Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst ... 2
    Apprentice
    it's going to be "official hard drives only", then 180'd to "we were just getting the firmware right" to support ntfs! we were only thinking of you! our customer.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by sainraja View Post
    Lets rewind a little bit, you really think MS would shoot themselves in the foot with a online DRM requirement every 24 hours? Oh wait...
    It never got implemented, so it didn't happen. The outcome would have been the same either way.

Quote Originally Posted by mistercrow View Post
    A better question seriously? lol You say that but then you ask me would shoot themselves in the foot with support for a proprietary hdd? Well lets see here, MS shot themselves in the foot launching a 500 dollar console because of a mandatory camera that nobody wants and passing the cost of it onto the consumer.Going with weaker graphics hardware in order to accomodate their Kinect and multimedia vision. DRM with 24hr check ins (they wisely backed down from that before launch). After seeing MS do all of that its actually still unthinkable to you that they would try to sell us a proprietary hdd? Really? All things considered I'd have to ask you if yours is a serious question. lol And of course MS has now had to abandon their entire vision to the point that the X1 has now become nothing more than a PS4 with weaker hardware. The end result of design choices made in pursuit of the casual market. So do I think MS would shoot themselves in the foot you ask? Absolutely.
    Lets talk about the present. Do you think MS would have made the various recent announcements regarding X1 changes only to reverse course and limit external storage to a proprietary option?

Let's look at it another way. They have been talking about external HDD support since shortly after the X1 launched. Do you really think they would wait 8 months (assuming the ability is released around E3) only to announce that External HDD support is now available....only with a proprietary HDD? Really 8 months to wait for that? It wouldn't be complicated to create a proprietary HDD and put it in he market in less than 8 months. As opposed to allowing people to use their own HDD's which would take longer to implement.

And again, it isn't hard to see the path they would take based on what happened with the 360 with usb flash drive support.

Finally all that you mentioned was done under old leadership. Not phil spencer. Do you really think phil spencer would make a decision like only allowing for proprietary hdd's.

Logically speaking, with a new person in charge it wouldn't make any sense for them to make a decision in line with the old management's line of thinking.

Also a lot of what you mentioned is similar to what sony did with the PS3, and they did just fine.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    It never got implemented, so it didn't happen. The outcome would have been the same either way. Lets talk about the present. Do you think MS would have made the various recent announcements regarding X1 changes only to reverse course and limit external storage to a proprietary option? Let's look at it another way. They have been talking about external HDD support since shortly after the X1 launched. Do you really think they would wait 8 months (assuming the ability is released around E3) only to announce that External HDD support is now available....only with a proprietary HDD? Really 8 months to wait for that? It wouldn't be complicated to create a proprietary HDD and put it in he market in less than 8 months. As opposed to allowing people to use their own HDD's which would take longer to implement. And again, it isn't hard to see the path they would take based on what happened with the 360 with usb flash drive support. Finally all that you mentioned was done under old leadership. Not phil spencer. Do you really think phil spencer would make a decision like only allowing for proprietary hdd's. Logically speaking, with a new person in charge it wouldn't make any sense for them to make a decision in line with the old management's line of thinking. Also a lot of what you mentioned is similar to what sony did with the PS3, and they did just fine.
    For the sake of X1 owners lets hope youre right.

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    It never got implemented, so it didn't happen. The outcome would have been the same either way.

Lets talk about the present. Do you think MS would have made the various recent announcements regarding X1 changes only to reverse course and limit external storage to a proprietary option?

Let's look at it another way. They have been talking about external HDD support since shortly after the X1 launched. Do you really think they would wait 8 months (assuming the ability is released around E3) only to announce that External HDD support is now available....only with a proprietary HDD? Really 8 months to wait for that? It wouldn't be complicated to create a proprietary HDD and put it in he market in less than 8 months. As opposed to allowing people to use their own HDD's which would take longer to implement.

And again, it isn't hard to see the path they would take based on what happened with the 360 with usb flash drive support.

Finally all that you mentioned was done under old leadership. Not phil spencer. Do you really think phil spencer would make a decision like only allowing for proprietary hdd's.

Logically speaking, with a new person in charge it wouldn't make any sense for them to make a decision in line with the old management's line of thinking.

Also a lot of what you mentioned is similar to what sony did with the PS3, and they did just fine.
    But this is a bit different than last gen, isn't it? You couldn't install games to USB drives (am I correct here?) which is what MS is proposing you will be able to do with X1 since you cannot replace the hard drive without voiding the warranty. I'm not sure that it makes a difference and I agree that MS more than likely will support any third party drives.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    But this is a bit different than last gen, isn't it? You couldn't install games to USB drives (am I correct here?) which is what MS is proposing you will be able to do with X1 since you cannot replace the hard drive without voiding the warranty. I'm not sure that it makes a difference and I agree that MS more than likely will support any third party drives.
    Yes that is correct.

Based on all the information we know (past and current), the likelihood of external HDD support for a proprietary drive is pretty slim.

About the only thing I can think of that may be a limitation is the likelihood of a speed test (like with usb flash drives on the 360) to see if an external drive is fast enough for proper functionality.

Thread Information