Latest PSU headlines:

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 5
    Extreme Poster
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercrow View Post
    Yep thats another one. And no way would PS2 have been able to run Halo the way it looked on Xbox.
    screw looks. it would need to be changed from the core to fit on the smaller memory of the PS2. PS2 didn't have a lot of raw power, it wasn't much easier than the PS3 to develop for. it had a VRAM of 4MB, how ****ing pathetic. still impressive what it could do with that little RAM but even DC had 8MB of VRAM...but sadly a total of 16MB (or was it 32MBs? EDIT: yup, 16MB lol) if I remember correctly. whereas PS2 had 48 total and Xbox had 64 total. and if i remember correctly, Xbox RAM was unified...or i don't remember hearing a different number for the VRAM.

EDIT: nvm the PS2 had 32MB of system RAM and 4MB of video ram lol. yeah, no wonder.
    Last edited by Omar; 05-22-2014 at 19:05.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    thanatos144
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercrow View Post
    Yep thats another one. And no way would PS2 have been able to run Halo the way it looked on Xbox.
    I dont see where you get that..... Halo was not all that graphically advanced.

Friendship is Carrots
    Quote Originally Posted by thanatos144 View Post
    Halo 1 was from 2001 and looked pretty good for the time. It had huge levels, impressive draw distance, real time lighting, reasonably good textures, particle effects, foliage, and there were several times where there were few dozen intelligent enemies moving on screen, sometimes fighting each other or even sneaking around. It had some level of texture-light scattering as exemplified in the ice levels. If you looked at the sun it would cast sunbeams. The game also had a splitscreen coop the whole campaign.

Don't even try to say Halo 2 didn't look good. That game looked gorgeous at the time.
    Last edited by Nerevar; 05-22-2014 at 19:39.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

Extreme Poster
    what game was more advanced looking than Halo?

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    thanatos144
    Quote Originally Posted by sufi View Post
    what game was more advanced looking than halo?
    mgs3, MGS2, Final Fantasy 10, ect, ect.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    thanatos144
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerevar View Post
    Halo 1 was from 2001 and looked pretty good for the time. It had huge levels, impressive draw distance, real time lighting, reasonably good textures, particle effects, foliage, and there were several times where there were few dozen intelligent enemies moving on screen, sometimes fighting each other or even sneaking around. It had some level of texture-light scattering as exemplified in the ice levels. If you looked at the sun it would cast sunbeams. The game also had a splitscreen coop the whole campaign.

Don't even try to say Halo 2 didn't look good. That game looked gorgeous at the time.
    2 was pretty. Yet we are talking Halo.

Friendship is Carrots
    mgs3
    That released three years after Halo did... And I wouldn't say it looked better. Certainly the character models but besides that Halo is more impressive (imo) because of what it's actually doing.

What games in 2001 stood up to Halo 1?
    Last edited by Nerevar; 05-22-2014 at 20:43.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Comparing the size of the OG Xbox to PS2 it's pretty obvious which one had more horsepower in it. How did this thread come to this discussion anyway?
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDug13
    I want Naughty Dog to explore new game genres, not regurgitate cinematic corridor shooters for another generation.

9. Likes Shingo likes this post
    Superior Member
    PSN ID
    thanatos144
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerevar View Post
    That released three years after Halo did... And I wouldn't say it looked better. Certainly the character models but besides that Halo is more impressive (imo) because of what it's actually doing.

What games in 2001 stood up to Halo 1?
    MGS2 is not younger then Halo.

Extreme Poster
    overall those games still did not look better. imo none of the PS2 games looked better than halo. if you look at the scope of the game and the effects (such as bump mapping, particles, shaders, not to mention AA) + AI (which takes resources) + details (terrain, props, objects such as vehicles etc) + draw distance.

there's no contest. if you haven't played Halo, you have no arguement here.
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronSOLDIER View Post
    Comparing the size of the OG Xbox to PS2 it's pretty obvious which one had more horsepower in it. How did this thread come to this discussion anyway?
    that has nothing to do with anything. they could've made a console as slim as the PS2. MS is just not good at making hardware because they don't own factories, they don't have backward integration thus no control over quality or efficiency + design efficiency.

also, if you believe that bigger things are generally more powerful (which in some rare context, can be true) then that would mean that the X1 was also much more powerful than the PS4, which isn't true.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Considering it released a year later was pretty much double or even triple the size of the PS2, then I'd assume it just was, like how a PC is generally more powerful than a laptop. Not like we're comparing the NES to the Wii with a 20 year gap.
    I want Naughty Dog to explore new game genres, not regurgitate cinematic corridor shooters for another generation.

Extreme Poster
    Considering it released a year later was pretty much double or even triple the size of the PS2, then I'd assume it just was, like how a PC is generally more powerful than a laptop. Not like we're comparing the NES to the Wii with a 20 year gap.
    yup but irrelevant right? because it doesn't matter if it's fair or not, the console was significantly more powerful and honestly i have yet to be impressed by a title as much as I was with Halo. meaning, i have seen better-looking games and all that but the slice of future that i had in 2001 has never been that good.

maybe GTA 5? a little. but really, nothing has ever been so "out of this world" pun intended.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Well I wouldn't go that far lol, Super Mario 64, TES Oblivion, GTA3, Drake's Fortune all stepped up massive notches over their predecessors in the graphics department (except Uncharted since it was a new IP, but that was the first next gen game that blew me away, Gears/UE3 never quite did it for me).

Extreme Poster
    Well I wouldn't go that far lol, Super Mario 64, TES Oblivion, GTA3, Drake's Fortune all stepped up massive notches over their predecessors in the graphics department (except Uncharted since it was a new IP, but that was the first next gen game that blew me away, Gears/UE3 never quite did it for me).
    of course those games did step up, what i meant was, for me personally, Halo kind of did something that i really never experienced afterwards.

it's like when you first played GTA 3 on the PS2. it was like...wow...this is possible? and then no other game touched GTA...they came close but never touched it the same way.

Halo was a sci-fi movie for me.

Thread Information