to that of J Allard's.

Microsoft were in a better position to go with more power, instead they went ahead with a camera being the central focus that consumers lost an interest in with the older console prior... X360 Kinect died off fast, so what do they do, make a new camera and gimp the hardware of the console. Stupid/arrogant thinking...

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    So potentially better game performance for those who don't use Kinect? Yeah....I'm pretty much ok with that, but sounds like another burden for the devs to bear.
    I don't think it means that necessarily. I understand it to mean that the game won't use Kinect at all so in essence that game will use all resources and basically make Kinect useless whilst playing that game.
    Gaming on all platforms right now.

Extreme Poster
    @Ahmad, there's no way they had 8% to work with because it would mean that Kinect would be rendered useless from the OS. which hasn't happened yet. it will likely happen as soon as this goes through. i'm sure you'll be able to connect it but i doubt you'll be able to use all the features you could before. maybe, i thought that's what they meant, i don't know if that will happen though.

topic: this would mean that everyone gets the performance gains. in other words, if the developer doesn't decide to input kinect stuff, they can make a better-performing game.

also, what does this mean for Kinect integration for menu controls? could've sworn the guy made it seem like that was going away too.

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by A7MAD View Post
    Supposedly, there's meant to be 10% used for Kinect but I think the developers already are working with 8% anyway, so in essence they'll have access to the other 2% if I remember correctly... What will that help with?

This was the problem with Don Mattrick's envision of the Xbox brand as opposed to that of J Allard's.

Microsoft were in a better position to go with more power, instead they went ahead with a camera being the central focus that consumers lost an interest in with the older console prior... X360 Kinect died off fast, so what do they do, make a new camera and gimp the hardware of the console. Stupid/arrogant thinking...
    Exactly. What did I want in the next Xbox? A next-gen 360. That's it. Sure....blu-ray, new controller, blah, but ultimately just upgraded hardware is what I wanted. geez.....Don Mattrick. Hope he enjoying Farmville. More his speed.

I don't think it means that necessarily. I understand it to mean that the game won't use Kinect at all so in essence that game will use all resources and basically make Kinect useless whilst playing that game.
    Hmmm, I think you are right. I was trying to figure out how they could do that when some gamers will have Kinect and others won't. It is going to have to be even so what you say makes sense.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Extreme Poster
    no they can't do that anymore because the OS is constantly running, they only thing they can do is disable those features when a game runs...which is likely what may happen.

the OS is taking up 10% of the console's resources in addition, mostly because of the kinect integration. if they want that 10% back, it means that the Kinect can only be implemented within a game and not outside (which would be constant).

OR Kinect features will be disabled when you are running a game...unless the game itself uses it. either way, it "seems" like the features will be disabled. because they are imbedded into the system. they need to be disabled in order to retrieve those resources for the games.

PSN ID
    IshTing
    Would this help with CPU or GPU? I remember MS stating that the GPU would recieve an 8% boost by making Kinect optional.

Friendship is Carrots
    I can't see this being a meaningful gain.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

Extreme Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    I can't see this being a meaningful gain.
    10%? oh yes.

Friendship is Carrots
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    10%? oh yes.
    Meh. I wish hardware could be simplified to percentages. In reality it's just not how it works.

I just don't see much really coming from it.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

16. Likes Admartian likes this post
    Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    The removal of the kinect = more power.

Last edited by keefy; 05-14-2014 at 21:39.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Meh. I wish hardware could be simplified to percentages. In reality it's just not how it works. I just don't see much really coming from it.
    Yeah I really dont either. This is just PR and damage control for the most part.

Power Member
    Items User name style
    I've been running over this in my head.

Here's the issues.

- A certain time slice (10%) ir reserved for Kinect and VR work.

- GPU time slice is used by Kinect using compute to do the skeletal tracking.

-Skeletal tracking is optional in a game

-VR isn't used in game but mandatory in O/S.

End result, to maintain game/os compatibility you could easily add a mode that disables skeletal tracking, but leaves VR time slice.

I think this is probably what they were working on anyway when they talked about giving devs more of that reserve.

If they can remove skeletal tracking, that frees up a chunk (small chunk) of the GPU back to devs.
    I am no longer participating in these forums, I wish all of you on the PSU Forums the best for the future.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Dude-in-the-Room
    I don't know what to think about this. If they do this....then the ppl with Kinect won't have a "premium" experience it you take away what makes it so "premium".

Then again...I'd like to get an One, but the high price tag, which seemed to be $100 for a over glorified web cam and mic seemed ridiculous....and this is a good thing for me.

At the same time...it's good that now ppl have a choice but then again...MS doesn't seem to know their own vision or at least can't stick to one.

Kinda makes you wonder.

Extreme Poster
    Meh. I wish hardware could be simplified to percentages. In reality it's just not how it works.

I just don't see much really coming from it.
    if we assume that the percentage is about right as far as resources are concerned then 10% would be a huge deal.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    So basically the developers are being told to not incorporate the Kinect in their games if they want the best performance.......

I also do not understand how the Xbox will all of a sudden have this extra power. The OS is still designed around the Kinect. There will need to be a complete update allowing users to completely disable everything Kinect related, and then allow the console to freely use that allotted power towards performance.

All of this sounds like bull****.

Forum Elder
    Items User name style
    I really don't see this ever happening, or amounting to much if it does.

Devs now have to assume that the game has a kinect, because the first 6 million do, and some portion of the ones they sell from now on will. Unless they go for dynamic changes, meaning some people get a different experience. Microsoft isn't going to stand for games on their own platform that don't look the same, since they already refuse to stand for games looking different between platforms. Kinect is going to haunt the Xbox One for the entire generation, either because developers have to include kinect features because of the part of the base that does have them, or because they can't really allow apparent differences between kinect and kinect less xbox ones.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by IshTing View Post

So, could it?
    How can this be true? (I'm not saying it can't be, I just don't see it being true for the reason being suggested.) What about Xbox One units that still have Kinect? And it's not like they are killing the product. They are just "unbundling" it.

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by sainraja View Post
    How can this be true? (I'm not saying it can't be, I just don't see it being true for the reason being suggested.) What about Xbox One units that still have Kinect? And it's not like they are killing the product. They are just "unbundling" it.
    If your aren't using Kinect, you should have the option to free up those skeletal tracking timeslices.
    This would apply to Kinect and kinectless devices equally. As I said earlier, I think they were already working towards this regardless of the sku.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I am no longer participating in these forums, I wish all of you on the PSU Forums the best for the future.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    If your aren't using Kinect, you should have the option to free up those skeletal tracking timeslices.
    This would apply to Kinect and kinectless devices equally. As I said earlier, I think they were already working towards this regardless of the sku.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Not all games out on the XONE right now use the Kinect, how do they benefit currently? (since it was required) and you're actually agreeing with me; that is what I was getting at, if there will be improvement it won't simply be because they "unbundled" Kinect. It was something they were working towards.

Thread Information